• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alright...explain DVC to me...

cheerbop

DIS Veteran
We are panning a Dec 2005 trip at the GF...haven't been to WDW in 4 years!

We are considering DVC and were wondering...

1-how much do you like it?
2-how much do you use it?
3-is it REALLY a GOOD deal?!
4-how much does it cost normally? Heard there is some special right now? true? Is this a good special or should we wait for something better?
5-how easy is it to get to the parks from resorts?
6-what are all the "hidden" costs?
7-how much is required for a deposit?
8-what are the average prices for the different times of year (points cost?)
9-how much does it actually cost to stay at a resort and NOT a dvc property?

anything else I didn't ask that would be helpful?

I know it is alot.....I apologize! My hubby is VERY VERY gun shy about this and I don't know how to convince him!

Thanks so much :wave2:

Try to answer you questions in order:
1) We love it. Have owned for 2 years. Since we have DVC, we ahve gone to the parks 5 times. Am also trading out twice this year. We would NEVER have vacationed this much if we hadn't bought in DVC. Only regret is that we didn't buy sooner!
2) How much you use it will be based on how many points you buy. Don't forget - you can go outside DVC preperties - tho sometimes the points seem high.
3) Someone else will be very happy to provide you with financial breakdowns - the bottom line is: if you want to go to the parks every year, or other disney resorts, or like to use timeshares for the next 50 years its a good deal. You have to be a traveler!
4) I'll punt on number 4.
5) DVCs are located all over DW - some are closer to certain parks than others. We use Disney transportation only (busses) and have never had a hard time getting around. A few times we did have a wait of 45 min or so...out of the 100 of so bus trips we have taken...
6) Hidden costs include maintenance fees, expense of much more frequent travel, and a tendency to spend more on extras at the parks (like tours, character meals, etc. bcs "lodging is free and we eat at the condo...)
7) Punt also - depends on # of points purchased.
8) Go to the DVC website - I think the point charts are available to non-members.
9) Depends on the resort you stay at. Value resorts - like POP - are not too pricey. We love the concierge at Animal Kingdom and spent almost $500 a night (gee was that right - the suite size plus taxes? " Yikes!)

I would strongly suggest you take a DVC tour and ask for their DVD. My husband was so unbelievably suspicious of this - now he wants to belong to the 1000 point club. Its a great way to vacation!

Maybe a "welcome home!" is in your future! :teeth:

1-how much do you like it?
Well, I haven't actually stayed at a DVC resort yet, but I'm already liking the idea that I have the accommodations covered for the next 50 years.

2-how much do you use it?
I currently have a trip planned for March 2006, and then another trip in October or December of 2006. So I'll be going about twice a year from now on.

3-is it REALLY a GOOD deal?!
This depends on how much you use it. If you always stay in deluxe resorts, then you'll probably save 40-60% off the rack rates. For me, I'm probably going to be spending about the same money as I would have already, but I would typically stay at a value resort. BUT, for that same amount of money I can stay at a DVC resort!!! So do I think it's a good deal... abosolutely!

4-how much does it cost normally? Heard there is some special right now? true? Is this a good special or should we wait for something better?
To purchase new at SSR, the cost is $98 per point, with a minimum purchase of 150 points. The "special" is $8 off per point, which can be applied towards the required downpayment, if you do DVC financing. Another "special" could come along after this one, but most likely it would be a comparable incentive. Oh and prices do go up!
You could also purchase a resale contract. Depending on where you'd want to buy, it could save you some money.

5-how easy is it to get to the parks from resorts?
Depends on the resort and which part you are going to. If you are at BWV or BCV, it's pretty easy to get to Disney Studios or Epcot. Other than that, you'll have the bus or boat rides.

6-what are all the "hidden" costs?
No "hidden" costs. You have the initial buy-in amount and then every year you pay Maintenance fees. Right now those range from 3.83 per point and up. These fees are not fixed and will change over time. These fees can only reflect actual costs and over history have increased about 3% each year. That's the only costs associated, other than the increased amount of money you might spend from making more trips... :rolleyes1
If you purchase resale, you'd have to pay the agreed contract amount, closing costs, and possibly refund maintenance fees to the seller. Pretty much everything is negotiable in the resale contract. You'd still be required to pay the annual MN fees once you become a member.

7-how much is required for a deposit?
They require at least $500 to get you started and then if you finance thru DVC I think there are either 10% down or 20% down loans.

8-what are the average prices for the different times of year (points cost?)
This varies depending on the resort and the size of accommodations. You can click on the DVC point charts at the top of this page to see the point requirements.

9-how much does it actually cost to stay at a resort and NOT a dvc property?
Again, it depends on the resort. If you are staying at the GF you know how much the deluxes costs. Go to www.disneyworld.com and just put in a few dates and pull up some ressies for accommodations only. Check the moderates and deluxe listings. Then look at the same dates and check the point requirements. You can calculate around $6-10 per point to figure out a "cash" value for staying at the DVC compared to the other Disney resorts.

HTH

We stayed at Old Key West in a 2 bedroom 9/24-28. Grandma and Grandpa had the master bedroom with whirlpool tub, 2 vanities, king bed and shower. Mom, Dad and 2 yr old took second bedroom with 2 full size beds, 2 vanities and tub/shower combo. Babysitter slept on pull out in living room. We used 120 pts. Bought in at $8/pt plus add a couple for maintenance. We would have paid around $1200.00. If you priced the same room at cash value without discounts $2564.60. And we only have to pay on the $8 part for 10 years. After that its all gravy for the next 42 years(except maintenace fee but my dog eats more than that every month). DVC resorts seem to be less crowded than hotels, so busses seem to be less crowded too. Internal bus systems are awesome. Plus in the one or two bedroom are full kitchens, full size washer/dryer. (Its the little things that make your life easier.) This is one of the best opportunities we have ever found, only wish we could have done it sooner. We also rented out our points to friends the years we couldn't go. They basically paid our monthly payments and then some for us.
If you can go during the off seasons, it's definently a treasure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter