• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone Cancelling?

We were almost $4,000 into our July 14 trip, and had not even arrived yet ! $1,800 for park tix, $900 for airfare , $208 for dessert party, $267 on cirque tix, $500 for room deposits (split stay - 2 ressies )
Between room balances, food /dining costs , etc, we were looking at a possible $10,000 total cost ( for around 25% of the experience)

You will be refunded for many of those things so you aren’t out those funds. You have no lost anything outside of in park experiences yet.

You may have counters, but they aren’t valid. lol If you don’t know anything Disney has planned that is actually announced, you haven’t been keeping up.

You don’t get to determine who has a right to be upset and voice it.

Prove your speculations and my ignorance. I will wait.
Until then you are not longer worth a repost.

That’s enough all - move on.

A reminder of applicable DIS Guidelines:

4. NO FIGHTING/SARCASM​
While we'd like to think that a Disney fan site is always lighthearted, there are times when there are disagreements. Let's face it, there are certain topics that can transform any of us into a raging "Donald Duck." When you sense this is happening, we ask that you step away from the discussion before it escalates into a fight. Just like Mom always said about fighting, we don't care who started the argument and we don't want it on the DIS. (Okay, she didn't say the part about the DIS, but you know what we mean.) No attacking others and no sarcasm please. Either will result in an infraction

Disney has made no announcements regarding resorts or changes there, therefore you are getting exactly what you signed up for.
The only known unavailability regarding dinning is no characters. There are still many unknowns but with what we know it hasn’t changed much but you just are not preplanned anymore. The rebooking could end up being a disaster or it could be totally fine.
I have a counter to everything people say because- WE DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING YET! What we do know WDW has told us and you can choose to delay or attend, but they are not ripping anyone off. All complaining is primarily based on speculation.

The only people who have a right to be upset and voice it are the people who rely on Dining plans or had a free one which was stripped away.

I have to totally (but respectfully) disagree with you on this one, and some of the Disney cms would even agree. The only people that have the right to be upset are people who rely on dining plans ? How so? What about the people that invested a lot of time and money and money into a trip just to see most of those experiences taken away? And I know many will counter by saying , " but you had to know there were going to be changes"
that's true, to an extent - but I don't even think Disney know to what extent, and If they did, it wasn't communicated to the public clearly (or soon) enough.
They offered a free dining plan to those that had their trips cancelled- so, obviously, that lead to (false) hope for those that booked with this perk - and also to others that had trips booked
I figured my July 14 trip was safe, given the dining plan - I purposely waited and finally pulled the trigger and purchased our park tix on May 16, in order to book our FPS -
When I cancelled our trip, I requested a full refund of my park ticket cost, explaining that Disney has to have know by may 16, that the FPS were not going to happen - by all reports, they DID know earlier - the CM I spoke with totally understood, and I was given a refund with no questions asked
So now, let's take people that have a trial booked for July 11 (of around that date )
Many, I am sure , have had this trip planned for a year , (or at least 6-10 months)
Tomorrow is June 1- and they still don't know where they will be staying
They don't know how busses will operate
Has their been any mention of pools ?
Are they going to be able to get into a certain park that they had planned on going to on a certain day ?
Do they know where they can eat yet?

So, no one else should be upset ?
Again, JMHO, but two sides to the coin

You will be refunded for many of those things so you aren’t out those funds. You have no lost anything outside of in park experiences yet.

Never said I was "out the money" - just stated how much I had already invested
I cancelled the other day, and so far received money back for dessert party - waiting for hotel deposits and park ticket refunds

My family loves bowling, but wouldn't pay $5 a game to bowl 3 frames

@tinkerhon Most of what you are referring to being upset with, is how Disney has been handling this and their lack of clear communication. Which I totally agree with you and I lost positivity toward them because if they were even thinking July 11 all along the week by week cancellations were ridiculously inconsiderate.

What I keep referring back to is how people keep acting like they are getting 15-30% of the Disney Park experience and getting ripped off which is not accurate. We do not know anything about resorts yet so people can not say anything about that experience yet. (I would not go there either if no pool but we don’t know anything yet)

@tinkerhon Most of what you are referring to being upset with, is how Disney has been handling this and their lack of clear communication. Which I totally agree with you and I lost positivity toward them because if they were even thinking July 11 all along the week by week cancellations were ridiculously inconsiderate.

What I keep referring back to is how people keep acting like they are getting 15-30% of the Disney Park experience and getting ripped off which is not accurate. We do not know anything about resorts yet so people can not say anything about that experience yet. (I would not go there either if no pool but we don’t know anything yet)

What we do know -
No FPS ( or, at least, none that had already been booked)
No fireworks
No parades
No nighttime entertainment
No M & G
No character meals
Park hours are worse ( i would say shorter, but if they add hours in the morning, might be close - still , MK at 7 in the summer, and AK at 6 - and many people use the later hours in the summer to their advantage)
These are all known, I believe -

Some unknowns - how bus system is going to work
pools ?
Which hotels are open ?
TS restaurants? All open? Some ?
Park ressies ? How will that work ?
Edit : park hopping ?

So, best case scenario, given the one we know, that Disney has announced - where would you place the experience ?
30-40% maybe ? Now, factor in the unknowns - good chance it goes to that 15-30% figure

We canceled our July 11-18 trip. Learning that only 2 parks would be open for the first half of our trip wasn’t great. When I woke up this week to find all our fast passes gone as well as our dining reservations, that was our last straw.
I have watched a few Shanghai YouTube videos that also made me nervous. (While everyone was wearing masks social distancing seemed non existent.
we choose to go in the summer for the long park hours too. My family of 6 are all over 14.

i understand why these changes were made. We decided we didn’t want to be the Guinea pigs.

@tinkerhon No need for me to address the unknowns because I agree their are many and as I said before I agree with the frustration regarding the questions and unknowns.

FP+- We do not even know if they will be necessary with crowd restriction

Fireworks and Nighttime entertainment- the hours you would have dedicated to them were the hours that were shortened from the day so that is a wash. The disappointment with them being cancelled is understandable but not something that kills the park enjoyment.

Parades-The disappointment with them being cancelled is understandable but not something that kills the park enjoyment. This is only 30ish minutes of the day

Meet and Greets-Alongside fireworks this would be the biggest change and disappointment but I think this mainly effects those would do not go often or this is first trip. (Who if I fell in those groupings no way I would be going)

Character Dining- I don’t consider that a park only event since you can attend several options without park tickets.

Park Hours- 10 hour days is not unreasonable and not Disney slighting you. If they are truly limited crowds the hours in the day will be a mute point.

@tinkerhon No need for me to address the unknowns because I agree their are many and as I said before I agree with the frustration regarding the questions and unknowns.

Fireworks and Nighttime entertainment- the hours you would have dedicated to them were the hours that were shortened from the day so that is a wash. The disappointment with them being cancelled is understandable but not something that kills the park enjoyment.

Parades-The disappointment with them being cancelled is understandable but not something that kills the park enjoyment. This is only 30ish minutes of the day

Meet and Greets-Alongside fireworks this would be the biggest change and disappointment but I think this mainly effects those would do not go often or this is first trip. (Who if I fell in those groupings no way I would be going)

Character Dining- I don’t consider that a park only event since you can attend several options without park tickets.

Park Hours- 10 hour days is not unreasonable and not Disney slighting you. If they are truly limited crowds the hours in the day will be a mute point.
I think the issue here is assuming what you hold dear or not is the same for everyone
Some people love fireworks
Parades
Meet and greets
Character dining
Shows
Attractions
Some don't
Some is a combination of these things
Anyone can be upset about the limitations and that's fine, no need to keep arguing that you don't see it that way
Again let's please focus on the original topic

Won't respond to the entire post, but it's extremely subjective - you state : fireworks, nighttime entertainment, and parades "are not something that kills park enjoyment"
that's just obviously your opinion, but it's stated like it's fact - I didn't mention parades, because I can take them or leave them as well, but I wouldn't tell anyone else that they shouldn't have a bearing on their overall park experience of enjoyment.
These things all make the entire experience for thousands of ppl -

Last edited:
I think the issue here is assuming what you hold dear or not is the same for everyone
Some people love fireworks
Parades
Meet and greets
Character dining
Shows
Attractions
Some don't
Some is a combination of these things
Anyone can be upset about the limitations and that's fine, no need to keep arguing that you don't see it that way
Again let's please focus on the original topic

Exactly my point and thanks yullin3 - all very subjective - everyone has experiences/activities that are their favorites in Disney- and that might have sentimental value to themselves and/or their families - and none are right or wrong, or more important or less important than anyone else's - it's all subjective -

I am an AP holder and typically go about 5 times in a 365 day period.

We are in our upper 50's.

Due to health risks associated with super large gatherings, and the full price/reduced experience situation, we (of course) had no May trip and have cancelled our Sept trip.

I actually suspect we will cancel our December trip as well.

We may wind up having a good part of our AP being unused........... with the only offset being the partial refund they give us when the details are nailed down.

We just cancelled our mid-October trip. I could use the refund now and to be honest, I don’t know where I’d find the money this year with our markedly decreased income anyway. We’re trying to simplify our lives for the near future. It’s easier for me, personally, to step back and just let this one go, grieve the loss, stop the planning and the worrying about the unknowns, and regroup. Good luck, everybody, with your decisions and be safe.

Just pulled the plug on the first 4 days of our trip in August. We had a prepaid no cancellations allowed reservation at the Dolphin from 8/3 thru 8/7. I also have 2 weeks booked from 8/7 thru 8/21 at POFQ and CBR, so I figured the likelihood of being allowed to book 18 days at the parks would probably not be good since they only ever allowed 14 days worth of fast passes. The primary reason that I booked the 4 nights in the first place was to do EPCOT in small doses, particularly for dinner. With the restricted scenarios that are possible I asked if I could get a refund, and they agreed, so I took advantage while they still allowed it. I suppose I may regret it, but since my ADRs have already been blown up. and I have to start over anyway, I may as well save the $$$.

As of right now, we're keeping our fall trip as scheduled. We still have a good deal of time from now to then, and there are SO many variables at play. If the second wave they're warning against happens, we'll likely stay home. Otherwise, it will certainly be a different trip, but a memorable and unique one nonetheless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter