8 days in the East - Trip Report

Part 11

Walking along the promenade between the Disneyland Hotel and Disneyland. This was very pretty with topiary and fountains and was totally empty!

100A  eve stroll boulevard to DLH IMG_7918.jpg

I love Mishu as I am calling this dragon!

100B DSC09594.jpg

100D IMG_7924.jpg

Details

100F DSC09596.jpg

100E IMG_7925.jpg

100G DSC09601.jpg

100H DSC09599.jpg

100I DSC09600.jpg

We had hoped to have noodles for dinner at Clopins tonight but it was closed, so was everywhere it seemed. The Royal Banqueting House was open but was too heavily seafood orientated for us so we ended up back at Starliner for burgers-boring.

95 Clopins closed at night DSC09660.jpg

A very expensive with exchange rates and small serve burger!

97 Costly burger meal from Starliner Diner DSC09661.jpg

Part 12

Before we ate though we rode It’s A Small World – loved the inclusion of Disney characters though I know a lot of people aren’t keen on this. It was fun trying to spot them.

92 Its A Small World DSC09604.jpg

92B DSC09606.jpg

An internet version of the blurry picture of Marie we took

92C Marie.jpg

Cinderella and her prince

92D Cinderella and her prince DSC09609.jpg

Scotland

92E Scotland DSC09611.jpg

Pinocchio

92F Pinocchio DSC09613.jpg

Holland

92G Holland DSC09615.jpg

Middle East

92H DSC09616.jpg

Aladdin and Jasmine

92J Aladdin and Jasmine DSC09618.jpg

92I DSC09617.jpg

Part 13

Africa

92K DSC09620.jpg

Simba and Pumba and friends

92L Simba and Pumbaa and friends DSC09621.jpg

South America

92M Sth America DSC09628.jpg

Pocahontas

92N Pocohontas DSC09630.jpg

Woody and Jessie

92O Woody and Jessie DSC09632.jpg

Mowgli

92PP Mowgli IMG_7926.jpg

92P DSC09633.jpg

92Q DSC09636.jpg

92R DSC09638.jpg

Mulan

92S Mulan DSC09640.jpg

Last edited:
Part 14

92U DSC09641.jpg

92W DSC09643.jpg

Ariel and some characters from Nemo as well

92XX IMG_7932.jpg

Lilo and Stitch

92Y Lilo and Stitch DSC09645.jpg

Australia

93B Aus IMG_7934.jpg

New Zealand

93A NZ DSC09646.jpg

Hawaii

93C DSC09651.jpg

and other Pacific islands

93D DSC09652.jpg

93E DSC09656.jpg

93F DSC09657.jpg

Last edited:

Part 15

93G DSC09658.jpg

93H IMG_7939.jpg

Mad Hatter teacups at night (too spinny for us)

96 Mad Hatter Tea Cups at night DSC09602.jpg

The Carousel (more my style!)

96B Carousel IMG_7791.jpg

After eating and before the fireworks we hit the shops

98A shopping DSC09668.jpg

98C DSC09665.jpg

98D DSC09666.jpg

98B DSC09670.jpg

Western and Chinese wedding options

98E Western & Chinese wedding M&MDSC09664.jpg

Tsum Tsums

98F Tsum Tsums DSC09672.jpg

Last edited:
Part 16

One for those with little girls

98G DSC09673.jpg

Time for the fireworks. Waiting with everyone else.

58G waiting for fireworks night 2 IMG_7941.jpg

Fireworks amalgam from both nights. The full moon was shining brightly.

59AA DSC09679.jpg

59AB DSC09684.jpg

59B Fireworks combo both nights DSC07070.jpg

59BC DSC09683.jpg

59BE DSC09687.jpg

59BF DSC09695.jpg

59BH IMG_7953.jpg

59BO DSC09703.jpg

Last edited:

Part 18

You’ll be pleased to know I came home with a mini Shellie Mai to keep my Duffy from Tokyo Disney company, and DD bought Albert (though I was tempted by him too). Also bought some HK pins and a few other bits and bobs. I’d post a pic but like so many of our photos it isn’t on the computer where it should so is temporarily mislaid – sitting still on a camera somewhere no doubt. (I’ll have a winge now- DH hides connector leads and cameras away instead of regularly transferring pics to the computer then tells me “we’ve already copied that surely” when I finally get my hands on them and have to do a 6 month audit of shots finding all manner of things. I sometimes wonder why we bother taking photos in the first place.)

End of the night emptying street

98H end of night empty DSC09361.jpg

98J IMG_7793.jpg

This one must have been after our promenade walk - oops.

99 Fountain display at night DSC09255.jpg

Fountain at night. A group of teens let me photograph their Baymax.

99B DSC09365.jpg

99C DSC09370.jpg

99D DSC09713.jpg

99E DSC09712.jpg

99F DSC09714.jpg

Highlights of today: Flights of Fantasy Parade; caramel popcorn; Tarzan's Treehouse; IASW; sunset by the sea; fireworks.
Downsides: DH not feeling the best with a cold coming on; Bye bye Disney for a couple of years at least - Shanghai hopefully will be next. Steps walked: 20,020, approx 13.6 km.

Last edited:
Catching up!

Great pics, Wendy. Love them all. Looks like you covered a lot of ground and attractions in your time at HKDL.
Love that last pic of you and DD.
Shame that DH got sick. I guess it just shows how overworked he was/is when he goes on vacay.

This is an awesome shot of you and DD :goodvibes

I think I will have to copy DD and get an Albert too! Or maybe a Shellie May... Decisions, decisions.

I always wondered why that path between HKDL Hotel and the park was so quiet. I assume everyone just catches the bus, but I really preferred the walk when we stayed at HKDL Hotel. It's not like it's a long way or anything (not much further than the bus stop really :rotfl:).

Day 8 “There’s a great big hunk of world down there with no fence around it”

Well sometimes there is a literal fence-lol!

Tuesday started slowly which was lovely. We caught the bus over to the Disneyland Hotel for our breakfast a Walts. DH wasn’t feeling too bad which was good (he saved it up for when he came home, no doubt after the flight it hit him a lot worse).

Hotel foyer

15A foyer DL Hotel DSC09740.jpg

16 Breakfast at Walts DSC09744.jpg

We arrived around 8.20 for our reservation and were seated near the windows overlooking the maze. Breakfast was absolutely delicious. Walts had serve yourself juices, yoghurts, fruits, pastries, breads etc and a choice of one main meal. I got the Eggs Benedict for mine., DD the omelette and DH scrambled eggs and sausages. These dishes came with a side dressing of hash browns, asparagus and warm cherry tomato (except to DD’s chagrin they left them off hers!) The fruit from the buffet was particularly good, lots of fresh raspberries, strawberries ad blueberries as well as melons and pineapple. The coffee wasn’t that good but the pastries were. Service was also very slow but we enjoyed the relaxed meal.

DH wasn't allowed to serve himself tomato sauce - this is why

16I DSC09727.jpg

DH sausage & eggs

16F G sausage & eggs DSC09725.jpg

DD's mushroom omelette

16G J omelette they forgot my asparagus DSC09726.jpg

My Eggs Benedict

16H W eggs benedict DSC09728.jpg

Showing our views

16C DSC09724.jpg

Buffet area behind us

16B DSC09733.jpg

Great fruit

16J DSC09729.jpg

Part 2

When we were finally done we played in the maze for a bit. Girls in the maze.

17B DSC07195.jpg

Waving to DH from the middle

17D in the middle DSC07200.jpg

Taking a photo of the photographer

18 IMG_7973.jpg

Lost in the maze

17G in maze DSC09746.jpg

18 DSC07203.jpg

Pretty gardens

18B DSC09585.jpg

Then we started strolling along the Esplanade in the direction of the Hollywood Hotel (partly just to see how far it would be normally). It was actually further than we anticipated. You got good views of all the construction work on the new hotel though. DH decided that surely we could get back into the Hollywood Hotel grounds, perhaps beyond the hotel, from the Esplanade so we continued walking. I was stepping up onto the parapet edge to take a pic when DD starts screaming “snake” Mum snake!!!” as apparently I step closer towards biting/stepping on range instead of away! I finally register the snake, the snake as snakes do took off in the opposite direction and DD was most cranky she was so busy alerting me she didn’t get a decent pic!

On the Esplanade, Discovery Bay in the distance

20 On the harbour esplanade DSC07204.jpg

"Snake - Mum!!"

20BB its a snake and mum moves closer not away IMG_7980.jpg

We continued, much more alert for snakes now. Peng Chau island I believe

20C DSC09748.jpg

More views of Discovery Bay in the haze.

20H close up DSC09755.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm good thing you mentioned the snake. I would never have thought to look out for them in HK... I seem to sub-consciously think they're just an Aussie thing.

Lovely relaxed morning so far. DH spent many hours just sitting in the lobby at the HKDL Hotel, reading or enjoying the musicians.

Breakfast at Walt's looks great.
Love that maze.

I never even thought about snakes in HK. Wow!
Yes, that walk seems longer than you'd think. I actually think it's longer along the sea than on the road.

Part 3

These were lots of dragonflies buzzing about

20J dragonflies DSC09753.jpg

New hotel construction

20K new hotel bdg DSC09758.jpg

20L DSC09756.jpg

20M DSC09757.jpg

When we reached the Hollywood Hotel area we could see a second set of hoarding closed the area off with bull dozers in the inbetween zone – no getting through anywhere there then. Kept walking. We soon ran out of Esplanade at a barred gate but that was easy to climb around on the rocks making up the sea wall. Unfortunately this just landed us in another security/loading zone/storage area so we just strolled through, past the gatehouse and onto the street! No sidewalks of course so we walked along the edge dodging the odd van that came past, expecting to be accosted “tourists not allowed here”! Not too far and we turned in at the gates to Hollywood and home safe but note, there is NO access to the Esplanade from the Hollywood Hotel at the moment – lol! No pics of our unorthodox exit from the Esplanade sorry.

Over breakfast I had abandoned early plans of maybe doing a hike today as DH wasn’t really up to a long walk and I was content to have a lazy last day of the hol. So, after checking out and having our bags held, we headed to the Hollywood pool area for a couple of hours with our books and to listen to the jazz they play from the 1940’s and Elvis and co from the 1950’s. DD and I attempted a go on the waterslidebut apparently we were too big-it’s only for the under 100cms. I missed seeing the signs and couldn’t understand the CM in charge so got one slide in before realised my error-oops! The pool was practically empty.

6F DSC09766.jpg

After a couple of hours when we were sick of listening to the jazz and had dried off, we caught the bus over to the Disneyland Hotel. I had thought maybe the Sunset pool bar or something might have been open for a lunch poolside since the Hollywood Hotel equivalent looks to be permanently shut, but no such luck. DD and I decided we didn’t feel like another swim.

DLH pool

18C DLH pool Seabreeze bar closed DSC09788.jpg

We explored the hotel and its grounds a little more and found the last available seat in the foyer which was packed with departing families, to do some interneting. Then, because I figured the pool showers and change rooms would be nicer over here, DD and I investigated – we were right. We had ourselves an amazing shower, lots of hot water, complimentary shampoo, conditioner, body soap, even a hair dryer. It was great. When we got back DH who was saving our seats went to the men’s and took his turn.

Some more views of DLH foyer

15B DSC09739.jpg

15C DSC09741.jpg

Pretty foyer conveniences

15E foyer loos DSC09743.jpg

Painting, typical of many dotted about

15D DSC09742.jpg

Part 4

Exploring downstairs in the hotel. Gym and indoor pool

18H gym and indoor pool DSC09792.jpg

18HH indoor pool.jpg

Downstairs mural along one wall

18D mural downstairs DSC09789.jpg

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

18E Bibbidi B boo boutique DSC09790.jpg

18F DSC09791.jpg

18G DSC09795.jpg

Pool showers

18K DLH pool showers DSC09797.jpg

More paintings that demonstrate the different styles between Disneyland and art deco Hollywood hotels

18J DSC09794.jpg

18I DSC09793.jpg

Part 5

Realised earlier today after our swim we didn't catch the bus to the Disneyland Hotel, we caught it to Disneyland and walked the promenade from there to the hotel to show DH. It was still empty!

Topiary

14L DSC09774.jpg

DD with her fave character

14K DSC09776.jpg

Less seen duo

14J DSC09777.jpg

My fave persons

14H DSC09779.jpg

More topiary

14G DSC09780.jpg

14F DSC09781.jpg

14E DSC09782.jpg

14C DSC09784.jpg

14B DSC09785.jpg

Part 6

Caught the bus back to the Hollywood and grabbed a very late but simple lunch from Hollywood & Dine just before they closed, changed into travelling clothes and had the bellhop call us a cab for the airport. He quoted a set fee that was the standard I had read of HK$130. It was an uneventful ride though longer than I had thought it would be.

At the airport I am hazy now as managed to neglect finishing my trip diary, but I know we checked our bags in and had a couple of hours wait for our Hong Kong flight to Singapore. I think we had some dinner here before boarding. The plane we were on was a brand new B777 with touch screen controls and an option of showing the flight info continuously on the handset.

26 New B777 video controls IMG_7985.jpg

26B IMG_7986.jpg

Views of Hong Kong

27 looking down on HK IMG_7989.jpg

27C IMG_7991.jpg

Our flight got in to Singapore with only an hour or so to spare, enough time to use the loos, buy water etc. I know this artwork made out of tins of tuna amused me!

25 Singapore airport made out of tuna tins DSC09805.jpg

It was a pleasant overnight flight back home taken up watching more movies and TV shows. Either on the flight over or the flight back I saw Inside Out which DD had watched and highly recommended. I think on the Hong Kong to Singapore Leg I caught up on Minions Despicable Me which I had never seen and on the Brisbane leg the Second Best Marigold Hotel and Jurassic World –it’s all a bit hazy now. Collected our car from airport parking and home safely.

A piccie of our 'loot' (very restrained)

small.JPG

Highlights of today: Breakfast at Walts, being lazy swimming and exploring the hotels and environs. Downsides: Not being allowed to slide on the waterslides, no direct access to the esplanade from the Hollywood Hotel, overnight rather than daytime flights. Steps walked 8,801

Last edited:
No adults allowed on waterslides? Where's the fun in that?

DD and I share a favourite :goodvibes I'm just disappointed they don't seem to have Mulan out for meet and greets at HKDL anymore. Surely they will have her out as a regular in Shanghai!

Nice relaxing kind of day before your flight home.

I know - no adults on waterslides??? I have stayed in several hotels where you can. Not sure what the regulations re slides in the US Disney pools are, but one I have a hankering for, I think its the Beach House because of their pool slide! Yes no Mulan :sad1: At least we got some great pics with Mulan and Mishu in 2008. But hope Shanghai, surely they will have them appearing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter