? about Parent swap/GAC for autistic son

PamPP said:
Thank you all for your responses to my questions regarding my son.

Lots of good information - I wrote a lot of things down!!

I am just worried about him not enjoying himself while we all have fun!

He does like to be very social - mostly with adults - and I was thinking that perhaps he would like to do some pin trading. This might be a good way for him to interact with people without the anxiety of worrying about the rides. Anyone with experience with pin trading and your autistic child?

Thanks for you help!

Pam
My DD is not autistic, but has a lot of obsessive-compulsive tendencies. One of her "things" is that whatever she buys/gets has to be put into her backpack and many things never see the light of day again once they hit the backpack. (And we can't try to sneak them out later very well, since she knows what should be in there and gets rather upset if something is out that should be in. So, pin trading would not work for her.
That said, if your DS is OK with the idea of trading, I'd say pin trading would be a great way to interact and have a good time without going on rides.
I have read posts from people with children with special needs who found it was really great for their child. Hopefully, some will write to let you know first hand.

We did pin trading this time with our kids one of whom has autistic tendancies. He LOVED it. He doesn't ride very many rides so he really got into the trading. I would try to get some pins on sale at the disney store before you go or on ebay if you can figure out which "lots" would be good. You have to be careful because I know there are some pins that are not tradeable. The pin trading packs are $22 each for 4 pins. Individually they start at around $6.95. We also bought lanyards but the kids kept loosing!! their pins so I then bought the zippered pouch; much better! If you trade w/ the CM's you can get the cast member lanyard series, just ask if they have any "lanyard pins". If your son is under 12 yrs, he can trade w/ the CM's that wear the green lanyards. Once you start trading, try to pick a few series that he likes and then try to get those. I completed some sets when we got home from ebay. The ebay sellers I used were good (and I haven't ebayed in years so I didn't have a clue what I was doing!) So if you want their ID's let me know and I'll pm you. I don't think they had any lots but they did have some pins start at $3.99 and you can save on shipping when you purchase more than one. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter