Ages of your kids for Stroller use?

What Age do people stop taking a stroller for their children?

• Total voters
We aren't talking about a debate about 6-7 year olds. We are talking about whether or not a child without any special needs or disabilities who is 10 year olds need a stroller. At some point it's no longer a gray issue. My 14 year old doesn't need a stroller, either. My husband would probably love it if I pushed him in a stroller, but I'm not doing that, either.
I’d totally love to be pushed around, but my husband says no. Lol

My son was just shy of 3 when we started going. He had stopped using a stroller at home around 2. We did not bring one to WDW, there may have been one or two times the first trip when he was that young that we rented one toward the end of the day, but most of the time he walked. If he got too tired for words, we went back to the room. We did the trip at his pace, stopping and just sitting (or in his case playing) on benches and lawns when he needed to. He hated strollers even when he could barely walk so we really didn't use them much. The next time we went he was close to 5 and absolutely no stroller then.

We rented a double for our 4, 4 and 6 year olds, sometimes the 9 and 11 year olds would push it.

When DD was 5.5 we went for a 6 night trip in August. We didn’t take a stroller and she did great. We told ourselves that if she needed one we would rent one but she never complained. We did RD, midday breaks by the pool and then a PM park.

6 is my limit. I’m not pushing anyone in a stroller that is healthy over the age of 6. If they can’t walk it then we will do a different vacation.

Your ages are way too high
My kid at 10 could and did walk a lot further/faster than either DH or I.

We went with kids at 3&5, rented a double but it was empty half the time.

At 5&7, we rented a single in park twice during a 10 day trip during particularly long/late days.

There is absolutely no reason that a 5th grader without disabilities needs a stroller.

At what age do people bring their strollers for their kids. My good friends our travelling down with three kids, two of them are young girls who definitely need a stroller. The other child is a ten year old boy and his parents believe that he can do the whole trip walking. I simply warned them of the amount of walking that occurs at WDW.
SO I ask everyone at what age do ya'll stop bringing a stroller for?? I know, I know every kid is different and different abilities but whats the mean age.

Any healthy 10 yo should more then be able to walk around WDW for the duration. We have 2 kids and they used a stroller up to 4 years old. Once they turned 5, they walked. Never had any issues. My kids refused to use a stroller by that age saying that they were for babies, and they are. We walked at their pace, made sure to take enough breaks and had them drink plenty of water and eat healthy foods. That is just all a part of having kids, you can not keep the same pace as you could when you are just 2 healthy adults. If your healthy child is struggling by the end of the day, then something is wrong, either the pace is too fast, or they did not get enough breaks, or the food that they ate is not the "good energy" food. Just figure out what is going on, and fix it because they should be able to do the parks all day without being pushed in a stroller.

Relax folks, it’s a vacation. You can let your kids stay up later than normal, eat less healthy food than normal, not dress quite as nicely as normal, and even (gasp, shock, horror) let your 8 or 9 year old take a break by allowing them to ride or nap in a rental stroller during a long and tiring day. I can testify from personal experience that this does not cause them any lasting harm or turn them permanently into lazy couch potatoes, or have any negative effects at all on their regular lives. Do whatever works for your family and don’t worry about what the finger-waggers think.

Relax folks, it’s a vacation. You can let your kids stay up later than normal, eat less healthy food than normal, not dress quite as nicely as normal, and even (gasp, shock, horror) let your 8 or 9 year old take a break by allowing them to ride or nap in a rental stroller during a long and tiring day. I can testify from personal experience that this does not cause them any lasting harm or turn them permanently into lazy couch potatoes, or have any negative effects at all on their regular lives. Do whatever works for your family and don’t worry about what the finger-waggers think.

The average 10yo weighs 70 lbs. Where do you find a stroller that can fit a person of that size. You would be better off getting a wheelchair. There is a difference between staying up later or eating ice cream, and pushing an almost full grown kid in a stroller just because they get a bit tired.

In case you weren’t aware the OP asked at what age one stopped using a stroller.
I personally don’t care what anyone does, but once my children weren’t taking daily naps then they weren’t riding in a stroller either. Children, especially middle schoolers don’t belong in strollers. If you can’t vacation without one with a 4th grader then you are vacationing wrong. If you want to stick your almost tween in one go for it but that isn’t going to get people to accept that it’s a normal thing to do just because you are on vacation.

The average 10yo weighs 70 lbs. Where do you find a stroller that can fit a person of that size. You would be better off getting a wheelchair. There is a difference between staying up later or eating ice cream, and pushing an almost full grown kid in a stroller just because they get a bit tired.
Sitting catty-corner in a rental double. :)
By the way, minor typo in your post: I said “8 or 9 year-old” but you accidentally typed “10yo”.

Sitting catty-corner in a rental double. :)
By the way, minor typo in your post: I said “8 or 9 year-old” but you accidentally typed “10yo”.

The original poster was referring to a 10 yo. I really do not understand the mentality of those who want to put their fully capable children in a stroller. That is no different then renting a wheelchair for someone who does not need one. It's not breaking any laws or anything, just falls into the "why do people do these things" category.

My son was 7 (almost 8) and daughter just turned 4 this July when we used a double stroller (seat with a stander seat option). I would NOT have done it differently in that heat and with the two of them. However, I think my son was at the limit really and didn't use it except for when I made him so I could get through crowds quickly at the end of the night or on the days when it was ridiculously hot. I think a lot of people fear judgement at the older ages but if I've learned anything it's that Disney is a place where parents look at each other and give that look that says "I feel ya" rather than "***." Also...those considering it for more than a week should DEFINITELY buy on Amazon on sale and sell later on CL or eBay vs renting. You will save lots of cash.

Our kids were 5 & 7 for our last trip. The 5-year-old definitely needed the stroller. Like others have mentioned, the older kiddo took advantage of a chance to briefly sit down once or twice, but didn't *need* a stroller. Our kids will be 8 & 9 for our next trip and we won't have a stroller, though I am positive there will be a moment or two when we wish we had one for the younger one. Our 8-year-old is active and thin, but also wimpy when it comes to heat and tiredness. ;)

The original poster was referring to a 10 yo. I really do not understand the mentality of those who want to put their fully capable children in a stroller. That is no different then renting a wheelchair for someone who does not need one. It's not breaking any laws or anything, just falls into the "why do people do these things" category.
I’ve also let my kids have churros for lunch and allowed them to stay in their PJs all day (to be fair, one time I didn’t realize they were PJs). I’m definitely not a perfect parent but fortunately the kids turned out OK with college degrees, jobs, lots of friends, etc.

My friend was at WDW a few years ago with her DH's family. Her SIL ended up renting a wheelchair and having her DH push her around in it - I guess because her ankles were a bit swollen from the heat? My friend was mortified and didn't want to be seen with them! 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter