4/16-6/29 Toy Story Mania Facts & Discussion - NEWS: Ride Open w/Same Day FP (6/19-29)

I could be wrong but I don't remember reading specifically that they were going to resume. I thought it was left very open ended about what would happen May 8th. With the precident is giving out same day FPS this last week I wouldn't be surprised to see that.

The wdwmagic article says: "The work is expected to be completed by May 7 2018, which will then see the FastPass line return to operation"
Whereas wdwnt says: "Fastpass+ reservations for there ride will be available again starting May 8th".

Funny how a slightly different way of saying the same thing could mean something completely different. I tend to read it that FPs will be used again staring May 8th and will likely be available for booking again sometime soon. Because if you read the first part of the wdwnt article it also says "guests will be unable to use the FastPass+ reservations to ride Toy Story Mania......This period will last through May 7th.....".

I posted this a while back in the Official TSL thread (had to look to find it) quoting the two articles and the slight difference in them. But either way hard for me to read closure after May 8th based on either of these.

I may be misunderstanding how this is working-- I was under the impression that TSM was starting FPs again mid May. We are at HS June 18 and nothing is available. Will someone explain please?

I may be misunderstanding how this is working-- I was under the impression that TSM was starting FPs again mid May. We are at HS June 18 and nothing is available. Will someone explain please?

FPs are only in the system 6/30+. That presumably means there will be no FPs made available between now and then (but of course that could change).

Last edited:

Check out the first post in this thread.

But there is still uncertainty about when FP availability will return - it's conceivable that FP for TSMM could return before TSL opens (though doubtful).

I agree it is uncertainty but I think it is more likely (not doubtful) that they return sometime prior to June 30th based on the announcements by wdwmagic and wdwnet. However it seems that some of the mods (not rteetz) think no FPs until TSL opens or even that TSMM might be closed 5/8-6/30. Makes me wonder if they have more info that can't be shared yet??

I agree it is uncertainty but I think it is more likely (not doubtful) that they return sometime prior to June 30th based on the announcements by wdwmagic and wdwnet. However it seems that some of the mods (not rteetz) think no FPs until TSL opens or even that TSMM might be closed 5/8-6/30. Makes me wonder if they have more info that can't be shared yet??
I can assure you the mods here don’t have more info that can’t be shared.

Disney is just being weird and not telling us what’s going on after May 7th. Disney might not even know the exact schedule yet which is why they haven’t added FPs.

Disney is just being weird and not telling us what’s going on after May 7th. Disney might not even know the exact schedule yet which is why they haven’t added FPs.

Ok fair enough I certainly wasn't trying to insinuate they were hiding something or misleading. Don't need another one of those weird conversations:rolleyes:.

But just seemed odd that several of them (not you obviously) all have similar takes. I know it isn't official from Disney but if one of the two announcements we have says "The work is expected to be completed by May 7 2018, which will then see the FastPass line return to operation", hard for me to read that as no FPs until June 30th or especially that it could be closed completely.

Ok fair enough I certainly wasn't trying to insinuate they were hiding something or misleading. Don't need another one of those weird conversations:rolleyes:.

But just seemed odd that several of them (not you obviously) all have similar takes. I know it isn't official from Disney but if one of the two announcements we have says "The work is expected to be completed by May 7 2018, which will then see the FastPass line return to operation", hard for me to read that as no FPs until June 30th or especially that it could be closed completely.
Personally I don’t think it will close completely. That said since there was a delay in the original story we could see a delay in when FPs are back up as well which is why we might not have heard anything.

I guess the way I worded the first post implies I know something, but I can assure you I don’t. Really just going by the current facts associated with May/June FP availability (meaning, the lack thereof) more than anything else.

I assume Disney doesn't know exactly when they will be done with the TSMM switch. I am guessing they earmarked it for a one month transition, which now started late. Really hoping that at some point they re-open the 2 closed tracks, and start to offer same day fast passes later in May. I really hope the put up a temp wall, and let us use the new entrance late May thru end of June. It would be a shame if they end up having to close the ride for any significant period of time. (Mostly a shame bc I'll be there June 18-25 and really want to ride TSMM).

I assume Disney doesn't know exactly when they will be done with the TSMM switch. I am guessing they earmarked it for a one month transition, which now started late. Really hoping that at some point they re-open the 2 closed tracks, and start to offer same day fast passes later in May. I really hope the put up a temp wall, and let us use the new entrance late May thru end of June. It would be a shame if they end up having to close the ride for any significant period of time. (Mostly a shame bc I'll be there June 18-25 and really want to ride TSMM).

Yeah I don't see why a temp wall wouldn't work. With the amount of resources at Disney's disposal I would think that is an overnight project. When comparing it to the prospect of closing 1 of the 4 non-show attractions currently left in the park, it would seem reasonable they would do everything they can to keep it open. Granted Disney has not officially announced anything but seems if they were going to close it that would be something they would announce in advance.

Personally I don’t think it will close completely. That said since there was a delay in the original story we could see a delay in when FPs are back up as well which is why we might not have heard anything.

Here's the original plan per WDWEnt in January:

"With Toy Story Midway Mania moving to Toy Story Land in Summer 2018 via a newly rerouted queue and exit, the attraction will need to experience some downtime ahead of the opening of the new land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Starting today, the third track of Toy Story Midway Mania (which was added in the Summer of 2016) will be closed for a period to accommodate the needed construction. The original two tracks of the ride will undergo a closure as well in a few weeks time, which will be followed by a full closure of the attraction to accommodate the final changes that need to be made before Toy Story Land opens. Dates for these closures have yet to be announced at this time."

I guess the way I worded the first post implies I know something, but I can assure you I don’t.
And I totally agree with the above statements. :-)

The only date, other than June 30th, that was posted was June 25th because a CL FP guest was able to book TSM FPs for that day.

She had the FPs linked to her for over a day without receiving an error message from Disney IT. She decided to switch FPs to June 30th when the TSL FPs went live for CL guests.

I agree with @rteetz in that I don’t think they’ll completely close TSMM - Studios will probably switch to the new entrance and loading area a few days before TSL opens for media days.

Here's the original plan per WDWEnt in January:

"With Toy Story Midway Mania moving to Toy Story Land in Summer 2018 via a newly rerouted queue and exit, the attraction will need to experience some downtime ahead of the opening of the new land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Starting today, the third track of Toy Story Midway Mania (which was added in the Summer of 2016) will be closed for a period to accommodate the needed construction. The original two tracks of the ride will undergo a closure as well in a few weeks time, which will be followed by a full closure of the attraction to accommodate the final changes that need to be made before Toy Story Land opens. Dates for these closures have yet to be announced at this time."

Yeah I could see the reasons why that COULD be needed, but I also think that would have been included in the late March article if it was still the plan. But even if it does need to close for final changes I can't imagine it would be for 7 weeks (5/8-6/30), especially with no announcement ahead of time.

Just very strange Disney is silent through all of this. My only thought is in agreement with rteetz that the timeline is somewhat unknown.

Need some help and some thoughts..tomorrow is my fp day and I was really hoping we would have more information (always having hope) in regards to TSMM and possible soft openings. We will be there June 18-25 and leave that night. Our last day, we were planning for Epcot, but there's a part of me that has hope we can at least ride TSMM if not a possible soft open that day. (sadly no ap or dvc). Should we book epcot and just see how things go or book hs? What would you all do?

I am personally hoping for temporary walls being added and do think with summer crowds, they would have to open tsmm at some point end of may or even June...

I agree with @rteetz in that I don’t think they’ll completely close TSMM - Studios will probably switch to the new entrance and loading area a few days before TSL opens for media days.

The concern is that the early reports predicted 3 activities:

1. Track 3 closes
2. Tracks 1 & 2 close
3. Full closure

The first two items have occurred or are occurring now. There’s no indication that item 3 won’t happen some between now and opening day.

Need some help and some thoughts..tomorrow is my fp day and I was really hoping we would have more information (always having hope) in regards to TSMM and possible soft openings. We will be there June 18-25 and leave that night. Our last day, we were planning for Epcot, but there's a part of me that has hope we can at least ride TSMM if not a possible soft open that day. (sadly no ap or dvc). Should we book epcot and just see how things go or book hs? What would you all do?

I am personally hoping for temporary walls being added and do think with summer crowds, they would have to open tsmm at some point end of may or even June...

Tomorrow is my FP day - also there 6/18-25! We are planning to RD Hollywood Studios 3 different days, one being the 25th. It's our favorite park, and we are hoping at this point to RD TSMM (assuming it's open), and if by chance FPs open up, we will try to swap RnR for it.

The concern is that the early reports predicted 3 activities:

1. Track 3 closes
2. Tracks 1 & 2 close
3. Full closure

The first two items have occurred or are occurring now. There’s no indication that item 3 won’t happen some between now and opening day.
I always let @rteetz do all the Blog-forum research and I share what I’ve heard behind the scenes-wise...and basically, I agree with the ‘Mods don’t know anything’ statements. ;)

But it is not listed on any thing as a closure. Just those of us on the DIS watching these memos know it was a possibility, the general public does not, and that is a long time to be closed when we know that they have track 3 open again and could keep it open up to the end. Why would they not also reopen track 1 and 2 when done in a month or so?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter