Any Canadians planning a fall 2021 trip?

Super jealous of you all booking Christmas trips. My hubby cannot take vacation from mid November til Dec 31 :( Can't wait for him to retire (you know, in a decade and a half 😒), we are definitely going away THAT Christmas!

I always book Costco. I was waiting for Westjet to release the return flight schedule and decided to book the car before the flights came out ($620 for 12 days at the company open later so we don't have to rush to drop it off), assuming that Westjet would have a direct flight home on the Saturday... Well they don't fly direct Saturday, only Friday or Sunday. Now the car rental prices have gone up at the two places open later. I am hoping that I can just drop the car off a day early and they won't charge me more?
Car rental periods are a 24 hour time period. SO let's look at your possible scenario (based on my guessing of what you're referring to and picking arbitrary times/dates)
You pick up the car at 2 pm on Tuesday Jan 3rd and you WANTED to return it at 2 pm on Saturday Jan 15th (3 + 12 days gives us the 15th)

BUT now you want to return it on Friday Jan 14th to catch the flight. So long as you return it AFTER 2 pm it's considered part of day 12 because once you've gone past the 24 hour period of any day you're into the next day, make sense?

Looking at a one day rental explains it a bit easier.
I pick up a car on Tuesday at 3 pm and return it on Tuesday at 8 pm = 1 day. I return it on Wednesday at noon = 1 day. I return it on Wednesday at 4 pm = 2 days. They usually give you about an hour leeway so make sure you're solidly into the 12th day and you'll be fine.

To check out what I'm trying to say, price out the rental using the dates you will now be needing the car and fiddling around with the return times.

We had to cancel a summer 2020 DL ticket. No idea when DL will reopen so cannot rebook at this time. I would look at going to WDW instead but we have DL tickets from Air Miles.

Ours would be to DL (we are west coasters), as our biggest DD is in Gr 12 in the fall- if by chance we can safety travel, and if by chance her easier classes are in the fall (no idea if they will still be on a 2 class a semester program) then we may consider extending a weekend, just hard to say right now where things are at..so not set plans, but would possibly throw something together last min if all variables allowed...

Yep booked for Sept 19-25, I also have June booked for a short 4 night trip after moving my April one. June’s will depend if we still have to hotel quarantine upon returning home, that was the only reason I loved my April one. I’m not sure how long that will be in place as people seem to bypassing it anyways.

Curious: are there still lots of flights going from Ontario to Florida? Seems like there wouldn't be many given the quarantine rules...

I went in October and I plan on bringing my 2 17 soon to be 18 year olds for grad/18th birthday trip at the end of August beginning of September for 2 weeks. I've already budgeted for the test down and back and now that I know the 3 day hotel quarantine is only abouy 350 per person I've already budgeted that. The only thing that will stop us from going now is if the US implements a quarantine rule. Right now it's just a recommendation. I went to Disney and Cuba twice between September and December and had no issues.

I went in October and I plan on bringing my 2 17 soon to be 18 year olds for grad/18th birthday trip at the end of August beginning of September for 2 weeks. I've already budgeted for the test down and back and now that I know the 3 day hotel quarantine is only abouy 350 per person I've already budgeted that. The only thing that will stop us from going now is if the US implements a quarantine rule. Right now it's just a recommendation. I went to Disney and Cuba twice between September and December and had no issues.

So you are ok with just ignoring that they want travellers to the US to quarantine because it’s just “recommended” not a requirement.

My friend wants to go first week of June, and if the current hotel quarantine restrictions are lifted, I am so there! (I can deal with regular 14 day quarantine I have done that twice thus far - I went to WDW in Sept & Nov)

My friend wants to go first week of June, and if the current hotel quarantine restrictions are lifted, I am so there! (I can deal with regular 14 day quarantine I have done that twice thus far - I went to WDW in Sept & Nov)
I'm the same. I work from home so can deal with the 14 days. I have already booked extra days for the hotel quarantine. This trip is so important to my kids cause their senior year of high school was crap. One of the kids is a foster and his mom died in October and I lost my mom in September so my other kid lost his grandmother. It's been a tough senior year of HS with remote learning and the deaths on top of it so they both deserve it so much.

We are booked for end of September into October for the 50th. If boarder opens and the 14 day quarantine on returning is lifted....we will be there. Soooo miss my happy place in the worst way :(

Curious: are there still lots of flights going from Ontario to Florida? Seems like there wouldn't be many given the quarantine rules...
I think there probably are some just like for any other destination right now (other than the Caribbean and Mexico), the quarantine rules apply to every destination and people still flying, but travel is down like 90% overall.
When we fly to Orlando though, most of the time we fly out of the States. It will be interesting to see what flight prices will be like once everything reopens.

I think there probably are some just like for any other destination right now (other than the Caribbean and Mexico), the quarantine rules apply to every destination and people still flying, but travel is down like 90% overall.
When we fly to Orlando though, most of the time we fly out of the States. It will be interesting to see what flight prices will be like once everything reopens.
How would you fly out of the states if the land border is closed, though?

QUOTE="HappilyEverAfter80, post: 62742145, member: 541040"]
[/QUOTE]

I don’t know where you got out of but used our travel bank out of Syracuse for Xmas this year and ended up with a $500 credit still .. so prices so far are down .. about $100 a ticket .

Looking for opinions: What do you think is more likely to happen (without required testing/quarantine) for us Canadians this year? (1) Mid-November at WDW (combined with either DCL if they are sailing, or Vero Beach if they are not), OR (2) New Years at Aulani? I would also consider whether current limited experiences would be extended in our decision (such as no fireworks or shows at WDW; no luau or Aunties kids club at Aulani). Trying to decide which trip is more likely to work out with a good experience to be able to use up my banked DVC points. I am vaccinated and husband will be soon (both health care). Kids are young so likely won't be vaccinated. So hard to plan trips/points with all the uncertainties!

Looking for opinions: What do you think is more likely to happen (without required testing/quarantine) for us Canadians this year? (1) Mid-November at WDW (combined with either DCL if they are sailing, or Vero Beach if they are not), OR (2) New Years at Aulani? I would also consider whether current limited experiences would be extended in our decision (such as no fireworks or shows at WDW; no luau or Aunties kids club at Aulani). Trying to decide which trip is more likely to work out with a good experience to be able to use up my banked DVC points. I am vaccinated and husband will be soon (both health care). Kids are young so likely won't be vaccinated. So hard to plan trips/points with all the uncertainties!
I personally think the later the better. That being said, I expect Hawaii will continue to be strict longer than other states due to their isolation, so that's a hard call! We were planning to go Aulani next year, but instead chose the UK for that very reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter