Alamo vs Hertz

katallo

DIS Veteran
I read Hertz had issues last year with billing pratices. Hopefully that is resolved. Anyone at MCO had difficulty with long lines at pickup. We have Hertz Gold and Alamo Insider but for 13 days Hertz is 125.00 less expensive. Hoping MCO allows Hertz Gold members to go directly to garage. !25.00 is too much to ignosre for the same size car!

I've used Hertz for our last 3 trips and never had an issue with them. I'm using them again in May as they have the best price and yes, they allow you to go straight to the garage if you have your Hertz number attached to your reservation.

All the big companies are the same. There’s no company that has “billing issues” all the time. Choose the one with the best rate, and make sure you join their loyalty club and link your number to the reservation.

Thanks so much for the reponse!
I've used Hertz for our last 3 trips and never had an issue with them. I'm using them again in May as they have the best price and yes, they allow you to go straight to the garage if you have your Hertz number attached to your reservation.

I have used both and prefer Alamo. I like the Skip-the-Counter checkin and I also like the option to pick out the car that I want. Alamo is sometimes a bit more expensive ($30-$40) but it is worth it to me.

I am Hertz Gold and go straight to either the Gold Lane or the President’s Circle - whatever is next to my name on the board, pick my vehicle, and drive on out. I’ve rented from Hertz at MCO around 20 times in the last 3 years - both business and pleasure, and I’ve never had an issue with billing or availability. If you go to autoslash, you can usually find some good discount codes.

I'm in the same position, except I used carrentalsavers to get my hertz reservation. I have entered my Hertz # but I still need to stop by the counter - my guess is because of the codes used, including a visa code. I would rather rent from Alamo to skip the counter but its a $150 savings with Hertz. I'm keeping my Alamo reservation incase the Hertz line is really long. I'll cancel the other once I have a car.

I read Hertz had issues last year with billing pratices. Hopefully that is resolved. Anyone at MCO had difficulty with long lines at pickup. We have Hertz Gold and Alamo Insider but for 13 days Hertz is 125.00 less expensive. Hoping MCO allows Hertz Gold members to go directly to garage. !25.00 is too much to ignosre for the same size car!
Had nothing to do with billing practices. Had to do with two different computer systems that didn't talk to each other well and employees that were either stupid or not trained well. In almost all, like 98%+ of affected cases, the customer called in to extend their rental, the data got modified in the billing system but not the one that keeps track of the vehicles. Then an automated process would report the cars stolen if the second system didn't see the vehicle returned in 5 days. The local LEA, would then take the system generated stolen car report, do no investigation and get judges to rubber stamp an arrest warrant. Or license plate readers would see the car, see it was flagged as stolen and whoever was driving would be stopped. From there what happened was dependent on the jurisdiction, training and professionalism of the LEA.
Honestly I'd be much more worried about Avis charging for random fuel or Sixt charging for pre-existing damage than I would be he over Hertz.

I'm in the same position, except I used carrentalsavers to get my hertz reservation. I have entered my Hertz # but I still need to stop by the counter - my guess is because of the codes used, including a visa code. I would rather rent from Alamo to skip the counter but its a $150 savings with Hertz. I'm keeping my Alamo reservation incase the Hertz line is really long. I'll cancel the other once I have a car.
Do these companies have a penalty for canceling the same day? I thought I read that somewhere it had to be 24 hours(unless I read it wrong)

Do these companies have a penalty for canceling the same day? I thought I read that somewhere it had to be 24 hours(unless I read it wrong)
Depends on the company and the specific code used. I believe during the height of the car rental apocolypse some companies were putting out there cancellation fees.

I am Hertz Gold and go straight to either the Gold Lane or the President’s Circle - whatever is next to my name on the board, pick my vehicle, and drive on out. I’ve rented from Hertz at MCO around 20 times in the last 3 years - both business and pleasure, and I’ve never had an issue with billing or availability. If you go to autoslash, you can usually find some good discount codes.
We are renting from Hertz and have a gold card and all information is on the reservation. You mentioned a board with names on it. Would you explain this for me please.

We are renting from Hertz and have a gold card and all information is on the reservation. You mentioned a board with names on it. Would you explain this for me please.
When you walk up to the little hut in the garage there is a board with either first initial and last name or first name and last initial and either a spot number, aisle you can choose from or see desk. It looks like what the departures boards used to look like in airports. If it has a spot number you go there and your car is there. If it says Gold, Five Star or PC you go that aisle and pick any vehicle there. If it says see desk, you haven't been assigned a car because there is an issue and you should get in line at the hut to discuss.

When you walk up to the little hut in the garage there is a board with either first initial and last name or first name and last initial and either a spot number, aisle you can choose from or see desk. It looks like what the departures boards used to look like in airports. If it has a spot number you go there and your car is there. If it says Gold, Five Star or PC you go that aisle and pick any vehicle there. If it says see desk, you haven't been assigned a car because there is an issue and you should get in line at the hut to discuss.
Thank you so much.

Want to let you know. I contacted HERTZ. I also booked with carrentalsavers. My reservation comes up on the Hertz site as well as my Gold Card info. They said go to the garage with ID and license. I always take the confirmation as well. I'll post when I get back and let you know how it goes. In your case, it might have something to do with the VISA code.

Want to let you know. I contacted HERTZ. I also booked with carrentalsavers. My reservation comes up on the Hertz site as well as my Gold Card info. They said go to the garage with ID and license. I always take the confirmation as well. I'll post when I get back and let you know how it goes. In your case, it might have something to do with the VISA code.

I can pull up the reservation on Hertz's site and have entered my Gold Plus number. Interestingly, on the app, it says "service type: Gold". On the website, it says "service type: standard counter". Same reservation. I guess I'll see what happens next week when I travel.

When are you travelling? We leave next Tuesday and I booked with carrentalsavers as well. Our reservation is on the Hertz site and gold as well. Hopefully we can avoid the crowds inside the terminal.

Hertz went Bankrupt during Covid and all of the locations are now franchised. They killed all their loyalty programs as each location does not have to honor status (Former Presidents Circle) and a lot of the cars are out of previous Hertz Standards. I Rent cars3x a month for work travel and honestly, I have to say the best one out there is National. Also when you rent make sure you confirm that you have Plate Pass on your rental otherwise you will have to pay cash for the tolls

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter