All questions about 5X Rewards here...

I got 2 offers in the mail because I have 2 DV cards -

5xs when you spend $250 or more on gas, groceries & dining

3xs when you spend $300 or more on anything

I am going to do the 3xs because I pay my National Grid, Verizon etc. with my DV. I don't like how some places are shown as "other" so at least I will get 3x everything over $300! :banana:

My 5X reward over a $250 threshhold states that I'd earn $3 in bonus rewards for every $100 spent above the hurdle. That is 3x rewards not 5X. I can't find any way to get a hold of a person to answer questions and I'm trying to figure out which reward program to utilize over the next several months.

I got an offer today for 3X on eligible purchases gas, grocery, dining over $250 a month. This is my first time receiving this offer.

I looked at previous statements and gas shows up as "vehicle expenses", restaurants as "dining and entertainment" but my grocery stores both show up as "other".

My grocery is the biggest expense for us. I wasn't sure how well we would accruing points with this offer but signed up anyway.

DH got 3x on purchases over $300 for April 15 - July 15. This is the same offer he got for Jan-Mar so I'm excited!!

I received the 5x offer over $250 for dining, gas and groceries. Since I never used the Chase card for any of those types of purchases I don't know how they will come up so I don't know if it is worth it.

I also thought I read somewhere, that you don't get the bonus points until the promotion has ended. Is that true? I'm hope that it isn't true because we leave for Disney on the 7/9 and if I decide to do this was going to use the points for that trip.

This is so confusing. I called Chase and asked how gas purchases would show up on the statement online. I told them all of my gas station purchases were showing up "vehicle expenses". They asked which stores and I said Chevron and Valero for example and they said on their end it was showing up as "fuel dispensary" or something like that and that is what it needs to show up as to get the 5x points in the gas category. She mentioned something about Kroger showing up as "groceries" and I confirmed w/ her that that particular store was a grocery purchase and not "other" as it showed up on my end and she confirmed on her end it came up as grocery. So I guess it's really a mystery until the points actually roll in :confused3

I'd usually use a DV for everthing anyway so I guess it doesn't matter but it would be nice to know how to accrue the points!

Has anyone ever encountered this? I just got the 5X offer for april-july for gas, groceries and dining. On the card it explains that you get the 5X after the "hurdle", but never mentions what the hurdle is. I've gotten this offer before a few times, and the hurdle has been anywhere from $800 -$1500. So I called Chase, and they tell me it begins with dollar 1-NO HURDLE POINT this time. Too good to be true I'm thinking. Just wondering how common this is.

WOW, I would have loved that one as we are leaving on a 2 week trip with our motor home. The MH gets 8 to 9 mpg :(

But alas, yesterday I got a 3x reward for all purchases over $800. It says I can only earn up to $100. during the promo. What kills me is the offer begins the 15th of April but I didn't get the card until the 22nd. I registered for the offer immediately, but I don't suppose they will give me credit for charges I made from the 15th on :(

I never got an offer until Jan. when I got this same offer. I did register but never had enough to get bonus rewards. Imagine my surprise when I got this offer again.:cheer2:

JoAnn

Has anyone ever encountered this? I just got the 5X offer for april-july for gas, groceries and dining. On the card it explains that you get the 5X after the "hurdle", but never mentions what the hurdle is. I've gotten this offer before a few times, and the hurdle has been anywhere from $800 -$1500. So I called Chase, and they tell me it begins with dollar 1-NO HURDLE POINT this time. Too good to be true I'm thinking. Just wondering how common this is.

I received this same offer!:thumbsup2

But alas, yesterday I got a 3x reward for all purchases over $800. It says I can only earn up to $100. during the promo. What kills me is the offer begins the 15th of April but I didn't get the card until the 22nd. I registered for the offer immediately, but I don't suppose they will give me credit for charges I made from the 15th on :(
JoAnn

Yes, they will go back and begin crediting you from April 15.

I received the 5X on gas, dining and groceries but my amount to go over is $700. A huge difference from the $1500 I normally have to surpass so I am :banana: :rotfl:

Yes, they will go back and begin crediting you from April 15.

I received the 5X on gas, dining and groceries but my amount to go over is $700. A huge difference from the $1500 I normally have to surpass so I am :banana: :rotfl:

That's great news, because I had enough charges to reach my $800. already in that case :cool1:

I have a question about this program. I received a card for 5X rewards with a $700 hurdle. My local grocery store sells tons of gift cards, and I am planning on buying a refridgerator this month. I was thinking I could buy a $700 gift card in order to clear the hurdle for this month, and use it to purchase my fridge. Do you think that would work? I already verified with Chase that my grocery store purchases were being counted as 'groceries' even though it shows up as 'other' online.

I have a question about this program. I received a card for 5X rewards with a $700 hurdle. My local grocery store sells tons of gift cards, and I am planning on buying a refridgerator this month. I was thinking I could buy a $700 gift card in order to clear the hurdle for this month, and use it to purchase my fridge. Do you think that would work? I already verified with Chase that my grocery store purchases were being counted as 'groceries' even though it shows up as 'other' online.

Sure will work - I've done this many times. It's still part of your grocery transaction/bill. I pick up gift cards for stores I shop in all the time (like Target). Just like you - I'd be spending it there anyway, so why not get a bit more back!

I was thinking I could buy a $700 gift card in order to clear the hurdle for this month, and use it to purchase my fridge.
Just a caution. Since grocery store cards are all for set amounts ($50, $100) you would have to buy several to get to the $700 mark. I would check with Home Depot/Lowes or whereever you plan to get the fridge to see how many giftcards you can use in a single transaction. Or if they can combine the cards to one card so you don't have to worry about too many payments for one transactions.

That's a great idea if it works.

I am so frustrated. I was soooo happy because I received the 5X bonus offer on ALL Gas, Groceries and Dining for April-July.

I started using the card for these purchases. Today I check my statement online and all of my gas is showing as vehicle expenses and my groceries as other at two different grocery stores. (Not Walmart, etc... these are grocery stores!)

I called in and the lady said maybe I will get an offer for the next three months that will work out better for me. Thanks for nothing Chase! It's Discover for me from now on!!

I really find this all so confusing, but hopefully I'll learn on this quick.....so I've read you can buy gift cards at grocery stores and that will count toward your total(was wondering because I do actually pick up giftcards often for gifts while grocery shopping) so that is awesome! Now I'm wondering how they determine if Walmart is grocery since there is so much you can buy there????? How about Target grocery?

I'm just totally confused? the post dates said from 4/15-5/15 etc.....but my bill comes at the first of the month. So do I just look at all charges I made 4/15-5/15 lets say I did pay $350 for those categories which is $100 above my $250 threshhold, does that mean I get $2 instead of $1 but only on that $100 extra I spent? So I would have a total of 4 disney dollars for the $350? and do they shop up as bonus ones later on down the road so I can determine if I have gotten my correct bonus dollars?

I'm just totally confused? the post dates said from 4/15-5/15 etc.....but my bill comes at the first of the month. So do I just look at all charges I made 4/15-5/15 lets say I did pay $350 for those categories which is $100 above my $250 threshhold, does that mean I get $2 instead of $1 but only on that $100 extra I spent? So I would have a total of 4 disney dollars for the $350? and do they shop up as bonus ones later on down the road so I can determine if I have gotten my correct bonus dollars?
If you bonus is for $250 and you use the card for $350 for the first month period, you will get the follwing in rewards:
$3 (sometimes $4) for the entire $350
and then you will get $2 for the $100 over your threshold.
Your bonuses won't show until the statement FOLLOWING the period you earned them. 4/15 - 5/15, won't show until the statement after 6/15

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter