American Airlines-Give me the Scoop

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
Flying AA for the first time from Burlington VT to MCO late Feb (layover in Philadelphia). In the past have only flown Jet Blue (before they started increasing their rates!) and United. What is AA like? What do they have for snacks, TV, how is guest services? Thanks!!

No TV. You can pay for wifi on most flights (I never have). You might get cookies on the flight from Philly to MCO, I think we have in the past. If you think you'll be hungry, bring something from home or buy something in the airport. Any interaction I've ever had with their customer service has been fine.

Your flight from PHL to MCO will most probably be one of the new 737's.

If so, it will have a monitor on the seatback in front of you with lots of features, including TV, music, flight following, etc. Just bring your own earphones. There will also be a port to charge your phone if you bring your cable. If you get an older 757, there will be monitors throughout the cabin, but you'll still need your own earphones. Many flights have wi-fi for a fee ($10?). They also have drinks and usually light snacks, with food for purchase.

The flight from Burlington to PHL will probably be American Eagle, which will have few in-flight amenities. Probably just drinks.

Your flight from PHL to MCO will most probably be one of the new 737's.

If so, it will have a monitor on the seatback in front of you with lots of features, including TV, music, flight following, etc. Just bring your own earphones. There will also be a port to charge your phone if you bring your cable. If you get an older 757, there will be monitors throughout the cabin, but you'll still need your own earphones. Many flights have wi-fi for a fee ($10?). They also have drinks and usually light snacks, with food for purchase.

The flight from Burlington to PHL will probably be American Eagle, which will have few in-flight amenities. Probably just drinks.

doesn't this depend on what type of seating you have? I don't think the cheapest seats have all of this.

I’ve flown BTV to PHL many, many times. These are little planes, in economy that mean 4 seats across (2x2). There is no food, but again, it’s a short flight. It’s scheduled for 90 minutes, but tends to be a flight time of less than an hour. Flying the other way, I’ve picked up my rental car and checked luggage and shown up at my daughter’s dorm in Burlington before my plane was scheduled to land. On a clear day, they might have time to get drinks to everyone, but most of this flight is going up and down.

I’ve never flown PHL to MCO, but I’ve flown those airplanes a few times. They are the normal 6 seats across (3x3). At a flight time of around 2:30 they might offer food for sale when bringing drinks, but they also might not. Very seldom do I actually get the plane with the seat back monitors. Bring your tablet or book for your entertainment and your own snacks. You’ll enjoy it more.

AA is one of the large legacy carriers (very similar to Delta and United).. PHL is one of AA's hubs so your flight from PHL to MCO will have lots of fellow passengers who are also on a layover.. As far as in-flight experience, your itinerary should state what kind of meal (if any) is included with your ticket on that flight, more than likely it will be a small snack (cookie or pretzels) and complimentary non-alcoholic beverages is the standard on most flights of this type.. As far as service, generally speaking AA normally provides good service, with that said, as with any airline, air travel is very unpredictable and you never know what could be happening that day (flight delays, short staffed, etc..) which could affect service levels..

We fly AA from Philadelphia to MCO since the merger with USAir. None of our flights had the monitors. They offered WiFi for a fee. There is free soda, water, juice , coffee or tea and Adult beverages for $. Usually we have gotten free cookies or pretzels and they have snack boxes for purchase. If you want more than the free snack pickup something at one of the shops/ food stands. Just an FYI your flight to MCO can be in Terminals A, B or C.

I’ve never flown PHL to MCO, but I’ve flown those airplanes a few times. They are the normal 6 seats across (3x3). At a flight time of around 2:30 they might offer food for sale when bringing drinks, but they also might not. Very seldom do I actually get the plane with the seat back monitors. Bring your tablet or book for your entertainment and your own snacks. You’ll enjoy it more.
According to AAL, there are two versions of the 737-800's. Version 1 does NOT have seat-back monitors; Version 2 DOES. The last several flights I've done have been Miami - California, so I probably got Version 2's on all those trips.

The same is true of the Airbus aircraft -- some have seat-back monitors, some don't.

OTOH, it's only a 2 1/2 hour flight. I did PHL-MIA in 1:58 one night, because the crew was almost timed out. That was exciting...;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter