Airmiles Armchair Chatter

So is mine, just from reading it all! LOL Thanks to you and everyone else for breaking it all down for us!

I think I have a plan. It's so easy to get miles at dollarma - we are in walking distance to one and pop by there often to grab this or that. I have optimum points to use so I will do the "pay for groceries with my points, use my grocery $ for disney gift card" plan and get them at dollarama instead of the grocery store when I redeem my points.
If I'm understanding what you are proposing, you are going to take the money not used for groceries and buy the Disney gift cards, is that correct? With Dollarama you need to make the purchase with a linked Mastercard so paying with cash would not work.
You may mean exactly that and I'm reading it wrong but I thought I would clarify just in case.
Happy shopping!

:worship:Woah! My head hurts just listening to y'all. I will do the spend 10 today, but won't be able to use the others until after Labour Day-unless I hit up a Dollarama while we are cruising (not happening). 8-) On your transaction list, how does the Dollarama shop show? I'm trying to confirm that my shop on August 8 was added.

If I'm understanding what you are proposing, you are going to take the money not used for groceries and buy the Disney gift cards, is that correct? With Dollarama you need to make the purchase with a linked Mastercard so paying with cash would not work.
You may mean exactly that and I'm reading it wrong but I thought I would clarify just in case.
Happy shopping!
Yes sorry, actually I don't use cash for much. Lol I would use my optimum to pay for my groceries. Then put the GCs on my MC. Then transfer the $ from my bank (that I didn't need to use for groceries) to the MC to pay it.

I am going to do the Dollarama $30 GC x 30 = 300 and then DH is going to FILL his work van on Friday before he goes on vacation for the week. That should be about 3 or 4 miles x 30. Then I will need to fill up at Shell so another 30 miles there. I won't have any problem making the 500 miles maximum. Woohoo! That 500 plus my monthly BMO miles on the 25th should put me over 15,000 miles.

Edit to add: Going to get gas for both DH and I at Irving instead of Shell. On Fri-Sun, I have 10x miles at Irving and 5 cents off per litre! So that will be:

4x30=120 + 4x10=40 (160) for DH
1x30=30 + 1x10=10 (40) for me

Last edited:
is anyone else trying to link and unlink 2 different airmiles cards to ONE Mastercard? I'm trying to do that but it's looking like there needs to be some time between doing that - I've made several transactions but only seen postings to one of the cards. Seems to be taking about 3-4 days between shopping and posting for me.
I'd like to get this settled before next weekend

is anyone else trying to link and unlink 2 different airmiles cards to ONE Mastercard? I'm trying to do that but it's looking like there needs to be some time between doing that - I've made several transactions but only seen postings to one of the cards. Seems to be taking about 3-4 days between shopping and posting for me.
I'd like to get this settled before next weekend
My worry about that is, does it have to be linked to the MC at time of posting? That could be an issue.
What do you feel about this? Would the AMs post if the number isn't attached to the MC on posting date?

My worry about that is, does it have to be linked to the MC at time of posting? That could be an issue.
What do you feel about this? Would the AMs post if the number isn't attached to the MC on posting date?
excellent point! I've decided to only use the main card next weekend and buy 2 $50 disney gift cards to make sure that i don't screw it up - that will net me a 520 miles plus the extra 20 for 5 miles/ $25 and I'm happy with that!

I bought $500 in GCs from Metro mid June, which I believe was the first month. I received the regular 3xs AMs on June 15th. The bonus 2xs AMs posted on June 21st, it showed as BMO SUMER 5X MILES. Bought more in July, Miles posted July 15th with the bonus 2xs posting on the 17th. Haven't bought more as yet from Metro.

All my GC purchases are showing as BMO, not Metro.

I have no idea how to cut and paste from the AMs page or I would send a copy. Hope this might help you though.
I have nothing extra from BMO outside of my normal monthly miles. I’ve been using my BMO at Shell too.

excellent point! I've decided to only use the main card next weekend and buy 2 $50 disney gift cards to make sure that i don't screw it up - that will net me a 520 miles plus the extra 20 for 5 miles/ $25 and I'm happy with that!
wait wait............................
my brain just did a jump slam......this is at Metro right NOT Dollarama.
LOl

my head is hurting from this confusion! I guess in the grand scheme of things and using the big picture idea, it might not be worth the hassle. Did you at least get the regular miles you should get from buying the gift cards at a partner store? I'm not keen on buying a huge amount of gift cards at dollarama and/ or metro for that matter if i end up not getting the miles i was hoping for. 500 miles is equal to about $50, i think I've wasted close to 2 hours on this frustration!!
I did get the usual miles on my BMO statement. I bought the cards because we were going to be spending at least that much while we were in the World. I figured that I was earning more miles than if I just paid with my CC while away. If I don’t get they bonus miles at some point then I would have been better off using my Amex.

On the subject of Amex…what have those of us that have one decided to do come September? I know that my membership is due in either January or March so I have a bit of time to figure out what to do. I’ve got a few things swirling through the brain. Keep the Cobalt card until the membership fee is due transferring the miles (or whatever they call them) over to Aeroplan and then cancel the card….or keep it, IDK. Also thinking about upgrading the BMO and making that my main card. Then there is the Aeroplan card I just got which I had planned to cancel after making the bonus points but I could keep that except they gave me a crazy low limit which I would have to address. I can easily make the annual fee back just in free checked bags on that one.

wait wait............................
my brain just did a jump slam......this is at Metro right NOT Dollarama.
LOl
I'm thinking that I might need to turn the first post into a reference for all of the MasterCard offers to help us keep track of what's going on!

For the basic no-fee card at the moment:
If you buy a $50 gift card at Metro you will get ZERO base miles but since they're a partner store you will get 3 miles for every $25 you spend, that's on anything so 6 miles.

If you buy a $50 gift card at Dollarama you will get 10 base miles (the card-link offer, spend $30 get 10 miles)
Also an offer running right now to get 5 miles for every $25 so that's another 10 miles (these are not base!)

NEXT weekend for the 30X event thingy if you buy a $50 gift card:
Metro: since it's only on base miles, you will still only get 6 miles
Dollarama: you will get 300 miles (10 base miles * 30), 10 for the 5X thing

**I'm going for the $50 card so the usual poor kid that runs the till at our closest store doesn't need to figure out how to load a card with a different dollar amount. I need to make our reservations soon and I'll need waaay more than $100 but it's a good start!

Here's how my most recent MasterCard bill posted to my account - I'm not exactly sure what the summer promo thing is- so many things to mess my brain up but thought others might like to see how it appears. I know the 3x is from either Shell or Metro and the 2x comes from Zehrs (I was too tired to crop out my metro miles!!)
1692587096601.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter