4yr old with Leukemia any tips

txkatherine

Earning My Ears
Hello, we are travelling to WDW 2/6-10 and meeting family who will have their 4 yr old daughter who is battling leukemia.

Since I am technically planning the trip, and I'd like it to be the best possible, can anyone give me any tips as to how to have her treated special as she is truly special as she has been in and out of hospitals for 2 years now.

Would a GAC be appropriate? Any hospitality areas for taking medication? ANyone to contact directly at Disney for extras?

Thanks for your thoughts...
Katherine

Hi and welcome to both DisBoards and disABILTIES!

I would suggest first reading the "disABILTIES! FAQ", especially item 6 which explains a lot about the GAC and item 3 which includes a lot of links. If you click on "disABILTIES! at the top of this page it will take you to the index, and the FAQ is currently the second item down.

Each park has a First Aid station staffed by RNs. These include private areas which can be used for medication, etc. These stations will also store medicines for you on a daily basis.

It is probably too late (but maybe not, since it is still a slow time) to make sure that you are staying at a good location. For example, if you will expect to mainly be at the Magic Kingdom you might find it best to be staying at one of the monorail hotels. In other words, you (or they) should be staying at a location where it is easy to get to and from the parks.

Another thing that is important is to take a mid-day break. It might involve going to one park in the morning and out of the park around lunch for naps and/or a pool break, and then back to the same (or another) park later in the day.

You also might want to (quickly) invest in a new book that gives wonderful detailed information for Guests with disabilities.

If you just read through some of the other threads you should be able to get additional ideas.

I am a mom of a cancer kid. The first time that we went to WDW my son was 3 and just got done chemo. I would suggest that you go and get a GAC and ask for them to stamp it saying that the childs stroller is his/her wheelchair. Explain that they can't stand for very long without getting tired. This will allow you to take the stroller all the way up to the ride!! A CM will take care of moving it to the end of the ride if need be. And depending on the ride and CM you may be able to use the handicap entrance. Some lines are wheelchair accessible, but some aren't. The CM will ask to see your GAC and show you were to go.
I also agree with taking an afternoon break.If the child is still going through chemo they'll tire more easily than the others. I would talk to the mother before you plan swimming or other water activities. If the child has a central line they can't go in a public pool.
Hope some of this helps. Maybe the child can get a wish granted and go to WDW. Then they would get a lot of special attention! Any other questions-please ask! :sunny:

are you familiar with the different restaurant options to meet princesses etc? I would be happy to give you any info about any of that stuff. What 4 year old girl would not love some one on one with cinderella?! Tell us more - where are you staying - what do you want not to miss etc. There is also a Tea party (expensive) for girls and their moms which would treat her like the little princess she is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter