Airmiles Armchair Chatter

DISCLAIMER--Not trying to start a panic, just something I heard.

I was just checking out at Costco and was talking with the cashier. He told me they were waiting for an announcement at 1 o'clock today to let the know if they will be closing due to the coronavirus. Apparently there will also be a PM/government announcement about closures as well. If you need anything you should maybe pick it up now.
I was at Loblaws and Costco, both were insane, so if you do go out pack your patience.

The Ontario government is holding a presser right now with exactly opposite news - major retailers will not be shutting down.

I was just checking out at Costco and was talking with the cashier. He told me they were waiting for an announcement at 1 o'clock today to let the know if they will be closing due to the coronavirus. Apparently there will also be a PM/government announcement about closures as well. If you need anything you should maybe pick it up now.
I was at Loblaws and Costco, both were insane, so if you do go out pack your patience.

The Ontario government is holding a presser right now with exactly opposite news - major retailers will not be shutting down.
Well that's good news. Keep in mind, I was only reporting what I was told. I think retailers decide for themselves if they are staying open or closed but with Costco having a pharmacy I'm not sure how that would work out. My granddaughters birthday is coming up in ten days and she wanted to have a bday dinner at Mandarin but I received an email this morning that they are closing for an undetermined period of time. She'll deal with it I'm sure.

Well I needed to get my butt in gear and get gas so this just gave me the kick I needed.
Kind of hard to hear frontline info and not know whether to pass it along, Thanks Hon.
Hugs
Mel

I hope everyone her who CAN is working from home starting today. I started Friday and haven’t left the house since I came home on Thurs. I’m lucky I can work from home and still be paid, I’m sorry for anyone who cannot but EI can be claimed after 1 week now I believe to help with this.

Yes i am in the boat of not even doing the MM this time

Not going to go out of my way but I may be able to do 3 offers depending what they turn out to be.
Normally we get our gas in the US but not crossing the border these days so I opted in for the Shell offer. We’ll need groceries so I’ll do the Safeway then perhaps between those I would get the BMO (usually threshold spend).

So I’m not sure I understand the MM.
is it posted what and where to get mikes?
when does it start?
trying to figure out a plan

So I’m not sure I understand the MM.
is it posted what and where to get mikes?
when does it start?
trying to figure out a plan
I started the thread for Mega Miles last week and even if i don't personally attempt to complete the promo I WILL be maintain both of these treads since they are a concrete thing i can do to focus my spiraling brain! It is supposed to start on Thursday March 19th but I'm not holding my breath on that, but keep an eye open over there and here and I'll update with anything i hear or read (that i can confirm with direct links or screen shots)

MEGA MILES THREAD

We were on a cruise last week. Overnighted the night before at All Star Sports....first visit. I missed my POFQ. DH and I are self-isolating so DD (learning to drive) drove around yesterday and did the necessary grocery shopping, leaving me in the car. She got to get gas for the first time, although it was a full-service station. Price at the pumps 89.8L I think. I had a 7¢ coupon from Foodland a while ago AND there was the March deal of 3¢ off. So....79¢L gas. Woohoo!

I just wanted to add one thing before the thread becomes a sort of 'Corona-Free' escape zone....

I don't post on here that often anymore but still read it and am still an avid AirMiles geek. I worked in the food industry for many years, first on the supply side at Kraft Canada, then on the retail side at Sobeys (Sobeys, Foodland, Lawtons etc). I helped integrate Thrifty Foods and I was one of the key people behind the whole loyalty points business. So I know the industry very very well. I want you to know that you should not worry about the store shelves being empty right now. Supply chains are vast and have thought of every contingency to source goods. Supply issues are extremely common such as bad weather killing oranges in Brazil or disease hitting coffee beans. Buying agents are experts in sourcing alternatives. What we have right now isn't a supply issue, its a demand issue. But people's fridges and freezers and shelves are likely busting to capacity right now. You may see shortages of a few items like sanitizers because we have outstripped manufacturing capabilities for a certain time period. But the good thing about capitalism is that it is extremely good at filling supply-demand gaps. The world grows so much produce that quite a bit rots in the field hoping to be sold to retailers. We may see some issues it transporting fresh produce out of Mexico/South America through California where the business generally flows but if say oranges become difficult to source, you will likely see stores flooded with a substitute like blueberries. The really good thing about consolidation in the grocery industry in Canada is that you generally have the big 3 (Loblaws, Sobeys, Metro) so they have huge buying power which means they buy huge volume and get priority with produce brokers out there.

So don't panic, have faith that what you see is temporary, and that people behind the scenes are working hard to keep things going (just like you likely are in whatever industry you work in). We probably won't see a Blue Friday for a while only because it encourages hording, but not because the stores wouldn't be capable.

If @Donald - my hero is in agreement, we should keep this thread away from the virus discussions and keep it as Air Miles only. There are already a few threads about it on the forum.

I like coming here to discuss my big scores or big busts on the collecting front (more of the latter!) and get my mind off it for a while.

Thoughts?

I've given some serious thought to the suggestion to keep the COVID-19 chatter out of this thread and that just feels wrong to me at this point. I feel this group has become a subset of the Canadian forum and we have grown close to each other over the past 4.5 years, sharing stories and glimpses into each others lives. It feels like a family to me and to restrict what we chat about to something that might very soon become a very difficult thing to do sort of hurts my heart. I think we've all found the 2 threads that seem to be the hub for COVID-19 and if things go too deeply into that subject here I'll gently remind us.

I
don't think any of us will be wanting to devote a ton of time shopping & if we're realistic, this will get worst before it gets better and even if there are things like a one-day coupon offer at Rexall or Blue Friday pop up in the next few weeks that none of the stores will fully stocked! Hubby and I have already agreed that our discretionary spending is on hold. He has tons of work to do in his dungeon on his development but our bread & butter comes from the training and everything has been cancelled up thru May at this point.

I'd be interested to hear how everyone is doing with stocking up and how you're seeing your stores keeping up with the demand? I went to NoFrills yesterday and found that the shelf with my tuna was FULL again. I took 6 cans and left the rest because obviously I'm not the only person who needs it. We'll be heading to Metro later today to get more milk so we can earn another 25 miles. YES, milk is fine so far -- 5 days into my 14 day trial and things seem to be going smoothly. Hopefully they'll have some in stock today (our Metro is terrible at the best of times keeping the dairy section properly stocked!!)

I went to NoFrills yesterday and found that the shelf with my tuna was FULL again. I took 6 cans and left the rest because obviously I'm not the only person who needs it. We'll be heading to Metro later today to get more milk so we can earn another 25 miles. YES, milk is fine so far -- 5 days into my 14 day trial and things seem to be going smoothly. Hopefully they'll have some in stock today (our Metro is terrible at the best of times keeping the dairy section properly stocked!!)
Yea for getting your tuna and being able to drink milk. I have 2 full bags of milk and I even bought the Carnation milk for a backup as I have to save the regular milk for my nephew to drink. (he lives in my basement) I also have powdered milk that I use for my bread machine so could also use that for my tea.
I went to M&M's yesterday and the chicken items were pretty picked over. The Manager even said that she re-ordered a bunch of stuff and her order was cut back 75%. We got a few frozen items for my Mom to keep. I am a very lucky girl because I have a upright freezer and 2 fridges in my house as I used to have a basement apartment so I have lots of fridge space.
Yesterday I went to Sobeys and they had no cartons of eggs but I have 18 at home so I just bought a bag or 2 of the already hard boiled ones. The milk and cream had been restocked since I had been there on Saturday night so they are doing what they can. I never checked for TP because I don't need any so why buy it?
My brother has to go pickup his prescriptions today in the city so he will get my Mom and bring her over for St Paddys day dinner. I may or may not go out today to go to Dollarama to pick up some outside games so I can get out and play.
But on a funny note did anybody see the video of the Chicago Aquarium where they let the penguins loose to visit the other exhibits (staff present of course). They are waddling around looking in all the windows.

I just wanted to add one thing before the thread becomes a sort of 'Corona-Free' escape zone....

I don't post on here that often anymore but still read it and am still an avid AirMiles geek. I worked in the food industry for many years, first on the supply side at Kraft Canada, then on the retail side at Sobeys (Sobeys, Foodland, Lawtons etc). I helped integrate Thrifty Foods and I was one of the key people behind the whole loyalty points business. So I know the industry very very well. I want you to know that you should not worry about the store shelves being empty right now.

You are amazing-thanks for posting!

Tuesday is generally a good day to go and get groceries. Two of my go to grocery stores get overnight deliveries on Monday.

I agree with trying to keep the thread "mostly" on topic but we have veered off it from time to time.

While I don't have any room in my freezer for a Blue Friday and I'm not sure how I could possibly complete Mega Miles, we can have a great virtual discussion about the offers when they are released on Thursday.

Tomorrow is Wednesday and we can still review the flyers and report on deals even if we can't get out of the house to get them. No reason our usual AM week can't continue.

We have become a great community of support for each other if your post is about AM and some Covid concerns pop into it I'm Ok with that. Main doom and gloom should be left to the Covid threads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter