A Dream for Christmas 2021

Bishoparc

DIS Veteran
I had been watching the recent DIS Unplugged episodes where Pete and others had been discussing their experiences on DCL since they resumed cruising and couldn't wait any longer. I had seen the December 24 3-night sailing on the Dream listed as a Florida resident discounted cruise and I knew this would be the most affordable Disney Cruise I could ever possibly take that was sailing on Christmas Day, so I surprised my DW and went for it.

We booked a Florida Resident VGT rate which is a guarantee of at least a category 07A Deluxe Oceanview with Navigators Verandah. I booked the cruise on December 12, and we got our room assignment on December 20. We were given a category 04E which is a Deluxe Family Oceanview w/Verandah on deck 6. I uploaded our vaccination cards to the Safe Passage website (which is required before you are cleared to sail) on December 14 and they were approved by December 16. I also complete online check-in on December 14. If you haven't sailed since COVID, one of the things you must do now is upload your security photo which they used to take at port. It needs to be a headshot from your shoulders up with nothing behind you. Those were uploaded on December 14, and we received approval on our check-in at 10:33AM on December 21. Those will show as "pending review" until 2-3 days before your sail date so don't be concerned if you're still weeks out. They are uploaded via the DCL website, and it does some basic analyzation of your photos when you upload them to tell you if they are ok or not.

Fast forward to the morning of our sailing date, Friday December 24. At 5:15 AM we received an email from DCL asking us to complete our health questionnaire. This is an online version of that paper form we used to all fill out when we checked in asking if we'd had fevers, etc. The survey is now more COVID focused and has 5 questions that one member of your party must answer. You can answer the questions when you arrive at the port, but it really slows everyone else down if you do so, please try to complete them before you arrive at port.

Pulling into the port for check-in is very similar to the process we've always done. As you can see in the picture above, they have tents in the front parking lot for the people that arrive via methods other than their own cars (such as busses, Uber, etc.) to receive their COVID tests. We arrived at the port at exactly 11:30A and by 11:35A we had dropped off our luggage out front. They have extended the luggage drop off area to pretty much the entire length of the road in front of the cruise terminal so the luggage drop off goes pretty quick. Of note, please remember to bring some cash with you for tipping the porters that help you unload your luggage. It's recommended to tip at least $2-3 per bag. I mention this because I overhead them saying that very few people had tipped at all, and it was Christmas Eve. A Disney CM did ask us what our boarding group time was so, as others have said, they don't want you there before that boarding time.

After unloading our bags, we were directed around to the parking garage entrance. We paid our parking fee and then got in the line of cars waiting to be tested for COVID. We got in the line of cars at 11:40AM. It starts as a single line of cars and then splits off into 2 lines for the 2 COVID testing lanes under the parking garage.

As you make your way into the garage, this is the first place you will need your boarding pass that you either printed off or have on your smart device. Up until this point we had not presented any sort of ID or boarding passes. A cast member will scan your boarding pass and, if you completed everything you needed to online ahead of time, will hand you sealed bags with your nasal swab, the test container, a label, and an ink pen. If the line is backed up, they'll direct you to go ahead and write your name and birthdate on the label and then wait until a spot is open. As you can see in the below picture, they have several spots to pull into. You will not do your actual nasal swab until they direct you to do so. Once you have pulled into a spot, a medical personnel member will once again scan your boarding pass. They will then work with each person in your party individually to complete your COVID test. (Basically, what they have you do is, attach the label to the test container vertically, you'll then swab each nostril in a circular motion 5 times, you insert the swab partially into the specimen tube and it breaks off so the swab falls into the specimen tube, you then seal the tube, place it in the bag, and give it to the tester.) The entire testing process is done with you seated inside your car. Once they have collected your samples, a Disney Cast Member will come and scan your boarding pass again to ensure you completed all of your online check-in and direct you to go park. We completed all of that process by noon.

All in all from dropping off luggage to completing our COVID test took 30 minutes. Once you've completed your test they will tell you, and this is true, that you will get your results quicker by checking online via the Safe Passage website instead of waiting for the email. When you login to the Safe Passage website, you're looking for the second checkmark to turn green "Embarkation Screening" with a result of "Clear to sail". We received our "clear to sail" at exactly 12:40PM so 40 minutes on the dot from when we completed the test and then the email came at 12:47PM (so email wasn't too much slower but still a few minutes behind the website.)

It may be just me, but I didn’t allow myself to get excited about the cruise until that moment when I saw “Clear to Sail”. I didn’t think I had COVID but with how crazy things are right now, I had no excitement until that moment. Then like a flood, all these emotions hit me. I was beyond excited and in tears. It was just overwhelming.

We were told after we got our "clear to sail" to head to level 3 and talk the walkway over and then down to check-in. Outside the terminal building they will again look at your boarding time to make sure you aren't there early and then direct you in the building. One thing that wasn't obvious was where Castaway Club Members check-in. I knew there was a special place for the various levels but I only saw Silver when I walked in. I walked on around the corner and found the check-in lanes for Gold, then Platinum, and lastly the concierge check-in. (So, if you're Gold or above, don't just walk in the first line, go on around a bit and you'll see the banners.

There was no one in the Platinum line so we walked right up. They once again scan your boarding pass and then ask you to hold each of your passports (or other citizenship documents) up to the plexiglass for them to scan with an iPad. They asked if we had any questions and then directed us on to security. We then went up the escalator and were greeted by another Disney CM who asked what our boarding group number was. We were group 13 and they were on group 11. It was about 12:55PM when we got fully into the terminal. The terminal was of course decorated for Christmas, and they have greatly increased the seating capacity. It felt very much like an airport terminal. There are still a few check-in desks in the building but, if you completed everything ahead of time, you have no need to go to them.

Rolling to the next post.

Last edited:
Our boarding group, 13, was called right around 1:05PM. We proceeded up to the line and showed our boarding group number to a CM. They let us in the line and right before you walk through the Mickey Ears they will ask if you want the start of cruise picture in front of the backdrop. We didn't plan on buying it so we skipped and went on through. A CM will once again scan your boarding pass and then you'll get in line to wait to actually board the ship.

They still use both lanes of the boarding ramp so you can go to the left or right side, whichever is shortest (or if you're like us we always use the left, so I always go left haha.) From the time we actually entered the line to getting our names called to board the ship (yes, they still do that), was 15 minutes. We stepped foot on the Dream (and my oh my did it take my breath away to see the atrium again finally, especially decorated for Christmas) at 1:15PM. So total time from pulling "on property" to setting foot on the dream, just at an hour and 45 minutes. Definitely longer than it took in the past but honestly it went by pretty quick other than the COVID test itself.

Once onboard they direct you to a circle with a bunch of Mickey Heads on it to "socially distance" you. Once they have enough parties onboard, Mickey and Minnie welcome you and then dance to a brief song. You're then promptly directed to head up to deck 4 to complete your muster station check-in. You absolutely 100% must have the DCL Navigator App on a cruise now. Everything is on the app and I do mean everything. "Checking in" to your muster station now consists of you going to your lettered station (which it will show you within the app), opening the app to the safety drill, then aiming your phone's camera at the letter hanging on the wall of your muster station. A crewmember is there to assist you if needed and they also check you off on their printed-out list. It's a quick and easy process, just make sure to have the app downloaded before you board and join the ships wifi as soon as you are onboard. It walks you through exactly what to do.

From there we headed up to Cabanas for lunch. The selection isn't as large as it used to be, but they still had most of our favorites. One thing of note is that you can't just walk up to the specific thing you want anymore and get it. There is an actual line that starts with them getting a plate for you and then they pass it down the line to another crewmember, asking you what you want from each section along the way. The drink stations in Cabanas were only open during service time and were staffed by a crewmember who would give you your drink, not self-serve. The drink stations by the pool are self-serve, except for tea and coffee. The food at Cabanas was a little bland but we still enjoyed it.

Your room should be ready by 2:00PM, and that was the case for us. We headed down to deck 6, stateroom 6638. Your key to the world cards are in an envelope sitting on your fish next to the door. Once you enter your room, your Castaway Club lanyards and gift (if applicable) will be laying on your bed. No other papers of any sort are in your room like they were before. I very much love the Deluxe Family Staterooms w/Verandah because of the round tub/shower that has the rainfall showerhead.

Did I mention you must have the DCL Navigator App? I'm sure they have provisions for those that don't have a smart phone or tablet but seriously people everything is in the app. Your dining rotation, in the app, the time you're supposed to arrive at dinner, in the app, to talk to guest services (either via chat or to make an appointment to see them in person, in the app) tipping for bar service in the main dining rooms or for spa services, in the app. Does the app still have issues? Why yes, yes it does. I tried to chat with guest services from my phone and my wife's phone and neither worked until once on the last day of the cruise. Every time we got to the last person in the queue it would crash and put us at the back of the line again.

There are only 2 negatives I'll mention from this cruise and here is the first one, there wasn't a whole lot going on. We struggled a bit to find scheduled activities that we were interested in. This being a 3 night, they didn't have a show the first night and showed Beauty and the Beast night 2 and 3. That's not to say we didn't find stuff to keep us busy, but normally there's 2, 3, or 4 things all going at once that we'd like to do but there were very few activities scheduled, due to COVID protocols, I'm sure. Once we dropped off our bags, we headed over to see if the Senses, the spa, had any openings for a couples massage as I didn't find any via online check-in prior to the sailing. They actually got us in immediately. We did the "Perfect Day" spa package (basically bought 2 of those and they did them together.) This included a 50-minute full body massage, facial, Indian scalp and foot massage. It was $169/each plus 18% gratuity. They put us in one of the couple's villas to do it and man was this the way to start off a cruise. I wish I had done the package that included the private hot tub time but wouldn't have made since as we were still in port. They ended it by putting our hands together and then, of course, selling us as much spa product as they could. We normally don't buy product but had a couple of things we did want. Word of warning, make sure you get the price for the product. The couple of things I got were $25/$35 and they talked my wife into some eye cream but didn't tell her the price and I just assumed it was about the same. Nope. I was checking the bill later and it was $105! So do yourself a favor, either don't buy product or make sure you ask the price.

The ship didn't actually end up leaving port until 5:40PM. They had said we'd leave around 4:15-4:30. I'm not sure what the delay was but guessing a delay with COVID testing for someone. It was weird not having the Sail Away party. It was always our favorite and really kicked the cruise off for us but was also neat to be in our room to watch us go out to sea. We called room service and ordered the good 'ole "All Hands on Deck" cheese platter and ate it while we headed out to sea.

Last edited:
Now on to dinner. We did second dining and the app told us we were to arrive at 8:15PM. We started off with Enchanted Garden. All the menus are roughly the same and yes, are in the app, no paper menus. We had a phenomenal service team. The head server, Art, was the most engaged head server we'd ever had in our 12 cruises. Our server was Fancis from India and our assistant server was Jaime from Portugal. Both of them were fantastic. Neither of us much like the menu in Enchanted Garden and our night 2 was going to be in Royal Palace, which has our favorite menu but was going to be a different menu because of Christmas, so Fancis graciously let us order from Royal Palace's menu while eating in Enchanted Garden.

I did order the Applewood-Smoked Bacon Wild Mushroom tart as my appetizer from Enchanted Garden and my wife had the Breaded and Deep-Fried Brie from Royal Palace. I'll go ahead and say it now, all of the food we had in the MDR's was so fresh, hot, and good. Pete had mentioned it on the podcast and it's so very true. The food was AMAZING.

For the main course, we both had the Chateaubriand-Roasted Filet Steak, cooked medium. Besides the filet in Palo, this is one of my favorite steaks. Cooked perfectly and was so tasty.

As you are eating dinner in Enchanted Garden, the "fab 5" characters (Mickie, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald) all come in and dance around the dining room to give you an opportunity to take pictures. They make a couple of laps around the room before leaving. They don't stop at the tables because of COVID but it was fun, nonetheless.

For those that weren't aware, they did remove the big booths that were previously in Enchanted Garden and, of course, all of the tables are much more spread out.

For desert, had to do the Grand Marnier Souffle from Royal Palace.

At dinner, you are seated alone, meaning not with other parties as you were in the past. I must say, this made for an incredibly fast and efficient dinner service. We got done in record time but didn't feel rushed at all. After dinner we walked around the ship some before heading back to our room. Santa was out on the grand staircase, Ms. Claus did story time, and a few of the characters were in their Christmas outfits but other than that and the decorations there wasn't a whole lot of "Christmas" related stuff going on. We definitely missed the "official" Santa visit, the "freezing" aka snowing of the lobby atrium by Anna and Elsa, and the carollers.

At 10:30PM on the first night they had their "Christmas Wish" fireworks show. It was brief but still good. Each party has to stand on a designated blue circle to watch the fireworks. They only did one fireworks show on this cruise. The ship was EMPTY so it wasn't hard to find a spot at all. The sky was perfectly clear so it made for a great view.

After that we headed to our stateroom and ordered another "All Hands On Deck" cheese platter and enjoyed the view outside on our verandah. We did receive a special lithograph for it being the Christmas day cruise. I assume this will be the same one given to passengers onboard the New Years Eve cruise this weekend.

Day 2 Christmas Day
We got up and headed to Cabanas for breakfast. Same process as lunch the day before with getting in line and telling them what you want. Once again, not the full selection they had before but we found enough we wanted. Since the weather was so beautiful, we went outside to enjoy our breakfast. Yes, they still have Mickey Waffles.

After breakfast we headed out to the main pool deck area. Now here's what totally made the cruise for me, (don't judge me), they showed the Disney Parks Christmas Day Parade on funnel vision. This was extremely special to me for 2 reasons. The first is that we actually ended up being at the Magic Kingdom when they filmed most of the show and secondly because this was always my mom and I's tradition every Christmas. She passed away in March of 2020 right when COVID was ramping up but we had gotten to take her on a Disney Cruise in 2018, which she absolutely loved. It was hard not to cry because I knew how incredibly excited she would've been to know that we had seen it being filmed but then to get to watch it onboard the ship would've just been icing on the cake. I can't thank DCL enough for this special moment and it truly made the cruise for us. I ordered some hot chocolate and we sat there on the front row of loungers on an absolutely gorgeous day with perfect weather enjoying the Disney Christmas parade.
(Kristin Chenoweth is one of the artists we got to see recording live at MK)

After the parade we just hung out on the pool deck, riding the Aqua Duck, enjoying the adult pool area, etc. There weren't really any activities going on for Christmas Day so we just mostly relaxed. We did go to see Beauty and the Beast. They are seating every other row and you have to sit 3 seats apart from any other party. The theater was super empty, even beyond just the social distancing measures. There couldn't have been more than 1,000-1,200 people on this cruise if that.

Rolling to the next post for Christmas dinner.

We were in Royal Palace for Christmas dinner. They had a special menu just for Christmas. I did take pictures of the full Christmas menu in the DCL app as I figured some might want to know what they had. For special holidays they have the same menu in all the MDR's.

For appetizers we had the Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip and the Virginia Ham and White Cheddar Croquettes. Both delicious and warm.

For the main course, both of us ordered 2 dishes each because we both wanted the turkey but also wanted something else. My wife got the Pumpkin and Mascarpone Ravioli and said it was so very good. The pumpkin filling was slightly sweet with the ravioli shell being very tender. The oil enhanced all the other flavors. My second dish was the Marmalade Glazed Baked Virginia Ham. It was the best ham I have ever put in my mouth. The glaze and just the overall flavors of the ham were just perfect. I did not care for the sweet corn cake it came with but I was already stuffed at that point so I didn't care.

For desert I went with the Red Santa Tart. It was a little out of my comfort zone but the Fruit Compote inside of the cream was a really good combination of flavors. My wife went with the Chocolate Bavarian Cream. Hers really didn't have much flavor but the presentation was awesome.

Rolling to the next post for more pictures.

During dinner they had a piano in the center of the dining room. The pianist played various Disney Princess related songs as well as some holiday tunes.

Shortly after we sat down, Captain Daniele came on the ships intercom and gave a Christmas toast. He mentioned how happy they were to be back with us cruising again and wished us all health, happiness, and to create more memories with us all to last a lifetime. It was very sweet and, being the crier that I am, I definitely teared up.

After dinner we walked around the ship so I could grab some pictures. It was 9:45/10:00 at night and the ship was a literal ghost town. If you go on one of these cruises with reduced capacity, be sure to take advantage of all these pictures with no one around.

After we walked around, you guessed it, another All Hands on Deck Cheese platter from room service.

Rolling to the next post for Day 3.

One thing I forgot to mention in earlier posts is that they did add hand washing stations to Cabanas and they absolutely will make you wash your hands (which is good.)

Day 3 was our day at Castaway. We decided to skip breakfast. To disembark the ship, you join a virtual queue on the DCL app. The virtual queue was to open at 7:30AM but didn't. I kept refreshing and finally got it around 7:40AM and it had us as group 165 with an expected debarkation time of 8:40. Around 8:30 we started heading down a bit and then around 8:45 we got our notice we could disembark. They're doing this to prevent lines from forming to get off the ship. They do not ask you for or verify your boarding group number when you scan your key to the world card off the ship so take that as you will.

We got off and then boarded the tram, also seated every other row. Swapped trams to go to Serenity Bay. Got to Serenity Bay and enter my second disappointment for the cruise, the hammocks are gone from Serinity Bay. They only have them at the private cabanas. I was so upset because I'm a bigger guy and those lounge chairs are not comfortable at all. My happy place has always been laying in the hammock for as long as I possibly can. I did end up, when it finally worked, messaging guest services that evening and supposedly they are coming back. They said it was due to COVID but they still have them at the cabanas soooo yeah. Had the hammocks not been gone, I would have literally gotten off the ship and booked the New Years Eve cruise for this weekend because we were loving it so much. I know that's a dumb thing to be upset over but that's how I relax on Castaway. We ended up leaving Castaway after lunch and just hung out on the ship doing the Aqua Duck and enjoying the adult pool areas.

Our last cruise was 3 years ago almost to the day. One other thing I noticed was that Serenity Bay has gotten very narrow (depth from the chairs to the water.) I'm guessing it has suffered some erosion over the last couple of years.

We did go watch Beauty and the Beast again. Technically they only want you to see it once due to social distancing but I'm glad we did because the theater was even more empty than the first night. The entire right section on the main floor was empty (couldn't see under the balcony as we sat upstairs.)

Dinner that night was at Animators Palate. Being us, we ordered the same food we ordered the first night from Royal Palace with the exception of I love the truffle pasta as an appetizer. I did end up talking with Crush as well during dinner lol

After dinner we took one final stroll around the ship and shed a few tears that it was our last night onboard this wonderful cruise with the most perfect weather we've ever had on an almost empty ship.

We headed back to our stateroom and finished packing. If you want them to take your bags off the ship for you, they must be outside in the hallway no later than 10:30PM.

We got up the next morning and decided to have breakfast (all the info about when to arrive is in your DCL app.) They began calling for the various luggage tag colors/characters at around 8:15AM to disembark the ship. Express walk off (where you carry your own bags started just before.) We had a quick breakfast and were off the ship by 8:50. They've remodeled the disembarking area and made it much easier to get off the ship in my opinion.

As we were getting off the ship, they were already taking down the Gingerbread house. In 2018, we took the New Years cruise and it was still up.

Rolling to the next post for closing remarks.

Last edited:

Summary

Overall, this was probably one of our best cruises. We couldn't have asked for better weather and the reduced capacity was so very nice. The amount of cleaning done on DCL is always incredible but now even more so. We witnessed them literally crawling on their hands and knees in some areas sanitizing the floors. I felt way safer onboard the ship than I have at WDW the last few months. At no time was I afraid of catching COVID and 99.9% of the cruisers wore their masks when they were supposed to. Occasionally we'd run into someone in the hallway without one but overall it was good.

I don't know that I would recommend one of these "COVID cruises" for a first timer because there is a good bit missing from the experience in regard to activities and entertainment but, at the same time, if you've never cruised DCL you wouldn't necessarily miss it.

The reduced crowds made the ship feel empty. Never before have I walked the halls and atrium around 9:30/10 and not seen another passenger before. Not having to sit with others at dinner was so very nice and made dinner fly by. One thing the wife and I did discuss is that not having tablemates and reduced activities does make it harder to "make friends" onboard. In previous cruises, we've made friends that we've even ended up sailing with again later.

I would hands down recommend going on one of the reduced capacity cruises if you're considering it. The only and I mean only negatives we had were what felt like reduced entertainment and the removal of the hammocks from Serinity Bay. Everything else from the service to the quality of the food was impeccable.

As a PSA, please be friendly to and tip your servers and room host/hostess well. One thing we've done since our third cruise was bring a small gift or treat for our room host/hostess and service team each night. It doesn't have to be anything huge but, especially now with them not getting to disembark, it makes a huge difference. Our room host was in tears the morning we disembarked because of how nice we were to him. Apparently, they've been dealing with a lot of rude and unfriendly guests since they've been back cruising. It costs you nothing to be nice and, for as long as they had to be off the ship, they deserve it. Typically, we will bring candy to leave for them. For example, on this cruise we brough a bunch of those candy filled candy canes like you leave in a stocking for Christmas. It's a small gesture but anytime we've done it, the crew has been so incredibly thankful. You can of course always thank them with tipping them above and beyond what you did before.

In short, book yourself a cruise now! Thanks for reading along.

Very helpful info! Thank you so much! We are hopefully, (with fingers crossed) sailing Fri, Jan 7th!

Excellent write up, thank you!

We are in the same boat...FL resident, 3 day Dream, VGT 7A, but got the family deluxe room (first time with the round tub) so I'm taking this as a good omen that we'll have a magical experience like yours.

I loved reading your write-up! We were on the Dec. 27 Dream ship, and many of our experiences were similar to yours. But I believe there were around 1,900 people on ours (told by another passenger, not a CM), and our Beauty & the Beast was at capacity before the start time! It was my first time on DCL so I didn't even know about the other experiences you mentioned. It was a great cruise and I also felt quite safe with their covid mitigations. I loved our host and he made the best characters our of towels to put on our bed. I wish I'd thought to give him candy or gifts each day like you did. But at least we did tip him well.

I loved reading your write-up! We were on the Dec. 27 Dream ship, and many of our experiences were similar to yours. But I believe there were around 1,900 people on ours (told by another passenger, not a CM), and our Beauty & the Beast was at capacity before the start time! It was my first time on DCL so I didn't even know about the other experiences you mentioned. It was a great cruise and I also felt quite safe with their covid mitigations. I loved our host and he made the best characters our of towels to put on our bed. I wish I'd thought to give him candy or gifts each day like you did. But at least we did tip him well.

That's so wild that the after Christmas cruise was busier than the Christmas one. Had they taken down all the decorations when you all boarded? They were breaking down the gingerbread house when we got off the ship.

They were still playing Christmas music, and I believe there were still decorations, but there wasn't really a focus on Christmas. I'm surprised that ours was busier than yours too!

Enjoyed your thorough review. I’m debating a 3 night with my kids who are begging to get back on a Disney cruise. I know you were adults sailing, but could you tell if there were enough activities to keep kids engaged? With reduced kids club and waiting lines for the pool Im concerned it will be a bust for my kids. We frequent Disneyland so my kids aren’t as concerned with characters but love the pools, shows and kids club.

Enjoyed your thorough review. I’m debating a 3 night with my kids who are begging to get back on a Disney cruise. I know you were adults sailing, but could you tell if there were enough activities to keep kids engaged? With reduced kids club and waiting lines for the pool Im concerned it will be a bust for my kids. We frequent Disneyland so my kids aren’t as concerned with characters but love the pools, shows and kids club.
In general I felt like there were less kids on board and I have a feeling now will probably be even less considering the age 5+ vaccine requirement. We are sailing again this Friday so I'll try to look in the Navigator to see how much kids stuff is scheduled and report back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter