Airmiles Armchair Chatter

I am going to Lawtons this morning for $35/75...Thank goodness not many people go there, so I should in and out in a jiffy. Have to get gas at Shell too, but I will do that last. I am going to only get 3 of the 4 v-power fill ups for March sadly. DH messed up the other week and bought Bronze by mistake :(

So I went to get some McDonalds (I know, but it's been ages and kiddo has been begging for hashbrowns). Saw gas it at 68 cents... I haven't seen it that low in like 20 years! It's so sad my car is pretty much full since I don't drive anywhere at the moment. I may try and squeeze in a 25L fill up tomorrow at Shell when I'm out at Metro to get a third one for the month. Not sure there's enough room in the tank for it though! But wow that price...

Confession time. I read the IGA (Quebec) flyer and they have Flamingo chicken buy 4 @7.99 get 100AM on this weekend.

The mayors of the two cities on either side of the Ottawa/Gatineau border both requested that people not cross the border to minimize the spread of Covid.

I thought about going for a few seconds and then the greater good won out. That and my son told me to forget about AM until this is over. :( I hate to miss a good deal during a drought but these are definitely are unique times.

Confession time. I read the IGA (Quebec) flyer and they have Flamingo chicken buy 4 @7.99 get 100AM on this weekend.

The mayors of the two cities on either side of the Ottawa/Gatineau border both requested that people not cross the border to minimize the spread of Covid.

I thought about going for a few seconds and then the greater good won out. That and my son told me to forget about AM until this is over. :( I hate to miss a good deal during a drought but these are definitely are unique times.
Good on you, AM are only good if your around to use them with your loved ones.

I’ve tried to stop looking at flyers for this exact reason! I’m sure I’m missing out on deals.

My wife is the best at flipping the narrative, though, and I’ll try to channel her! Instead of thinking about the miles you’re missing out on, think about how you can use the time you would have put to getting the chicken. And if you have the funds, you could always transfer 10$ or the cost of the chicken to a savings account for something special?

another family that's not paying much attention to flyers right now, REEBEE has become my best friend. The bottom line is paramount right now and since i only have 7 things i can safely eat I'll be buying them from the cheapest store! That means potentially more contact spots for me but I'm on a mission when i go out, head right to the correct spot in the store, no wandering around, grab what i need and head to the self-check out. And YES i said SEVEN things!! Milk passed the 2 week test and today is day 3 of wheat, fingers crossed.

IN 2 hours we'll be heading to get a "Contactless Curbside Pickup" at Staples. My Surface decided to die on my around 2 am Monday -- like just threw in the towel and won't turn on :( Hubby really loves me, discovered the newest model is on sale today and tomorrow only and told me to get my butt out of bed and order it for myself!!! Poof, thru the online portal and that should let me snag 78 miles PLUS the bonus 50 for the current online promo. Not bad all things considered

Just a heads up we got our Instacart yesterday. I live in Kanata and we ordered from RCSS - the shopper was there from about 9:05-9:20 shopping, and we had our order before 9:40! I was relieved it worked well after someone on here saying people are waiting days for their orders! I signed up for the monthly plan so will keep using it during this crazy time, to avoid being an extra person putting their germs in the grocery store!

I'll be going to Metro today, into the store. Funny thing is my offers are for things like "spend $5 on produce" and "spend $5 on meat" so I think I'll be able to get a few airmiles along the way, though I am not shopping for them. I chose Metro because we are out of kiddos mac & cheese, they have it on sale, and a limit of 4. So hopefully they will have some! Four won't last as long as I'd like, but it's something...

I went to Metro and wow were there a lot of empty shelves! I wanted to get WW bread and I couldn't find it so ended up with regular stuff, at least they had some! Got the last 1% 2L milk on the shelf that was on sale. Everything was so expensive... not sure if that's normal and I usually just buy stuff on sale or what. Lady in the meat department taking her time in front of everything... so I had to wait a while to get a chicken. Any way. Hopefully I don't have to go out again for a bit... but that Rexall is tempting since I do need Claritin and maybe they will have it (or even the generic) in stock? That'll get me to $50 in a quick way.

The having to bag your own groceries at Metro was kind of strange, at least at places like Freshco they are set up for it, but there simply wasn't space to really do a good job and be quick at it. Any way, we have milk, rice crispies, bread and mac&cheese for the boy so I guess we're good! Also the chicken and some very expensive ground beef.

Yes, the Rexall offer is tempting. I did a big shop for myself and my mom on Tuesday, hoping to stay home for at least a week. I am glad that I kept buying TP on Sobeys’ Blue Fridays and stocked up a bit from that. I am in need of hand sanitizer though. Couldn’t find it anywhere except in a Korean store but the price was too expensive to accept. I hope Rexall has some as stated in their recent email.

Last edited:
I ventured out for my first grocery shop in 2 weeks. I ended up getting more pantry stuff than I intended, but it’ll all get used.

Lots of stuff was still out of stock, like soap. There were limits on eggs, paper products, and bottled water.

My best score: yeast! My store had clearly just gotten a couple cases, all fresh on the shelf, so I grabbed a couple jars. I love to bake, so it’s partly for food and partly for entertainment.

Went to IGA for the Flamingo offer (4 boxes for 100AM). I was hoping to have a little grocery week (i.e. around 150$) but ended up spending 315$ for a 3rd week in a row over 300$ for grocery! :( Usually, we do a big 250-300$ grocery followed by a small one (150$) but I guess with 4 people in the house and me refusing to do more than 1 stop for grocery per week, it's not that surprising. Just expensive. At least we are lucky to still be both employed and I did buy lots of produce, some quality meat (antibiotic-free) and vegan products for DH (fake cheese, tofu spread, etc.). Still no bread flour and instant yeast (no yeast at all) but did buy 2x6eggs (no bigger packs).

Went to IGA for the Flamingo offer (4 boxes for 100AM). I was hoping to have a little grocery week (i.e. around 150$) but ended up spending 315$ for a 3rd week in a row over 300$ for grocery! :( Usually, we do a big 250-300$ grocery followed by a small one (150$) but I guess with 4 people in the house and me refusing to do more than 1 stop for grocery per week, it's not that surprising. Just expensive. At least we are lucky to still be both employed and I did buy lots of produce, some quality meat (antibiotic-free) and vegan products for DH (fake cheese, tofu spread, etc.). Still no bread flour and instant yeast (no yeast at all) but did buy 2x6eggs (no bigger packs).
So the way I look at it. Our grocery bill might have gone up a bit, but our dine out bill is 0. Plus now I know everything we are putting in us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter