Am I allowed to scan my MK shoot pics & other random debates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they're not YOUR pictures. They belong to the photographer...the artist...who created them. You are buying copies of his/her creation.

point taken.

Every artist owns the rights to his work unless he/she agrees to release that right in writing or by agreement. Absent that, anyone copying that work is in violation of the copyright. Its up to the artist who owns the copyright to decide if its worth their time to pursue action against the violator.

Actually, it's not up to the photographer, it's up to Disney.

For our Wedding, our photographer gave us all the permission we needed and she only charged about $300! It was a steal and we got all of pictures on two CDs, she spent about 6 hours as well. When we got the photoPass CD, it of course came with all of the permissions we needed. We also make sure we take a picture with our own camera with each PhotoPass picture, so we can do what we want with them.

Actually, it's not up to the photographer, it's up to Disney.
Disney owns the copyright if the work was done as a work for hire. Most likely this is the case if the photographer is a Disney Cast Member. Work for hire is whole other arena of copyright law...
As an artist in another realm, I wish people still got this upset over the copyright infringement that goes on daily in illegal downloading of music and movies...The photographers are simply trying to protect their work so that what has happened to millions of musicians and singers via the decimation of the entire music industry as a whole doesn't happen to their industry. Can't say that I blame them....Unless you're the one investing hundreds of hours into getting the work done so it is a work you can be proud of, most don't realize just how much work goes into making a CD of music or of worthy photos. Most think because they can burn a CD for so cheap, that's all that goes into it. :( One day there may not be professional musicians making good music any more because they can't afford to do it and make a living at it. And the same applies to photographers, movie production companies, and others I'm sure.... :(
When I got married in '90 I paid $1k for the photographers to show up and do the work, and another $1500 for any pictures I wanted. The proofs were given to me. I didn't get any negatives or reprint rights. If I wanted copies, I had to go back to the original photographer and pay him for the copies. That's the way it was done back in the day. (It wasn't that long ago...;) ) They were good, and worth it.

Photography board visitors,

I appreciate what everyone is saying about copyright laws and such, but what it boils down to is that Amanda, myself and many other disbrides hired/hire non-Disney photographers and we got/expect much more for a lot less money than Disney charges.

Some of our photography packages with our non-Disney photographers were half the price of the similar Disney photography package AND include a High -Res CD of the images with various levels of editing, in addition to various sizes of prints (fully edited) and various albums, AND full rights to our images.

For example, my non Disney Photographer charged $1500 (including the high -res cd with full rights assigned to me). The most similar Disney package (same hours shooting, including the high-res cd with rights) would have cost me $3800.

BOTH Photographers would have spent the same exact time shooting our wedding. And based on what I've seen of Disney Photography, it appears that the Non-Disney Photographers spend MUCH more time actually editing.

I think the source of the frustration and confusion behind Amanda's initial question relates back to just that... Why does she have rights to her non-Disney photographer's photos for a fraction of Disney's cost???

Maybe we have been spoiled by our non-Disney photographers. :confused3 I think many disbrides share that frustration.

It seems like there are a few people who are unhappy with Disney's photography services as of late. :( I wonder if all those brides who had an unfavorable experience, for what ever reason it was, would write a letter to Disney, if that would make a difference?? :confused3 Especially about not being able to talk with your photographer before your big day. I mean... they have to know who your photographer is at least a few days before your wedding right?? So why not be able to speak with them a few days before, and talk about everything and anything you want. It seems like this would help out a lot because then the photographer would have an idea; a feel of what you hope to get on your wedding day. And those who had a bad outcome, as in crappy quality of photos. I mean, I just can't imagine Disney hearing bad things and not doing something about it...

If enough people speak up and voice their opinions/concerns, I think this could be a really good thing!! Disney is def one of those companies that will listen to people and make changes for the better if enough people complain!! :thumbsup2

I think this would help out everyone, bc then we'd prob not feel quite so bad for paying 1k for our MK sessions and what not... well, maybe that's not true, but at least we'd be paying for something we really like and can be really happy about!! right :rotfl:

If enough people speak up and voice their opinions/concerns, I think this could be a really good thing!! Disney is def one of those companies that will listen to people and make changes for the better if enough people complain!! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 This is a great point! If Disney is good for one thing, its good customer service.... although, I wouldn't try to tell lurky that. :worried:

Wow this topic took off

Just want to add; sometimes it is possible to speak to your photographer. We had our planner set up a meeting about two months before our wedding to discuss what we wanted and see what the photographer normally does….Also our planner told us if it wasn’t what we were looking for we could pick someone else…while this is not the norm it is something they do if pressed….

When I got married in '90 I paid $1k for the photographers to show up and do the work, and another $1500 for any pictures I wanted. The proofs were given to me. I didn't get any negatives or reprint rights. If I wanted copies, I had to go back to the original photographer and pay him for the copies. That's the way it was done back in the day. (It wasn't that long ago...;) ) They were good, and worth it.

That's the point...

For $1500, my non-Disney photographer showed up and worked at my Disney wedding for 6 hours and I received (actually I will receive)...

- Proof Book with (300) images
- (6) color, b& white and/or color enhanced 8x12's prints (fully edited)
- (1) color and/or b&w 5x7 prints (fully edited)
- A private website of your final images (1492 images)
- High-res CD with full rights assigned to me
- 60 image artistically edited slideshow with music (my choice of images)

For $2800, I could have hired Disney Photography Services for 6 hours and recieved ...

- Proof Book with your images
- 4” x 6” keepsake prints from your celebration
- A private website of your final images
- Digital Montage (50) Print Album

For an ADDITIONAL $1000, I could add a high-res CD with full rights assigned.

This is the issue that some disbrides are frustrated with. So please understand, we aren't complaining because we don't want to spend money and pay people what they are worth. We are baffled as to why there is such a HUGE discrepancy in prices!

It seems like there are a few people who are unhappy with Disney's photography services as of late. :( I wonder if all those brides who had an unfavorable experience, for what ever reason it was, would write a letter to Disney, if that would make a difference?? :confused3 Especially about not being able to talk with your photographer before your big day. I mean... they have to know who your photographer is at least a few days before your wedding right?? So why not be able to speak with them a few days before, and talk about everything and anything you want. It seems like this would help out a lot because then the photographer would have an idea; a feel of what you hope to get on your wedding day. And those who had a bad outcome, as in crappy quality of photos. I mean, I just can't imagine Disney hearing bad things and not doing something about it...

I think this would help out everyone, bc then we'd prob not feel quite so bad for paying 1k for our MK sessions and what not... well, maybe that's not true, but at least we'd be paying for something we really like and can be really happy about!! right :rotfl:

I think that is a great idea.

This is the issue that some disbrides are frustrated with. So please understand, we aren't complaining because we don't want to spend money and pay people what they are worth. We are baffled as to why there is such a HUGE discrepancy in prices!

The price is comparable to high-end photography. So the package price isn’t crazy….unfortunately for that price the high-end photographer should be include…and I think that is the issue….High end prices without high-end results

Originally Posted by Cosi Bella
If enough people speak up and voice their opinions/concerns, I think this could be a really good thing!! Disney is def one of those companies that will listen to people and make changes for the better if enough people complain!!

I totally agree with this point too :thumbsup2

The idea of working with a photographer who has no clue about what shots you & your df are wanting is a little worrying. Talking beforehand surely not only puts couples minds at rest but it also helps the photographer to deliver great work, previous contact would help them to envision the ideas their clients have. I know in the many so far chats i ve had with Randy both sides have gotten to know each other fairly well. I ve told him so many times what shots i love etc. Im not even slightly worried how our photos with Randy will turn out as i ve got every faith in him. We know that Randy will do an amazing job just like he does for everyone else:woohoo:

The whole MK Shoot & cd package is pretty pricey when added together, granted we ALL pay the fees but not everyone is truely happy with the outcome which is nt exceptable. Disney pride themselves in working with you up till your wedding day to make sure everything goes perfectly,its just a shame they let themselves down in this one area

Photography board visitors,

I appreciate what everyone is saying about copyright laws and such, but what it boils down to is that Amanda, myself and many other disbrides hired/hire non-Disney photographers and we got/expect much more for a lot less money than Disney charges.

Some of our photography packages with our non-Disney photographers were half the price of the similar Disney photography package AND include a High -Res CD of the images with various levels of editing, in addition to various sizes of prints (fully edited) and various albums, AND full rights to our images.

For example, my non Disney Photographer charged $1500 (including the high -res cd with full rights assigned to me). The most similar Disney package (same hours shooting, including the high-res cd with rights) would have cost me $3800.

BOTH Photographers would have spent the same exact time shooting our wedding. And based on what I've seen of Disney Photography, it appears that the Non-Disney Photographers spend MUCH more time actually editing.

I think the source of the frustration and confusion behind Amanda's initial question relates back to just that... Why does she have rights to her non-Disney photographer's photos for a fraction of Disney's cost???

Maybe we have been spoiled by our non-Disney photographers. :confused3 I think many disbrides share that frustration.

Thanks for trying to clear that up, Nikki! :thumbsup2

Thanks for trying to clear that up, Nikki! :thumbsup2

No problem. I hope it helps though.:confused3

I totally understand your frustration. I really really love your MK pictures, but I ultimately decided not to do the MK shoot, because financially it just was not feasible. It also kills me to think that if we were allowed to use Misty or Randy I probably would have been able to afford it and I would have no doubt in my mind that either of their photographs would have come out absolutely perfect! I LOVE both of them!:worship: :worship:

….High end prices without high-end results

This is EXACTLY the point. ::yes:: I'm sure there are plenty of people that would have no problem paying Disney prices for a bang-up job. Unfortunately, they pay the high prices and get disappointed and thats when the flaming starts. You can go round and round about why Disney photography is too expensive, but the real proof is in the pudding....

You can go round and round about why Disney photography is too expensive, but the real proof is in the pudding....

But even if DPS was just as AMAZING and consistent as The Roots, Randy and Misty and I had the choice of paying one of those Non-Disney Photographers $1500 or paying Disney $3800 to get the same exact hours and prints and editing and quality, hands down I would still pick the Non-Disney photographer. Disney's prices are more than double and on it's way to triple the cost in some cases!!!

I've read all of these posts (and I was a Corporate Insolvency Lawyer for 8 years ~ and it's NOT boring, thank you very much! :rotfl2: ) and for me it comes down to the not knowing what the end result with Disney Photography would be.

We were fully prepared to pay the price for DPS and Video, but it's the uncertainty ~ there are no full portfolios to view, no samples of videos (I was promised one for a very long time) and we just panicked. I saw brides who were unhappy with their work, brides who were elated with their work, and the MK Shoots seemed to be hit and miss with whether you got what you hoped for after the wedding ~ after there was nothing you could do about it to save the precious memories of your special time.

We have the MK shoot and a particular photographer requested, and I'm still petrified that we won't get that photographer. I'm paying $1,300 (we are also doing Epcot) and probably the $1000 on top for the CD to have our once-in-a-lifetime pictures done in front of Cinderella's Castle and we'll be on tenderhooks waiting to see if they look professional or if they look as though I could have shot them using a tripod. No offence meant to anyone on here who photographs for DPS. I just have no idea what to expect. Will I like the photographer? Will I feel comfortable around them, do I like their style? There are so many questions and nowhere that can give answers.

I'm keeping the MK Shoot because it's the fairytale part of our wedding memories, the coveted location. However, we have no control over any aspect of it, it seems. It feels very "cloak and dagger" ~ we can't use our own photographers, yet we can't see portfolios and select one of theirs either.

Just my tuppence worth ~ I've paid, but I'm petrified, which is a shame. As a Disney Bride I would pay so much more if the process was more open and more amenable; more professional, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter