3 islands, 2 weeks, 1 amazing honeymoon! COMPLETED 1/14!

I think your timing on the Big Island may have had something to do with the lack of the Aloha feeling.

Disclaimer, I have done two full Ironman races and around 20 half Ironman races. I'm saying this as an insight to the statements I'm about to make.

Those who live on the Big Island are not fond of the race. My sister and I were on the Big Island, staying in Waikoloa, two years ago during the week of the race. It was very eye-opening for me and I was incredibly embarrassed by the behaviors of those racing and those who were there to support an athlete. Athletes were riding facing traffic on the Queen K, GU packets and water bottles littered the ground, and athletes acting like they owned the place.

An example: Hawi is my favorite town in the world. There is a coffee shop there, Kahala Coffee Mill, that we always stop at for lunch, ice cream, baked goods, etc. My sister and I stopped there in the morning to grab some banana bread and coffee on our way to a hike, but there was no place to sit and we couldn't even get in. Several hours later, the same people were sitting at the same tables, with their computers. These same people had their race bikes propped up anywhere they could. We walked in to get a sandwich and the poor employees were overwhelmed by the actions and behaviors of those there. So we walked across the street and had fantastic BBQ at Bamboo.

DH now teaches with a science teacher who lived in Kona for 25 years. She said that those who live there know they need to stock up in the grocery stores on anything the athletes will buy. This will not just be protein bars, and Gatorade, but eggs, milk, cheeses, chocolate, yogurt, etc. because there will be none of that after the athletes hit the area. Some athletes get there a month before the race to train. And these are just age groupers like me, not the pros!

I was so embarrassed by the behaviors of my fellow triathletes that I stopped wearing my Ironman Boulder hat and any IM shirts I had with me.

So the lack of Aloha we felt was directly correlated to the race. We are convinced. And my DH's co-worker confirmed our feelings. She said the worst time to travel to the Big Island is around the race.

I think you and Jake need a redo on your Big Island honeymoon. Fly into Hilo, stay at Volcano House for a few nights, and then drive to the Kona side for a week. Fly out of Kona. Just don't do it after mid-September. ;)

I'm only on Day 4 but having a great time reading about your fantastic honeymoon!
Someday I'll get to Aulani- we did spend our Honeymoon on Oahu- but it was 17.5 years ago, and it didn't exist! <3

Did you get your snow day Friday??? We did!! Although I’m ready to get out now after being cooped up a few days- be careful what you wish for :laughing:

The day was a bit anxiety-producing but could have been a lot worse- I’m SO thankful that Jake is really laid back and easy to travel with :)
We did!!! Even though the storm kind of fizzled out and turned into more stinking rain! We live a few miles from the lake, which definitely effected how much/little snow we ended up with. And actually off today, too, due to the really low temps and wind chill.

How freakin' magical to see the sea turtle while snorkeling!!!!! I agree it would be amazing to have pictures or video of it, but there is just something so cool about having it as a memory that just you and Jake share. Goosebumps!

Also, don’t mind my dead bridal bouquet in the background :sad:. I couldn’t bear to part with it- it’s actually still sitting in a vase in our apartment to this day!
I couldn't throw away mine either! It's still sitting on a shelf in the basement by the washer and dryer LOL 17 1/2 years of flower petals disintegrating, and I'm always like, "ROB! Don't touch that; we're not throwing it out!!" 🤣

What a beautiful bride! Thanks for sharing your honeymoon.

I‘m with you the Big Island was fine but Honolulu was my favourite. We cruised over from Vancouver and stayed at the Royal Hawaiian on the 15 th floor had a great veiw and beach. We were there a week before moving to Aulani . Running joke for us was all the ABC stores. I well have to pick up one of those candles!

Can’t wait to read your next trip report.
Thank you so much!! :lovestruc I loved all of the ABC stores too haha, they had so many goodies there! I actually saw lots of fun candles at the ABC stores too- but I had literally no more space in my suitcase to squeeze anything else!
I enjoyed reading your trip report and picked up a few tips! I'll be going to the Big Island and Oahu next month (for a total of 17 days). Can't wait!
Thank you!! Ahhh, so much fun- I hope you have the best time :)
I just loved reading your honeymoon report Molly.

Once again, congratulations and cheers to many happy, healthy years together!
Thank you so much for reading and commenting along :goodvibes 4 months in... so far, so good :thumbsup2
Thanks for the amazing trip report. I really enjoyed following along. It sounds like it was the perfect honeymoon. All of your pictures were so cute.
Thank you so much :) I really tried to take a lot of pictures and just savor all of the sights! We miss it so much :love:
I think your timing on the Big Island may have had something to do with the lack of the Aloha feeling.

Disclaimer, I have done two full Ironman races and around 20 half Ironman races. I'm saying this as an insight to the statements I'm about to make.

Those who live on the Big Island are not fond of the race. My sister and I were on the Big Island, staying in Waikoloa, two years ago during the week of the race. It was very eye-opening for me and I was incredibly embarrassed by the behaviors of those racing and those who were there to support an athlete. Athletes were riding facing traffic on the Queen K, GU packets and water bottles littered the ground, and athletes acting like they owned the place.

An example: Hawi is my favorite town in the world. There is a coffee shop there, Kahala Coffee Mill, that we always stop at for lunch, ice cream, baked goods, etc. My sister and I stopped there in the morning to grab some banana bread and coffee on our way to a hike, but there was no place to sit and we couldn't even get in. Several hours later, the same people were sitting at the same tables, with their computers. These same people had their race bikes propped up anywhere they could. We walked in to get a sandwich and the poor employees were overwhelmed by the actions and behaviors of those there. So we walked across the street and had fantastic BBQ at Bamboo.

DH now teaches with a science teacher who lived in Kona for 25 years. She said that those who live there know they need to stock up in the grocery stores on anything the athletes will buy. This will not just be protein bars, and Gatorade, but eggs, milk, cheeses, chocolate, yogurt, etc. because there will be none of that after the athletes hit the area. Some athletes get there a month before the race to train. And these are just age groupers like me, not the pros!

I was so embarrassed by the behaviors of my fellow triathletes that I stopped wearing my Ironman Boulder hat and any IM shirts I had with me.

So the lack of Aloha we felt was directly correlated to the race. We are convinced. And my DH's co-worker confirmed our feelings. She said the worst time to travel to the Big Island is around the race.

I think you and Jake need a redo on your Big Island honeymoon. Fly into Hilo, stay at Volcano House for a few nights, and then drive to the Kona side for a week. Fly out of Kona. Just don't do it after mid-September. ;)
Hmmm, I never thought about it that way! To be honest, we were expecting the race to be MORE of a big deal than it actually was?? I feel like Kona wasn't super congested, and although we saw bikers/runners practicing, they were never disruptive or invasive. But, maybe it could have contributed to crowds and just general clientele? There's a reason why I never visit WDW around marathon weekend!

I'm sure we'll make it back to the Big Island someday!! I'm so excited to also finally visit Maui and compare/contrast :) Thank you for following along and sharing your insight!!
Loved following along! Looks like an amazing honeymoon, congrats!
Thank you so much :) It was incredible and it was so much fun to re-live it through writing!
I'm only on Day 4 but having a great time reading about your fantastic honeymoon!
Someday I'll get to Aulani- we did spend our Honeymoon on Oahu- but it was 17.5 years ago, and it didn't exist! <3
Thank you so much! :) Hawaii honeymoons are really the best- I just love everything about Oahu!!
We did!!! Even though the storm kind of fizzled out and turned into more stinking rain! We live a few miles from the lake, which definitely effected how much/little snow we ended up with. And actually off today, too, due to the really low temps and wind chill.

How freakin' magical to see the sea turtle while snorkeling!!!!! I agree it would be amazing to have pictures or video of it, but there is just something so cool about having it as a memory that just you and Jake share. Goosebumps!

I couldn't throw away mine either! It's still sitting on a shelf in the basement by the washer and dryer LOL 17 1/2 years of flower petals disintegrating, and I'm always like, "ROB! Don't touch that; we're not throwing it out!!" 🤣
I'm glad you got your snow/cold days in!! Seeing the turtle was really the perfect end to a perfect honeymoon :)

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one!! It's still sitting in my room :laughing: One of my bridesmaids, Morgan, actually sent me an Etsy link to a lady will paint a picture of your bouquet that you can hang on your walls. You send her a couple pictures and she paints an exact replica! I need to do that soon- what a creative and memorable keepsake to have, and a fun decoration too!

Hmmm, I never thought about it that way! To be honest, we were expecting the race to be MORE of a big deal than it actually was?? I feel like Kona wasn't super congested, and although we saw bikers/runners practicing, they were never disruptive or invasive. But, maybe it could have contributed to crowds and just general clientele? There's a reason why I never visit WDW around marathon weekend!

I'm sure we'll make it back to the Big Island someday!! I'm so excited to also finally visit Maui and compare/contrast :) Thank you for following along and sharing your insight!!
This is the first year that IM had a separate location for the men - they raced in Nice, France a few weeks prior to the Women's race on Kona this year. If it had been both women and men, the crowds would have been almost double. They increased the size of the women's race this year, but still wasn't as big as years past.

I'm really glad that the athletes were better behaved this year. Last year it was crazy and embarrassing.

Hi again!

Ok, I PROMISE that I will finish this baby up in a couple days :laughing: But I have to show you just a couple more Bath and Body Works finds!!

Please don’t judge me- I’m more than aware that I have a problem ::yes:: I’m at that store about once a week! I have a strong olfactory memory and nothing brightens my mood more than my favorite scents!

View attachment 825667

Although it’s called “Meet Me In Miami”, this body spray smells exactly like the Royal Hawaiian hotel in Waikiki!! Remember at the beginning of my TR how I said I loved the smell there?

View attachment 825666

And THIS candle smells exactly like the Riviera resort at WDW!!

So, if you’re missing vacation and need some Hawaii/Disney World smells in your life, I got you :thumbsup2

Back to regularly scheduled programming next week!

I have teenage daughters who are CRAZY about this store. We don’t have it at home (NZ) so is always the first place we hit up and they take home a haul…

Their obsession finally came in handy when the pandemic hit as we must have had 20 or so mini hand sanitisers we could finally use!

What a great TR! I loved following along with you! Reminded me of my honeymoon which I was on 5 years ago this week! Wish I was there now since it is gonna be COLD this week! I have to agree with your assessment of the Big Island. It just seemed too much like "home" for me. We were on the cruise and docked in like a strip mall. I can shop at the GAP here! I dont need the GAP in Hawaii!

How fun to snorkel with a turtle! We saw them swimming but not on the day we were able to snorkel, which we did on a black sand beach! I would have been right there with you stalking him the while time!

That Toffee looks so good! I love the macadamia nuts. Macadamia nut ice cream ended up being my favorite Hawaiian treat. My husband made fun of me because I made him stop so I could get one every time I saw it!

Hopping over to your new TR! Disney is so different and special when you see it through the eyes of a toddler! Our last trip we let my (then) 2.5 year old dictate what we did. My mom and I have no complaints that we barely made it out of fantasy land. She was just in her element! We are taking her back in April as her potty training reward!

I have teenage daughters who are CRAZY about this store. We don’t have it at home (NZ) so is always the first place we hit up and they take home a haul…

Their obsession finally came in handy when the pandemic hit as we must have had 20 or so mini hand sanitisers we could finally use!
Haha, I love this!! I can't imagine not having a B&BW nearby!! I would go insane ::yes:: Your poor daughters! Is there a good alternative in NZ??
What a great TR! I loved following along with you! Reminded me of my honeymoon which I was on 5 years ago this week! Wish I was there now since it is gonna be COLD this week! I have to agree with your assessment of the Big Island. It just seemed too much like "home" for me. We were on the cruise and docked in like a strip mall. I can shop at the GAP here! I dont need the GAP in Hawaii!

How fun to snorkel with a turtle! We saw them swimming but not on the day we were able to snorkel, which we did on a black sand beach! I would have been right there with you stalking him the while time!

That Toffee looks so good! I love the macadamia nuts. Macadamia nut ice cream ended up being my favorite Hawaiian treat. My husband made fun of me because I made him stop so I could get one every time I saw it!

Hopping over to your new TR! Disney is so different and special when you see it through the eyes of a toddler! Our last trip we let my (then) 2.5 year old dictate what we did. My mom and I have no complaints that we barely made it out of fantasy land. She was just in her element! We are taking her back in April as her potty training reward!
Thank you so much!! UGHHHH it's been so cold here too!! Today felt so warm because it's the first day it's been above zero all week!! But it was still only 7 degrees :laughing:

The Big Island was definitely a paradox- there were things that we loved and things that we did not. We felt the same way about Kauai, but the things we loved GREATLY overshadowed the things we did not. In hindsight, the Big Island didn't stand a chance, because we loved Kauai so much and anything would seem disappointing after leaving there.

Oh I consumed SO much ice cream and sugar on this trip! That's what vacation is for right?? I still can't think about stomaching shave ice though :rotfl:

You're the type of person I strive to be when traveling with kids :thumbsup2 Luckily, I've been to Disney enough where I can now say that I can be go-with-the-flow and let the kids dictate everything. But, 6 years ago, I would have needed a Xanax, haha!!

Haha, I love this!! I can't imagine not having a B&BW nearby!! I would go insane ::yes:: Your poor daughters! Is there a good alternative in NZ??
Sadly (or luckily?) nothing quite like it. We do have Body Shop, that’s as close as I can think of but they really aren’t the same! It is in Australia and I have a couple trips a year for work so invariably stock up for them…

I loved reading this report, thank you for sharing. Hawaii is on my list of travel places and I wish we had done this trip before having kids.

I loved reading this report, thank you for sharing. Hawaii is on my list of travel places and I wish we had done this trip before having kids.

Thank you so much for reading along!!! :) Depending on how old your kids are, it could still be a great trip!! DEFINITELY check out Aulani if you can- it is a kid's paradise!!

I was reading your report and then the holidays happened and I lost it, now I am glad to be back and have finished it up! I took notes in my phone. We plan to go there for my daughter's graduation in 2030, which seems forever but I know it will be here before I know it!

I loved hearing all your food notes but of course, had a chuckle at the Taco Bell bookends!

Off to follow your pre-trip report!

I was reading your report and then the holidays happened and I lost it, now I am glad to be back and have finished it up! I took notes in my phone. We plan to go there for my daughter's graduation in 2030, which seems forever but I know it will be here before I know it!

I loved hearing all your food notes but of course, had a chuckle at the Taco Bell bookends!

Off to follow your pre-trip report!
Haha absolutely no worries at all, glad you were able to finish it!! :) It's never too early to start taking notes; especially as your girls grow, I feel like time will just go by SO fast!!

What can I say, I'm a sucker for Taco Bell :laughing: But I haven't had it since!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter