Airmiles Armchair Chatter

regarding metro posting of miles ... short answer ? They SUCK!!! If you shop throughout the week and make a bunch of little transactions that don't earn you any miles because they're under $20 but you spend enough during the course of the week to get to a cumulative total over the $20 those miles will post perfectly, the same time frame as all the other grocery stores. However, for your actual shopping that does earn you miles that appear on your receipt?!?! Not so much because apparently it's up to the individual store to submit and they do it in batches. Our store is terrible, we shop there every single week and the most recent posting is from November 24th! I'm expecting to see a bunch post in the next couple of days, I'll suddenly see a jump in my balance and scroll back to find as many as 5 from metro, irks me!

@Donald - my hero have you received an Amex statement since the changes have occurred?
I just got mine and the $400/month that I spend on Presto doesn’t count under the 1/$5. I’m disappointed.
YES and i was annoyed that the hundreds I've paid to Greyhound didn't count but i thought it was because it says "transit (such as local commuter transportation " and Greyhound is "semi" national -- at least before it got slashed! I figured for sure Presto would be included. I think I might need to track this down on Monday.

YES and i was annoyed that the hundreds I've paid to Greyhound didn't count but i thought it was because it says "transit (such as local commuter transportation " and Greyhound is "semi" national -- at least before it got slashed! I figured for sure Presto would be included. I think I might need to track this down on Monday.
Presto covers several local transit systems so it should be included. Most of the money I spend is for GO but some is TTC and my cards are also linked to our local bus service.

My stars...I haven’t really looked at the monthly cost until tonight. I’m spending over $500 a month just for DD to commute to school. Then add in the car we bought her to get to the GO bus plus the insurance and gas for that car. :faint:

Got my year in review email today.

8819 miles earned (I've been slacking in comparison to 2017 & 2018!)

Earned Onyx for another year :flower:

Flew to Orlando using dream miles. Also stayed 9 nights in a hotel on dream miles so it's funny they don't show that!

Used 5130 cash miles to redeem for $540 worth at partners.

BMO Sobeys MC was my top earning source.

Earned 105 miles at AirMilesShops (not worth the hassle LOL) via Amazon, Indigo, and H&M.

Top miles partners are Sobeys, Shell, and Rexall (funny since I stopped shopping at Sobeys and Rexall about 1/4 into the year!)

Since joining in 2009 I've earned 52,598 miles. Would really love to see how many some of you have earned all time!!

So I got my email, and as part of it I got the "set your goal for next year" thing. I can't set my goal for Universal tickets, but people that got this "fast track" thing last year, did it really matter what you set your goal to?

My year in review:

It was a slower year than usual. I earned just shy of 10,000 miles.

I’ve been collecting for almost 15 years, but only really seriously collecting for about 4 or 5. Altogether I’ve earned 50,000 miles.

Plus I got my wife collecting this year (finally!!). She’s at 1500, which is pretty great for a month or so of collecting.

Last edited:
I decided that I would go ahead and purchase $250 in Disney gift cards to complete my STB BMO MC offer for spend $700 get 100 miles. I had thought about it and wondered if it was really worth the bother for what equates to $5 in AM's but then thought, since I will be going anyways and have money set aside, I might as well bite the bullet.

Went to Metro and grabbed 3 gc's, went to cashier, told her please apply $100 to two of them and $50 to the other one. I also had two cans of juice (.88 cents each). She rang it all in, scanned my AM's card and asked if I wanted to redeem any of my AM cash points. She told me I had $110. I said sure, I could use $100, fully expecting her to say 'oh, sorry, can't do that on gc's'. In stead she rang it though and I paid for the other $150 with BMO MC.
Obviously she made an error with that but i didn't expect it to take. Yeah me!

Now, once I got into my car I realized that I had needed to pay for the $250 with my MC to meet my goal so out of the car I get and go purchase $100 more. Silly me!!

I've been a collector since 1998... and have earned 37,933 total over that time. I'm sure the majority is over the past couple years since I have not been Onyx very long. 7702 this year, most in February. Which I think is when Shop the block or Megamiles posted? Any way! I'll keep plugging along :) I set up a flight as my goal, to/from Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. I'm not sure what that will get me but it's nice to have a goal :)

I decided that I would go ahead and purchase $250 in Disney gift cards to complete my STB BMO MC offer for spend $700 get 100 miles. I had thought about it and wondered if it was really worth the bother for what equates to $5 in AM's but then thought, since I will be going anyways and have money set aside, I might as well bite the bullet.

Went to Metro and grabbed 3 gc's, went to cashier, told her please apply $100 to two of them and $50 to the other one. I also had two cans of juice (.88 cents each). She rang it all in, scanned my AM's card and asked if I wanted to redeem any of my AM cash points. She told me I had $110. I said sure, I could use $100, fully expecting her to say 'oh, sorry, can't do that on gc's'. In stead she rang it though and I paid for the other $150 with BMO MC.
Obviously she made an error with that but i didn't expect it to take. Yeah me!

Now, once I got into my car I realized that I had needed to pay for the $250 with my MC to meet my goal so out of the car I get and go purchase $100 more. Silly me!!

Ah hon so sorry,,,I kind of made the same mistake...
I got a spend $350.00 by Dec 27th at Sobeys from BMO and get 220 Airmiles so I did but forgot to hit the Opt in button ........................................:( I'd already done the shop and spent $350.00 in Gift Cards.

So a few days I got a someone to rent my studio at Old Key West for Jan. because I can't go....
I took the funds deposited them into the bank and went to Sobeys this morning and made the $350.00 Disney Gift Cards (saving for next years DVC Dues) spend using my BMO Mastercard. Whew!!!
The things we do for Airmiles.
Hugs to you
Mel

Last edited:
We've come a long way together​

You've been a Collector since 1998 and collected a grand total of​

103125 Miles*​
Of those Miles, 67436 were Dream Miles
and 35689 were Cash Miles.
**Almost enough to buy that Smeg refrigerator**lol.
Now Airmiles where are the 1 Airmiles special deals we Onyx collectors used to get?
I haven't seen one in awhile,,and all the Perks seem to be gone toooo!

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
I’ve been a collector since 1994 and have collected 122,894 AM in that time.
That’s covered flights for 4 trips to Disneyland (including upcoming 2020 trip) and 2 trips to Toronto (we’re in BC), a couple of car rentals, most of our Disneyland tickets for the above 4 trips and many hotel stays.

I’ve definitely gotten better at collecting the last few years following this board thanks to all of you. My “last 30 days” right now is over 2000 AM. This is the first year I held off on online shopping for the Black Friday week multipliers, made a big difference especially while also working the Safeway bonuses and the STB offers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter