• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airline policy changes (United made another big one)

They lied.

It's not up to them to determine if a new flight is acceptable to you. DOT regulations require a refund if YOU don't like the alternative flight option.

I'm sorry you were lied to. This is why I posted what I did. It's basically a game of chicken right now.

The law is on the consumer's side, though, when the airline cancels. They don't get to choose whether or not to refund you. They HAVE TO, by law. If they don't, you can file a complaint against them via the DOT website and they will be fined. You can also then have your credit card reverse the charge after you have shown that you made attempts to get a refund unsuccessfully.

I had this same experience. Talked to three different agents. Stated DOT policy, stated original policy under which I booked, and kept talking and talking and got nowhere. They just kept saying their policy changed to 6 hours and they could rebook me on this other flight and my only option if I cancel was to take a credit or ecert. I did this 3 separate times as my flights kept changing. It was infuriating. A game of chicken is exactly what it was.

Good grief United is KILLING ME! But I live in Houston and so seem to be tied to them. We had a trip to Europe planned for end of May-beginning of June. Booked flights at 11 months out, as soon as the flights were released, which means under this policy I have to fly by this June to use my credit, which is NOT going to happen.

United's policy clearly states that if they cancel but can rebook you on a different flight within 25 hours, then you are not entitled to refund. Are you saying their policy is illegal? In any case, I hope they change this policy because it is unacceptable.

I'm in Houston, too. I'd MUCH rather fly Southwest, but they don't go to Alaska and we live MUCH closer to IAH than HOU. United is SO AWFUL!

This thread aptly illustrates why I will never, ever book a United flight anywhere, at any time. They are the absolute worst in terms of customer service. I had a ridiculously bad experience with them about five years ago, and have not flown them since. They are the industry leader in simply being awful. I'm so sorry to everyone who has had vacation and other travel plans impacted.

I will fly Delta only even if I have to do a layover.
I will need to make a decision by April 30 about canceling my United flight. The only thing I find appealing is their extended policy to Dec 2020. But not sure what that cancellation will get me. I will find time to call and let you know the options they give me because I’m too chicken to do it on the website.

This thread aptly illustrates why I will never, ever book a United flight anywhere, at any time. They are the absolute worst in terms of customer service. I had a ridiculously bad experience with them about five years ago, and have not flown them since. They are the industry leader in simply being awful. I'm so sorry to everyone who has had vacation and other travel plans impacted.

Trust me I never want to use them but now have an ecert for $800 that I will have to use or lose. Crazy thing is, this was the FIRST time I ever booked a ticket with them. Guess I learned my lesson!

I will fly Delta only even if I have to do a layover.
I will need to make a decision by April 30 about canceling my United flight. The only thing I find appealing is their extended policy to Dec 2020. But not sure what that cancellation will get me. I will find time to call and let you know the options they give me because I’m too chicken to do it on the website.

Please report back re the outcome of your flight.

Make you specify what kind of flight you had (refundable vs. non-refundable), when you purchased, when you were scheduled to travel, and what the terms of your credit/voucher/e-certificate/whatever you get are, just so there is no confusion.

I'm going to sit on my flights a while longer. I don't have anything scheduled until May 29, our trip hasn't been cancelled, yet, and I'm hoping that April 30 deadline goes away.

Trust me I never want to use them but now have an ecert for $800 that I will have to use or lose. Crazy thing is, this was the FIRST time I ever booked a ticket with them. Guess I learned my lesson!

Just to clarify, you got an e-cert because your flight was CANCELLED BY UNITED, and you didn't like the rebooking options, correct? However, you are technically entitled to a refund, but United is taking advantage of their customers and the situation and only issuing credits/e-certs.

Just to clarify, you got an e-cert because your flight was CANCELLED BY UNITED, and you didn't like the rebooking options, correct? However, you are technically entitled to a refund, but United is taking advantage of their customers and the situation and only issuing credits/e-certs.
Pretty much. They cancelled and automatically rebooked me. (They actually just said my flight changed from a non-stop and now had a layover, but I looked online and noticed that my non stop flight was completely gone and I had been moved to a different existing flight). I called them asap to get a refund. They refused and said they were in their right to rebook me on a similar flight that departed or arrived within 25 hours of the original flight. Then after challenging that they said 6 hours. I was on the phone for an hour and got nowhere. This was about 2 weeks before my flight. I opted to wait it out figuring they would cancel the other flight they rebooked it me on. It changed again and I called. No luck. Finally called to cancel at 40 hours prior to flight and only had the option for an ecert which is all they would give me after constantly reciting DOT policy, the United Policy (which was a 2 hour change) in place when I purchased the tickets in early Feb. I am not happy about it, but I never got anywhere with any call. I agree its crap and I know I am not the only one getting screwed in these shifty United policy changes.

Pretty much. They cancelled and automatically rebooked me. (They actually just said my flight changed from a non-stop and now had a layover, but I looked online and noticed that my non stop flight was completely gone and I had been moved to a different existing flight). I called them asap to get a refund. They refused and said they were in their right to rebook me on a similar flight that departed or arrived within 25 hours of the original flight. Then after challenging that they said 6 hours. I was on the phone for an hour and got nowhere. This was about 2 weeks before my flight. I opted to wait it out figuring they would cancel the other flight they rebooked it me on. It changed again and I called. No luck. Finally called to cancel at 40 hours prior to flight and only had the option for an ecert which is all they would give me after constantly reciting DOT policy, the United Policy (which was a 2 hour change) in place when I purchased the tickets in early Feb. I am not happy about it, but I never got anywhere with any call. I agree its crap and I know I am not the only one getting screwed in these shifty United policy changes.

That's what I thought. The other poster who kept saying THEY cancelled their ticket and got an e-cert good for 2 years doesn't make any sense. Although, United has conflicting info on their website, too, so I am really confused.

Last edited:
Good grief United is KILLING ME! But I live in Houston and so seem to be tied to them. We had a trip to Europe planned for end of May-beginning of June. Booked flights at 11 months out, as soon as the flights were released, which means under this policy I have to fly by this June to use my credit, which is NOT going to happen.

United's policy clearly states that if they cancel but can rebook you on a different flight within 25 hours, then you are not entitled to refund. Are you saying their policy is illegal? In any case, I hope they change this policy because it is unacceptable.

Yes, they cannot rewrite the policy to however it suits them. The DOT policy states that if the airline cannot reschedule you on a new flight that departs within a REASONABLE time from your original flight, they must refund your money. Reasonable is up to the consumer in this instance.

24 hours +/- is no one's definition of "reasonable".

DOT has already sent United a warning letter.

One thing I've learned from my experience with ABD during this crisis is that from now on I'm going to always have ABD at least look into airfare. If its a similar price to what I can get on my own, I'll book it. I could have had a full refund on airfare if I had done that for England/France...Instead now I'm sitting on a lot of "credits".

One thing I've learned from my experience with ABD during this crisis is that from now on I'm going to always have ABD at least look into airfare. If its a similar price to what I can get on my own, I'll book it. I could have had a full refund on airfare if I had done that for England/France...Instead now I'm sitting on a lot of "credits".
Hypothetically speaking, if ABD is the air agent and we are stuck let's say in London or Australia like what happened, I would then be able to make ABD rebook me flights home instead of me trying to get flights myself, correct? If this is the case, this is another added benefit with ABD air on top of the full refund in a cancellation situation.

Does anyone know if the ABD insurance amount is refundable or movable in a cancellation by ABD? If yes, I would also use ABD insurance instead of getting it OYO. If I booked insurance OYO, I would not get this back because I don't have the kind of insurance that can transfer. It seems that the least financial risk is to book all (tour, air, insurance) with ABD during this crisis, which might actually make me want to book in the future by booking all through ABD knowing that I would get full refunds in a cancellation.

Last edited:
When I go to cancel my United flight (to Vancouver) online, it says: "Can be applied to book a new ticket up to 12 months from today, for travel up to 24 months from today." From what I can see, they're not cancelling a lot of Houston to Vancouver flights, so I think I'll have to take the credit. The catch though is the credit won't include our upgraded seat selection to economy plus at $1200.

When I used to do tours (not with ABD but other companies), I would do the same thing.

When I go to cancel my United flight (to Vancouver) online, it says: "Can be applied to book a new ticket up to 12 months from today, for travel up to 24 months from today." From what I can see, they're not cancelling a lot of Houston to Vancouver flights, so I think I'll have to take the credit. The catch though is the credit won't include our upgraded seat selection to economy plus at $1200.

That is good news!

Actually my situation is worse than I thought. I booked the ticket in October. I can’t see how we will possibly be able to travel by then. I guess I can wait to see if flights get cancelled and then hopefully get better compensation than what is currently being offered. To have to travel from a year from booking is unreasonable in these circumstance.
I think the lesson I have learned is to book airfare with Disney. I have had two trips cancelled now- April Disneyland and June Danube. For the Danube I booked flights through Disney and got everything back in cash immediately. For Disney I booked my own flights and am now stuck with an airline credit. So lesson learned for me is unless there is a huge price difference I am just booking flights with Disney from now on.

I had a flight that I did cancel for a credit, and the upgrade to Econ plus did get refunded to my credit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter