• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

30 Minute Connection in MSP?

HollyH

Are we there yet!!!!!
For our Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver, our Delta flight was just changed leaving us with only a 30 minute connection time in Minneapolis.

Never connected through Minneapolis before. Multiple terminals? Gates close together? Easy connections?

Love advise from anyone who has been through there before we stress the inevitable run for it.

TIA!

Hand pick some sets of alternate flights (nonstops not ruled out) you would like and then phone your airline and quietly ask for a re-change. But do not agree to pay more. If you get any resistance, hang up, wait an hour, and try again. If you still get resistance ask to speak to a supervisor.

Thirty minute connections are for business travelers who are on the road, er, in the air, many times a year and want to minimize said time. Not for us Joe Sixpacks and Ma & Pa Kettles.

Last edited:
I'd call Delta and have them change your onward flight or inbound flight. If everything lines up perfectly you can barely make that connection, but that's a non-bookable connection per Delta's policies, which require a 35 minute connection in MSP for almost all flights, and 30 minutes for a very few where they know the gates are close. MSP airport is probably the easiest hub to connect through, but that's still way too tight to connect a mainline jet to a regional jet.

Presuming you're in coach, you would be making that connection about 5 minutes before the door closes.

Flightaware can search all Delta flights between each city pair on a specific date so you can be prepared before you call up. This rebooking will be free since they made the schedule change.

I would call Delta to change your itinerary since that change puts you in a layover period that is not desirable and probably meets the requirements for a free flight change.

MSP is a beautiful airport, but it is large. Delta uses almost all of the gate corridors in Terminal 1. I would assume that at this point, the gates for your flights are not published - you may be able to look at prior gates for the legs on flightaware on previous flights. If timing works perfectly and the gates are in the same corridor - it might work. Anything less than that - it's a stretch. A 30-minute layover is from landing to takeoff - airlines close the gates before takeoff time - I don't know Delta's allowance, but the gate will definitely be closed before published takeoff time if everything is on schedule.

There are multiple terminal at the Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport (MSP), but Delta only uses the Lindbergh Terminal (the big one). There are 8 concourses. To get between concourses, there are moving walkways and a tram that runs long the length of Concourse C. Access to Concourse B is through an underground tunnel.

minneapolis-airport-terminal-map-resize.jpg

Image Source: http://www.aviationexplorer.com/airport_terminal_maps/minneapolis-airport-terminal-map.jpg

For a huge airport, it's pretty easy to get around. The times people mention are known as minimum connection times (MCT). There's not an official MCT for the airport because they are based on both where the flight is coming from and where the next flight is going. For example, if you're flying from one small city in Minnesota/Wisconsin to another small city, the MCT might actually be only 25 minutes because those flight only operate from Concourse B.

That said, while 30 minutes is probably "legal" according to Delta, it will be the shortest allowed connection. As seashoreCM notes, a 30-minutes connection should probably be limited to frequent travelers who know MSP well.

Delta is pretty great about this sort of thing. Take the advice given and see if there is another combination of flights that work for you. Once you decide, call Delta and request the change. I doubt any agent will refuse or try to make you pay more. If they do, just say "no thanks" and call back. But, this should be an easy problem to resolve.

Thanks everyone. Great advise. We're originating in Louisville. Flying in the day before. This is for the 9/02 DCL out of Vancouver so definitely no gate assignments yet. Checked flight aware for SDFMSP times and all flights yesterday arrived early by 15-20minutes. Connecting gates were close together (C6 to C3).

Not a lot of options out of Louisville and most alternatives were dbl connects (ugh). Still, need reassurance so I'm going to call. We booked through Disney's air program, so I'm assuming I'll need to go through them first. Good news is there are later flights should we miss this connection.

Thanks again and thanks for the map writerguyfl.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the PP. It looks like a 30 minute connection is legal. I checked, the flights are currently bookable. In a perfect world I would prefer a longer connection. Make sure you're ready to go. Sit near the front of your first flight. Make sure you don't need a food or bathroom break at MSP. You want to be able to easily move your carry on bags. Pay to check an extra bag, if necessary. Does your first flight have a history of landing early. My reasons:
  1. You booked through Disney. You need to talk to Disney not Delta.
  2. Delta may not be willing to make a change for a third party booking.
  3. Disney and/or Delta get to make the choice as to alternate flights. You may be limited to flights Disney has available, consolidator tickets.
  4. You may wind up with really bad flights, double connection with lots of time to explore 2 or more airports.
  5. Make your connecting flight your schedule is great
  6. Miss your connecting flight, DL accommodates you on a later flight.
  7. Good chance what you get with 6 is as good or better then whatever Disney offers if you push the point
Regulars on a cruise board insist cruise line air is never a good option. You don't have control of your reservation. You frequently wind up with consolidator fares. A fare bucket which can put you on the bottom of the list if flight issues require changes.

As long as you have your PNR from Delta I would call them and ask them if there is anything that can be done. I had originally booked flights from MSP-MCO that had a connection in ATL. Delta changed one of the flights so that it didn't meet MCT in ATL, they changed that one to a non-stop at no charge. The next week they changed the other flight so that it just barely met MCT. Once I called and explained why I was concerned about it they also changed that one to a non-stop at no additional charge. The worst they can do is tell you no.

Assuming you're in Main Cabin or Basic Economy on your first flight, I'd be hard pressed to say you'd make that connection with any time to spare. Assuming that the gates are on the same Concourse, if they're different or you come in to A, it would be very difficult. Not to mention your bags, with an international connection and the fact you're going on a cruise, I'd try very hard to have something changed.

How can 30 minutes meet MCT on an international transfer? FlyerTalk lists 35 minutes but that still seems really low to me.

On the bright side, if you end up with a longer layover at MSP, try the donut burger. Otherwise it's not uncommon for the flights to arrive a little faster than scheduled.

On the bright side, if you end up with a longer layover at MSP, try the donut burger. Otherwise it's not uncommon for the flights to arrive a little faster than scheduled.
If you are going to eat there, which it looks good, you have to get the Jucy Lucy. The best hamburger in the known universe. In the interests of full disclosure, I grew up 6 blocks from where it was invented, Matt's Bar in Minneapolis, and it's what my wife and I had on our first date.

How can 30 minutes meet MCT on an international transfer? FlyerTalk lists 35 minutes but that still seems really low to me.
35 minutes is a domestic to domestic transfer, and Delta runs their MCT about the lowest in the industry.

And no, there's no way to clear customs in that time. However, you usually clear customs in Vancouver through CBP preclearance, shortening it or eliminating it in MSP. Unless the OP is flying out of SEA of course, which is fairly common. When I cruised into Vancouver I took the Amtrak Cascades down to catch the flight and it was 100% worth it, gorgeous scenery right along the Pacific ocean.

35 minutes is a domestic to domestic transfer, and Delta runs their MCT about the lowest in the industry.

And no, there's no way to clear customs in that time. However, you usually clear customs in Vancouver through CBP preclearance, shortening it or eliminating it in MSP. Unless the OP is flying out of SEA of course, which is fairly common. When I cruised into Vancouver I took the Amtrak Cascades down to catch the flight and it was 100% worth it, gorgeous scenery right along the Pacific ocean.
Except OP is flying in the day before their cruise. Isn't KY still part of the US? OP won't have to clear customs in MSY.
EAcarlson. OP booked through Disney not directly through DL. According to FT MCT, DL in MSP is 30 minutes D to D and 35 minutes D to I. Looks like layover is 32 minutes. Looks like DL is using domestic rule for flight to Canada. OPs first flight is on a regional jet, under 100 seats.

OP said the alternative offer required a double connection. Flying in the day before. I'd rather give the connection a shot then change to a double connection.

Last edited:
Except OP is flying in the day before their cruise. (snip)
Flying in the day before. I'd rather give the connection a shot then change to a double connection.
Since you had the foresight to fly in a day early, which is an excellent idea in any event, is the tour operator going to take any responsibility if a double connection resulting from missing the too tight connection should cause you to miss the cruise ship anyway?

Write, using paper, to both the airline and the tour operator for the purpose of going on record that you feel dissatisfied because you selected flights with a connection time better for you and the airline made the change to a less desirable connection time.

Or write for a full refund if there are no alternate flights that fit your vacation schedule and work schedule.

In any event I would suggest buying trip insurance now if not already. There are too many other reasons, too verbose to discuss here, why your trip might not complete as planned.

In case you are wondering, statistically one in four flights arrives more than 15 minutes late.

Last edited:
In case you are wondering, statistically one in four flights arrives more than 15 minutes late.
Irrelevant. The issue is how often is the OPs initial flight delay and how often is the connecting flight delayed. Using your logic passengers would miss their connecting flight more then once a week.

I wouldn't worry. Later non stop flights are available to Vancouver.There are numerous flights msp to sea. Flights and ground transportation are available from Seattle to Vancouver.

Make your connection and you'll have half a day to hit one or two highlights of vancouver

I am late to this discussion. Hope that this has already been resolved for you. I connect at MSP to MCO all the time. I'm older so I don't travel quickly through any airport. I MIGHT be okay with a 1 hr or 1 1/2 hr connection, but definitely feel more comfortable with two hours. My son is quick and travels with a carry on only so is okay with less time. Sometimes my flight lands in F and I need to get to A for the next flight. Even with using available cart rides and the tram on C, a 35 minute connection would be difficult or maybe even impossible to make. It would require the first flight landing early, being seated toward the front of the plane, hurrying and everything going as planned. A 35 minute connection with side by side gates would make me uneasy.

I always book early and often flight times are changed. When the change doesn't work out, I do as was previously mentioned - look up flights for that day that would work for me and call Delta. They are very accommodating when they change flight times and you need to switch.

MSP is a very nice airport and well laid out, but depending on the gates, it does take some time to travel through it.

If you are going to eat there, which it looks good, you have to get the Jucy Lucy. The best hamburger in the known universe. In the interests of full disclosure, I grew up 6 blocks from where it was invented, Matt's Bar in Minneapolis, and it's what my wife and I had on our first date.

Jucy Lucy = amazing. Prefer 5-8, though

The best thing to do is to get a seat as close to the front of the plane. That way you don't have to waste time waiting for people ahead of you to get off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter