Anyone have their ABD canceled?

Look at other companies that offer the same trip close to the time that ABD trip goes. ABD cancelled our Italy trip and we purchased the airfare on our own. Lucky to find a trip by Tauck so we could use the airfare otherwise we would have to eat the $3000.00. ABD did not even offer to pay for the ticket date change we had to pay because we had to change the dates to fly. There are a number of companies that offer basically the same family trips (National Geographic, Family Journey, etc.) , just Google. As a person that traveled a few times with other vendors they are as good and in some aspects better than ABD. We now have a "back up plan" just for the fact that you cannot rely on the trips going off as planned. It really is frustrating and at times seems one sided.

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, Tauck doesn't offer anything comparable to the ABD Germany tour. The closest choice is a river cruise down the Rhine (we already have a Disney Cruise booked for December) that starts in Basel and ends in Amsterdam (so I wouldn't be able to use the same plane ticket). I'll check the other companies and see what they have.

I just paid the final payment for my Italy trip. I've had the same worry (my Ireland is a guaranteed departure).

But I seriously don't think ABD will cancel for low enrollment, unless maybe below ten people. They'd more likely just cut to one guide.

I think they only cancel when they can't get stuff for the tour booked properly for some reason. Just my opinion though.

A few years back we did a family river boat cruise from Budapest to Basil and it was fabulous. One of the best trips ever. I hope you have some luck in your search.:)

Well, here is what I'm working via my travel agent...

The June 5 trip has 28 people booked (I'm shocked, since we don't even get out of school until June 3). I almost booked this trip instead, and now I'm kicking myself. The catch is, they only have triple rooms left, so ABD has to determine if one of these triples can be "converted" to a double (based on the comments in the other thread about accommodations for 3, this doesn't sound like such a big deal...).

I was told the guaranteed departure trips on/near our departure dates are Austria/Germany/Czech Republic, France, Peru, and Ireland. All of these are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the trip I have booked. My final payment is just under $7600; these trips range in cost from $9300-$13850 because prices have gone up since I booked.

My travel agent is waiting on a quote for the June 5-13 trip to Germany, but she said ABD said this could take 3-5 days!!! Also, based on the prices quoted to me for the alternate trips, I'm pretty certain they will expect me to pay the difference between the current cost of the June 5-13 trip and the price that I booked the June 12-20 trip for. That differential is about $1000. I told my travel agent that I expect them to honor my initial rate (I'm pretty certain the two trips were the same price), but I don't think they are will be willing to do that. If they won't, I am prepared to cancel and forfeit my $600, or ~maybe~ take my chances with the trip I already have booked. Airfare is already way more expensive than I expected ($1800/ticket vs the $1200-$1500 I budgeted). I am simply unwilling to pay another $1000 on top of that. I'm leaning toward yanking my money altogether. I find it unacceptable that ABD is unwilling to say yay or nay to a trip with 14 people this late in the game.

I'm just really thankful that I dragged my feet on booking airfare AND that I found this thead (otherwise, I would not have though to ask how many people are booked)!

Last edited:
Well, here is what I'm working via my travel agent...

The June 5 trip has 28 people booked (I'm shocked, since we don't even get out of school until June 3). I almost booked this trip instead, and now I'm kicking myself. The catch is, they only have triple rooms left, so ABD has to determine if one of these triples can be "converted" to a double (based on the comments in the other thread about accommodations for 3, this doesn't sound like such a big deal...).

I was told the guaranteed departure trips on/near our departure dates are Austria/Germany/Czech Republic, France, Peru, and Ireland. All of these are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than the trip I have booked. My final payment is just under $7600; these trips range in cost from $9300-$13850 because prices have gone up since I booked.

My travel agent is waiting on a quote for the June 5-13 trip to Germany, but she said ABD said this could take 3-5 days!!! Also, based on the prices quoted to me for the alternate trips, I'm pretty certain they will expect me to pay the difference between the current cost of the June 5-13 trip and the price that I booked the June 12-20 trip for. That differential is about $1000. I told my travel agent that I expect them to honor my initial rate (I'm pretty certain the two trips were the same price), but I don't think they are will be willing to do that. If they won't, I am prepared to cancel and forfeit my $600, or ~maybe~ take my chances with the trip I already have booked. Airfare is already way more expensive than I expected ($1800/ticket vs the $1200-$1500 I budgeted). I am simply unwilling to pay another $1000 on top of that. I'm leaning toward yanking my money altogether. I find it unacceptable that ABD is unwilling to say yay or nay to a trip with 14 people this late in the game.

I'm just really thankful that I dragged my feet on booking airfare AND that I found this thead (otherwise, I would not have though to ask how many people are booked)!
The sad part is, if they end up cancelling your trip, then they *will* honor the price you paid when you booked for the earlier trip. I'd like to think they'd agree to that for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I have no idea why they made this change in their policy, but I don't like it, I don't know anyone who does. I wonder how many bookings they need to lose before they realize it's not a realistic policy?

Sayhello

The sad part is, if they end up cancelling your trip, then they *will* honor the price you paid when you booked for the earlier trip. I'd like to think they'd agree to that for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I have no idea why they made this change in their policy, but I don't like it, I don't know anyone who does. I wonder how many bookings they need to lose before they realize it's not a realistic policy?

Sayhello

What I bolded is the ONLY reason I might hang on and take my chances with the trip we already have booked. If it does get cancelled, there is a chance they can rebook us on the Jun 5-13 trip, and ABD will have to pay any change fees for our plane tickets. There are only two of us, and from what I've read, these tours go with up to 40 people...seems like they could squeeze us in, even if a few more people book the earlier itinerary.

It would be good business practice to honor your original price IMO. If you look at the Euro / dollar exchange rate when you booked the Euro value was 1.38 to the dollar. Today it is $1.11 to the dollar. What a savings just in exchange rate. As I have experienced personally ABD does not make the best decisions in regards to "keeping the customer happy".

We just returned from the adult only SE Asia trip in January. We only had 12 adventrurers in the group and they did not cancel it. It was great with the small group.

Update...ABD will not honor my original price. The quote they gave me also doesn't take into account the $600 deposit I've already paid (not sure what's going on there). It will end up costing me almost $1100 more (on top of the deposit) to change (assuming the travel agency will still honor the $400 discount/credit they gave me when I booked the first time). ABD is offering this as though they are doing me a favor by "opening space" on the other tour and letting me change.

They did give my TA some language about trips do go with 14 people, and while they can't guarantee the trip right now, they don't take the decision to cancel lightly and do everything they can to avoid it. Not sure how many grains of salt to take that with.

At this point, I think I'm just going to keep what I have, buy the airline tickets through ABD, and keep my fingers crossed. If ABD cancels my trip, I will ask to be moved (at their cost) to the Jun 5-13 trip. If they can't do that, I will ask for a full refund.

Last edited:
That's what I would do as well. I am looking at this with interest because I am probably going to book this trip for the same week next year.

The thing that irritates me most is there has GOT to be some date after which ABD will not cancel for too few guests. If for no other reason than they have logistics and reservations on their end that they have to account for. I mean, they wouldn't cancel for too few guests the night before, or even a week or two before, right? There has got to be a go or no go date.

Why they won't share this information absolutely boggles my mind.

It also occurs to me that this cancel at any time for any reason policy is borderline bait and switch. Customers are paying a premium to book a SPECIFIC itinerary. I was offered the trips to Austria/Germany/Czech Repub, France, Peru, and Ireland as guaranteed departure alternatives. I've been anticipating this vacation for almost a year...IMO none of those are acceptable substitutes (Peru vs Germany? Come on!). I'm sure they are all fantastic trips, but I'm not interested. I chose the Germany trip because I specifically want to go there and see Neuschwanstein and stay in a castle. I'm just not going to spend $10k+ on a trip that is not my first choice.

Last edited:
Update...ABD will not honor my original price. The quote they gave me also doesn't take into account the $600 deposit I've already paid (not sure what's going on there). It will end up costing me almost $1100 more (on top of the deposit) to change (assuming the travel agency will still honor the $400 discount/credit they gave me when I booked the first time). ABD is offering this as though they are doing me a favor by "opening space" on the other tour and letting me change.

They did give my TA some language about trips do go with 14 people, and while they can't guarantee the trip right now, they don't take the decision to cancel lightly and do everything they can to avoid it. Not sure how many grains of salt to take that with.

At this point, I think I'm just going to keep what I have, buy the airline tickets through ABD, and keep my fingers crossed. If ABD cancels my trip, I will ask to be moved (at their cost) to the Jun 5-13 trip. If they can't do that, I will ask for a full refund.
I think that's your best bet. I will say, I've had ABD's go with 14 people, and 14 is the minimum needed to keep a trip as an exclusive departure for a Travel Agent. So from that point of view, you could be fine. But it sounds like you're covered in either event.

Keeping my fingers & toes crossed for you!

Sayhello

The thing that irritates me most is there has GOT to be some date after which ABD will not cancel for too few guests. If for no other reason than they have logistics and reservations on their end that they have to account for. I mean, they wouldn't cancel for too few guests the night before, or even a week or two before, right? There has got to be a go or no go date.

Why they won't share this information absolutely boggles my mind.

It also occurs to me that this cancel at any time for any reason policy is borderline bait and switch. Customers are paying a premium to book a SPECIFIC itinerary. I was offered the trips to Austria/Germany/Czech Repub, France, Peru, and Ireland as guaranteed departure alternatives. I've been anticipating this vacation for almost a year...IMO none of those are acceptable substitutes (Peru vs Germany? Come on!). I'm sure they are all fantastic trips, but I'm not interested. I chose the Germany trip because I specifically want to go there and see Neuschwanstein and stay in a castle. I'm just not going to spend $10k+ on a trip that is not my first choice.
That's an interesting point. If they'd offered you another Germany departure that was guaranteed, then maybe.... But a totally different itinerary? I'm not sure I like that either.

Maybe a letter to ABD's management is called for?

Sayhello

I think that's your best bet. I will say, I've had ABD's go with 14 people, and 14 is the minimum needed to keep a trip as an exclusive departure for a Travel Agent. So from that point of view, you could be fine. But it sounds like you're covered in either event.

Sayhello

Thanks for the good vibes! It did occur to me that ABD doesn't want me to change because then they would have a trip with only 12. If 14 is a threshold, me moving could force them to cancel and rebook everyone else, too, which I'm sure would be a headache for everyone involved.

That's an interesting point. If they'd offered you another Germany departure that was guaranteed, then maybe.... But a totally different itinerary? I'm not sure I like that either.

Maybe a letter to ABD's management is called for?

Sayhello

I was mulling over that option on my run...I think I'll wait to see what the outcome is, first. As much as I've always loved Disney, the new FP+ system and its associated booking policies has turned me off of WDW. After this experience, I doubt I will book another ABD. I sure hope Disney Cruise Line doesn't do something to frustrate me between now and our December cruise!

To be fair, there are guaranteed departure dates for the Germany trip, but the only ones with availability are all in July. My TA knows we can't travel then, so she didn't suggest them. The August trip that is now wait list only is also guaranteed...I guess in hindsight, I should have booked that one. But ABD doesn't identify the guaranteed departure dates on their website. I didn't know anything about that until I saw this thread.

I can't help but think this change to the cancellation policy is an attempt to consolidate trips that don't sell well enough. I can hear the conversation in my head "Sorry, customer, but your trip to Germany has been cancelled. Please accept this trip to Peru - that is guaranteed to NOT be cancelled - instead for no additional charge! We know it's not where you wanted to go, but we already have all your money and at least you get to go ~somewhere~!"

Last edited:
I was mulling over that option on my run...I think I'll wait to see what the outcome is, first. As much as I've always loved Disney, the new FP+ system and its associated booking policies has turned me off of WDW. After this experience, I doubt I will book another ABD. I sure hope Disney Cruise Line doesn't do something to frustrate me between now and our December cruise!

I'm right there with you--no desire to go to WDW with FP+, and this new ABD policy *really* bothers me, and makes me much less inclined to book an ABD trip that isn't guaranteed. I'm really sorry for the headache you are having. You are pretty much caught in a catch-22: either lose your deposit or risk losing out on a vacation that you don't have time to replicate. I think at some point they should be forced to commit or return your money. They want to have it both ways, which is really horrible from the customer satisfaction perspective. Especially with a high-end product like ABD, I find this very disconcerting. I

agree with Sayhello, I think this might warrant a letter! If they don't give you an adequate response I would take it to social media. I've been shocked how responsive companies suddenly become with a tweet or FB post on their page :)

With the constant rise in pricing at WDW as well as the top of the mark ABD pricing for trips compared to other family travel companies I suspect that we will have to do a cost/return analysis on future trips.

Sayhello

I agree with this. I honestly think you'll be fine. And if you have trouble getting the same trip if does cancel,fight for your rights. Tell them they will lose future business from you if they don't satisfy your needs. This worked for me when ABD tried to not give me a AAA rate on my England adventure. I simply pointed out that I was planning on more trips with them and it didn't make financial sense to lose my business. They capitulated.

Thanks for the good vibes! It did occur to me that ABD doesn't want me to change because then they would have a trip with only 12. If 14 is a threshold, me moving could force them to cancel and rebook everyone else, too, which I'm sure would be a headache for everyone involved.
I hadn't thought of that, but you might be correct. They don't want to guarantee it in case someone has to cancel, but they also don't want you to be the ones to cause it to be cancelled. Kind of makes sense. Kind of.

I'm with you on FP+ and WDW. Really no desire to go there right now. I have non-expiring passes with days still on them, so I imagine I'll go back at some point, but not with how things are now. I really hope they don't do the same to Disneyland. I can still enjoy going there. And if ABD starts cancelling trips at the last minute due to lack of people, then, as much as I love them, I'd have to seriously re-consider signing up for more...

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter