anyone planning ahead for 2011?

I am so, so sad that the dates don't work out to do Backstage Magic after the PC REPO. :( The CM I spoke to back in February seemed so hopeful, and I really thought Disney would make it happen - it seemed so perfect. Oh well, I can only hope there will be a cruise/ABD package for Hawaii in 2012.
I am excited for all of you doing Egypt! I would love to go eventually, but DH and I have other places on the top of our list right now. I can't wait to read the trip reports!
That does seem like a missed opportunity for ABD. That's really too bad. It will be interesting to see what they do about Hawaii, since those would have to be long, one-way cruises. Maybe one or 2 specialty cruises, like the PC or transatlantics, but I can't see them doing it as a regular thing.

Sayhello

My DW and I did our honeymoon trip 18 yrs ago on a crusie in the med that included a bus trip down to Cairo--and we had armed guards following in jeeps behind us. You tend to forget about it all after a while, and then the beauty and wonder of the pyramids and sphinx...oh my! We had initially decided NOT to do this ABD, and do Peru--but looking at the details, the three day river trip, etc, well, we may change our mind. (Cost is a LOT more, so kids, forget college).

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

I'm fond of the "Disney Bubble", too. It came in very handy in the Mediterranean. I never had to worry about where to eat, where to find bathrooms, the language barrier, etc. Worked for me!

I too am a big fan of this "bubble" and cannot think of a better way to travel anywhere in the world. After the Wyoming trip with ABD last year I am sold! Even if there are other tour companies that are less expensive I live by the adage that you get what you pay for! ABD all the way!

Folks - my husband and I have done egypt 3 times in a variety of ways i.e: nile cruise and tours but always with an armed guard and have had trips of a life time.

I understand and respect peoples reluctance but the more positive view is that this country have taken very positive steps to make everyone feels VERY safe in a very different culture. If you've never been to the middle east it is a very different experience and one that at times can be overwhelming and daunting even for the well travelled. This is an extra security blanket that Egypt uses to ensure its tourism trade continues to thrive.

I only wish they would do the same in India because that is on my bucket list but not one I would risk now without this sort of measure.

As with everything there is a choice and each of us has to decide what we are prepared to accept to explore different places.
I can only say Egypt to this day of all my travels and we have done a fair bit is still the most awesome and wonderous. Cannot wait to take my son when hes just a little older - temperatures are something else never experienced before!!

Folks - my husband and I have done egypt 3 times in a variety of ways i.e: nile cruise and tours but always with an armed guard and have had trips of a life time.

I understand and respect peoples reluctance but the more positive view is that this country have taken very positive steps to make everyone feels VERY safe in a very different culture. If you've never been to the middle east it is a very different experience and one that at times can be overwhelming and daunting even for the well travelled. This is an extra security blanket that Egypt uses to ensure its tourism trade continues to thrive.

I only wish they would do the same in India because that is on my bucket list but not one I would risk now without this sort of measure.

As with everything there is a choice and each of us has to decide what we are prepared to accept to explore different places.
I can only say Egypt to this day of all my travels and we have done a fair bit is still the most awesome and wonderous. Cannot wait to take my son when hes just a little older - temperatures are something else never experienced before!!

I really appreciate your input. It is wonderful to hear from people who have gone to Egypt. Thank you for sharing.

TK

Like everyone has said, it's all a matter of comfort zone.

Last year, I spent a couple of weeks in India for work. I traveled on my own, had a great time and would go back any time.

A few months ago, I was in Thailand during the riots. The hotel told us to try to stay in at night. We did this and never felt unsafe. Again, we were not on a tour.

I've also been to Cambodia and Haiti. I've always followed whatever safety precautions were provided and have never been afraid for my safety.

I do, however, try not to look like an American. No flashy jewelry (I leave everything at home except for a really old timex with a rubber band), no pacsafe bag (I use a small bag and keep most of my money and valuables in a money belt), no large camera (at least not out in the open), no new touristy outfit (For third world countries, I usually go to a thrift shop and buy a bunch of gently used clothes. Once I'm done wearing them, I leave them at the hotel as a donation for someone).

Like everyone has said, it's all a matter of comfort zone.

Last year, I spent a couple of weeks in India for work. I traveled on my own, had a great time and would go back any time.

A few months ago, I was in Thailand during the riots. The hotel told us to try to stay in at night. We did this and never felt unsafe. Again, we were not on a tour.

I've also been to Cambodia and Haiti. I've always followed whatever safety precautions were provided and have never been afraid for my safety.

I do, however, try not to look like an American. No flashy jewelry (I leave everything at home except for a really old timex with a rubber band), no pacsafe bag (I use a small bag and keep most of my money and valuables in a money belt), no large camera (at least not out in the open), no new touristy outfit (For third world countries, I usually go to a thrift shop and buy a bunch of gently used clothes. Once I'm done wearing them, I leave them at the hotel as a donation for someone).
I totally get what you're saying. But for me, that's not a vacation. An excellent learning experience, wonderful if you're going for work or humanitarian reasons, but not a vacation. But that's just me. I totally admit to being a spoiled American. 100%. But I'm not spending thousands of dollars on a vacation to have to live that way. I know lots of people do that, but I'm not one of them. I'm willing to rough it a bit to see some fabulous sights, but there are definite limits to what I'm willing to give up. :confused3

Sayhello

Thanks for sharing! I live for the awesome and wonderous! That was exactly how I felt on our China Adventure this last May/June and am excited to hear Egypt was that for you. Can't wait for Egypt in December 2011!:thumbsup2

(For third world countries, I usually go to a thrift shop and buy a bunch of gently used clothes. Once I'm done wearing them, I leave them at the hotel as a donation for someone).

What a thoughtful and generous idea!

Dotti

I totally get what you're saying. But for me, that's not a vacation. An excellent learning experience, wonderful if you're going for work or humanitarian reasons, but not a vacation. But that's just me. I totally admit to being a spoiled American. 100%. But I'm not spending thousands of dollars on a vacation to have to live that way. I know lots of people do that, but I'm not one of them. I'm willing to rough it a bit to see some fabulous sights, but there are definite limits to what I'm willing to give up. :confused3

Sayhello

I agree! You and I would make excellent vacation buddies :thumbsup2

My, er our :rolleyes1, current plan is Ireland 2012. Adult only if they have one in the summer.
Hmmm.... I'm thinking Hawaii in 2012 with ABD, assuming I don't break down & do it on my own in 2011... But who knows! I'm totally confused right now. No one thing is jumping out at me.

Sayhello

sayhello: Did I ever say I slum it? Absolutely not! I might visit third world countries, but I don't compromise on my comforts. For example, on my trip to Tanzania, I stayed at Ngorogoro Crater Lodge which is now my favorite resort in the world - can you say personal butler who draws your bath with rose petals after your game drive? Here's the link. http://www.andbeyondafrica.com/luxury_safari/tanzania/ngorongoro_crater/and_beyond_ngorongoro_crater

And most of my trips are for vacation. I went to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat - which was so amazing. In Thailand, I visited Chiang Mai, took a Thai cooking lesson, and saw some elephants. There are no ifs, ands, or buts, Haiti was definitely for humanitarian purposes and it was kinda rough for this princess.

sayhello: Did I ever say I slum it? Absolutely not! I might visit third world countries, but I don't compromise on my comforts. For example, on my trip to Tanzania, I stayed at Ngorogoro Crater Lodge which is now my favorite resort in the world - can you say personal butler who draws your bath with rose petals after your game drive? Here's the link. http://www.andbeyondafrica.com/luxury_safari/tanzania/ngorongoro_crater/and_beyond_ngorongoro_crater

And most of my trips are for vacation. I went to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat - which was so amazing. In Thailand, I visited Chiang Mai, took a Thai cooking lesson, and saw some elephants. There are no ifs, ands, or buts, Haiti was definitely for humanitarian purposes and it was kinda rough for this princess.
beachbunny, I guess I definitely misinterpreted your meaning. Because that is definitely not 'slumming it'. :thumbsup2

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter