Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Mine is 95 but not sure i will be able to use it. No Sobeys and Foodland is a bit of a drive so it may not be worth it. Oh well, no biggy.

Okay, so I had a short haul flight to Toronto that I booked through AM's leaving Oct. 23, returning Nov. 7th. Air Canada discontinued that route so I called AM's a few weeks ago to get a refund and got the story about needing to take a credit for future flights with a 24 month expiry. Wasn't happy but what can you do. I decided to wait it out for a bit and today AM's sent me an email about getting a full refund on this flight.
I just called and now have the AMs back in my account with a credit for taxes and fees being reversed onto the credit card they were taken from.
I'm so happy with this outcome. I already have a credit with Air Transat so I didn't need more with another airline.
If there is anyone else that has a flight they are looking for a refund on maybe try calling. Not sure if this is only with Air Canada but it could be worth your time.

So I to got that offer from Sobeys today as well and mine was spend almost anything get 25 airmiles. I didn't get it on my shop this morning but it did get my regular spend $125 get 30 so I thought oh well it is good for 2 weeks so I won't call. Well when I was checking my bill at home I noticed that 3 of my items were not the price that I saw in the store so I walked back to the store to get my money back and my bonus airmiles from 2 of the products. It ended up that somebody had forgotten to take the tags down from last weeks ad so I got them at that price. The good deal out of this was that she refunded the wrong price and put in the correct price, gave me my bonus 10 air miles and low and behold the bonus 25 airmiles showed up on my bill so I don't have to worry about going soon to get them.

Okay, so I had a short haul flight to Toronto that I booked through AM's leaving Oct. 23, returning Nov. 7th. Air Canada discontinued that route so I called AM's a few weeks ago to get a refund and got the story about needing to take a credit for future flights with a 24 month expiry. Wasn't happy but what can you do. I decided to wait it out for a bit and today AM's sent me an email about getting a full refund on this flight.
I just called and now have the AMs back in my account with a credit for taxes and fees being reversed onto the credit card they were taken from.
I'm so happy with this outcome. I already have a credit with Air Transat so I didn't need more with another airline.
If there is anyone else that has a flight they are looking for a refund on maybe try calling. Not sure if this is only with Air Canada but it could be worth your time.
Did you have trip insurance on those flights? If not I'm going to call them for sure.

Well I'm not sure what's going to happen now, apparently some Sobeys are being "rebranded" as Farm Boy. Including the one I shop at (on Greenbank in Barrhaven). This will suck for getting airmiles. Link

So strange too because there is a Farm Boy in Barrhaven already (though it's parking lot sucks).

Well I'm not sure what's going to happen now, apparently some Sobeys are being "rebranded" as Farm Boy. Including the one I shop at (on Greenbank in Barrhaven). This will suck for getting airmiles. Link

So strange too because there is a Farm Boy in Barrhaven already (though it's parking lot sucks).

So does rebranding mean they would no longer be part of the Airmiles program?

Hmmmmm.....

Hugs
Mel

So does rebranding mean they would no longer be part of the Airmiles program?

Hmmmmm.....

Hugs
Mel

That's what I am guessing, it will be a Farm Boy instead of a Sobeys. Farm Boy doesn't give airmiles. Also a little sad they'll be closed from Fall through the new year. I shop there a lot, I guess Metro will be it for awhile. I have no desire to drive that far to get to a Sobeys.

While I like the quality of meat products I get at Metro it would not be enough to keep me collecting Airmiles were Sobeys to leave the program.

It has been hard enough without Rexall (Pharmacy). 60% of my Airmiles came from Rexall shops.
Sobeys makes up the other 40%.

We have been shopping more and more at Loblaws and No Frills, Great Canadian Superstore , Shoppers Drug Mart and Esso lately.
I even have a Fortinos in my neighbourhood that I can get PC points at.

I have to drive to another City to get to Foodland.

The rate of acquiring PC points is much higher for me having so many options for shopping.
I must admit having the points in my account before I even get home from a shop is pretty darn great too!

I guess time will tell.

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
From what I can see that we have in our PC points account, without even trying, it would be a lot easier to get more of these things. Too bad they don't exactly equal Disney $$$ unless we are saving money and loading Disney giftcards, which is risky for Canadians right now.

I’ve stopped buying gift cards. I opened a new savings account through my bank. The money I would put towards gift cards goes into my account. So when I redeem PC points, any checkout 51 cheques, that kind of thing.

I don’t want my money tied up in Disney cards right now. I’m still thinking of it as a travel budget, but who knows when/where it’ll take us!

NOOOOOO! That is the Sobeys I drive to to do my shopping. Oh well, DS is moving to Kanata in August so I guess I'll have to head to the store at Terry Fox and Hazeldean now. It's only a few km further.

I’ve stopped buying gift cards. I opened a new savings account through my bank. The money I would put towards gift cards goes into my account. So when I redeem PC points, any checkout 51 cheques, that kind of thing.

I don’t want my money tied up in Disney cards right now. I’m still thinking of it as a travel budget, but who knows when/where it’ll take us!
This has me thinking. I used to transfer money every 2 weeks into my US account. I would take cash on all my trips to the USA. Every time I would do it I would be thinking about the lost AM on my credit card but I'm much less likely to over spend when it's cash.....mind you I would always have a big splurge or 3 on the Amex anyway. I haven't put any money into my US account since I stopped working in March and now I don't know if I should. It seems like it's going to be a long time until I go back to the US and even then will I want to handle cash. Maybe a basic savings account is the better idea.

I've been doing this for a long while now. It has always made more sense to me. Yes, most of it went to Disney but I had a choice. I also could convert it to US when the rate was good and didn't have to worry about what rate I would get when I was finally able to use the gift cards.
At the moment I have a very large savings account, in both US and Canadian, just waiting to be used.

I've been doing this for a long while now. It has always made more sense to me. Yes, most of it went to Disney but I had a choice. I also could convert it to US when the rate was good and didn't have to worry about what rate I would get when I was finally able to use the gift cards.
At the moment I have a very large savings account, in both US and Canadian, just waiting to be used.

Im still redeeming for Disney gifts cards and will simply use them as my dvc dues if we don't feel confident in going in may. im pretty sure Christmas is out of the question at this point

I told kiddo that next time we do a "just Florida" trip (ie no cruise) we would probably do half Universal/SeaWorld and half Disney. He said he'd rather just do a longer time at Disney. So... I am going to have to keep saving! And hoping for a return to normal in a few summers. I'd like to go for 2 weeks with 10 day tickets and have a few days just to relax and enjoy the hotel, plus go to the water parks of course. AM for tickets, special events, hotel or flights would all be helpful. Hopefully even if Sobeys is gone for me, I'll still be able to collect enough. It hasn't been easy the past few months, I don't see that improving much in the next year, but I'll keep plugging away at it. One mile at a time. Bonuses like MegaMiles usually help a lot. But even they are less than they once were.

I do Shoppers points as well, I was planning to save up for something big electronic thing at Christmas, but perhaps I'll trade for giftcards instead.

Husband and I both have offers like that on our Sobeys accounts but we are not shopping in any stores! My mom might shop at Sobeys in store and use my card though lol!

Baby is due THIS month! Walmart Grocery Pickup only for us like for most of the pandemic so far. Which is sweet since the pricing is great & I can price match after I place my order :cutie:

Husband and I both have offers like that on our Sobeys accounts but we are not shopping in any stores! My mom might shop at Sobeys in store and use my card though lol!

Baby is due THIS month! Walmart Grocery Pickup only for us like for most of the pandemic so far. Which is sweet since the pricing is great & I can price match after I place my order :cutie:

So sooooon!
Thinking of you and sending Magical good wishes!!!
Hugs
Mel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter