Another U.S shipping rant

Thank you both for your replies. It was definitely UPS because I was tracking it on their website until it reached Canada and then 2 days ago it had a new tracking number listed on the side of the page that said alternate tracking. I randomly checked Canada Post using the alternate tracking number and it said out for delivery.

I don't think I was charged an import tax. The website said Canadians may be charged additional fees when the package arrives.

I guess I will just wait and see if I have any extra fees to pay. Thanks everyone!!!

It will be interesting to see what the couriers are doing as far as brokerage/tax collection fees now that the CUSMA is in place (here's a link to the CBSA page.) The value for duty to apply to courier shipments from the US is $150 CDN (the value when hst/gst hits is at the $40 mark.) Weirdly they make a distinction between mail and courier shipments and for mail shipments the old $20 limit still applies. I doubt you'll see any bill from UPS as duty would not apply at all and for the gst/hst portion I doubt they'd bother to look at that.

I just wanted to follow up on my Planet Express Disney store delivery via FedEx. About a week ago I received an invoice from FedEx - zero $ owing! So while I ended up paying more for shipping (again because I had to consolidate since DS decided to dissect my order into three shipments to Planet Express) I paid zero in duty and import fees.

I just wanted to follow up on my Planet Express Disney store delivery via FedEx. About a week ago I received an invoice from FedEx - zero $ owing! So while I ended up paying more for shipping (again because I had to consolidate since DS decided to dissect my order into three shipments to Planet Express) I paid zero in duty and import fees.

thanks for sharing! my sense is that you came out ahead, especially since you’d be paying duties on 3 different shipments...is that right? would you use the service again?

if only we had a simple way to order from disney...but if this path is the easiest i’ll definitely keep it in mind.

thanks for sharing! my sense is that you came out ahead, especially since you’d be paying duties on 3 different shipments...is that right? would you use the service again?

if only we had a simple way to order from disney...but if this path is the easiest i’ll definitely keep it in mind.
Yes I think I still came out ahead since DS split my shipments into three. That would have been rather expensive coming by UPS :oops: I would use Planet Express again (esp if I could be guaranteed DS would NOT split up my shipment) and would use them for other US retailers that don't ship to Canada.

Shop Disney was incredibly slow in shipping my order. Myus.com seems to be quick though. They got it out within 24 hours of receiving and fedex tracking confirmed I should receive before Christmas. I paid duty upfront to hopefully speed things up at customs.

Shop Disney was incredibly slow in shipping my order. Myus.com seems to be quick though. They got it out within 24 hours of receiving and fedex tracking confirmed I should receive before Christmas. I paid duty upfront to hopefully speed things up at customs.

I received my Shop Disney order through myus.com yesterday. Very happy with how quick myus.com shipped

Another data point: My DH used crossborderpickups.ca for one of my Christmas gifts. The cost of the item was $51 CAD, and was a "regular" package in Cross Border Pickup's size/weight scheme. The package was charged taxes by CBSA, on which Cross Border Pickup charges a 3% transaction fee. He drove to their Mississauga location to do the pickup. Total cost was $18.21.

I'm a full time student and can save hundreds of dollars on my text books by renting them from Amazon.com, however they won't ship to Canada (in the past I ordered them to my U.S. mailbox in Detroit and I would go pick them up because I'm in Windsor). Was thinking that maybe I should use Myus.com or Planet Express - is one better than the other for doing this? Can anybody tell me a rough estimate of the cost for using them (the shipping cost from Amazon to them would be free, so just getting the books from them to me)?

I'm a full time student and can save hundreds of dollars on my text books by renting them from Amazon.com, however they won't ship to Canada (in the past I ordered them to my U.S. mailbox in Detroit and I would go pick them up because I'm in Windsor). Was thinking that maybe I should use Myus.com or Planet Express - is one better than the other for doing this? Can anybody tell me a rough estimate of the cost for using them (the shipping cost from Amazon to them would be free, so just getting the books from them to me)?

It will depend on the total weight of the books. Checkout the shipping calculators on the sites.

For any one in the GTA , shippsy has worked out well for me. They charge $6.99 per item ($4.99 if you batch packages together) and then an estimated tax based on what you declare. You can then pickup in Mississauga or Markham or have them ship it to you for an added cost.

Another data point: My DH used crossborderpickups.ca for one of my Christmas gifts. The cost of the item was $51 CAD, and was a "regular" package in Cross Border Pickup's size/weight scheme. The package was charged taxes by CBSA, on which Cross Border Pickup charges a 3% transaction fee. He drove to their Mississauga location to do the pickup. Total cost was $18.21.

Been looking at their site and trying to break it down in your situation to better understand my case. So your package was $51....taxes were 15% at $7.65....their transaction fee was $0.23? So that is $7.88. Their fee was $10. That comes to $17.88 I'm obviously missing something small but that gives me a good idea of the cost for my item.

Does that sound right to you? How long did the whole process take?

I don't have the details from my husband, but $51 * 13% + 3% transaction fee = $6.83. I assume there is HST on their fee. $11.30 + $6.83 = $18.13. I assume the discrepancy is because the package wasn't exactly $51. It was 2 or 3 days between the package arrival at crossborderpickups in the US and the package available for pickup in Mississauga.

Bought some pandora charms for my sister, total costs after taxes, duties and exchange is about 3 times the costs of a pandora charms in Canada, but they did not have it here, so you pay for the exclusivity. Seing her joy was worth every penny. :jumping1:

We just used crossborderpickups.ca to order a couple of little things from Walmart.com that we couldn't find here in Canada. It took just short of two weeks to arrive at their location in Mississauga where we picked it up. They charged a total of $7.50 to bring the item (which cost under $15 at Walmart and weighed under 1 lb.) across the border. Communication with them was excellent and pickup was easy.

Since it worked so well, we are using it again now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter