• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I wondered that too....but confirmed that nope once booked it's yours unless you bought cancellation insurance and even then there are a bunch of rules attached. I could have walked away but would have lost my $500 deposit.

The agent called me first thing this morning and said she had already looked it up to see what the prices were(she was shocked too) and had called Transat. She explained the options that Transat had offered her....none all that great for me. She had sent a formal price match request to Transat head office with an explanation that AC had dropped only a few hours after I had booked and that I was a repeat customer. I told her that if they didn't want to match it and reduce my balance I would be happy with some sort of upgraded room or vouchers for future travel. So now we wait for the call back from Transat.

I honestly thought I was SOL.....but NO!!!! they have discounted me $520 because the price dropped another $20 this afternoon.:banana:

I am so happy for you!
Hugs Mel

I went Christmas shopping with my daughter a few weeks ago. I came home with pretty much nothing. She’s lovely but like a moth to a flame. She just drags me around pointing things out and asking me to hold her stuff while she tries things on and talks a mile a minute. It’s cute, but not when you are trying to concentrate. Daughters and shopping don’t mix. :rolleyes2

I agree and sons and shopping also don't mix,,my middle son just offered to go to Rexall with me tomorrow....."ah it's ok Hon I'll be fine on my own".
Hugs Mel

I wondered that too....but confirmed that nope once booked it's yours unless you bought cancellation insurance and even then there are a bunch of rules attached. I could have walked away but would have lost my $500 deposit.

The agent called me first thing this morning and said she had already looked it up to see what the prices were(she was shocked too) and had called Transat. She explained the options that Transat had offered her....none all that great for me. She had sent a formal price match request to Transat head office with an explanation that AC had dropped only a few hours after I had booked and that I was a repeat customer. I told her that if they didn't want to match it and reduce my balance I would be happy with some sort of upgraded room or vouchers for future travel. So now we wait for the call back from Transat.

I honestly thought I was SOL.....but NO!!!! they have discounted me $520 because the price dropped another $20 this afternoon.:banana:
That’s fantastic! Where are you going?

Darn it! Sobey's Ontario flyer says purchase a $50 The Keg gift card and receive 25 miles.

I purchased a $25 card *yesterday*. (wry grin) I would have picked up a $50 one for the 25 miles since we're eating there with friends Saturday night. (I already have one $50 gc at home)

<sigh> I am so annoyed.

I don't often shop at Rexall, because there's just not that much they have (at prices I'm willing to pay) that I frequently need. I've posted about it before. But once in awhile I am tempted by an offer. Tonight there were several things I actually *needed*, so I decided to take advantage of the $50/110 offer, plus I had a $30/60 Load and Go.

I did the mental math while I was shopping, and my order should have been around $55, pre-tax. I should have noticed something was up at the cash register, but I was distracted by something, and didn't realize until after I walked away that the $53 total (after tax!) didn't sound right. Sure enough, the toothbrush that was supposed to be $7.99 rang in at $4.99. The first aid products that were supposed to total $11 must have been on sale; they came out around $9. My two Dairy Milk bars both rang in at lower prices than they should have ($1.70 together), and one of them didn't seem to count as "Dairy Milk", despite clearly being labelled "Dairy Milk" (of the correct size). And another item was $0.80 cheaper than it should have been.

So my pre-tax total was $48.27.

I missed on the $50 / 110 offer.
I missed on a "spend $10 on oral care" LnG thanks to the toothbrush (I think that was 8 miles).
I missed on a "buy 2 Cadbury Dairy Milk" LnG for no good reason (that was 5 or 8, can't remember offhand).

And the worst thing is that I forgot to buy something that I specifically wanted, that would have easily put me over the $50 threshold. :furious:

It wasn't a total loss. I did get the threshold LnG, plus one other LnG offer. So 66 miles. And I guess I should be glad that my stuff was cheaper than expected!

I know that Rexall is a great thing for many of you, and I am glad for that! I have no idea how so many of you manage purchases within a dollar or two of the threshold, when so many of the items in the store are mis-priced on the shelves. Kudos to those of you who do that successfully. Clearly I suck at it, and I will remember this the next time I am tempted by a Rexall Air Miles offer.

I just received an e-mail from Air Miles saying a $50 in-store Staples purchase will give you 50 bonus air miles. Valid until December 24th.

What it does not say is WHEN it started! I spent $75 there yesterday on printer ink... I needed the printer ink yesterday and used the STB coupon. Sure hope I get that extra 50 miles. (sigh)

Back from our extremely successful Rexall hunt (but almost not wanting to share after your terrible experience @mab2012 )
I had taken a very long time with my excel and had the 2 transactions ready so we just had to grab and buy and stopped dead in my tracks when i noticed the prices were different, by a LOT. Why vitamins in 2 Rexalls in the same city would be priced differently is beyond me but it required more math on the fly but i reminded hubby of the outcome (hammock on the beach at some point) and he plunked down on a chair with a pile of bottles and his phone.

Final tally : transaction 1 spent $60.22 and snagged 243 AM (LnG spend 60 get 100, email for 110 and 30 on the vitamins)
Transaction 2 pre-tax sale: $51.44 and snagged 140 (email for 110 and 30 for vitamins) and super bonus the cashier figured out how to let me use my $10 coupon from super-dee-dooper senior day (store downtown can't figure it out!)

*** hubby, daughter & her wife (living with us due to lousy landlord problems) were not 1 bit upset that we needed to add 6 chocolate covered marshmallow witches to bring the 2nd sale to the threshold :P

The most awesome brand new resort in Riviera Maya. It's call the Hotel Xcaret and it just opened on Dec. 1st.

Oh wow-I went to an eco park in Mexico called Xcaret many years ago and it was amazing. I wonder if this hotel is by there or in the area. If it is you have to go to the eco park. You basically float along this incredible natural waterway in life jackets, it is the coolest thing ever!

I just received an e-mail from Air Miles saying a $50 in-store Staples purchase will give you 50 bonus air miles. Valid until December 24th.

What it does not say is WHEN it started! I spent $75 there yesterday on printer ink... I needed the printer ink yesterday and used the STB coupon. Sure hope I get that extra 50 miles. (sigh)

I just got this coupon too, and unfortunately it says "Coupon must be provided/used at time of purchase" and also "Offer cannot be combined with any other coupon or AIR MILES Bonus Offer". So we couldn't have used it with the STB. (I also just bought printer ink in order to spend $75 in store for the STB!).

<sigh> I am so annoyed.

I don't often shop at Rexall, because there's just not that much they have (at prices I'm willing to pay) that I frequently need. I've posted about it before. But once in awhile I am tempted by an offer. Tonight there were several things I actually *needed*, so I decided to take advantage of the $50/110 offer, plus I had a $30/60 Load and Go.

I did the mental math while I was shopping, and my order should have been around $55, pre-tax. I should have noticed something was up at the cash register, but I was distracted by something, and didn't realize until after I walked away that the $53 total (after tax!) didn't sound right. Sure enough, the toothbrush that was supposed to be $7.99 rang in at $4.99. The first aid products that were supposed to total $11 must have been on sale; they came out around $9. My two Dairy Milk bars both rang in at lower prices than they should have ($1.70 together), and one of them didn't seem to count as "Dairy Milk", despite clearly being labelled "Dairy Milk" (of the correct size). And another item was $0.80 cheaper than it should have been.

So my pre-tax total was $48.27.

I missed on the $50 / 110 offer.
I missed on a "spend $10 on oral care" LnG thanks to the toothbrush (I think that was 8 miles).
I missed on a "buy 2 Cadbury Dairy Milk" LnG for no good reason (that was 5 or 8, can't remember offhand).

And the worst thing is that I forgot to buy something that I specifically wanted, that would have easily put me over the $50 threshold. :furious:

It wasn't a total loss. I did get the threshold LnG, plus one other LnG offer. So 66 miles. And I guess I should be glad that my stuff was cheaper than expected!

I know that Rexall is a great thing for many of you, and I am glad for that! I have no idea how so many of you manage purchases within a dollar or two of the threshold, when so many of the items in the store are mis-priced on the shelves. Kudos to those of you who do that successfully. Clearly I suck at it, and I will remember this the next time I am tempted by a Rexall Air Miles offer.

Hi Hon
This has happened to me and I am sorry it happened to you.
I actually tell the cashier before we start that my GOAL is to spend x number of dollars to qualify for an airmiles coupon. I have been known to ask her to "suspend" the order while I go back to pick up something to meet the cash requirement. I also will add a package of gum/chips to the order. Once I actually returned everything (yes my sons were shopping with me and I was extremely distracted) and then redid the order. Funny after I did this the cashiers are always so helpful to carefully ring in my order now.
The other thing I do is try very hard not to feel rushed by the cashier ,which is sometimes very hard.
I will always go with a list in hand with estimates
like tomorrow I am buying 12 bottles of laundry soap
12x 3.99= $47.88 before tax
Tooth brushes are on sale (colgate) .99 cents each =$3.96
if I buy 4 of them my load and Go will give me an extra 10 airmiles.

So $47.88
+ 3.96
-----------------
51.84 total before tax

Before handing over your airmiles card to be scanned say "Where am I before Tax"? to the cashier.

Best Regards and Hugs Mel

P.S
my staples to stock pile from Rexall usually are things that are on sale
and I buy them in multiplies
toilet paper
paper towels
kleenex
laundry soap
lysol wipes
bleach
lysol bathroom cleaner
unscented Bounce

Last edited:
I did Rexall today too. I had spend $40 get 80 load and go offer + the spend $50 get 110 coupon. I also used the $5 off $25+ coupon. In the end I spent $55 and got 203AM!

I too am upset that their prices are so bad. I know I need Tide pods etc. and a few other things but when you unpack your stuff when you get home and think "THIS cost me $50?" it's pretty sad.

Also every body wash they had was $9 or more... even the ones on sale from the current flyer. Seems like the Barrhaven Cresthaven store NEVER has pricing properly shown!

I only shop at Rexall on Tuesday for Senior's Day and if my coupons add up to over 200 AM. Senior's Day gets me 20% off and the 200 AM is worth $20. Otherwise, the value just isn't there.

Oh wow-I went to an eco park in Mexico called Xcaret many years ago and it was amazing. I wonder if this hotel is by there or in the area. If it is you have to go to the eco park. You basically float along this incredible natural waterway in life jackets, it is the coolest thing ever!
Yes, there is an affiliation. The Xcaret area is being developed into a destination all on its own. 12 year plan for hotels, convention facilities etc. We will have unlimited access to all of the Xcaret parks/excursions ....there are 8 in total. It’s going to be really hard to only choose 2 or 3. We want lots of down time at the pool with cocktails. I wanted to book more than a 7 day package but it was just too expensive. I think 10 day’s was $4000+ per person.

Google the resort it’s stunning but also really interesting how they built around the landscape.

The most awesome brand new resort in Riviera Maya. It's call the Hotel Xcaret and it just opened on Dec. 1st.
We stayed at the Occidental Excaret several years ago and it was amazing. It was right beside the Excaret eco park, actually had a river boat system that ran from the middle of the hotel right into the park.
You will love the area and the park is something quite a site to see. Have fun!

I just got this coupon too, and unfortunately it says "Coupon must be provided/used at time of purchase" and also "Offer cannot be combined with any other coupon or AIR MILES Bonus Offer". So we couldn't have used it with the STB. (I also just bought printer ink in order to spend $75 in store for the STB!).

Ahh, thanks. I didn't realize it was a coupon to be used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter