Allergy/food intolerance question

MudQueen22

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the disabilities board.

I have read that WDW TS restaurants can accommodate people with food allergies or intolerances. Can QS locations do the same?
Can the food courts at the resorts do this as well?

How do you go about obtaining the appropriately prepared foods at food courts and other restaurants on property when you have allergies or intolerance?

Doctors have recently advised me to remove chocolate, cheese, and alcohol from my diet, and to stay away from fried foods. If I eat these foods it won't kill me, but I will get very sick.

I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the disabilities board.

I have read that WDW TS restaurants can accommodate people with food allergies or intolerances. Can QS locations do the same?
Can the food courts at the resorts do this as well?

How do you go about obtaining the appropriately prepared foods at food courts and other restaurants on property when you have allergies or intolerance?

Doctors have recently advised me to remove chocolate, cheese, and alcohol from my diet, and to stay away from fried foods. If I eat these foods it won't kill me, but I will get very sick.

WDW does a great job with food allergies.

I don't know how far you are into your research/planning, so forgive me if you already know this, but most quick service restaurants are pushing hard for nearly everyone to use mobile order via the My Disney Experience App. A lot of them (but not all) have allergy menus right in the app, but your situation doesn't fit neatly into any one category of allergy, so your approach is going to need to be a little different.

In your case, when you want to order, you should approach the cast member outside the restaurant and tell them that you have multiple allergies (that's the phrase that's going to work best) and that you need to speak to a manager or chef. They will allow you in, and when you get to the register, ask again to speak to a manager or chef, and they will go over your options with you.

Same thing at the resort food court. In the before Covid times, you would be sent to speak to a chef who would come out to speak to you, and I assume it's the same thing now.

You'll get the hang of it quickly, and they will take good care of you.

I don't know how far you are into your research/planning, so forgive me if you already know this, but most quick service restaurants are pushing hard for nearly everyone to use mobile order via the My Disney Experience App. A lot of them (but not all) have allergy menus right in the app, but your situation doesn't fit neatly into any one category of allergy, so your approach is going to need to be a little different.

In your case, when you want to order, you should approach the cast member outside the restaurant and tell them that you have multiple allergies (that's the phrase that's going to work best) and that you need to speak to a manager or chef. They will allow you in, and when you get to the register, ask again to speak to a manager or chef, and they will go over your options with you.

Same thing at the resort food court. In the before Covid times, you would be sent to speak to a chef who would come out to speak to you, and I assume it's the same thing now.

Thank you so much; that is so helpful.

Yes, I am very new to this. As of right now, we are suspecting chocolate and cheese are some major culprits.

Also, do I need to be posting questions such as these on the Disabilities board? I'm so new at this that I don't even know where to post a question like this.

Bad advice,it doesnt matter if it "works best" you never lie about a food allergy.

if you tell them you're allergic to chocolate and cheese they will rightfully assume your allergic to dairy and then anything that could possibly have touched any dairy product will be unavailable to you for liability reasons.

Be honest and explain these items make you sick. though Im not sure you really need special assistance.it should be easy for you to determine whats fried and what has cheese and whats not,all you will really need to do is not order those things.

If you have sensitivities to fried foods, cheese, and chocolate, I agree with the PP - it will very easy to see if those specific items are in menu items and I would just not order them.

This summer, there is insufficient staffing at all restaurants in Orlando to adjust items greatly (like trying to make a fried item grilled) - you will probably be able to leave cheese off an item, but that's as far as I'd attempt at CS. And all of this should be able to be done in a mobile order, so you probably don't need to speak to anyone. If you do, that will add 30-60 minutes to your order, if my May experience in Florida at multiple places (Disney Springs, Universal parks, and greater Orlando) is any indication. And even then, I was ordering what was the easiest to adapt or what I thought already worked, not trying to take an item and make multiple changes to it...

I'm severely lactose intolerant, and there have been many options I can eat. The only hitch in my giddyup has been in the milk drinking situation, in restaurants and stores. While they offer soy and some nut milks, I personally really don't like the taste. I wish they'd offer something like Lactaid milk and ice cream. I'd pay extra for it.

If you have sensitivities to fried foods, cheese, and chocolate, I agree with the PP - it will very easy to see if those specific items are in menu items and I would just not order them.

This summer, there is insufficient staffing at all restaurants in Orlando to adjust items greatly (like trying to make a fried item grilled) - you will probably be able to leave cheese off an item, but that's as far as I'd attempt at CS. And all of this should be able to be done in a mobile order, so you probably don't need to speak to anyone. If you do, that will add 30-60 minutes to your order, if my May experience in Florida at multiple places (Disney Springs, Universal parks, and greater Orlando) is any indication. And even then, I was ordering what was the easiest to adapt or what I thought already worked, not trying to take an item and make multiple changes to it...
Two points - first, most Disney resort QS restaurants don't post allergy items on their mobile order page, so speaking with a chef/supervisor is a must. We mention the issue to the cast member outside or at the door, and they immediately let us in, and both DH (gluten intolerance) and I (no allergies) are able to order in person. Second, we've done this many times (we're locals and visit often), and this adds perhaps 15-20 minutes to the process at Disney venues (not 30-60).

Bad advice,it doesnt matter if it "works best" you never lie about a food allergy.

if you tell them you're allergic to chocolate and cheese they will rightfully assume your allergic to dairy and then anything that could possibly have touched any dairy product will be unavailable to you for liability reasons.

Be honest and explain these items make you sick. though Im not sure you really need special assistance.it should be easy for you to determine whats fried and what has cheese and whats not,all you will really need to do is not order those things.
I'm not attempting to lie about anything. I am learning about this, and I'm truly doing my best.

Two points - first, most Disney resort QS restaurants don't post allergy items on their mobile order page, so speaking with a chef/supervisor is a must. We mention the issue to the cast member outside or at the door, and they immediately let us in, and both DH (gluten intolerance) and I (no allergies) are able to order in person. Second, we've done this many times (we're locals and visit often), and this adds perhaps 15-20 minutes to the process at Disney venues (not 30-60).
Thank you so much. I've been looking at some of the menus. Things I have eaten in the past will need to be cut out. When I looked at the ooey gooey toffee cake at LTT, I noticed it had chocolate chips and not just toffee. So that's out. :( Good to know that ingredients aren't listed in the app. I hate that, because we liked doing mobile ordering in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter