Another U.S shipping rant

Hi , we did alot of online shopping the last 6 months, and now we keep getting a automated call from DHL. Do not know what it is for? Would they not mail us a paper invoice if we owed duty?
My daughter ordered masks for me which came from the U.S. DHL sent me a paper invoice, but when I went online to pay, it said it had been paid in full. Does this automated call say you owe money? I was confused about that too, I kept a screenshot of the paid in full page.

My daughter ordered masks for me which came from the U.S. DHL sent me a paper invoice, but when I went online to pay, it said it had been paid in full. Does this automated call say you owe money? I was confused about that too, I kept a screenshot of the paid in full page.
The call gives us a reference number and another phone # to call, I am worried about phone scams.

It makes me crazy that Disney charges so much for shipping and then it costs you even more when it crosses the border. I am not sure what Disney is charging you for when you still pay other fees. Beware because I have found that items usually end up costing more than twice as much by the time all the fees are paid. I have not had this issue ordering items from other companies in the US. Shopdisney is losing a lot of business from me because I will not pay this any more.

It makes me crazy that Disney charges so much for shipping and then it costs you even more when it crosses the border. I am not sure what Disney is charging you for when you still pay other fees. Beware because I have found that items usually end up costing more than twice as much by the time all the fees are paid. I have not had this issue ordering items from other companies in the US. Shopdisney is losing a lot of business from me because I will not pay this any more.

it's because they are using DHL or other carrier, but not using USPS (United States Postal Service aka the post office).

it's because they are using DHL or other carrier, but not using USPS (United States Postal Service aka the post office).
In my case they are using UPS. It just seems to me that Shopdisney's high fee should include paying for that. Or they should charge less in the first place knowing that the customer is paying shipping elsewhere. Unfortunately they do not give Canadians the option to use USPS. If they did, I would do that. I am ok with waiting a bit longer for things to arrive if it makes it more economical.

Always use USPS whenever possible. If a company will only use a courier such as UPS or Fedex, I will usually avoid buying from them. Unfortunately, you have no choice with shopdisney.

Consider using a company like crossborderpickups instead. I recently made a $90 USD purchase at shopdisney and used crossborderpickups. Since the purchase was >$75, shipping was free to the US address (would have been $40 USD to ship to my door in Canada, plus whatever taxes and brokerage fee on top of that). Unfortunately, shopdisney shipped it in 2 separate packages which incurred more cost to me since crossborderpickups now had to charge me to bring 2 packages across the border and ship 2 packages to me (I'm not in the GTA so I have them ship it to me instead of picking it up at their warehouse). Despite that, my cost to crossborderpickups was just over $40 CAD which included all the taxes on the items I bought. It probably would have been <$30 CAD if shopdisney had shipped everything in one package.

...ok reading this, I’ll stick to the ship to my friend or my brother...whomever I’ll see first 😲 I maxed out on my allowed amount last trip, thanks to the 30% AP discount.

Ok I just opened an account with planet express. So let's see how this goes. My order with ShopDisney was $95 so I got free shipping to my 'california' address. I also shopped through Rakuten and am getting 11% cash back so that's something. Let's see how this goes with Planet Express, will report back for sure!

Ok I just opened an account with planet express. So let's see how this goes. My order with ShopDisney was $95 so I got free shipping to my 'california' address. I also shopped through Rakuten and am getting 11% cash back so that's something. Let's see how this goes with Planet Express, will report back for sure!
This looks promising. I am excited to hear how it works!

i’m very interested to hear how this goes too! this could be the loophole my shopping habit most needs. hahaha

what’s the fee to planet express for your 95$ order?

i’m very interested to hear how this goes too! this could be the loophole my shopping habit most needs. hahaha

what’s the fee to planet express for your 95$ order?
So there is no fee to use Planet Express, I needed to put a $5 credit on my account to activate it, but that goes towards my first shipping fee. As far as I can tell they offer a few different options with shipping fees depending on weight of your package so once my order arrives there I can give more details as to what pricing options I have. I can say their rates are WAY better than the $39US shipping charges from ShopDisney.

So there is no fee to use Planet Express, I needed to put a $5 credit on my account to activate it, but that goes towards my first shipping fee. As far as I can tell they offer a few different options with shipping fees depending on weight of your package so once my order arrives there I can give more details as to what pricing options I have. I can say their rates are WAY better than the $39US shipping charges from ShopDisney.

ahh so you get the price once they receive your order to the Cali address! i get it now.

it’s a really smart idea. please do keep us posted on it all :)

I think the most annoying part of this is with the USMCA implementation duty shouldn't even apply until the $150 CDN dollar limit hits.... so theoretically if Shop disney collected GST/HST/PST there would be ZERO duty/taxes on orders less than above that --- so what this says to me is Shop Disney hasn't reacted to USMCA or just don't care at all about Canadian customers...

Last edited:
So just a tiny update on my ShopDisney order shipped with Planet Express. Disney, in their infinite wisdom, split my order into two shipments. Grrrr. The first shipment (a mug, thank you very much) arrived at Planet Express today. My second order has shipped, hopefully will arrive tomorrow at Planet Express. I *think* I can consolidate my packages to reduce shipping fees so I will keep you posted. Right now, if I chose to ship just the mug to me it would be $17-$19US depending on the carrier (that includes shipping and fees). So yeah....I think I can consolidate. Otherwise I hope I haven't made a huge mistake.....sigh.

Also, ShopDisney's billing is super screwy. I placed the order on November 11th, total was $105US.
So far there are 3 charges on my credit card (converted to CDN these charges are)

$35.44 posted Nov 13
$28.86 pending Nov 18
.04 cents pending Nov 19.

The entire order has now been shipped. Uh.........ok.

Oh fork me.....looks like ShopDisney split it into THREE shipments. Fark my life. Also, I received only two ' we shipped out your order' emails yet two shipments have been received, with a third on the way. Ugh this is SO 2020 :( :headache:

Last edited:
Yeah - we have learned to declare a value of "0" when shipping packages.

The UK is even worse. My brother in law lives in London and has been dinged badly so many times. One time I bought a DVD for my niece and had it shipped directly to them. The post office asked for an astronomical fee to release it to them. I told them not to claim it and got an electronic file of it emailed to them. The company eventually got the DVD back and shippped it onwards to my US address.

Could I use Planet Express if I wanted to sign up for a virtual runDisney event? Since they won't deliver medals to Canada

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter