A Bridge Too Far? CFW

Given the suppositions in post 1, would you purchase CFWL as one of your home resorts?

• Yes

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 166 92.2%

• Total voters
I wish you would reconsider. That is EXACTLY what I'm trying to learn.
Based on this encouragement (quoted) ... I cast my vote as: Yes.

To me and for me, buying the cabins would be no different than buying SSR pre-opening as we did in May 2004. We purchased SSR to use the points at BWV for our January conference purposes. Our purchase/plan worked while the conference remained at WDW and we have no regrets over that purchase. I assume that buying Cabins today would be a very similar set-up if I were buying today.

That said, I don't need "home resort advantage." The DVC system has worked quite well for me at the 7-month window for all these years.

I would be happy to stay there during certain times of the year, but we will not buy there. We would drive there and use our vehicle for transportation. Even rent a golf cart from a third party to be able to drive around the fort.

People staying at Fort Wilderness has been evacuated more than once due to major storms. I fear the long-term dues could rise rapidly at some point in the future.

Not worth the risk when I have plenty of other options to stay at the fort. SAP, drive my own RV and stay here, or rent an RV and stay here.

I do believe Disney will eventually follow the PVB model. In 5-8 years, build Reflections type (likely different design since that was almost exactly what they used for Poly tower) and make it part of the same association. At that time, there will be a much nicer pool and more sleeping options. That may change my mind. (Realize Disney has said multiple times PVB was a mistake because it basically had only one room type). For the Fort, hopefully Disney is smarter this time and announces they are building the addition to the Fort association early in the sales process. Let every CFW buyer know they will have the ability to stay in studios, duo studios, 2BR, and GVs when the addition is completed in 2-4 years.
This adds some drama to it all...well put.
The pet thing is a giant turn off...

We’re way too old to even think about adding to our DVC ownership, even to add points at BWV, so I won’t vote in your poll. If there were an option for saying we won’t buy there but we’d like to stay there, I’d click that. We stayed in the cabins in the early 1990s but wouldn’t stay there again because of the transportation issue. Now we’re older and like to hang at our resort more, the cabins would be a great fit, because we love that forested environment.

This polls needs a maybe choice.

And I honestly considered adding it. The issue is with what I'm trying to learn. I'm trying to learn how salable that property is going to be in its current format. I just don't see the lure personally, and I'm trying to gauge how far off base I am. 'Maybe' doesn't give any information of mathematical value to most polls.

And I honestly considered adding it. The issue is with what I'm trying to learn. I'm trying to learn how salable that property is going to be in its current format. I just don't see the lure personally, and I'm trying to gauge how far off base I am. 'Maybe' doesn't give any information of mathematical value to most polls.
I would have voted no twice if I could. :duck:

The no votes seem to be very stern😅

DVC sells what they want to sell. It will sell even if not to the audience here. That's the lesson seen over and over.

We are cabin-curious, but it's extremely unlikely we'll own there as described in the first post (if it's part of a multi-resort Trust, then maybe). I voted no.

The fact it's likely a single-category resort means that if there's any 7m availability across the entire resort it will be for the 'right' room. This means 7m availability should be decent (though seasonal). There's also strong anti-CFW sentiment here, which might indicate reduced competition at 7m. There's also a large number of cabins planned, which increases the odds of <7m openings via cancellations. All this adds up to a reduced need to own.

We will definitely do a stay here for 1-2 nights, possibly even in 2024 if the opening and availability align with a post-cruise stay (which are our only 1-2 night stays). We'll stay at CFW partially because of 'we've stayed in them all' reasons, but it also might be the right vibe for some stays.

We love the isolation and private/nearby parking of the CCV Cabins and stay there at the end of bigger vacations as a 'vacation from our vacation'. The CFW cabins will have some isolation and convenient parking as well (in fact, even better parking) but the accommodations and surroundings will be a massive step down, as will the resort amenities. But it's also just 18% the points of CCV Cabins, so it might still be worth staying at CFW for that style of stay when we want to allocate points elsewhere.

I'm trying to learn how salable that property is going to be in its current format.
In the current format, they can still tell potential buyers that they can use the points at any DVC resort. Once the trust gets up and going with additional properties (Poly tower? As-yet-undeclared RIV, AUL, or VDH? I don't know), they'll be able to tell potential buyers that they can book any and all of those resorts at 11 months! That's when I think it will be salable.

Like many others have said, FW & the cabins are not really to my taste. I think Disney is banking on bringing in a whole new crop of DVC owners by converting the cabins. There are many guests that truly love the cabins who may not have considered buying before, but will now.

Like many others have said, FW & the cabins are not really to my taste. I think Disney is banking on bringing in a whole new crop of DVC owners by converting the cabins. There are many guests that truly love the cabins who may not have considered buying before, but will now.

Great point.

Haaaave ya met Aulani? LOL

My worry is that, much like every developer, they will sacrifice the product for profit. There are already less desirable products mixed in the DVC catalogue that leads to a glut of sleep around points. Nobody is paying 225 a point for CFW. Adding in a few million more points that people will use as SAP to stay at the more desirable resorts will lead to a nightmare 7 month scenario, let alone if they do a multi resort trust.

We have no interest in the cabins. The lack of washer/dryer and shoving three beds in the one bedroom are deal breakers for us. We also do not like how spread out the resort is forcing us to either rent a golf cart or navigate the internal bus loop. It might be fun to stay there once or twice for a couple of nights to see the holiday decorations, though I imagine that will be tough to pull off at 7 months. So chances are we won't even stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter