• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I Crazy?

We’re vegetarian so the options are already limited. Therefore we have to choose restaurants that have things that sound good. Therefore, yes, we’ve already planned out what we’ll eat.

I like to look ahead of time. First off it helps me know if the Dining Plan makes sense or not. Second, I like to know how much money to budget in advance. I always round up a bit and throw in the cost of an adult beverage too. If I over-estimate, all to the good!

I loved everything I had both times I dined there, but their mac & cheese was out-of-this-world. I mean off the hook delicious. The truffle oil they use makes it unique.

Both times we were there, they let us swap out the recommended side for any one we wanted. If you can, get the mac & cheese instead of the potatoes. You’ll want to lick the plate.

Also, the bread is crazy good at the Yachtsman too. It comes with roasted garlic and a slab of butter sprinkled with volcanic salt. So, so good. I think choosing to enjoy the bread over getting a dessert is a very smart move.

OP, I hope your meal there is as fabulous as mine were. :)

I'm not the kind of person whose tastes vary wildly day to day. whatever sounds best to me now will sound best to me in 115 days MOSTLY so I do decide what I will be likely to eat. If I'm between two things it's rare, but I'll never pick a restaurant like yachtsman, say I can't wait for the 32 oz steak over 115 days and then walk in and be like "meh I'd rather have the scallops instead." I tend to like what I like.

I had bariatric surgery so now I ESPECIALLY strategize EVERY restaurant meal. I always know what I'm going to order before I get there.

My meal plan for my upcoming trip involves where i'm going to go, what i'm going to eat, whether it will be an app or a kid's meal OR a regular meal and how i will deal with leftovers at places with regular meals.... either take back or abandon.... also what I can potentially share with my picky kid.

I try not to get my heart set on a specific dish since I know things can change on the menus before I get there. I always read how someone booked a ADR for one dish and then are disappointed when the show up and the menu is different from what they had been looking at for the past 180 days

There is nothing wrong with enjoying your trip in advance with a little planning and dreaming. As to whether you are crazy or not, I can't comment not knowing you better. :)

I absolutrly do this as well! I have all my restaurants picked well before 180 days and once I've reserved everything I start going through menus and seeing exactly what I want to order, if only because it gives me another Disney thing to do for the 180 remaining days!

I always look at the menu and speculate who in my group will want to order which meal. I’m the designated planner so I like to make sure there is something for everyone, vegetarian, allergic, the pain in my butt, the “I no longer eat food that begins with a vowel”...
And of course I always pick my own and for six months, think about how good it is going to be.

I love looking at the menues and dream of all the great things I will try. I do it all the time. I also write down a must-have-snack- list. Looks like I'm crazy too.:ccat:

As someone with gluten and dairy intolerances, I can certainly tell you that if you're crazy, I'm crazy too! :tongue: I always check the menu before going to any restaurant; it's become force of habit now. To be honest, I would feel underprepared if I sat down somewhere to eat without reading their menu from front to back beforehand!

I try not to get my heart set on a specific dish since I know things can change on the menus before I get there. I always read how someone booked a ADR for one dish and then are disappointed when the show up and the menu is different from what they had been looking at for the past 180 days

It’s rotten for those of us with more limited diets. The one time we went to crt they changed the whole menu around just before. So the veggie dish is had in mind for 4-5 months wasn’t there anymore.

I'm new to this online ordering thing. Is that for sit-down establishments or just quick service?

Being gluten-free, I am looking at the allergy-friendly menus I can find both for making my decisions about dining AND to plan out what I want. Given that I know things can change, I'm trying to make sure I book at places with a couple of options I would eat with my fingers crossed that BOTH won't disappear.

We look at menus because my sister is an incredibly fussy eater. I'll try anything once so I go with the flow and let her choose based on things she'll actually eat. We just cancelled San Angel Inn because they took the one thing she'll eat there off the menu.

Does anyone else look through menus and prepare for what they will order even though it is a mere 115 days from now?!?

One thing I have found really fun now that my meal plans are pretty well set is going back to re-read reviews of the restaurants we will be visiting (and can I just say a huge thank you to reviewers who include helpful hyperlinks at the beginning of their reviews?).

I have one quick question...we are going to the Yachtsman and I think the 32 oz porterhouse for 2 looks awesome. I am fairly confident DH and I will each get an appetizer (soup or salad) and I know the steak comes with the three sides (I believe mushrooms, onions, spinach) and the potatoes, will it be too much to also get the mac n' cheese? It looks so good. We are both big eaters and the kids will likely sample from our plates also. I generally prefer bread to dessert, so not planning on dessert. We are eating at Beaches n' Cream at 11:00 am and then our reservation is at 5:00 pm.

Yep, I am a little crazy. But it's fun!!!

Haven't read the replies, but if you're going in a time when the season changes, be aware the menu MAY change between now and when your reservation is. A few years ago, we had an unfortunate happening that we had a reservation, got there, went to order (like you, we looked ahead and knew what we wanted), and it wasn't on the menu. Here, the "seasonal" change happened a couple days prior (literally like 2 days). We were stuck at that point making the best of a bad situation... which, sadly for us, went from bad to worse as we both got super sick immediately after our meal at Kona.

So just be aware of menu changes/updates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter