An adult threatened my 6 year old

I was on your side until I read the response you received. I think they handled that reasonably. They acknowledged, apologized, stated how they plan to keep it from happening again, offered an incentive to return, and invited you to contact them further if needed. It was a pretty good response IMO.

If an acknowledgement of wrongdoing and an apology isn't enough, what is it you're looking for?
They defended her - called her a great employee and insisted she was joking but acknowledged it was insensitive and the workplace was not the right place to make such a joke (but where is the right place to "jokingly" threaten a 6 year old?)

They lied about a manager handling it immediately because I overheard the one employee say, "when the manager gets back".

They did apologize.

What I would like? For her to be removed from customer interactions. She had noise cancelling head phones on. We did not approach her. She chose to remove the headphones to interact with us. Obviously steps they've taken before are not sufficient and she has difficulty understanding what is acceptable and appropriate.

I agree with other (and OP) that the second comment was over the top. Reporting to the store? Absolutely! Even considering, much less filing a police report is WAY over the top IMO.

If you're not happy with how you're treated at a store, the answer is simple, don't shop there. If they fire, reassign, suspemd, or do nothing to that worker, it doesn't matter, because you're not shopping there.

If you want to keep getting your groceries there, go get your GC and use it. You don't get to decide how a business disciplines its employees.

From reading your posts you won’t be happy until the staffer is fired. That’s not your choice. Your choice is to never return.

Going into “Karen” mode (and I apologize to any Karen’s, I hate the term) just makes you look like you are wanting revenge.

How many places have you “vented” - bet you’ve made your displeasure made well known in other social media formats. It’s time to be the adult and move on. Vendettas never end well IMO, karma has a way of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Debated in my head if to reply or not, deep breath, here goes. I think there is a good chance the employee is neurodiverse as wearing headphones that are not normally permitted. Speaking as an autistic myself, its impossible to sort criticism of what doing - in this case seaweed display - from personal attack, particularly at work. I'm 50+ and still can't until I've talked to someone ( usually DH ) who explains not personal and why. Even then I can dwell on things for months, even years afterwards. As a neurodiverse, there's always the fear of losing the job over "doing something wrong" which is something others wouldn't bother about. For example, I rung up something wrongly on card machine but correctly on till so till was short at the end of the day. I offered to put the difference in ( a small amount ) and manager says "we're human, mistakes happen, don't worry about it".
The employee in question may have gone down that thought process and fear came out as anger. Yes, wrong to do so but we have trouble with emotions especially when in sensory overload - I do and start using the f word and hitting things, not people or animals I hasten to add. Its not that I can control it, won't control it, Its I CANNOT control it. I feel terrible afterwards too.
The cashier you spoke too may also not understand neurodiversity/ autism, or worse, believe its not real and/or adults don't have it, like we grow out of it something 🙄.
Was the employee in question young? Taken me decades to learn what not to say, but I still come out with the inappropriate things - eg NOT say "Wow, you've put on weight" but say "You look different from last time I saw you"
Conclusion? As others have said, use it as a teaching moment to explain neurodiversity and move on.

You did what you thought was right

At this point I’d spin it to being a teachable moment of sorts to your child that, for better or worse, many people just roll the same.
That’s what I would do too. Teach your child Some people are just odd, rude, and in rare cases can be truly threatening and harmful, but I wasn’t there so I can’t comment in which category this fits in. Most important is that your child learn to leave such a situation which you guys did. Whether it was truly dangerous or not if you were uncomfortable, leave the situation. but I think it’s important that a child learns they’re not always a victim. If your child feels they were a victim. They’re gonna feel scared and a range a bunch of other emotions. You remain angry or whatever, but for your child’s mental health, I would simply brush this off as a weird person situation explain to them that there are some people that are either just odd, on the spectrum, and so that is more important your child forgets about this and moves on.

Just wanted to post the email from the owner for reference:

"Good afternoon,

Sorry I missed your call. I had to run a quick errand for the store. Our sincere apologies for your experience in our store on Saturday. EMPLOYEE has been with us for some time and has been a great employee. This is the first time we have had an issue with her. I do believe her intention was to joke with your child, also believe she was insensitive of going to far especially being in a working environment. Our manager on duty addressed this with her immediately Saturday evening, and I will reinforce this myself to make sure we teach, train and coach her.
We appreciate your business, as we are a family owned business, and love being in this community. If there is anything else we can do, please let us know.
Stop in anytime Tuesday or after for a $20 gift card.

Sincerely,
OWNER & OWNER"

I changed the names to the position they hold.

I, obviously, have issues with this reply, but it's mostly the lying for me. There was no manager on the premises when I was there because when I walked up to the other two employees, the one was already talking about needing to talk to the manager when they got back and when I spoke to the manager today, he had no idea what had transpired. She probably means the young man handled it, which he did to the best of his ability by saying, "Woah, hey!" And, of course, the lie about it being an isolated incident when the cashier asked, "what did she do now?"

This reply is just garbage to me.
I guess I just don't understand what you want at this point. Yes it wasn't a great situation. But yes they have addressed it. I hate to say it but there really are much bigger issues

I think you have a need for revenge. I had sympathy until you posted the reply from the store. The reply sounded very reasonable and you are sounding unreasonable.

They took your report seriously, said they spoke to the employee, said they are going to train them about how to do better. Apologized and offered you compensation. Not sure What you feel you deserve?

Would you feel better if the employee was hauled into jail (not sure for what, you would have a hard time proving that was a legitimate threat worth of criminal charges to a police, but you can always try) ... maybe the good old public stocks and humiliation with rotten fruit thrown at them? Perhaps they should lose their job and go on welfare? I get you are all Mama Bear mode, but really you are making this into much more than it needs IMHO.

Sounds like teaching the employee they did wrong, explaining why (especially if special needs) and the need to do better is reasonable. Wouldn't that be what you would do with your child if they had said something like that to another person?

"Good afternoon,

Sorry I missed your call. I had to run a quick errand for the store. Our sincere apologies for your experience in our store on Saturday. EMPLOYEE has been with us for some time and has been a great employee. This is the first time we have had an issue with her. I do believe her intention was to joke with your child, also believe she was insensitive of going to far especially being in a working environment. Our manager on duty addressed this with her immediately Saturday evening, and I will reinforce this myself to make sure we teach, train and coach her.
We appreciate your business, as we are a family owned business, and love being in this community. If there is anything else we can do, please let us know.

Sincerely,
OWNER & OWNER"

Last edited:
Noise canceling headphones are not standard employee attire or supplies for grocery store employees

that can depend on-

the individual state the store is located in and that state's osha rules (occupational and safety health administration),

the individual store's determined noise levels.

where i live it's not uncommon to see staff in stores wearing noise canceling headphones or the type of earmuffs/earbuds traditionaly marketed for ear protection. these are generaly worn by the staff that are working in/near the butcher area with loud equipment and the back areas where larger moving equipment, multiple larger noise generating freezers/hvac units are located. i routinely see staff entering and exiting those areas, arranging displays and such with them on or off (dangling on their necks). some stores follow the letter of the law in their states and if an employee's assisgned work area is in or adjacent to those areas, even if they temporarily work in another quieter area of the store they are still mandated to keep their ear coverings on for the duration of their shift.

"Good afternoon,

Sincerely,
OWNER & OWNER"

I changed the names to the position they hold.

I, obviously, have issues with this reply, but it's mostly the lying for me. There was no manager on the premises when I was there because when I walked up to the other two employees, the one was already talking about needing to talk to the manager when they got back and when I spoke to the manager today, he had no idea what had transpired. She probably means the young man handled it, which he did to the best of his ability by saying, "Woah, hey!" And, of course, the lie about it being an isolated incident when the cashier asked, "what did she do now?"

This reply is just garbage to me.

I can understand being shocked in the moment but I think you're making too much of this. It seems kind of likely this person (perhaps on the spectrum or similar) was trying to make a joke. Or at least, wasn't literally threatening to force-feed your son seaweed while you and your husband stood there.

Also you are really reaching with the "lies" - you say they obviously lied because there was no manager on the premise. The reply says the issue was address "immediately Saturday evening" so they're simply saying it was dealt with that day. I think you are taking "immediately" too literally.

I also think you are taking the other employee's comment too literally. "What did she do now" could simply mean she has a habit of dropping things, or misdirecting shoppers to the wrong aisles. Unlikely she meant threatening children. Or maybe that cashier was just a bullying witch. Who knows!

I hope you aren't building this up in your son's mind to the point that he gets traumatized by it. Time to move on.

Debated in my head if to reply or not, deep breath, here goes. I think there is a good chance the employee is neurodiverse as wearing headphones that are not normally permitted. Speaking as an autistic myself, its impossible to sort criticism of what doing - in this case seaweed display - from personal attack, particularly at work. I'm 50+ and still can't until I've talked to someone ( usually DH ) who explains not personal and why. Even then I can dwell on things for months, even years afterwards. As a neurodiverse, there's always the fear of losing the job over "doing something wrong" which is something others wouldn't bother about. For example, I rung up something wrongly on card machine but correctly on till so till was short at the end of the day. I offered to put the difference in ( a small amount ) and manager says "we're human, mistakes happen, don't worry about it".
The employee in question may have gone down that thought process and fear came out as anger. Yes, wrong to do so but we have trouble with emotions especially when in sensory overload - I do and start using the f word and hitting things, not people or animals I hasten to add. Its not that I can control it, won't control it, Its I CANNOT control it. I feel terrible afterwards too.
The cashier you spoke too may also not understand neurodiversity/ autism, or worse, believe its not real and/or adults don't have it, like we grow out of it something 🙄.
Was the employee in question young? Taken me decades to learn what not to say, but I still come out with the inappropriate things - eg NOT say "Wow, you've put on weight" but say "You look different from last time I saw you"
Conclusion? As others have said, use it as a teaching moment to explain neurodiversity and move on.
Thank you for being willing to share your POV. :hug:

It is often difficult for people who do not have wide experience in the community of those who are different to even identify a situation let alone know how to interpret. Sadly there are times, like this, when folks want to blow something up to unwarranted levels rather than use as teaching moment, for everyone.

The letter from the manager gave several buzz words to indicated this employee has special needs (along with head phones), and if that is the case I applaud his inclusion. I shop at quite a few businesses that hire employees who are neurodivergent, and yes sometimes conversations go astray. I continue to converse with them and leave on a positive. In this case it was upsetting to a child, and yes it is best to let a manager know so that they can address it with the employee to help them understand.

The level this has gone to is way too much, not helpful to anyone to move forward in a positive way. I think it's best for OP and the store if they don't shop there anymore.

You're initial reaction and reporting it was 100% spot on. Now it's time for what I like to call a Frozen Moment... Let it go.

Use this situation as a teaching opportunity for your child. The world they are going to grow up in will have countless people of different abilities and challenges, helping them navigate those will be the best lesson they can learn. Don't teach them anger or the need for revenge, teach them compassion and understanding.

From the sound of the reply this isn't a huge corporate store, it sounds locally owned mom & pop type of store. They are doing what they can to run a business, treat customers right and do the same for their employees, they don't have some huge Human Resources department

Please don't waste the valuable time of the police with an issue like this, and skip the need for google review revenge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter