Alternatives to Disney?

So many great ideas! Thank you everyone. For this summer, I was able to get my parents to watch the kids for a bit, so hubby and I are going to sneak away just the two of us! Which is a whole other situation. There will be no theme parks.

I’m thinking maybe Puerto Rico or Asheville NC. Open to suggestions here too. Same limits: short direct flight or shortish drive. I want a nice hotel where we can lie at pool/beach, with some optional activities.

A cruise was suggested up-thread, and the main draw for me was that someone else decided on where we were eating each night, at what time and even picked out the menus. I didn't have to plan, shop, prep, cook or clean up. Don't even get me started on how nice it was to head to the beach at Castaway Cay without feeling like a pack mule.
Yes a cruise sounds amazing. That’s definitely on my list.

San Diego! SO many good restaurants, great beaches, gorgeous hikes, the zoo and wild animal park are SUPERB! There are also fun museums over in Balboa park, and some neat nearby botanical gardens that have fun stuff for kids. Old town is also really fun with kids and the Mexican food is so delicious! It is one of our favorite places. The weather is almost always perfect. There are nearby aquariums, and also Seaward and Lego Land (never done either, they aren't really our thing- but obviously they are very popular). You could easily fill a week there.
My husband and I met while we were living in San Diego so it has a special place in my heart. Love the idea of bringing the kids there. (And maybe sneaking Disneyland in too)

I live here and I won't do that! I'll take the train up!

Back to the question at hand:

On our list for the next 3 to 5 years-
Road trip to Cooperstown/Niagara
Possibly Disney with the cousins?
DC
Williamsburg/VA Beach
Alaskan Cruise - because I am insane
Alaskan cruise is amazing, you are not insane, we are doing our secind one this summer.

It sounds cheesy, but I have heard great things about Dollywood! We almost went there for Spring Break instead and probably could have paid for the week with what we're spending on 2 days at WDW.
We haven't been there but have been to the area a lot. It's very touristy but has some gorgeous scenery. Asheville is nearby-ish to see the Biltmore house (also a New Belgium/Fat Tire brewery there with a tour).

Yes a cruise sounds amazing. That’s definitely on my list.

They really are great relaxing vacations. You can decide as much or as little as you want to do! I prefer DCL, but if you're not tied to Disney or its out of your budget, you can get great deals on other lines with more activities. My former boss loved Royal Caribbean.

We are currently stationed in Europe so trying to explore everything here that we can (Covid definitely put a damper on that😡), but my sisters and I loved Williamsburg as kids. It is definitely on our list for when we get back. Probably try to combine with a DC visit.
Since you are currently in Europe maybe you can try EuropaPark? I was supposed to go in 2020 (we all know how that went) but it looks amazing. I think some of the European parks look really good and I want to try more of them like Efteling too.

We're doing a Disney Cruise this year, it will be our second DCL cruise, I would like to explore other cruise lines such as Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head is on our list, so is Dollywood and Nashville TN. San Diego and Hawaii may be too far for you but it may be worth it. Seems like the cost of a WDW vacation can cost as much now anyway.

I second Williamsburg Virginia. Go in the summer. 3 parks days 2 at BG 1 at Water Country USA. Then do colonial Williamsburg /Jamestown/Yorktown, merchant square, ripleys museum, all the outlets and shops. Drive to the beach or kings dominion one day. Christmas Mouse store. The shopping center off Monticello street has a lot of shops, movies, panerA, blaze. Also other great chain and private owned restaurants. You can even tag in DC on the way back for a day or 2.

Hershey has also built up a lot since I’ve last been that I really want to return. One of my best friends loves dollywood and the pigeon forge area.

Last edited:
Try Branson, Mo, Silver Dollar City, Dog wood canon, Top of the Rock,
shepherd of the Hills, and many more.
johnny morris , bass pro museums, gun museum, wildlife of wonders. Short drive to to spring field, And on and on, a lot of shows all clean and fun,
more things do than Disney, and the prices are no where close to Disney, silver dollar city, cave tour, and park with rides and shows galore. And for the price you go all year long for less than one day at Disney. eats and treats about 1/2 , and a lot better.

Washington DC has a TON to do. A lot of it at no cost. We went there twice. The Smithsonian's are incredible. Took the Amtrak up to NYC one day. Long day but was fun. We went a couple of years later with another family we're friends with. Hit up some of the same stuff but also saw some things we missed the first time. We spent 5 nights each time because our hotel points rewards program gives us the 5th reward night at no points cost).

NE Tour (flew into Portland Maine and then down to Boston, Plymouth Rock...and looped around through those other NE states so we could color them in). Mount Washinton in New Hampshire - my husband had some wild hair to drive up to it after seeing it on the Weather channel. Of course, I'm the driver....scared the bejeezus out of me. It was in June. Make sure your car's brakes are in good shape. Did a tour at Cabot cheese. Acadia National Park tour.

Would require longer flights but you should be able to get something direct from up there. We did a Southwest road trip the year before Covid. Flew into Denver - omg this was tiring for me (the main driver). Drove through the Rockies to Arches Park in Moab, Utah; 4 Corners; Grand Canyon; Las Vegas for 2 nights; Hoover Dam; Joshua Tree; Flew back home from Vegas. Put over 2000 miles on the rental car that week. (was alamo and there was not an extra one-way rental fee) I really wish we would have gone over to Disneyland instead of spending a couple days in Vegas...it was okay and the kids LOVED our room (had their own bedroom) but looking back we should have gone to Disneyland to knock that one off our to-do list. Would like to, sans kids, go back to Denver and drive up Pike's Peak and maybe hit the Stanley Hotel.

I was looking at going up to Yellowstone, Dakotas, etc this summer but I didn't want to be driving all week, even with flying in up to somewhere in the area. Believe it or not, Disney was going to be easier to plan!
Stayed at the Stanley Hotel a few years back (big Stephen King fan in the house) and it was wonderful. Beware though it doesn't have AC so aim for a cooler season if you can't deal with heat while sleeping.

Knott's Berry Farm i mention Branson, very good.
but I don’t hear much about Knott's Berry Farm,
as a child I lived in California, and many time I went to Disney land, but also Knott's Berry Farm, and the knots was as good if not better, the two was in competition in California.
I know for certain it would more cheaper than Disney land.

so may be worth looking.
fact knotts farm was before Disney land and Walt Disney was friends with Walt knots, and inspired Disney land.

Last edited:
Hello! My twin kids are seven years old and the three of us LOVE Disney World. Bur y husband isn't exactly the type of person who would return to WDW again and again.. What are your recommendations for vacation destinations and/or resorts (particularly child-friendly resorts)? I'm not limited to a region, climate, or activity (e.g. it doesn't have to be near an amusement park, a ski resort is fine, etc.). But given this community's shared love of the WDW experience, I'd love to hear about your other fantastic vacation experiences!

Hello! My twin kids are seven years old and the three of us LOVE Disney World. Bur y husband isn't exactly the type of person who would return to WDW again and again.. What are your recommendations for vacation destinations and/or resorts (particularly child-friendly resorts)? I'm not limited to a region, climate, or activity (e.g. it doesn't have to be near an amusement park, a ski resort is fine, etc.). But given this community's shared love of the WDW experience, I'd love to hear about your other fantastic vacation experiences!
i know Dollywood was mentioned in earlier posts, but It really is fantastic. Theming is wonderful. Its way different than theming of like a sixflags or other typical amusement parks. Its on a mountain side and really themed to the appalacian mountains. Food is fantastic, Cinnamon bread is to die for!! You can tell Dolly really takes pride in her parks. It definitely matches up to Disney standards as far as cleanliness and friendly staff. They have characters that sometime roam the parks as well. My daughter LOVED the fairies.
We spent just one day there and i couldn't do everything, so it could easily be a two day park, she also has a couple of resorts and a water park. You could easily make a week vacation there if not more. There is also park in Gatlinburg called Anakeesta. It looks wonderful as well. its not an amusement park or anything. You take a ski lift up the mountain and it has treehouses and bridges i think. I never got to do it, but people rave about it as well. There is tons of things to do around the area and a national park, aquarium, indoor snow tubing, and lots of shopping. October is always a beautiful month to visit with the leaves changing.

It sounds cheesy, but I have heard great things about Dollywood! We almost went there for Spring Break instead and probably could have paid for the week with what we're spending on 2 days at WDW.
My kids love Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Dollywood, but also the Ripley's Aquarium, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (my son enjoyed earning his "Junior Ranger" badge by completing activities there), go-cart places that also have kiddie rides for younger children, WonderWorks, etc. We've gone there when my kids were ages 3-7 and are planning another trip there this fall for when they are 8 and 5...and probably going there again next year when they are 9 and 6. It's only 5 hours or so from us but still there is so much to do. And they are opening a Nerf arena and World of Crayola there within the next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter