Any Apple Watch suggestions while at WDW?

disneyvoice

DIS Veteran
I just got an Apple Watch primarily for work-out related stuff but I was thinking that there are probably some ways people like to use it while at WDW. Any suggestions?

Apple Pay, you have the Mickey face you can put it on, you can track your steps and distance walked, you can put your fast passes and any reservations in the calendar so you don't have to check your phone.

If I may ask - how is the Apple Watch? Been thinking of getting one - might wait for the AW3 though...

@Skywise I'm honestly not sure yet! I literally just got it and did the basic set up but I am still trying to figure it all out. I joined an on-line fitness group and lot of people in the group use it to track their activities so I thought I would try it. My 15 year old son has had one for quite a while and loves it! We got my DH one for Christmas and he said he wasn't sure if he was going to like it but he really does.

One thing to be a little wary of -- when I work out, my battery drains pretty quickly. So if you're getting a lot of steps/activity in with your watch, you could run out of juice if it's a long day. And that charger's not as carry-around-able as the lightning plug.

So my advice in using the watch is to use it rather sparingly. :)

ETA -- mine's a first generation, so they may have gotten better about battery life since then.

One thing to be a little wary of -- when I work out, my battery drains pretty quickly. So if you're getting a lot of steps/activity in with your watch, you could run out of juice if it's a long day. And that charger's not as carry-around-able as the lightning plug.

So my advice in using the watch is to use it rather sparingly. :)

ETA -- mine's a first generation, so they may have gotten better about battery life since then.

The newer Apple Watches do have a slightly improved battery. Also don't forget that they have the battery saver option you can turn on.

Generally when we're at Disney, after a full day when we get back to the hotel my watch (First Gen) is around 30-40% battery life.

Last weekend our busiest day we clocked 12.08 miles

I have an apple watch that I use to track my gym workouts. I enjoy using the stopwatch and timer and I like being able to check my calendar as well as answer the phone and texts on it. I also have an app I got that allows me to see my shopping lists on my watch.

How do y'all track steps or distances on your watches? I haven't figured that out yet.

I have an apple watch that I use to track my gym workouts. I enjoy using the stopwatch and timer and I like being able to check my calendar as well as answer the phone and texts on it. I also have an app I got that allows me to see my shopping lists on my watch.

How do y'all track steps or distances on your watches? I haven't figured that out yet.

Anytime you're wearing your watch and it's synced to your phone, all the steps/mileage/sitting/standing, etc is synced on your phone in the "Activity" app. It's probably on your phone right now so just find it and open the app. You can click each individual day and see everything

This is also where workout info is as well

I just got an Apple Watch primarily for work-out related stuff but I was thinking that there are probably some ways people like to use it while at WDW. Any suggestions?
There is an app that has park hours and wait times for rides too.

With the Utility or Modular style watch faces, you can select custom "complications" or plugins to track on the watchface. Put your reservations in your calendar app and make sure it syncs with your watch. Then, you can see your next upcoming ADR/FP. The dark sky app is really fantastic for real time weather changes, such as when it might start or quit raining.

With the Utility or Modular style watch faces, you can select custom "complications" or plugins to track on the watchface. Put your reservations in your calendar app and make sure it syncs with your watch. Then, you can see your next upcoming ADR/FP. The dark sky app is really fantastic for real time weather changes, such as when it might start or quit raining.

I second the dark sky app, works great esp at WDW when rain can pop up at any time

I just got Magic Guide for Disney World to use on my Apple Watch. It has wait times, park hours, maps and a few other things. Not sure how accurate the wait times are, but I can let you know soon, we leave in 10 days for a trip. I also did what was suggested and added our fastpasses and dining to my calendar so it will show up on my watch face.

I had the first gen and just upgraded to the second gen. Battery life on second gen is definitely much better, and it is much faster. Regarding batteries draining if you're working out, it definitely works harder to track your movement and heart rate when you initiate a workout. BUT, in a typical day, I'll track a 40 minute run and a 20-30 minute evening walk. I put my watch on every morning at 5:50 AM and wear it until I go to bed around 11:00. On the 2nd gen, i typically have about 30% battery left. Another thing to be mindful of is how many apps you have pushing notification to your watch. That can eat up battery, too (I'm looking at you, MLB At Bat).
All-in-all, I'm a big fan of the watch. It has definitely encouraged me to be more active (I have a 190 day+ move streak going and I'm trying to get to a year, so that's motivating to me). I also appreciate having my calendar on my watch - if I'm going from meeting to meeting at work, I can just glance at my watch to figure out where my next meeting is being held. The 2nd gen is more water proof, so I'll be able to use it in the pool when it opens this summer, which is neat.

I love the apple watch but haven't seen away to maximize...Im gonna try disney app that has wait times...will report back.

I've been tempted to get an Apple Watch, so this thread is great for me. i don't know anyone who has one, so I don't have any help there. I don't wear a regular watch, so it seems silly to get it for the watch features. I have a Fitbit that I use, so if it can duplicate that, it would be nice. Do you have to carry your phone at the same time to really optimize the features?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter