A grand adventure of a lifetime! May 2014 ( THE FINAL)

After having my heart broken from the Poly construction I picked up the pieces and went on to planning our trip. I would have a few challenges to deal with in my planning strategy. With the boys I was not sure how they would managed some late nights. With my mom having hip issues walking would not be the only problem but standing for long periods of time could even be worse. As mentioned before with my husbands anxiety we would have to limit tight crowds. With the entire family except me heat could also be an issue. I on the other hand do not mind the heat.
WOW! This would take some dedicated planning! If you notice my post you will see I have visited this site often. I would have been lost without all the DIser whom have helped my out. :worship:
It was decided that May would be the best time for our family to visit WDW. I was hoping for fare weather and less crowds with kids still being in school or having graduation party's. With the dates of May 13- May 19th we would catch both the Flower Fest at Epcot and Star Wars Weekend at Hollywood Studios. DOUBLE BONUS! My First plan was to to have a day at each park and one day at a water park. Now we live about 5 to 6 hours from the Water Park Capital of the world ( Wisconsin Dells ). Since we try to make it yearly to the Dells and with all we wanted to do at Disney we decided to add an additional day at Magic Kingdom instead of the water park.
One night we got together with my parents for dinner and a Disney planning night. Everyone added activities and places to eat that they would enjoy doing. That was the easy part. I was left to fit everything in without having to stand in line long, fight crowds and get some pretty tough ADR's Sure no problem!
The first step would be planning our park days around our hope full ADR's. I wanted to be able to wine and dine my parents giving them the opportunity to order what ever they wanted off the menu. I knew my mom and Dad were steak lovers and and they enjoyed seafood as a special treat so both a great steak house and a seafood restaurant had to make the cut. The boys had there heart set on Sci Fi , Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex. I still could not get the Poly out of my mind. I wanted to have the chance to give the boys a taste of Hawaii this trip so The Spirit of Aloha was important for me. Being that Bill would not be comfortable waiting in line to see Fantasmic I really liked the idea of doing the Fantasmic Dinner Package at Mama Melrose. Being that my boys and I are a HUGE Stich fans we all wanted to go to Ohana's for there character breakfast. During my research I found out that Be Our Guest was the hottest ADR out there and also the hardest to get. Being that I have all boys, princess meals would not be that important but a chance to meet the 7 feet beast in person would be OUTSTANDING!! So many restaurants and some being fine dinning. Considering we were on the mid level dining program how could we choose? Would we be able to get the hottest ADR out there??? My plans for now were to get what I could and figure out the details later.

The day had finally arrived! The 180 day to be exact. The day I would make sure I was off of work and up at the crack of dawn. it was a cold November day in Central Illinois but I was dripping with sweat. I was anxiously loged on to my computer pacing the floor waiting for the clock to strike 5:00am (6:00am Disney time) which I thought would be the time to make my ADRS on line. I was praying there would not be an disappointments this time around. The clock strike 5:00 and I ran to the computer like a bat out of hell only to have the Disney web site tell me I could not make any ADRS at this time. I thought to myself." there goes BOG!" May be I could get the others. The time from 5:00am to 6:00am (7:00am Disney time) was pure torture!! Phone in hand the whole time I kept hitting redial about 5 minutes before 6:00. At 6:00am on the dot I got through to an AMAZING CM! First up the chance to get BOG. I heard the lady on the other end say, "and for what date," I nearly passed out. OMG what date, what date? I got myself so nervous I had almost forgot? I managed to mumbled out the date and heard her say that the ONLY time she had was for 4:10 PM. I heard myself scream out, " I WILL TAKE IT!!!!! After that is was just AMAZING! Every restaurant I threw at her she could work out a great time for us! Coral Reef, Le Cellar, Spirt of Aloha, Ohana's character breakfast, Fulton's Crab House, Tony's, Mama Melrose with Fantasmic Dinner package!!! OMG I DID IT!!! My first thought was of my boys and how excited they will be. It was my first experience receiveing some Disney Magic pixiedust: but would not be the last one.
Then an amazing thing happened. That CM was the best! Knowing I was dealing with three boys she informed me of two assume activities for them. She asked me, " so how much do your boys like to be pirates?" She went on to tell me about Pirates League. Now I know there is a lot of Disney Veterans out there whom already know about this activity but for you whom are reading this and fairly new to the WDW scene Pirates League is a place that transforms both kids and adults to becoming a Pirate or a Mermaid! They have to say a pledge as well. They have several face paint styles to choose from and even receive accessories to complete the look. This sounds fun! The boys would LOVE it!! Sign me up! Then the CM went on to explain they had a special cruise with a pirate on board whom would take us to see the fireworks at Magic Kingdom. They would serve cake , fruit and punch before leaving by boat to view the fireworks with a pirate as a our guide. A visit from Peter Pan would be thrown into the mix. Wow you mean no waiting for hours fighting crowds to see wishes?? You Betcha, count us in!!! Surprisingly everything was starting to take shape and actually lead us to a theme for our trip to Disney as well as finalize our resort choice. Can you guess what that might be?

With ADR's in place I went to working on an itinerary. The Next few months I got on these boards regularly asking questions about park strategies. Thanks to all whom have assisted me on that journy:wave2:. With mom in mind I studied the park maps to help me perfect a pathway that would save us walking yet allow us to do the rides and activities of choice without waiting in long lines yet still fitting in time for our ADR's. That was probably my greatest challenge as well as my biggest accomplishment. But would it all work out? Only time would tell.

While working on the itinerary I came across Fine Art Photography a business that sends out photographers to the parks and certain resorts to take family portraits. What a great idea! The Poly happened to be one of the resorts that was available. Now if only I could fit it in before our 9:00am Character Breakfast at Ohana's I could possibly beat the bright hot Florida sun and get some great shots before the kids make a mess of themselves. To my surprise an 8:00am appointment was available. I went ahead and scheduled the appointment hoping we would have enough time to make it to Ohana's. It seemed like the perfect plan! We could hop on the monorail to Mk after breakfast and make it in plenty of time for our 11:00am Pirate's League appointment. What had seemed like an eternity I had finally come up with the following general Itinerary

Arrival Day: Check in at Resort
Downtown Disney
Fulton Dinner at 6:00pm

2nd Day: Magic Kingdom
Fantasy Land
Tony's Lunch at 11:30am
Tomorrow Land
Festival of Fantasy Parade
Spirit of Aloha

3rd Day Animal Kingdom
Flame Tree BQ Lunch
Rainforest Cafe Dinner at 4:45pm

4th Day: Hollywood Studios for Star Wars Weekend
Sci Fi Lunch at 11;45am
Mama Melrose Fanstamic Dinner package at 5:55pm
Fantasmic

5th Day: Epcot for Flower and Garden Fest
Coral Reef Lunch at 11:30am
Travel the worlds
Le Cellar Dinner at 6:30pm
Illuminations

6th Family Portrait Session
Ohana's Character Breakfast at 9:00am
Magic Kingdom
Pirates League
Adventure Land
Frontier Land
BOG Dinner at 4:10pm
Pirates Pals Cruise

Day 7: Downtown Disney
T-Rex Lunch at 11:30am

Taking a step back and admiring my progress I began to see A theme take form. One of the rides on our to do list was Pirates of the Caribbean and was to be added to our MK day when we had Pirates League and Pirate Pals Cruise set up. It was to be a Pirate Adventure day! That is when it dawned on me. Why not look into the Caribbean Beach Resort? While searching through pictures of the resort I discovered it had a very tropical feel to the resort with beautiful tropical flowers throughout the grounds.
CBR_zpsb20fc546.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The kids would just Love this pool!
20110929_055_zps22da53ac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There is even a pirate ship for the wee little pirates
IMG_1170-923x1024_zpsdc53031c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There is no waterfall here but this fountain possess a beauty all it's own.
20110929_054_zpsd4044de2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Beautiful sugar white beaches located by each village.
CB_EST_1_998_zps5c2cfba5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This place even has a secret hideaway! Wow how gorgeous!
IMG_1178_zpseed31e8a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This beautiful resort almost seemed MAGICAL!
magic_zps8a8b6493.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We decided to price this resort and while doing so received some Disney Magic for a second time. Wow what luck! Disney was running there spring sale! With the price I was quoted we could up grade to deluxe dining and still save around $2 grand. But wait there are rumors that CBR has odors, is way too big and the bus system is terrible! I was at a loss. What should I do? That is when I found out about the CBR thread.

Dansdad and Mickeystoontown were my gracious hosts helping me with any question I had. They provided me with a whole different view of CBR and opened up my world! They put my mind at easy and assured me the rumors were just that. A perception of some if you will but what resort did not have that. Dansdad even revealed a gem of a location within the village of Jamaica. To me they revealed a "diamond in the rough". How perfect! I thought to myself. A Pirates Adventure! Yes! That is it! We could have a Pirate theme vacation. It would fit quite well with our last day at MK which would be a Pirate day! After all what pirate would not be happy with a Caribbean getaway equipped with a pool filled with cannons and secret passages? It was PERFECT!

Moving forward I found myself in search for the proper pirate attire.

you are doing a great job writing up the details of your planning process! Your day 6 with the photo shoot and pirates league and BOG looks like a really great day!

Wow, can't imagine how nervous I would be if my wife worked somewhere "getting knifed" is a possibility

Glad things worked out with finding/settling on Caribbean Beach ... I would hate to plane a "once in a lifetime trip" and get there and be disappointed by construction

you are doing a great job writing up the details of your planning process! Your day 6 with the photo shoot and pirates league and BOG looks like a really great day!

Wow, can't imagine how nervous I would be if my wife worked somewhere "getting knifed" is a possibility

Glad things worked out with finding/settling on Caribbean Beach ... I would hate to plane a "once in a lifetime trip" and get there and be disappointed by construction
Thank you! That means alot! That day was my favorite day! I wish you all could have seen the way those boys responded to Pirates League. They truly transformed to become real pirates! So Unbelievably fun!

Yes I am very grateful I do not have to worry about that. I truly believe tha tGod has something to do with Bill landing that IT position at Cat. It is the only thing that explains it. He had NO computer experience before that, they trained him.

We actually were very happy with CBR. It was a beautiful resort! the rest I can not reveal to you just quite yet.

Did you get the Pirates themed rooms??!

I would have loved too and I know the boys would have fliped but I also heard the matressess were more like a bunk bed matress. That would have been miserable for my mom whom has hip issues. I did not even show the boys they had them so there would be no disappointment. They thought it was special to have the finding nemo rooms so I left it at that.

Just wanted everyone to know I finished the last chapter. Hated to back track but there was more info I wanted to share.

Thank goodness I saw your post over on the CBR thread or I would have missed that you had started the report. What wonderful pictures of your family! My mother lives right beside us and I know that relieved feeling of knowing your children are in the care of family. Nothing beats being having grandparents teach our children life lessons (and possibly throw in a little spoiling too;)).

I'm so glad that I was able to help you decide on staying at the CBR. As you well know, it's our home away from home when we visit Disney. This time last week, we were still in Disney and I'm suffering from CBR & Disney withdrawal already. :sad2:

Looking forward to reading more!

Thank goodness I saw your post over on the CBR thread or I would have missed that you had started the report. What wonderful pictures of your family! My mother lives right beside us and I know that relieved feeling of knowing your children are in the care of family. Nothing beats being having grandparents teach our children life lessons (and possibly throw in a little spoiling too;)).

I'm so glad that I was able to help you decide on staying at the CBR. As you well know, it's our home away from home when we visit Disney. This time last week, we were still in Disney and I'm suffering from CBR & Disney withdrawal already. :sad2:

Looking forward to reading more!

So glad to hear that you have family close. It really is a great thing!
I totally get the "Disney Withdrawal". It has been exactly one month today that we were at Disney for our first day and we are still suffering from it.
I am really looking forward to reading your TR.

You did a great job so excited to follow you. We are going in November and would love to take my engagement pictures there. I tried to look up Fine Art Photography of Orlando but couldn't find it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hello :wave2: joining in ! I know how you must of felt about the Poly construction :sad1: We have stayed there twice and it is my favorite resort.
We were there the last week of May staying at POR and I have the Disney withdrawals too :sad: We only go on short trips so it flys by to fast. I'm already planning our next trip and CBR is one of my first choices :thumbsup2

http://www.disneyeventphotography.com/
You did a great job so excited to follow you. We are going in November and would love to take my engagement pictures there. I tried to look up Fine Art Photography of Orlando but couldn't find it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I am having issues adding links for some reason. It had added the link to the top for some reason. Wow that would be a fantastic place to get engagement pictures! Just keep checking with the Poly construction board or google Tiki man's site for updates on the construction at the Poly. By your dates the pool will be close and they we be working on that area. Also I beleive the water fall may soon be close or already close permenantly. However there is a beautiful area along Luau beach with the wedding chapel of the Grand Floridian in the background that would be perfect. As far as I know the construction is not supose to take place over there. Plus there is beautiful walk ways that would be nice as well. If the construction gets to be too much over there you may want to try another resort or one of the Parks. MK right by the castle may also be a great place. Check the wedding threads as well. There was a photograher Randy Chapman that also took pictures at the parks and resorts that was very reasonably priced. Have a great time and congrats!

Hello :wave2: joining in ! I know how you must of felt about the Poly construction :sad1: We have stayed there twice and it is my favorite resort.
We were there the last week of May staying at POR and I have the Disney withdrawals too :sad: We only go on short trips so it flys by to fast. I'm already planning our next trip and CBR is one of my first choices :thumbsup2

WE were considering POR as well. I hear the grounds are beautiful! I do not think you will be disapointed with CBR. We stayed in Jamaica 45. I thought the walk to the main dining and pool area was not bad at all plus it was a beautiful walk over the bridge. It was a standard room. I highly suggest Jamaica. Plus they are in the process of up dateing the rooms to Queens. The best way to deal with Disney withdral is to write a trip report to relive the adventure, plan another trip, and make a scrap book of the trip you just went on.;) Enjoy you next trip!

Hey! Following along!

You're so lucky to have such great parents. :thumbsup2 My mom lives 1 (yes ONE) mile from me and not ONCE has she asked if there was anything she could help me with.

I'm excited to read more about CBR. We're scheduled for September!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter