Alaska Sailing in September - No Good?

CampbellzSoup

Son. Husband. Father.
Hey everyone I'm looking for a Disney Cruise that is leaving from Alaska on September 11 - 19, 2023Monday - Tuesday 8 days.
  • Dawes Glacier, Alaska
  • Skagway, Alaska
  • Juneau, Alaska
  • Sitka, Alaska
  • Ketchikan, Alaska
Is there any negatives to going on an Alaska cruise so late in the season? I'm eyeing this for next year...also it's a 8 day cruise!

That will be my third Disney Cruise booked for 2023 and I think I pushed my limit with that one lol - there's no pirate night on Alaska cruisers either correct?

We did Alaska from Sept 3-10, 2018. There were large animals (moose, bear), eagles, and killer whales in the area and around the ship. Ketchican was the only rainy day. All the other port days were sunny or overcast, but no rain. The shops were still open, and we picked up some tremendous small art pieces (carvings) for really good prices because it was the end of the season. Even on board the Wonder, they were really slashing the prices. Correct, no Pirate Night, but they did Frozen (no fireworks).

We did Alaska from Sept 3-10, 2018. There were large animals (moose, bear), eagles, and killer whales in the area and around the ship. Ketchican was the only rainy day. All the other port days were sunny or overcast, but no rain. The shops were still open, and we picked up some tremendous small art pieces (carvings) for really good prices because it was the end of the season. Even on board the Wonder, they were really slashing the prices.

I like a good deal! I just wanted to know if we would be missing out on anything! Last time we went to Alaska we were suppose to do the dogs via helicopter but it got rained out!

September is typically a bit colder and more likely to rain, but not necessarily all day rains. It is southeast Alaska... it rains.

On the positive side, it is during the school year so that reduces families with school age kids, so that may impact the boat not being as full, and potentially not drive up the prices quite as much. Correct there are not pirate nights on Alaska cruises.

An additional positive is that it is 8 days, and that it hits Sitka, which is certainly not a regular DCL stop. Having hit Sitka on my first Alaska cruise, I have missed not having that stop on more recent cruises.

If I did not have a child in school and could swing another Alaska cruise, this to me would be a great choice.

I like a good deal! I just wanted to know if we would be missing out on anything! Last time we went to Alaska we were suppose to do the dogs via helicopter but it got rained out!
It's always a 50-50 chance because the weather changes drastically in very little time. I don't recall if others at our table ( ah, the good old days of multiple couples at a table for 8) did helicopter/dog sled, but the whale watching/ Jeep trips for bear were good.

My son also turns 3 so now we can stash him away in the kids clubs too! Thank you all for everything!

Are the dog sleds still running during this time? Also do they have another theme night if they take away pirate night?

Well I have your attention you guys can you guys give me your most look coward to excursions when you go to Alaska I’m pretty sure I’m not gonna get my husband to do the sled dogs because he found it last time that it was a omen it was canceled since he hates helicopters.

I definitely wanna do the lumberjack show I can’t believe I didn’t get tickets for it last time what a stupid decision on my part!

Last edited:
So I think I'll book then if you guys recommend it!

Then I'll be on a Disney Cruise punishment for a couple of years :)
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!! And you can't beat the price! I am planning Alaska again. Once again, we got no rain when we went. We could have just gotten lucky. I do remember getting Christmas ornaments for half price, and as another poster mentioned, they'll have discounted merchandise aboard the ship.

Well I have your attention you guys can you guys give me your most look coward to excursions when you go to Alaska I’m pretty sure I’m not gonna get my husband to do the sled dogs because he found it last time that it was a omen it was canceled since he hates helicopters.

I definitely wanna do the lumberjack show I can’t believe I didn’t get tickets for it last time what a stupid decision on my part!
We did this... Disney has children 9 and over paying an adult price. At the Lumberjack show, 12 and under is adult. I went online to see the times Disney's lumber jack show was, then went on their website and got my then 11 year old son and us tickets at the same show. I paid the child price for him and a cheaper price for us, and got to see the Disney show! It is LITERALLY right off the ship, you can walk there. NO NEED FOR TRANSFERS!!

We did a sled dog excursion in Skagway. They dragged a modified vehicle around that they use for practice in summer. No helicopter necessary! And we got to hold puppies. :)

We did a sled dog excursion in Skagway. They dragged a modified vehicle around that they use for practice in summer. No helicopter necessary! And we got to hold puppies. :)

I wonder if my 3 year old will appreciate Alaska but there’s something about a Disney cruise in Alaska that got me excited!

I want to throw out something that I haven't seen mentioned yet - the glacier sled dog camps close late august or the first week of september. I am going the 5-12th and the Skagway one is closed and the Juneau one I believe goes an extra week or so if they can. I have the summer camp on land booked as I am not comfy with copters so it doesn't bother me...but if it is a must, I wouldn't go past August even though that one is weather dependent for obvious reasons and could be cancelled for any trip.

My most look-forward to excursions? Whale-watching. Even if a 3 yo doesn’t get the awesomeness of seeing whales, there are seals and birds; but also just a great boat ride.

I sailed the first week of September last year. It seemed a bit shutdown (Compared to videos from this summer). Hard to know how much was it being a restart after missing the first half of the season and how much is excursion staff having gone back to college. As usual, AK did not fail to deliver.

Thanks everyone you guys are so helpful oh man so we might miss the dogs…but again I doubt the baby could be able to come With us

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter