Anyone have their ABD canceled?

OrangeBirdGirl

DIS Veteran
DH and I have been contemplating various ABD, mostly the South Africa one. There's a lot of pros to just going on our own but some by doing ABD.

The main hesitation of booking ABD is it states they are able to cancel at anytime. Yes the compensate us for airline rebooking to another reservation and put us on another tour or give us back the money. However, it seems like it would be hard to get excited about a trip knowing it could be axed at any time.

Has anyone had their trip canceled? Is there a certain timeframe when they know for sure if the trip will go or not?

Thanks!

We had our Italy trip cancelled on us. There was no reason given and we found out that the trip itself was almost full. We had already purchased our plane tickets and ABD did nothing to reimburse us for them I guess because we purchased on our own. Luckily we found a Tauck Italy trip for the same week BUT we still had to pay to change the date(s) by one day. We were really P.O.ed......and still leaves a little bitter taste....but we did go to Germany later with ABD and it was very good. I wish you luck and hopefully it will not be cancelled.:)

We had our Italy trip cancelled on us. There was no reason given and we found out that the trip itself was almost full. We had already purchased our plane tickets and ABD did nothing to reimburse us for them I guess because we purchased on our own. Luckily we found a Tauck Italy trip for the same week BUT we still had to pay to change the date(s) by one day. We were really P.O.ed......and still leaves a little bitter taste....but we did go to Germany later with ABD and it was very good. I wish you luck and hopefully it will not be cancelled.:)
That really surprises me about the airfare, because they were SO accommodating during the cancellations in 2009 due to the economy. Were you unable to re-book, so just looking for a refund?

ETA: Well, see my reply below. I think I answered my own question.

Sayhello

DH and I have been contemplating various ABD, mostly the South Africa one. There's a lot of pros to just going on our own but some by doing ABD.

The main hesitation of booking ABD is it states they are able to cancel at anytime. Yes the compensate us for airline rebooking to another reservation and put us on another tour or give us back the money. However, it seems like it would be hard to get excited about a trip knowing it could be axed at any time.

Has anyone had their trip canceled? Is there a certain timeframe when they know for sure if the trip will go or not?

Thanks!
That definitely has been one of the downsides of ABD. Lots of other operators guarantee the trips will go. There was a spurt of cancellations in 2009, due to the fact they'd just widely expanded the number of trips offered just prior to the economy tanking. So they had to consolidate trips that didn't have many folks signed up. That year, my Montana/Canada trip got cancelled (only 3 people had signed up). But ABD bent over backwards to accommodate me, switching me to an Alaska trip (for no extra charge) that left the day before the other trip was supposed to. They also payed to switch my airline ticket to Alaska (even though I booked it myself, and not through them). I really don't remember what they did for folks at that time who just decided to get a refund, but had purchased the airfare themselves. Perhaps it was just those who re-booked that were accommodated in that. But they cancelled that September trip in February, so there was tons of notice. And I've traveled on trips with as few as 14 people on them, so it has to be pretty low for them to cancel.

Since then, I've heard of a handful of trips that have been cancelled since then. I've assumed they were due to lack of people, but carpenta says theirs was not, so I'm not sure.

Most of us give a huge sigh of relief after the "no cancellation" date is past.

OMG, I just realized that this year's FAQ does not have anything about a "no cancellation past this date" clause any more. That's seriously sobering. The FAQ now states, in part:

We reserve the right to cancel a trip at any time prior to its commencement for any reason, such as if there are too few Guests, or if the quality of the trip or the safety of the Guests would, in our opinion, be compromised, such as may result from unforeseen circumstances (acts of God) or other circumstances beyond our reasonable control.
There used to be a clause that said they wouldn't cancel (except for things that might make the trip dangerous or affect the quality) within like 74 days of trip departure. That's gone now. I didn't even notice that until I just looked at the FAQ. Did others notice that, or am I just getting old & forgot???

Well, I can only tell you we haven't seen a *lot* of cancellations since 2009 (that we've heard of). But the FAQ does offer a certain amount of protection if they cancel your trip due to a lack of people.
If we cancel your trip prior to its commencement because there are too few Guests: (i) we will attempt to re-book you on another departure of the same itinerary, subject to availability, and we will bear any reasonable airline re-booking charges; however, if we are unable to rebook you, we will issue a full refund of your land package price and Plan (unless you have filed a claim); and (ii) if you booked airfare through us, we will issue a full refund of your airfare; and (iii) if you did not book airfare through us, we will reimburse you for your reasonable out-of-pocket (subject to proof) airline cancellation charges or, in the case of bookings using frequent flier miles, a reasonable cancellation service fee, provided you have exercised best efforts to mitigate such charges/fees; and (iv) the aforesaid payments and/or rebooking by us shall constitute a full settlement.
carpenta, I guess that answers the question on why you were treated differently, since your trip wasn't cancelled due to too few Guests... :(

Sorry for the rambly answer, but I found this change while researching the wording of my answer. I must admit, I am NOT happy about this change at all.

Sayhello

Hmmm…that is interesting. Do you think if you book the airfare through ABD that it would all be refunded to you? Obviously, I have a couple of years to think about this since we're not doing Australia until 2018 (our 10 year anniversary), but if I'm spending that much money on airfare I would hate to lose it!!

I booked the Australia trip in 2009 and it was cancelled. I hadn't booked airfare yet. I switched to the Alaska trip. I think they have cancelled just about every Egypt trip since it was first offered. Kind of surprised they are still offering it.

Sayhello - I don't know when the cancellation clause was removed, but I'm certain it was there when I booked our 2014 trip.

There used to be a clause that said they wouldn't cancel (except for things that might make the trip dangerous or affect the quality) within like 74 days of trip departure. That's gone now. I didn't even notice that until I just looked at the FAQ. Did others notice that, or am I just getting old & forgot

That's what I have seen and why I'm leery of it.

That really surprises me about the airfare, because they were SO accommodating during the cancellations in 2009 due to the economy. Were you unable to re-book, so just looking for a refund?

ETA: Well, see my reply below. I think I answered my own question.

Sayhello

It really puzzled us too. We booked through AAA as we always do and had the TA call. He said they basically could care less. He even said we had the Germany trip already booked and paid at the time and threatened to cancel and again....they did not seemed phased. We did do the Germany trip anyways. Luckily we got space on a Tauck trip but still had to pay $450.00 to change the airline tickets. Not too happy. The Tauck trip went so well that I think we will look at future trips with them. I suspected that since we were going during Easter there could have been a problem with reservations with the hotels in Rome or different vendors. All I know is that before ABD cancelled the trip was almost filled for I had called to get the head count as to adults and ages of children. I felt like Rodney Dangerfield...."no respect, no respect at all"................

Hmmm…that is interesting. Do you think if you book the airfare through ABD that it would all be refunded to you? Obviously, I have a couple of years to think about this since we're not doing Australia until 2018 (our 10 year anniversary), but if I'm spending that much money on airfare I would hate to lose it!!
Yes, if you book the airfare through ABD they will refund it if they cancel your trip. It's airfare not booked through them that appears to be iffy depending on why the trip is cancelled.

That's what I have seen and why I'm leery of it.
I totally understand this. It was kind of crazy living until you hit the "No cancel" date. I'm really not happy thinking about not knowing until the day the trip starts!

It really puzzled us too. We booked through AAA as we always do and had the TA call. He said they basically could care less. He even said we had the Germany trip already booked and paid at the time and threatened to cancel and again....they did not seemed phased. We did do the Germany trip anyways. Luckily we got space on a Tauck trip but still had to pay $450.00 to change the airline tickets. Not too happy. The Tauck trip went so well that I think we will look at future trips with them. I suspected that since we were going during Easter there could have been a problem with reservations with the hotels in Rome or different vendors. All I know is that before ABD cancelled the trip was almost filled for I had called to get the head count as to adults and ages of children. I felt like Rodney Dangerfield...."no respect, no respect at all"................
Wow. Just wow. You'd think they'd at least tell you why it was cancelled. I'm shocked you were treated as you were!

I booked the Australia trip in 2009 and it was cancelled. I hadn't booked airfare yet. I switched to the Alaska trip. I think they have cancelled just about every Egypt trip since it was first offered. Kind of surprised they are still offering it.
That's right. I forgot about Egypt. But that was really out of their hands. I wonder if it will ever run again. We had a man & his son on my Greece trip that tried to take it twice, and had it cancelled both times.

Sayhello - I don't know when the cancellation clause was removed, but I'm certain it was there when I booked our 2014 trip.
Oh, I'm certain it was there when I booked my 2014 Scotland trip, too! I disliked the old policy. I really hate this new one!

Sayhello

ABD guarantees many departure dates. More were just added for 2015.

See below:

Adventures by Disney's Guaranteed Departure Program is a list of departure dates that are guaranteed to travel. Guests can choose from these dates, knowing that these trips will not be canceled by Adventures by Disney prior to its scheduled start date (unless there are factors beyond their control.) We have marked these dates with an asterisk on our itinerary pages, so you can book with confidence. More dates may be added.

http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/abd/#itineraries

See below:

Adventures by Disney's Guaranteed Departure Program is a list of departure dates that are guaranteed to travel. Guests can choose from these dates, knowing that these trips will not be canceled by Adventures by Disney prior to its scheduled start date (unless there are factors beyond their control.) We have marked these dates with an asterisk on our itinerary pages, so you can book with confidence. More dates may be added.

Thanks for pointing that out, Kevin. Is this listed on ABD's site, also? I haven't found it in their FAQ (although, granted, it's hard to search). Is there anywhere where there's a central list, or do you have to go into each itinerary to see which are guaranteed? It might influence some people's choice of itinerary if they knew which ones had guaranteed departures, and which ones don't. Were they guaranteed from the day they were announced, or as they filled up? (ie, would this be applicable to those of us who book early?)

Thanks,
Sayhello

4 ABDs down with no issues. This is definitely the downside of ABDs though. You could potentially have airfare, pre-booked rooms, and tours invested around the ABD. Since it's rarely reported on these forums, I've got to believe cancellations hardly ever happen. Not to minimize carpenta's experience. I'm disappointed to hear about that. I'm toying with the idea of a Sept adults only ABD to Spain, but it seems like a slow time of year and I'm slightly concerned about its popularity. I've got to believe their lack of a clear cancellation policy hurts them (in lost potential $) more than it protects them.

4 ABDs down with no issues. This is definitely the downside of ABDs though. You could potentially have airfare, pre-booked rooms, and tours invested around the ABD. Since it's rarely reported on these forums, I've got to believe cancellations hardly ever happen. Not to minimize carpenta's experience. I'm disappointed to hear about that. I'm toying with the idea of a Sept adults only ABD to Spain, but it seems like a slow time of year and I'm slightly concerned about its popularity. I've got to believe their lack of a clear cancellation policy hurts them (in lost potential $) more than it protects them.
This is totally speculation on my part, but most of my "shoulder season" ABDs have gone with pretty small groups (well under 20). I have a feeling that ABD doesn't have to work as hard to guarantee room space on those trips, since it's not the high tourist season, so the hotels aren't going to be full up. My only concern would be because the Spain trip was introduced so late in the season, many people who take those Adult Only trips may have already booked something else. If you're talking 2016, that wouldn't be an issue.

But again, I'm just guessing.

Sayhello

Thanks for pointing that out, Kevin. Is this listed on ABD's site, also? I haven't found it in their FAQ (although, granted, it's hard to search). Is there anywhere where there's a central list, or do you have to go into each itinerary to see which are guaranteed? It might influence some people's choice of itinerary if they knew which ones had guaranteed departures, and which ones don't. Were they guaranteed from the day they were announced, or as they filled up? (ie, would this be applicable to those of us who book early?)

Thanks,
Sayhello

This is a list that Dreams Unlimited Travel requests so that our guests know in advance what's guaranteed.

I do not believe this is on the ABD site.

As we were just provided with an updated list, I believe this is an ongoing thing.

I am not certain where early booking plays into this.

This is one reason we always recommend travel insurance.

This is totally speculation on my part, but most of my "shoulder season" ABDs have gone with pretty small groups (well under 20). I have a feeling that ABD doesn't have to work as hard to guarantee room space on those trips, since it's not the high tourist season, so the hotels aren't going to be full up. My only concern would be because the Spain trip was introduced so late in the season, many people who take those Adult Only trips may have already booked something else. If you're talking 2016, that wouldn't be an issue.

But again, I'm just guessing.

Sayhello

That would make sense about filling up rooms during the off season. I did think about Spain being released midseason. That concerns me a bit too. We'll see. I won't be able to make any definitive plans for a couple of months anyway.

I think you're probably correct for the most part, but I've heard from adventure guides about trips being cancelled, when we had no one on the boards mentioning it. So it does happen occasionally and we don't necessarily hear about it.

When we booked the Australia ABD I asked the TA how many guests had already booked. She said we brought the number over 20, with a fair number of teenagers in the 13 - 17 age range included in the count. So I'm confident that our June 24th trip will be safe! Which reminds me it's time to get in pre and post-day planning mode! Less than 6 months to go :cool1:.

Wow! That's a big change, sayhello, thanks for alerting me. I think that's a horrible change, and I hope people complain so they change it back. It doesn't seem unreasonable for a company to be able to guarantee a trip at some point (barring acts of god, terrorism, etc.) that's great that some specific trips are guaranteed, but I looked at China (one of trips I'm looking at for 2016) and I didn't see any that were guaranteed for 2015.

See below:

Thanks! Do you know if when 2016 is released there will be guaranteed dates? We already made our 2015 vacation plans so we were thinking of 2016. That way we could contact you guys as soon as it's open, if we decided on the ABD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter