(Almost) Buyer's Remorse with RCCL LOTS

I can probably find the answer somewhere but what is the minimum age for sign out privileges? My younger son will be a month shy of 10. I'm not concerned about the older one as he'll have just turned 12.

On royal, they can technically be any age, but no youth staff will advertise that and they only really suggest it for voyagers (9-11 age group) but you have to allow it and put it on their from, and then they get put on a separate list, and some ships give a self signer wristband too so it's obvious to the staff. But self signer only works when the ship is at sea/moving.

Any age can check any age out too, but again only when the ship is at sea.

When the ship is docked, someone over 18 has to pick up and drop off.
As soon as the ship starts moving they can check in/out alone again.
Sometimes that can be mid session, so they can come in in the morning and it's a late docking and then they get stuck and can't sign out by themselves, or they can't check in But before the end of the session the ship starts sailing and they can leave by themselves again.

Anyone in the 9-11 year old group can sign in or out.

On royal, they can technically be any age, but no youth staff will advertise that and they only really suggest it for voyagers (9-11 age group) but you have to allow it and put it on their from, and then they get put on a separate list, and some ships give a self signer wristband too so it's obvious to the staff. But self signer only works when the ship is at sea/moving.

Any age can check any age out too, but again only when the ship is at sea.

When the ship is docked, someone over 18 has to pick up and drop off.
As soon as the ship starts moving they can check in/out alone again.
Sometimes that can be mid session, so they can come in in the morning and it's a late docking and then they get stuck and can't sign out by themselves, or they can't check in But before the end of the session the ship starts sailing and they can leave by themselves again.

Thanks for the info! The little guy is a little bummed he won't be with his brother but I'm sure he'll be fine after the first day. My will be 12 year old is ecstatic his brother won't be in the same club as him :rotfl:And if not, they can hang out together or as a family outside the club.

Thanks for the info! The little guy is a little bummed he won't be with his brother but I'm sure he'll be fine after the first day. My will be 12 year old is ecstatic his brother won't be in the same club as him :rotfl:And if not, they can hang out together or as a family outside the club.
I actually preferred it when my daughters were separate. LOL. They made their own friends, plus spent some time together.

T
Great information!

So our rooms are actually across from each other. A spacious promenade view (these look HUGE btw) and standard balcony. I think by the time the boys are 12 and almost 10 I'll feel comfortable with them being alone at night. I'd probably feel comfortable today doing the same thing. Our daughter will stay with us regardless.

That's good to know about sign out privileges. They'll be happy to be out on their own. And they're responsible and cautious so I trust them.

What about the transportation to the port is not good?

I'm so glad your kids liked the ship! My biggest concern was having enough for the wide age range and it sounds like they'll be just fine!

The splash pad alone with a 3 year old would make me choose this ship again! It’s one of the best in the fleet! Your family will have a great time when on board!

Galveston Transportation is quirky. It is approximately one hour from the Hobby airport. During my trips - Uber and Lift were not allowed and shuttle services were limited and expensive. We choose to rent a car, stay a few days in Galveston (and visit NASA) and park at the port and drive back to Hobby at the end. The cost of renting a car and dropping it off nearer the port is very expensive and may not even be possible (the rental car company there was not open on a Sundays!). Texas City is a middle ground between Houston and Galveston and many would use it as a rental car drop and shuttle from there. (Parking at the port was only $50 or so - so that part wasn’t an issue but the area can flood so if it’s storm season pay more for covered/raised parking!)

It’s very possible all of this has changed - so I would highly recommend the cruisecritic.com departure port board for the most up to date scoop!! With so many large ships coming in they really needed to improve this so hopefully they have!

I haven't sailed on RCCL yet but I can assure you that there's life after DCL... :)

Just try to get to know the cruise line so you'll know what differences to expect.

And that itinerary is very nice. Cozumel has many great excursion possibilities and I have only heard good things about Roatan.

I haven't sailed on RCCL yet but I can assure you that there's life after DCL... :)

Just try to get to know the cruise line so you'll know what differences to expect.

And that itinerary is very nice. Cozumel has many great excursion possibilities and I have only heard good things about Roatan.

Thanks! They look like gorgeous destinations. My only issue will be excursions that the (will be) 3 year old won't be able to do. If we have extended family joining us (they won't know until closer to a year out) we can probably enjoy some of the excursions that she can't do. I may also send my husband off with the boys. We'll enjoy either way I'm sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter