7 month availability getting more difficult

Wow! The DVC gods were smiling on me this morning. I've been looking at availability for a studio for the Friday of Wine & Dine weekend forever and have watched it shrink and shrink to nothing. We couldn't book at our 11 month window because we had no points, and our resale didn't close until our home resort was already booked. I've been crossing my fingers, and shockingly a standard studio at the Poly became available a few minutes after I logged in this morning! Our resale contract had just enough expiring points that we could book it. And since the Poly is so close to the MK parking lot, we might even get a few more minutes of sleep before the 10k!!! Whoo-hoo!!

Laurie

Wow hats lucky. I saw a brief pop up of a SSR studio (which I already have booked) and hen nothing else. I’ve been checking the 7 month window for the last few days and finally got to my actual window so now I can waitlist the days I actually want. Fingers crossed it comes through but I do have the backup booking if it doesn’t - I just think my mother would enjoy the Savannah view and peace and quiet at AKL on the non-park days.

I have been looking for months for a studio on the monorail for F&W in October (7 months) and never saw a studio open up. Wait listed for a GF studio lake view for 2 nights in October last week. Didn't expect to get it but it came through yesterday. We are a family of 6 and usually get a 2 bedroom, but we are now empty nesters and dont need the larger room.

We are currently looking at adding on at SSR for a few reasons:
1) I have now turned 5 different sets of friends to rentals on the boards in the last 18 months because they didn't want to spend the $$$ on BLT or VGF (even with a "friend discount") or we didn't have enough points to rent to them with what we plan on using for ourselves
2) At 7 months, all of our points are worth the same, and I would rather go to a different resort with cheaper SSR points than my BLT or VGF points
3) This diversifies our ownership (I can't help it, I hold a finance degree)
4) If we ever want to stay in a cabin, 3-bedroom villa, bungalow, etc., we should do it on cheaper points than our BLT or VGF because they are usually available at 7 months. Those MK resort points just cost too much to "blow them" all on those higher end accommodations
5) I would love to add on 100 points to our BLT membership, but the PPP is just to high for us right now and doesn't seem to be coming down to what we would pay anytime soon
6) I would love to add on at Riviera once it is done, but we will most definitely be priced out at ~$200pp because we stay in 2-bedroom villas, and the size of the villa is not something my family wants to compromise on just to own somewhere
7) We may stay at SSR sometimes and rent out VGF or BLT for a decent profit because we bought them at a somewhat reasonable PPP

There are other reasons, but this is the short list.

I'm feeling the same way on many of these points minus the finance degree part. I have multiple friends who have asked me about DVC points and renting them (specifically if I can rent to them) and I barely have enough for myself. I'd love to double the amount I have so I can either: book 1 bedrooms in the future or rent to and bring along friends and family. I definitely feel like I should've bought a ton of Saratoga points last year but too late now. I think once my son hits high school it'll be harder to convince him to go every year so at least I can avoid putting out the cash for a while.

Since overall, more people are opting for smaller contracts, that means more people competing for the same time frames. For instance 4 people with 250 point contracts vs 10 people with 100 point contracts. If every wants a few days during Christmas or Spring Break, you can see how the competition for rooms increases. DVC began with 230 point minimum purchase. Off season travel may still be bookable at 7 months, major travel time...forget it.

And then renting also comes into play, as many renters will also want prime time reservations.

Overall, though, I think the sheer number of smaller contracts has had the biggest impact on availability. And this is what we seem to notice as some prime time travel slots fill up right at the 11 month booking window.

Last edited:

I wonder if those buying small contracts understand the competition they can run into when looking for a standard studio.

I wonder if those buying small contracts understand the competition they can run into when looking for a standard studio.
Probably not until the first time they try to make a reservation. :)

I remember reading, years ago, probably from one of you veterans, buy where you want to stay, and I did so. I love OKW, always have, and though many diss it, they stay there because the stay is cheaper in points. I don’t have an affinity for being close to the parks or for “Disney Theming”, OKW has the perfect theming for me and mine. I’ve stayed at BLT, AKV, SSR etc. many times because there was no availability at OKW. I tipically book at the 9 month mark, a few times when bringing guests I’ve changed resorts for them to experience something different and at the 7 month mark, never had trouble with availability, but that’s for 1 and 2 bedrooms. I wonder what would happen to DVC users if/when they decided to enforce usage at home resorts only? Membership changes do happen, is this a possibility ?

Last edited:

I wonder what would happen to DVC users if/when they decided to inforce usage at home resorts only? Membership changes do happen, is this a possibility ?

There's no home resort usage only unless the resort were to be removed from the club. If in the club then trading is provided for. It could be dropped from a four month priority to a single month home priority as that is the minimum required but as it stands no one will be limited to their own resort except on the basis of availability.

I do think a lot of buyers direct are told by guides how "easy" it is to switch at 7 months, and don't get complete pictures, especially where studios are concerned. You see a LOT of angst about that in places like the infamous DVC Neighborhood on Facebook, where people get really upset that they couldn't get BWV Standard at 7 months for Jersey Week, and how this is an outrage and how we need to burn all the resale buyers like witches and etc.

I do think a lot of buyers direct are told by guides how "easy" it is to switch at 7 months, and don't get complete pictures, especially where studios are concerned. You see a LOT of angst about that in places like the infamous DVC Neighborhood on Facebook, where people get really upset that they couldn't get BWV Standard at 7 months for Jersey Week, and how this is an outrage and how we need to burn all the resale buyers like witches and etc.

Resale buyers also don't always have a complete picture. If you think about it - even the best informed of us don't have a complete picture - in part because we don't know what Disney will do next or how members will respond to it. Will Riveria pull BCV/BWV people (I doubt it, I think it will be a distant third - at best - as a F&W choice)? Will Disney add a large DVC resort in the future? Will it add more offsite resorts? Will they add an event that will create a draw to a different time of year? Will F&W still be running ten or fifteen years from now?

Just two or three years ago we said "yeah, if you are flexible with where you want to stay, and don't travel the last three months of the year, its pretty easy to get even the most popular resorts - just don't count on the standard views or values at BWV/BLT/VAKL, book right at seven months, and stay flexible with your choice." Now we are saying "yeah, well - studios could be tough year round at the Poly/GF/BWV/BCV".......To some extent that isn't an owner thing - its a people who own different resorts learning over time they've got to get that reservation ASAP or it will disappear, making the window of opportunity much smaller.

I have two questions... we just bought AKL and are closing soon (yay!)... we are eager to start booking our first trip. Since we close in April, I anticipate we won’t be able to book until mid-may after we wait for our points to upload. We are hoping to go in January.

My first question is, how does the 11 month and 7 month booking period work? If we want to go in January, we would book in June for the 7 month mark, correct?

Second question, how difficult is it nowadays to book at the 7-8 month mark at AKL? We are not too hopeful on getting in there, so we are completely open to SSR or OKW. How difficult is it to get into those in January?

Thanks in advance!!
I don’t think you’ll have trouble booking AKL-we own there as well and you will love it!

Beyond just pedaling the easy 7-month booking fallacy, DVD continues to oversell small contracts on the notion that 11-month home advantage will suffice to get you that studio for your annual trip despite Bungalows, Cabins, Grand Villas often being a disproportionate representative of the ecosystem.

They did it 4 years ago with VGF and they continue the practice with CCV. 42 dedicated studios and 30 GrandVillas/Cabins; the latter representing a disproportionate number of fractional units sold to buyers planning to only stay in studios.

Years ago people said buy where you want to stay. I’m thinking why it’s so easy to get what you want at the 7th month mark. Now I know why they said it. It’s hard now to get what you want at the 7th month window.

Beyond just pedaling the easy 7-month booking fallacy, DVD continues to oversell small contracts on the notion that 11-month home advantage will suffice to get you that studio for your annual trip despite Bungalows, Cabins, Grand Villas often being a disproportionate representative of the ecosystem.

They did it 4 years ago with VGF and they continue the practice with CCV. 42 dedicated studios and 30 GrandVillas/Cabins; the latter representing a disproportionate number of fractional units sold to buyers planning to only stay in studios.
I'm not sure I'd say they are overselling small contracts, as such. It is simply the way the system works. Smaller contracts = higher number of owners= more competition for popular travel times.
When 230 points was the minimum, bookings weren't always guaranteed, either, but they were easier...except during the Christmas holidays. For a few years, there was a lottery for Christmas/New Years. The 11 month window meant nothing during the lottery period, people who owned at OKW and VB (and maybe Boardwalk...though the lottery may have been discontinued by then) were on equal footing, and if you were chosen but declined to book it for two years in a row, you had to skip another year to re-enter the lottery.

I'm not sure I'd say they are overselling small contracts, as such. It is simply the way the system works. Smaller contracts = higher number of owners= more competition for popular travel times.
When 230 points was the minimum, bookings weren't always guaranteed, either, but they were easier...except during the Christmas holidays. For a few years, there was a lottery for Christmas/New Years. The 11 month window meant nothing during the lottery period, people who owned at OKW and VB (and maybe Boardwalk...though the lottery may have been discontinued by then) were on equal footing, and if you were chosen but declined to book it for two years in a row, you had to skip another year to re-enter the lottery.
BWV was included in the special seasons lottery. The last year for that lottery was 1999. It was discontinued when DVC saw that it wasn't required anymore as the there was still space remaining after they went through the list. I imagine it was quite a task to administer.

Well, 7 months out from our November trip today and as expected, zero availability for anything other than SSR. Glad we've got our AKV value studio for our 3-day trip, figured I'd WL Poly & BLT just for the fun of it. Miracle if either come through, and we'd certainly enjoy them, but not holding our breath!

BWV was included in the special seasons lottery. The last year for that lottery was 1999. It was discontinued when DVC saw that it wasn't required anymore as the there was still space remaining after they went through the list. I imagine it was quite a task to administer.
Thanks, Carol! I wasn’t sure how long the lottery was used, as we didn’t travel during those dates.

If you stay in a studio, do not buy with the intention of stopping anywhere but home resort 7 months out. You may get SSR, OKW and AKV... if you are really lucky you may get somewhere else. But it cannot be taken as read, especially mid September to January. As the price continues to rise, families are priced out of anything but studios, and thus studio demand disproportionately increases. This I can see only getting worse as the costs continue to spiral. We also have newer resorts with ever higher point requirements- thus more demand on the cheaper desirable resorts. As I stated earlier, when Rivera is marketed as a VGF level resort with similar prices, it will add to the studio demand every where.
If you want to buy a cheaper resort and sleep around, 1 beds are and in my view will remain for the foreseeable future, quite open at 7 months, save for peak periods and even then you can get lucky.
DVC has now divided into 2 distinct availability at 7 months tiers, and thus the experience of the customer will be drastically different between those who get 1 beds, like me, who will be delighted with availability and on the opposite side, the studio taking masses.
For me DVC only was attractive because of the ability to stay in all the different resorts, otherwise I would not have been interested, so 1 bed was my only intention from the start.

If you stay in a studio, do not buy with the intention of stopping anywhere but home resort 7 months out. You may get SSR, OKW and AKV... if you are really lucky you may get somewhere else. But it cannot be taken as read, especially mid September to January. As the price continues to rise, families are priced out of anything but studios, and thus studio demand disproportionately increases. This I can see only getting worse as the costs continue to spiral. We also have newer resorts with ever higher point requirements- thus more demand on the cheaper desirable resorts. As I stated earlier, when Rivera is marketed as a VGF level resort with similar prices, it will add to the studio demand every where.
If you want to buy a cheaper resort and sleep around, 1 beds are and in my view will remain for the foreseeable future, quite open at 7 months, save for peak periods and even then you can get lucky.
DVC has now divided into 2 distinct availability at 7 months tiers, and thus the experience of the customer will be drastically different between those who get 1 beds, like me, who will be delighted with availability and on the opposite side, the studio taking masses.
For me DVC only was attractive because of the ability to stay in all the different resorts, otherwise I would not have been interested, so 1 bed was my only intention from the start.

Yup, saving our points for a one-bed stay somewhere in Feb! Don't want to splurge quite that much on this little one-off trip.

Not that there’s any incentive for them to do it, but if they slightly reduced the amount of points needed for a one-bedroom while giving the studios a corresponding increase it would probably level-off demand for both. For the most part they both sleep the same number of people so it really just comes down to price-point for most people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter