89 points in holding. What are my options?

Zach197

Mouseketeer
Brutal. I know. But what are my options? Can I transfer them to interval international? I called member services and they won’t put them back. The good thing is I have until October 1 to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you have any other trips booked before than? You can modify that at 60 days and it should pick them up for you and free to others to bank.

If not, you could try to book and rent something out. I don’t know about II.

Do you have any other trips booked before than? You can modify that at 60 days and it should pick them up for you and free to others to bank.

If not, you could try to book and rent something out. I don’t know about II.
We do. Two studios at grand Floridian in June. Each 8 nights. So I can modify those reservations and use the in holding points?

We do. Two studios at grand Floridian in June. Each 8 nights. So I can modify those reservations and use the in holding points?
Once you hit the 60 day mark from check in you can modify and it will take the holding points.

Unless you used the 11-month privilege to book the VGF studios and the holding points are not VGF. Then you cannot use those I think

I chatted member services and they said the points can’t be reallocated to a reservation already booked. Points in holding can only be used for new reservations.

that’s incorrect unless it is a new change. I’ve done it before.

As far as I have always read and understood, this has always been the case. Surprised to see so much disagreement here. Points in holding can only be applied to new reservations. It has always been that way by rule. Did a CM make a special exception for someone along the way and bend a rule? Probably. Has it happened more than once? Probably. Is it something they should be doing for everyone? Not unless a rule change is made and it is clarified to the membership. Personally, I think it's a stupid rule, but I sort of understand it. And yes, I have had points in holding once. Booked an SSR reservation at 40 odd days out and used them. We were going anyway. We just ended up staying at SSR. No biggie to us.

The only real way to apply those points to a GFV reservation at 60 days out is to cancel the reservation and immediately try to re-book it. Not dice I'd be willing to roll with the online system as that reservation becomes available to everyone the moment you cancel it. I wouldn't do it especially depending on time of year, my commitment to staying at GFV For that vacation, and general availability at all resorts during that time. If I was going to try it, I would definitely have a contingency plan.

The best plan may be MS. Most in MS will tell you that they cannot cancel that reservation and guarantee they can get it back (hold it in the interim). I happen to know from another experience (not holding related) that isn't actually true. They most certainly can. They are not SUPPOSED to with points in holding. Kindness goes a long ways and it all depends on who you get on the phone.

Thinking back, you might do something similar to walking a reservation in reverse and drop a day off the end at a time and rebook it and get away with it. If you pulled it off, you could get MS to combine them all back into one reservation. Still a gamble, but not as big. Whether it's worth the risk goes back to everything I said in the prior post. We drive and are flexible generally in our dates. Plane reservations throws a whole other kink into the machine, of course.

I’ve done it on more than one occasion. I agree maybe it shouldn’t work that way, but online it will take points in holding before other points when just modifying an existing reservation and not changing anything.

I chatted member services and they said the points can’t be reallocated to a reservation already booked. Points in holding can only be used for new reservations.

I just did this two days ago. It works online without an issue.

Maybe it should not but so far, the few times I needed it, it wasn’t an issue.

What might be happening in the system is when you modify the existing reservation (the 2 VGF studios in this case), the system picks it up as a new reservation. Even if you don’t make any changes?

Modifying a reservation within the window (but obviously not so close that the “switched out” points end up in holding) online works fine to use up points in holding. Just do it via modify so you don’t lose the res.

As the definition says, “Any change is considered a cancel and rebook.”

OK. Good for y'all. But please explain to me what the penalty is aside from they cannot be banked. There is supposed to be a penalty associated with the points once that <30 day reservation is canceled. Maybe the online system is broken. Big surprise. Well good for us until it's fixed, if it ever is, I guess.

The question on the table was is it allowed and the answer is that it is not by rule.

Modifying a reservation within the window (but obviously not so close that the “switched out” points end up in holding) online works fine to use up points in holding. Just do it via modify so you don’t lose the res.

As the definition says, “Any change is considered a cancel and rebook.”
Hopefully this works and I will still have time to bank the other points by May 31st.

I just modified an AUL reservation (6 nights made at 11 month, check in less than 30 days), in the hopes of using up 19 AUL points in holding and it didn’t work.

As I am typing this I realized it needs to be at least 30 days out? Because the existing AUL reservation points would be in holding as it is less than 30 days. Doh!

Good thing I have another reservation in April that was booked at 7-months. Gotta remember the 30-60 days part.

I just modified an AUL reservation (6 nights made at 11 month, check in less than 30 days), in the hopes of using up 19 AUL points in holding and it didn’t work.

As I am typing this I realized it needs to be at least 30 days out? Because the existing AUL reservation points would be in holding as it is less than 30 days. Doh!

Good thing I have another reservation in April that was booked at 7-months. Gotta remember the 30-60 days part.
Correct, you need to be between 31 and 60 days out when making the modification for it to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter