? about Parent swap/GAC for autistic son

PamPP

Earning My Ears
HI,

My family will be taking our first trip to WDW in May. :cheer2: I have 3 dc ages: 14, 13 and 11. I have an HF autistic 14 year old son who we anticipate will not want to do a lot of the rides. We also anticipate that his sisters will want to do all of them!

I have a few questions about the logistics of standing in line, riding rides, etc.

My son has a lot of issues with loud noises from crowds (more than loud noises associated with a ride), darkness, escalators, "people watching him", etc. What frequently happens is that we can get him to ride, show, etc. but when it comes to actually getting in the ride, etc. he freaks and refuses to get in, on, whatever. :guilty: If this were to happen is it possible for him to then be able to step aside and wait for us to finish the ride? Also if we are using the GAC card for him and they are letting us board in a different area or whatever and then he decides he is not going to ride - will the rest of the family be able to continue with the ride?

I am getting nervous reading about the moving walkways for some of the rides because some of the rides using those are rides that I thought we might be able to get him to ride/enjoy. But I know he will freak over the moving walkway. I definitely do not want to hold up the line or cause other problems but when he refuses to budge there is not much we can do about it now (he is 6'1" and 210 lbs.!)

Are these issues that we could work with if we obtained a GAC for him?

What about Parent Swap? Will they let us use that option even if he is 14 and obviously not a "child"? This would be my preference.

He is definitely one of those kids that needs a lot of de-sensitization to get used to something - are there things we can do before we go that might "introduce" him to some of the things he will encounter at WDW? For instance - I thought of taking him to our local airport have him possibly practicing riding the moving walkways there. He goes to the movies and has finally not used his fingers to plug his ears through the whole movie. He also has a thing about wearing 3-D glasses and I know that some of the shows at Disney use these.

Any suggestions about what rides to try or those to avoid - even though they appear harmless (he obviously will not be doing space mountain, TOT, etc.) But I am wondering if we started him out "easy" he might work his way up to things like Kali River Rapids, etc.

Thanks all for you help!

Pam (NC)

I can't help with most of your queries although I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

However with regard to the 3d glasses you do not have to wear these - although the film is not as good without them there would be no problem if your son decided not to.

By the way my DS is 14 and is also bigger and stronger than me and I rely on co-operation to get him to do things as there is no way I could insist!!

Sue

If you check the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is one post in it that has a link to information about boarding rides that have moving walkways. It included a list of the rides with them and a bit of an explanation. The new Passporter book also has descriptions of each attraction from the viewpoint of which have things like moving walkways.
They will allow adults to do "Parent Swap" if they don't want to ride. I have done it on Primeval Whirl and my adult DD has done it on Kali River Rapids. All the rides also have an exit right before boarding if he gets that far and then chooses not to ride.
For rides to avoid, it would be easier to help with advice if you could put a little more about what sorts of things he would not like. For example, my nephew did not like it in Pirates when the skeleton said "Dead Men Tell No Tales", but he didn't have as much trouble as we thought he would with the dark.

We just got back (12/22-1/1) and after 6 days in the parks I broke down and got the GAC for my son. While having it when we needed it was great, I was extremely disappointed with the parent swap arrangement. When my youngest was a baby several years ago, I could have swore that you would swap at the exit thereby eleminating the wait for the second parent. This trip, however, you had to parent swap thru the fast pass line which at times (Christmas week is a peak time!) was 45 minutes long! So while the first parent fast passed and we returned at our alloted time and waited in line as usual, when we "swapped" the second parent had to wait in the FP line again meaning that some rides we were in line for about 2 hours when all was said and done.

i usually go in the off season with my son who has austim. it is easier. less noies. less people. i have never had to re enter a ride or had a long wait if someone would not or could not ride. one time my son with autism wanted to ride and the little brother did not. i was by my self. they let the little brother stay with the ride operator and i rode with my son. oh they did not make me wait in line, and asked what next ride we wanted to ride. they took us to the head of the line and the little one started the ride and we rode.

I have a answer to one of your questions. I know that if the person thats name on the pass is not riding the attraction they will not let you use the handicap entrance. There has been several times when my kids were younger and got scared before entering the attraction they would tell the family they had to go back and wait in the line and would hand us a child swap for who waited with them. It is clearly written on the pass that if the person that the pass is issued to does not ride then it can not be used. They always ask who the pass is for when we get there to make sure that person is riding.

About the child swap, you can get them for anyone that is unable to go on the attraction including adults. I have never waited in the fastpass line more then 15 mins and that is a very long time normally it is about 5 mins. The person that waited 45 mins had a very bad experiance and that is not normal.They do make you go in fastpass on most attractions with child swaps.
I hope you have a great time :-)
(((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))
Jen

In the instances where our DS didn't want to ride, we got the FP's for everyone else, then returned. The GAC was a blessing because we could stay in the area for the 1-2 hours, still have access to attractions for him, then return to our FP's when it was time. It's just getting where he can't move thru the parks like he use to. So we DO fp the rest of our party when he doesn't participate and one of us adults will take him to do whatever he wants to do. Sometimes that means riding the blue line for an hour! LOL!!

I was also the one that posted I had to wait 45 min. We had FP'd test track and he didn't want to ride so some of us went thru (45 min fp wait) then child swapped so the other parent could ride and that is when we had another 45 min fp wait. I did this twice that day as the other kids wanted to ride test track more than once. There were a couple of other attractions that had long FP waits like this too. Of course, we were there Christmas week thru New yrs so it's not like they were crowded or anything! :)

JenJen said:
I have a answer to one of your questions. I know that if the person thats name on the pass is not riding the attraction they will not let you use the handicap entrance. There has been several times when my kids were younger and got scared before entering the attraction they would tell the family they had to go back and wait in the line and would hand us a child swap for who waited with them. It is clearly written on the pass that if the person that the pass is issued to does not ride then it can not be used. They always ask who the pass is for when we get there to make sure that person is riding.

About the child swap, you can get them for anyone that is unable to go on the attraction including adults. I have never waited in the fastpass line more then 15 mins and that is a very long time normally it is about 5 mins. The person that waited 45 mins had a very bad experiance and that is not normal.They do make you go in fastpass on most attractions with child swaps.
Jen

PamPP, do not be embarrassed to get a GAC for your son. Sometimes he can ride and sometimes he may back out. Think of the "baby swap" as a "family swap". If a family member (who cannot ride) needs another person to stay with them, their age is not relevant. ::MickeyMo

In my experience, Test Track has always had the longest FP lines of any attraction at WDW - even the single rider line is long!

My DS is an adult and has many of the same exact issues. We just got back and the GAC is a huge help for his issues. He wears earplugs the entire time because the people noise is non-stop and if there is an child outburst or something, we could loose him before we get the plugs in. We do "adult" swap. We did it on SM. Was a breeze and they are very helpful. When we do have to que or wait for shows, our family kinda builds a barrier around him and then creates space so he doesn't feel closed in. Some shows etc have pre-wait areas that can get crowded. GAC hasn't help avoid this. My DS does fine with 3d glasses but my typical DD hates them, so she just doesn't wear them. But note that these movies are really 4d, there are sensory things so that if he doesn't do well with that. I think the worse two are Honey I Shrunk the audience and Bugs Life. My DD hates both of them. Can be unnerving. If you plan to do HM, use the GAC and tell them he can't do the "stretching room" because of the closeness of the people will be upsetting. It makes a huge difference to our enjoyment of this ride. We like to arrive at parks after the opening, so the bulk of the people are in that were waiting. BUT what I do suggest is have one person take him with NO backpacks etc straight throught the security area and let the others go through the check. This was great for us, DH took him and they sat and waited for us in an open area. No stress at the beginning. Did you get a Disney planning DVD so he can watch it and know what it all looks like, that may help.

ps My Test Track suggestion is to do EM at EPCOT, go straight there, ride it and you will do okay and be done.

JenJen said:

Jen

Gosh, that stinks! Because if you think about it- especially if the GAC is given because of that child's issues with things involved with waiting in longer lines... how is ANYONE supposed to be able to ride that ride if he's with you yet gets up there and doesn't want to ride the ride? Assuming ofcourse you don't have someone who can sit out that ride while the rest of your party goes back to get in the regular queue... if you have no one to sit out with him and you're forced thru a line that this child is the reason you have the GAC in the first place- how are you going to ride that ride? You can't just go get in the normal line with that child. If you could do that, you wouldn't be needing a GAC in the first place (in some situations/some GACs ofcourse)

That doesn't make sense. I haven't ever heard of a GAC that is given because of the RIDE or any allowances while ON the ride.. they are usually related to things about the LINE for the ride that causes issues (either crowds, danger for others, standing in sunlight, needing their stroller as a wheelchair in line, etc. etc.) So things related to the line are the issue- but you must forget the GAC and go in the line if your child gets up there and refuses to ride? Basically they are saying if you have a GAC and your child refuses to ride- you don't get to ride that ride... unless like I said you have someone in the party that sits (out of the line somewhere) with that child while the rest of the party goes to get in line and ride the ride. Doesn't make sense! :(

By the same token- wouldn't that mean that if you have a child that has a GAC, if it's a ride that they aren't tall enough you can't use the GAC? They won't be able to ride, and you can't use the GAC for any reason for whatever allowances are stamped on there- since the child can't ride the ride. Gosh..... I thought in that case a GAC could be used to make allowances needed for that child while the rest of the party was able to ride the ride (doing parent swap or whatever to switch out with the child too short). Ofcourse that's assuming on a ride that doesn't have FP to go the normal FP/parent swap route anyway... which someone else already mentioned that at times FP line can be quite long also- which could cause some issues with some kids that have the GAC for those issues in the first place! Which would mean long FP line, 2 times for parent swap... GAC child just waiting that entire time (which could cause some GAC children some major issues with that alone...)

:(

(Took out picture so people don't copy it)

I wanted to show you what the card looks like so that you can see that it states that the person that the card is issued to must experiance the attraction. I am sure they would make an exception if there was not someone to wait out with Him or her. When I worked for Disneyland attractions I was very accomidating and if the child with special needs got upset i would let the family ride no questions asked. But cast members are trained to make sure the person with the disability rides in order to use the pass.
Sometimes cast members don't care and bend the rules but there are those that go right by the book and will make the party wait in line if the person the pass was issued to did not ride. I hope that this helps and that you all understand what I am saying. I am in a lot of pain right now and my mind is in La La Land LOL.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Jen

But if you have no one to sit with the child while you are in line, who is supposed to be with your child if he refuses to ride and you all want to go on at once? I know that you wouldn't leave the child alone, but it is also not the resposibility of the CM who is working the ride to keep your child safe. That wouldn't be safe for anyone.

If the child is afraid of the ride at the vehicle entry point, where would the child wait, with whom, while the rest of the party rides? You certainly wouldn't want the child to wait by the vehicle entry, as the child would be stressed/scared, wouldn't he? I guess the entire party would have to go in through the exit, if the ride was accessible that way (sometimes you can't, it's not physically possible in the ride cycle) but still, who would wait, where?

I think the best thing to do if a child refuses to ride/is afraid to ride, would be to get FPs for a ride, split up the group into two, and go one after the other, while half the group waits outside with the child. It would take longer, it doesn't give you fast access, but it keeps the child away from the ride, with family members.

I forgot one thing if the child is to small to ride the attraction they will suggest you take your child to another attraction while your family waits in the normal line. They are very strict about the card holder riding with those types of rides. The reason is that the card is for them and the other people in your group are more then able to wait through the line so there is no reason for the pass to be used if he or she is not riding.
(((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
Jen

PamPP - As I was reading your description/various issues w/ your HF son, you were literally describing my 6 year old HF autistic daughter. She too requires alot of de-sensitization to get used to something like going to the movies which I have not been able to succesfully do. She to this day refuses to go the movie theatre. She also has issue w/ 3D glasses which I had not known, but discovered when we went to see the Radio City Xmas Rockettes and did not want to wear them. And of course she too has issues with people watching her, loud noises, and darkness.

I'm interested in finding out others went about obtaining a GAC card. I've read some conflicting reports on this topic. Do you just need a list explaining her needs? Do you need a dr's note?
I just want, for example, if she's approached by Cinderalla or say Mickey character that if she's hesitant in responding to you or even acknowledging you, they will know why and work with her. I honestly don't know how my daughter will respond to lines, rides, etc once we are there, but I would like to have GAC card in case accomodations will need to be made. We plan on going in either May or October, most likely October.

prcoamo said:
I just want, for example, if she's approached by Cinderalla or say Mickey character that if she's hesitant in responding to you or even acknowledging you, they will know why and work with her.
Basically there are two types of character interactions.

One is at designated location where the Guest will approach the character. In this case there should be no problem.

The other is when the Character approaches the Guests, such as in a Character meal. In this situation the first thing to do is let your server know the problem and ask that the "handler" be notified. This is the person, usually in a yellow and white shirt, who accompanies and/or supervises the Characters. They will make sure that the Character slowly approaches your child from the front and looks for reactions. I have seen this working several times when at a Character meal with Brightsy and her children.

There is a third interaction, but this is with "Streetmosphere" cast; they are dressed as normal people and talk/play with Guests. These are normally found only in MGM and some of the World Showcase coiuntries.

prcoamo said:
I'm interested in finding out others went about obtaining a GAC card. I've read some conflicting reports on this topic. Do you just need a list explaining her needs? Do you need a dr's note?

It was easy- I just got back. I am 21 years old and I look perfectly healthy. I would consider myself perfectly healthy. I have major issues with crowds (think panic attacks and child-meltdowns). I went to guest relations at the MK told them exactly what I needed (I felt really guilty so it was a short, quiet sentence) and she took down my information (name, # in my group, dates) and that was it. It took all of 5 minutes and there were no "why" questions asked. It couldnt have been easier or less intimidating.

In June I was with a family who needed the "stroller as wheelchair" GAC and it was super easy too.

Let me know if you need any other info-

prcoamo said:
I just want, for example, if she's approached by Cinderalla or say Mickey character that if she's hesitant in responding to you or even acknowledging you, they will know why and work with her. I honestly don't know how my daughter will respond to lines, rides, etc once we are there, but I would like to have GAC card in case accomodations will need to be made. We plan on going in either May or October, most likely October.
If you haven't already looked, check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread. The last post in that thread is about GACs.
A lot of websites or books say you need a doctor's note, but that is not required. Some people (especially with invisible disabilities) like to bring a doctor's note, but it's not required.
As already mentioned, be prepared to explain the person's needs and issues. Some people have written a list because they felt more comfortable doing it that way than speaking to the CM.

As Cheshire Figment mentioned, the best is to let the handler know that your child may have some issues with the characters. They will clue in the character (often, they will say things like "Mickey, we have a special guest here"). The characters are great at gently encouraging interaction in a non-threatening way.
For the character interactions that occur in the character greeting areas, while waiting in line your child will see other people interacting with the characters and he/she will be able to see how close the front of the line is getting. For the character meals, the characters follow a set pattern of coming to tables, so again, you can see them coming and know when your table will be next.

Thank you all for your responses to my questions regarding my son.

Lots of good information - I wrote a lot of things down!!

I am just worried about him not enjoying himself while we all have fun!

He does like to be very social - mostly with adults - and I was thinking that perhaps he would like to do some pin trading. This might be a good way for him to interact with people without the anxiety of worrying about the rides. Anyone with experience with pin trading and your autistic child?

Thanks for you help!

Pam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter