• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

$300 price difference to change stateroom to verandah - yes or no?

ali_in_al

Mouseketeer
My boys (13 and 10) and I are very excited about our upcoming first ever cruise this fall! Out of curiosity, I checked today on what it would cost to change our stateroom from a deluxe oceanview to deluxe oceanview with verandah, and it would be about $300 more overall. $300 is a lot of money to me, but I wonder if that is a 'good' deal and I should go for it. I did not initially price out verandah staterooms as I figured they would just be too out of reach. Then again, we're just very excited to be going on a cruise at all, so we would not be disappointed with our original stateroom. Any opinions one way or the other? I realize that everyone is different and some would never sail without verandah and some couldn't care less. Hmm...darn Libra indecisiveness.

Oh yes. Definitely. How long is your cruise? can make it also much more worth it as well. JW

Just curious, is it still the same area of the ship? Where was your oceanview compared to where the verandah will be?

I'm a Libra too and second guess everything! My husband and I love the veranda but my son could have cared less about it. He was out there maybe 30 minutes the entire 7 day cruise. Just too many other things to do. I would say if it is a 3 or maybe even a 4 day cruise I wouldn't upgrade since you probably will not be in your room much anyway and the value goes down. However, if it is a 7 day cruise then it is a steal for only $300 more and I would definitely go for it. IMHO it's worth it to be able to rest and unwind after a long day on you own veranda. Especially if the kids are in the kids club and you have it all to yourself!

I wouldn't. It might set up the expectation that you'll always cruise that way and $300 is an excursion or something else you can really make memories with. But then we always do inside rooms because we're never in the room except to sleep.

If you're happy with the room you have and the $300 is a lot of money to you, I'd save the money. You can use it for excursions or put it towards a placeholder for a future cruise.

Your kids will probably want to do the kids' clubs a lot, so where do you see yourself spending your time? We love a verandah, but DH is a homebody that likes his privacy. He spends his time on the balcony with a book or just relaxing. I like to be out and about. I like the balcony, but I could live without it, as I am often out of the room.

Also, isn't 8534 a sleeps 3? Is it just the three of you going? It will be a sofa that turns into a single bed and then the queen bed. Will you sleep with one of the kids or give them the bed?

For us a verandah is a must, but we are going with a whitewall this time as the $400 extra wasn't worth it for us to have the plexiglass but I wouldn't go without one. We love sitting on our verandah we spend most of our time on it. We aren't in to getting off the ship at ports or spending a lot of time on ship activities. Consider what is important to you and then go from there.

We've cruised with and without. It depends on your style and how much time you'll spend in your room. For us, it would be totally worth it. We LOVED our veranda, but we also prefer quiet relaxation to being in the midst of people all the time. If you can trust your kids on the veranda, you might appreciate the extra elbow room. If it would give you a heart attack for them to be out there, it's not worth the hassle. I don't think you have to worry about setting a precedent. It's a special treat - and those don't happen all the time. If you want to spend the extra $300, go for it. If not, save the money for excursions.

Having a verandah, to me, is what cruising is all about. Such a personal choice. Did you by chance see if there are any 7As, the "Navigators Verandah" available? They might be a tad cheaper, they have a small obstruction but would be totally worth it for the price savings.

If you're happy with the room you have and the $300 is a lot of money to you, I'd save the money. You can use it for excursions or put it towards a placeholder for a future cruise.

Your kids will probably want to do the kids' clubs a lot, so where do you see yourself spending your time? We love a verandah, but DH is a homebody that likes his privacy. He spends his time on the balcony with a book or just relaxing. I like to be out and about. I like the balcony, but I could live without it, as I am often out of the room.

Also, isn't 8534 a sleeps 3? Is it just the three of you going? It will be a sofa that turns into a single bed and then the queen bed. Will you sleep with one of the kids or give them the bed?

It will be the 3 of us (I'm divorced from their dad), and we are used to travelling as a party of three with them sharing a bed and me with my own spot (couch, bed, whatever!). They are not excited about the clubs at this point, but I hope they change their mind once on board (we are all kind of homebodies though so who knows).

It will be the 3 of us (I'm divorced from their dad), and we are used to travelling as a party of three with them sharing a bed and me with my own spot (couch, bed, whatever!). They are not excited about the clubs at this point, but I hope they change their mind once on board (we are all kind of homebodies though so who knows).
Then you might enjoy and use the verandah.

If you stay in 8506, however, you can have the queen bed to yourself and put them in the bunk and sofa pullman, as that room sleeps 4 (assumes 2 in the queen bed).

If there are a couple of verandah rooms available for that price, check on this thread to see if it says how many beds it has. You might find a verandah that sleeps 4 (ie: includes the bunk) for that price.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...pdated-list-of-rooms-needed-1st-post.3194826/

On my recent 11 night cruise, the only time we were in the room for more than changing/grabbing stuff/getting ready for bed/sleeping, was when I was waiting for laundry to be done - so maybe 2 hours total over 12 days. I'd save the $300 for something else, personally. There are enough other places to go sit outside, as far as I'm concerned.

Having a verandah is nice but a 4 nights cruise goes by so fast... If you are not going to be in the room a lot, it's not worth the investment. Our three first cruises we had verandah and then realized we never spent more than 20-30 minutes/day on it.

We have tried an inside room for the first time last spring (and compensated by having breakfast outside of Cabanas every morning). We had a very good time, did not miss the verandah one bit.

I wouldn't. You said 300 is a lot of money to you, and it's only for 4 nights. That's almost 80 more per night for a veranda. I would save your money.

Me too! I liked being able to look out our window without being out in the humidity, heat, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter