Anyone else heading to Aulani in December?!!

Cinderpamela

DIS Veteran
Bright and early this morning I was just was able to add on the 2 last nights to my Aulani reservation! It was a 7 month window miracle!pixiedust: Mele Kalikimaka in May!!!

Wondering if there will be any fellow DISers there with us?:santa: Let me know and I can add you to what I hope will be a growing list!!

:santa:The List of DIS'ers Who are Heading to Aulani in December 2013:

-Cinderpamela + DH, DS(16) &DS(12)..................12/23-12/29
-JWG + family.................................................12/21-1/2
-TALB+ family including DS's (16& 12).................12/22 through 12/29
-Kitti4lov+ family.............................................12/19 to 12/27
-cmstpierre aka-Michelle, DH, DD(5) & DS(3)........early December
-ppg0270 aka-Paul...........................................12/4-12/13
-DisneyJewel+ DH, DDs (12 & 15) & mom (85)........12/29-1/3
-MELSMICE & Tribe0701.....................................12/19-12/29
-Frank808 ......................................................12/23 - 12/26
-myty5 ..........................................................12/30-12/31
-twoprincessmommy+ DH,& 2 DDs(15&10).............12/22-12/31
-candiemonster.................................................12/31/-1/5
-hamm1207 & DH..............................................12/25-12/27

Great article with packing advice for Hawaii:http://www.govisithawaii.com/2007/07/23/what-to-pack-for-your-hawaii-vacation/

If you find any other good Aulani at Christmas-time info let me know, and I will add it to the front page here.:santa:

Links to info on past Christmas time events at Aulani:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/seasons-aloha-holiday-fun-for-all-ages-coming-to-aulani/

Article with a whole load of Holiday happenings and dining options on Oahu updated for 2013:
http://www.govisithawaii.com/2013/12/04/waikiki-christmas-2013-special-holiday-dining-events/

Great Blog on "15 Things You Didnt Know About Aulani" (I didn't know a lot of them!)
http://blogs.disney.com/insider/articles/2013/10/21/15-things-you-didnt-know-about-aulani/

Links to some past threads on Aulani at Christmas-time:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002417

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3113549

***a great Holidaytime TR from Mouse Owners... loads of pictures and dining ideas ++ including some good info on the New Years Eve fireworks and special NYE dinner at AMA AMA-
(Note:cant link from this site- so I will type it out and you can cut and paste and then take out the spacing I had to add):

http://www.mouse owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60810

Aulani Resort Holiday Decorations:
http://www.disneybymark.com/2012/12/20/holiday-decor-aulani-resort/

http://www.beourguestpodcast.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4639

:santa:

Alas, we shall not be joining you at Aulani this Christmas. But we do have our eye on next Christmas - but we thought it would be an impossibility at the 7 month window. Did you book your entire stay at 7 months? Hoping to learn from you! :-)

So here is how I managed it at 7 months:

As I kept checking the DVC site leading up to my kids school holiday dates, things were not looking good. We did not have enough points to walk a 7 day reservation forward to the days I actually wanted, so I was at the mercy of what was going to be opened. Plus, I had read from DVC members with 11 month windows that it was looking pretty full anyways, so I don't think that walking it forward would have helped anyways.

I managed to book the first two nights (Dec 25 &26 1 bdrm Island View) at the 7 month window. No other nights were showing availability then, so that’s all I got. After that I kept checking back... and on the morning of the 27th right before the website opened I saw Dec 27th and 28th available... I rubbed my eyes to make sure it wasn’t just my lack of sleep (4:50am PST) as it had not shown any availability the night before when I had checked. I got my request all queued up and hit go right at 8am EST. Got an 1 bdrm Ocean View for 2 more nights! It was more than I was hoping for after what I had been seeing!

We will stay somewhere else for the beginning of the week. Probably Waikiki, so we can do all the touring there (Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Bishop Museum, etc.) and then check in to Aulani where we can relax for the rest of the week!

One tip that I really think helped me snag those last 2 nights (I think it was here on this board from "AnalAnnie" aka Annie, so credit goes to her!!) was to just book it for one person. That way you do not waste any precious time entering everyones names into the online reservation form. So I just booked it for me and then called MS later to add everyone else.

Right after I confirmed those last 2 nights I went back and checked and there was no availability... so I must have snagged the only room (or close to it).

Hope that helps!

We'll be there! We're still piecing things together, but we have rooms.

We have a 2BR Island Garden View 12/21 - 12/28. I did walk it to that point and had to stop as dates were no longer available.

We have 2 studios for 12/28-12/29 (only options available).

We have a 2BR Island Garden View 12/29 - 12/30 on points.

We have a 2BR Island Garden View 12/29 - 1/2 on cash.

The 12/29 came through today and we snagged it. But, the MS person couldn't change our cash reservation :confused3. We wanted to drop the 12/29 night on cash and keep 12/30 - 1/2 but he couldn't do it (he said). Sounds like it may take getting the right person to help with that.

Hoping we can still get 12/28, 12/30, 12/31 and 1/1 on points by watching the website.

But we'll be there and we can't wait!!!! :beach:

JWG said:
The 12/29 came through today and we snagged it. But, the MS person couldn't change our cash reservation . We wanted to drop the 12/29 night on cash and keep 12/30 - 1/2 but he couldn't do it (he said). Sounds like it may take getting the right person to help with that.

Lucky you!! I am really hoping to find a room for 12/29 too... I guess I will just have to keep checking back. I was thinking I would just break down and do a cash reservation if need be.... but its very weird that they couldn't cancel it for you? Definitely try back and keep us posted on that!

Lucky you!! I am really hoping to find a room for 12/29 too... I guess I will just have to keep checking back. I was thinking I would just break down and do a cash reservation if need be.... but its very weird that they couldn't cancel it for you? Definitely try back and keep us posted on that!

This whole experience has proven the variance in CM knowledge and/or ability. I've talked to Member Services everyday for the past 10 days (almost) and have gotten wildly variant support - from good to exceptional (at least no one was horrible).

I'm really hoping someone can adjust our cash reservation that is 12/29 - 1/2 to 12/30 - 1/2 since we don't need the first night. I feel bad sitting on a room that we don't need.

So here is how I managed it at 7 months:

As I kept checking the DVC site leading up to my kids school holiday dates, things were not looking good. We did not have enough points to walk a 7 day reservation forward to the days I actually wanted, so I was at the mercy of what was going to be opened. Plus, I had read from DVC members with 11 month windows that it was looking pretty full anyways, so I don't think that walking it forward would have helped anyways.

I managed to book the first two nights (Dec 25 &26 1 bdrm Island View) at the 7 month window. No other nights were showing availability then, so that’s all I got. After that I kept checking back... and on the morning of the 27th right before the website opened I saw Dec 27th and 28th available... I rubbed my eyes to make sure it wasn’t just my lack of sleep (4:50am PST) as it had not shown any availability the night before when I had checked. I got my request all queued up and hit go right at 8am EST. Got an 1 bdrm Ocean View for 2 more nights! It was more than I was hoping for after what I had been seeing!

We will stay somewhere else for the beginning of the week. Probably Waikiki, so we can do all the touring there (Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Bishop Museum, etc.) and then check in to Aulani where we can relax for the rest of the week!

One tip that I really think helped me snag those last 2 nights (I think it was here on this board from "AnalAnnie" aka Annie, so credit goes to her!!) was to just book it for one person. That way you do not waste any precious time entering everyones names into the online reservation form. So I just booked it for me and then called MS later to add everyone else.

Right after I confirmed those last 2 nights I went back and checked and there was no availability... so I must have snagged the only room (or close to it).

Hope that helps!

Congratulations! Glad to have been able to help with a tip - the same thing happened when I booked - I snagged an OV studio with just me in the room then as soon as I was done I went back & looked & there were no more available for the entire 7 days. I was also appreciative of it because I was nervous about getting in and it helped not to have to enter everyones names. BTW I actually got that tip from a very helpful MS CM when I had called to make sure I knew how to borrow points from the right contract. So really, the credit for that trick goes to DVC MS!!:)

Congrats on your upcoming trip!
We almost joined you this year but some health issue makes it not possible ... :)
Have a wonderful trip!

Congratulations! Glad to have been able to help with a tip - the same thing happened when I booked - I snagged an OV studio with just me in the room then as soon as I was done I went back & looked & there were no more available for the entire 7 days. I was also appreciative of it because I was nervous about getting in and it helped not to have to enter everyones names. BTW I actually got that tip from a very helpful MS CM when I had called to make sure I knew how to borrow points from the right contract. So really, the credit for that trick goes to DVC MS!!:)

I'm curious about this trick.
I thought once you get to the page where you have to enter all the names the room is held for you for 20min (at least that's what the top of the page says right?).
So how could anyone snag the room from you?
Unless the reservation program actually allows multiple people to "hold" the available room and whoever can type guest names faster gets the room?

If that's the case, that is a huge flaw in the system.

I think once you can get to the page where you enter the names, you are pretty much guaranteed a room.
Unless you don't finish the process and then the room will be released back into the system (there is even a warning before you click away from the page without completing the reservation).

I remembered I was stalking a room for an october check in at 7mo out at 8am.
Right after the search I was able to see the room being available. But once I click "Book the room"... it says "The room is no longer available".
So someone was able to snag the room out from me but I was not able to get to the next page (entering the names).

Congrats on your upcoming trip!
We almost joined you this year but some health issue makes it not possible ... :)
Have a wonderful trip!

I'm curious about this trick.
I thought once you get to the page where you have to enter all the names the room is held for you for 20min (at least that's what the top of the page says right?).
So how could anyone snag the room from you?
Unless the reservation program actually allows multiple people to "hold" the available room and whoever can type guest names faster gets the room?

If that's the case, that is a huge flaw in the system.

I think once you can get to the page where you enter the names, you are pretty much guaranteed a room.
Unless you don't finish the process and then the room will be released back into the system (there is even a warning before you click away from the page without completing the reservation).

I remembered I was stalking a room for an october check in at 7mo out at 8am.
Right after the search I was able to see the room being available. But once I click "Book the room"... it says "The room is no longer available".
So someone was able to snag the room out from me but I was not able to get to the next page (entering the names).

I don't think your ressie is guaranteed until after you've gone thru the entire process and entered everyone's names and confirmed the request. I don't think anything is "held" while you're entering names. What this "trick" does is it eliminates some of the time involved in entering all the names. If you just initially book with ONE name on the reservation it's much faster than entering everyone else's names along with your name. So you're done faster. Therefore for example if there are 3 people online simultaneously who are all entering 4 names for the same type of unit and there's only 1 available then the fastest fingers win. Of course there is no inventory showing so you don't KNOW how many units are available. But if you only enter 1 name then you have the speed factor in your favor over the others. Then you just call back later when the phones open to add the rest of the people. So you just start your reservation with a total of 1 person.

I could be wrong but I really don't think the system "holds" a unit for you while you enter Johnny & Samantha & Carol's names etc. It's not "yours" until you finish the entire process. If the system worked like that and the same 3 people were just "browsing" to check the availability then the system would show nothing available when in reality it might be. It doesn't make sense for the system to "hold" maybe the only available unit while you toodle around with entering stuff...and then maybe you change your mind about the type of unit you want so you back track & start over. This would create a constant fluctuation of availability from minute to minute. I know I personally went in a few days ahead of time & played around with a dummy reservation the first time I used it so I would know what I was doing. I would hate to think I tied up a unit while I was just "playing". I went all the way up to the point of just not hitting the final button.

OP: So sorry for hijacking your thread!

I don't think your ressie is guaranteed until after you've gone thru the entire process and entered everyone's names and confirmed the request. I don't think anything is "held" while you're entering names. What this "trick" does is it eliminates some of the time involved in entering all the names. If you just initially book with ONE name on the reservation it's much faster than entering everyone else's names along with your name. So you're done faster. Therefore for example if there are 3 people online simultaneously who are all entering 4 names for the same type of unit and there's only 1 available then the fastest fingers win. Of course there is no inventory showing so you don't KNOW how many units are available. But if you only enter 1 name then you have the speed factor in your favor over the others. Then you just call back later when the phones open to add the rest of the people. So you just start your reservation with a total of 1 person.

I could be wrong but I really don't think the system "holds" a unit for you while you enter Johnny & Samantha & Carol's names etc. It's not "yours" until you finish the entire process. If the system worked like that and the same 3 people were just "browsing" to check the availability then the system would show nothing available when in reality it might be. It doesn't make sense for the system to "hold" maybe the only available unit while you toodle around with entering stuff...and then maybe you change your mind about the type of unit you want so you back track & start over. This would create a constant fluctuation of availability from minute to minute. I know I personally went in a few days ahead of time & played around with a dummy reservation the first time I used it so I would know what I was doing. I would hate to think I tied up a unit while I was just "playing". I went all the way up to the point of just not hitting the final button.

Hmm... Interesting.

I've done some playing as well for some popular time period because I want to know if there is only 1 room available on the dates I wanted (I have points at the resort but wasn't sure if I have enough to book, so I can check availability).
Sure enough I can get to the "pick your contracts" page but since I didn't have enough I can't really book.

Then I quickly went back to search to see if the room is still available on that date. I found that the room was NOT available.

I waited for about 3-5mins and searched again to see if the room I "held" went back to the pool. And 5min later it was back in the system.

I've done this for several types of rooms and several different dates and the result was identical. That's why I was curious about the "trick". As I always thought that the room is held for the 20mins it indicated while we are entering the names.

Maybe if you have time you can play around with the dates and accommodations. I suggest looking for a really popular time period and a limited room (for example: GVs on a holiday).

This is the message on top of the screen when you click "Select this resort":

Warning: Your Session Will Time Out in 20 Minutes*
*Although we will hold your offer for up to a total of 60 minutes, your booking session will end after 20 minutes of inactivity. If your session expires due to inactivity, then we will release your offer at that time so that other members may have an opportunity to book. This is the only warning you will receive regarding your offer expiration. Please also note that if you start a new search, the offer you are currently holding will be released. Only one room may be held per Membership at a time. Availability is continuously updated and subject to change.

And the message when you click "Start a new search":

Release the Room You Are Holding?
Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

If you do, the room you are currently holding will be released and may not be available at a later time.

Click "Yes" to leave the page or "No" to stay on the current page.

Oh I just realized the warning says 60mins! So the system says it'll hold the room for 60min.
Then again I could just be very wrong :)

I can't imagine that the system really holds a room for 60 minutes, its a nice thought though. Since the CM is the original person who gave Annie the advice I would think that they know the real scoop on how long the system holds that room as yours.
Though it is helpful to see the booking web page messages as I haven't done a thorough job of reading them as I am too busy focusing on getting that confirmation number as fast as possible!! :-)

I just logged on to MS to do my twice a day check for Aulani room availability for Christmas eve and lo and behold an Ocean view studio popped up as available for 12/24!! Yes MS, I will take it!!
So now we have to move rooms categories 3 times during our stay.... but I am glad we won't be checking in on Christmas morning... and that's one more day to soak up the Aulani atmosphere!!:beach:

I just logged on to MS to do my twice a day check for Aulani room availability for Christmas eve and lo and behold an Ocean view studio popped up as available for 12/24!! Yes MS, I will take it!!
So now we have to move rooms categories 3 times during our stay.... but I am glad we won't be checking in on Christmas morning... and that's one more day to soak up the Aulani atmosphere!!:beach:

Congrats! Keep looking! We also are in 3 categories as we start in a 2BR on points, go to a studio, go to a 2BR on points and finally to a 2BR on cash.

The good news is, all points/cash 2BRs are Island View, so hopefully we won't have to move.

I keep looking for cash nights to come up via points - no such luck yet.
But - we'll be there, which is what matters.

Currently, 12/28 is available in a 2BR oceanview. We need Island View, but maybe someone else can use?

I just looked online again and amazingly enough the one bedroom Island View category had availability for the 2 nights that I originally had booked for Ocean View.

I instantly got on the phone with MS and now I have 4 straight nights in an Island View one bedroom. Yipee!!
So now instead of having to switch rooms 3 times- first from an Ocean View Studio to a one bedroom Island V... and then 2 days later to a 1 bedroom OV- I now only have to switch one time from the studio to the Isl View one bedroom!! Super happy about that!:thumbsup2

...and I saved some points!!
It pays to keep checking the DVC website!

I just looked online again and amazingly enough the one bedroom Island View category had availability for the 2 nights that I originally had booked for Ocean View.

I instantly got on the phone with MS and now I have 4 straight nights in an Island View one bedroom. Yipee!!
So now instead of having to switch rooms 3 times- first from an Ocean View Studio to a one bedroom Island V... and then 2 days later to a 1 bedroom OV- I now only have to switch one time from the studio to the Isl View one bedroom!! Super happy about that!:thumbsup2

...and I saved some points!!
It pays to keep checking the DVC website!

Some big moves must have happened on the 3rd. I had some similar luck. We had 12/21 - 12/27 in a 2BR, one reservation. 12/28 in two studios, 12/29 back in a 2BR on points and 12/30-1/1 (leaving 1/2) on cash.

Yesterday I was able to get 12/28 and 1/1 on points.

So, now we have a 2BR island view the entire stay (yippee!) and only one reservation from 12/21-12/30 (points), one from 12/30-1/1 (cash) and one from 1/1-1/2 (points).

It's so helpful when you get smoeone at MS who knows what they're doing! :worship:

I had 5 separate resevations yesterday and she was able to consoldiate down to 3 today combining the single nights we were able to get on points into the one reservtion.

Some big moves must have happened on the 3rd. I had some similar luck. We had 12/21 - 12/27 in a 2BR, one reservation. 12/28 in two studios, 12/29 back in a 2BR on points and 12/30-1/1 (leaving 1/2) on cash.

Yesterday I was able to get 12/28 and 1/1 on points.

So, now we have a 2BR island view the entire stay (yippee!) and only one reservation from 12/21-12/30 (points), one from 12/30-1/1 (cash) and one from 1/1-1/2 (points).

It's so helpful when you get smoeone at MS who knows what they're doing! :worship:

I had 5 separate resevations yesterday and she was able to consoldiate down to 3 today combining the single nights we were able to get on points into the one reservtion.

Yipee! Thats awesome! I was saying to my DH that folks must have been cancelling because airfare is crazy for that time of year right now. Not sure why things opened up, but that was my best guess.

We will be joining you for Christmas in Aulani! So excited that we will be there 12/22 through 12/29. Does anyone know about Christmas services, meals, etc.?

I got on line at 7 months and booked an island view studio 12/19 to 12/27 with no problem. Flight prices are crazy but at lease we are not paying for our stay. This is our first dvc trip, we bought in last year.. Very excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter