• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone taken a 2.5 year old - need your help

zulaya

DIS Veteran
I am trying to get my best friend to use the Fairytale Package this fall but her hangup is her 2.5year old. She's not sure she wants to handle him in the parks. Not that he's bad...just 2.5 - energetic, still naps, etc.

I personally haven't taken a 2.5 year old, mainly because when mine were that age we couldn't afford it! So I have no personal experience with this age at the parks.

I think as long as you don't commando it - which doesn't seem to be her style anyway - that they would be fine. The little guy could nap in the stroller if need be, Disney has those nice baby care rooms.

But I can easily see if he doesn't do well in the parks, then everyone else will be miserable.

So, can I hear experiences? Can this work? Or would it be a disaster waiting to happen?

Thanks!

I took my dd when she was about that age. The most important thing to remember is you MUST go at the child's pace and that an afternoon break is a must do. See the characters and rides that they would most enjoy and don't force them into anything that seems scary. My dd is seemingly fearless so we rode everything she was tall enough for and the characters did not freak her out at all. You may not get to ride Space Mtn but seeing the parks thru their eyes for the first time it really doesn't matter at least for me anyway. Besides you most likely can go back when they get a little older:Pinkbounc

I agree, you must make this trip about the child. Ride the rides they want to, see the characters they want to see and DEFINATELY take an afternoon break around the child's usual nap time. I've taken my children at all different ages, starting as young as 4 months and they've done great. We basically visit the parks in the morning, after lunch head back to the resort for a nap and a swim, get dressed for dinner, eat dinner, then visit a park for a couple hours in the evening, being back in our room usually around 9:00 for bed time. This is what works best with little ones, keeping them on their usual schedule, that way they don't get over tired. If your friend is accepting on that, she'll have a GREAT time. My children REFUSED to sleep in their strollers, especially in the heat of the summer, which is why we always take a break.

I think it depends on the child. We went when my dd was 2.5 and had a great time. We went at a slow pace, did what she was interested in, and left the parks when she had enough for the day. In a week long visit, we only saw fireworks once. We weren't staying at WDW so we didn't leave during the day, but we were fortunate that our daughter napped easily in her stroller (we brought ours from home). When she fell asleep, dh and would take advantage of the time to see the things we wanted to see that wouldn't have interested her. We also aren't into roller coasters so we did a minimal amount of baby switching.

We took my older ds when he was 2.5 and he LOVED it. We were fortunate though to have my mom with us, so it was a 3:1 ratio which helped! He was also a PERFECT kid at that age. He loved to sit in the stroller and just watch everything. He wasn't the active type, so he was very easy! When he was tired, he'd just fall asleep in the stroller. We didn't stay out late like we would now (he'll be 8 tomorrow!!) but we saw what we wanted and he got to do quite a bit for a 2.5 year old. He loves watching the video and so do I!!

Hope this helps!

It depends on how the child would handle it. We went when ds4 was around 35 months old (just before that 3rd b-day and FREE!).

We didn't do commando, but we didn't go back to our room during the day either. We also had our ds2 going on 3 at the time (he was 9 mos old then) and they both took naps in the stroller just fine (we rented a Graco duo-glider then).

We took advatage of fast pass, child swap, and definitely those baby care centers at every park we went to! (Of course I was still nursing the 9 mo. old at the time, plus double diaper duty---so we were forced to take breaks in the parks).

Under 3 is a great time to go, they really love it (he still remembers it) and like I mentioned before, they are free! (No extra $$ at buffets, tickets, etc).

This time I'll be 32 wks pregnant, so dh thinks I will need a nap back at the room this time (I'm hoping not, but I'm willing to do it if I feel yucky & worn out). The boys are still good at naps anywhere, so I'm not worried about that at all (they will be 4 & 2 this trip).

Sorry so long, but I hope it helps a little!

We have 2 DD's and they each went to WDW for the first time at 2 1/2 years old.

First of all they are FREE!

Second, I actually thought this was the best age so far because my dd's were the most easy going and not whiny than they are now!!!

They napped in the stroller. We took it easy and spent lots of time in Fantasyland and Toontown.

It's absolutely do-able!

I think the 2.5 year old will have a ball as long as you don't try to do Disney "commando style".

We took my DD when she was 2.5 and even drove. She loved everything about Disney. She even enjoyed herself on the drive down and waiting in line for rides! There are so many things to capture a childs senses at that age that IMHO as long as you take a nice pace things should be fine.

Have a great and safe vacation!

My wife and I took my son when he was just under 3 years. A few months before his 3rd birthday. His last free trip, sigh :-( Anyway Disney is very doable for this age. Listen to what everyone said here, go at their pace. We brought our stroller from home. When my son wanted to get out and walk we let him. He loved the characters, all of the Magic Kingdom, the monorail, and even the tram rides to the park. Typical boy :-)

Take breaks at their normal nap schedule. Even if my son didn't sleep too long the break was still good for him.

To get the little one used to the attractions, start off with Its a Small Word or something tame like that. Use baby swap if you want to ride the thrill rides. Also use fastpass to your advantage.

Yes and it was great. We went when DD was 6 months, 1 1/2, and 2 1/2. I also brought my own stroller. My DD was afraid of the characters so 2 years in a row I cancelled Chef Mickey's. Just remember to pack the childs favorite treats for snacking in the parks. My daughter did all the rides she was big enough for, covering her eyes once in a while.:eek: I say go for it and have a great time. :D

Originally posted by Gette88
Yes and it was great. We went when DD was 6 months, 1 1/2, and 2 1/2. I also brought my own stroller. My DD was afraid of the characters so 2 years in a row I cancelled Chef Mickey's. Just remember to pack the childs favorite treats for snacking in the parks. My daughter did all the rides she was big enough for, covering her eyes once in a while.:eek: I say go for it and have a great time. :D

We ended up doing a character breakfast & lunch (Donald's Breakfastasaurus & Crystal Palace). Both DS's enjoyed and weren't scared. However, now DS (who's almost 2) freaks out at Chuck E. Cheese, unless he's a good distance away. We are still doing Crystal Palace, but we will warn the characters beforehand just in case he freaks out.

We took our almost 2 year old to WDW last year and she had a blast! I was very concered about taking her when she was that young, but after seeing her there I would do it again in a heartbeat. We're going again this Oct. she'll turn 3 in Aug.

No, she doesn't remember a lot, she does remember some though, comes up with goofy things some times, which is how I know she remembers the trip. But even if she remembered nothing I have my memories.

She loved all the rides, even ones like HM and SWSA. She had a great time playing with Pooh, Tiger and Eeyore at the Crystal Palace.

She is pretty high energy too, but was very easy to take care of there. She mostly rode in her stroller, but if there was an area that wasn't too crowded I'd let her run a bit.

She fell asleep in her stroller and took about a two hour nap in the afternoons. We then used that time to rest, shop or have a treat while she slept.

We did things at her pace, not commando style, and saw almost everything we wanted to see. This trip was in June, very crowded, very hot and humid.

I also think if your staying on-site it would be a lot easier, we're doing that this year. Last year we were off-site and so we couldn't take breaks in the afternoon, but it still wasn't a problem.

Pammy

Our DD went on her second WDW just two months after turning two and again at almost 2 1/2 - she had a blast each time!!:)

Our schedule was early wake up and at the parks for EE (she's up early anyway so we mine as well be there for EE) eat lunch in the parks and then head back to our resort. At our resort we'd all take a nap or one of us would stay with DD while the other went off exploring on their own and then we'd all head to the pool for an afternoon swim. DD LOVES to swim so we often went out to dinner or ate at the resort and then headed back for a night swim. Since we used EE and were able to hit all of our "must-sees" we did not have to worry about going back into the parks in the evening if she still wanted to swim. A few nights we did manage to go back into a park for fireworks and parade and one night we went to DTD which DD calls the "Mickey Mall."

It really is magical to see WDW through the eyes of a little one. Our DD was just delighted and enchanted by the parades and fireworks. She however did not like Illuminations - that giant fireball in the opening made her scream!! So we've never attempted Fantasmic with her and probably won't until she's much older!! Our DD really like character interaction so we have done quite a few character meals and meet and greets in the parks. At home she adores the framed pictures I have up of her meeting Cinderella, Minnie and Mickey.

As others have posted under three is free which is a terrific deal b/c they can really enjoy soooooo much of WDW! They also eat free at character meals and buffets. And our DD is not a picky eater so she had a child portion at each character meal/buffet and we paid nothing. :)

Hope you can convine your friend to go!! I know she'll have a great time if they do!

We took our dd at 21 months. I wasn't sure what to expect. We stayed at the Poly so we could be close to MK, which I figured she would like best. We even bought the 4 day FL resident special in case she just hated it, then we wouldn't be out the AP money.

Well, low and behold, she loved it! She loved most characters (wasn't sure about Goofy and any face characters) but LOVED Mickey Mouse. We ended up upgrading to the AP and go quite frequently (we live 1 hour away).

Now she is almost 2.5 and we leave tomorrow for three days over there and she is so excited. All she talked about all weekend was going to see Mickey Mouse.

She rode everything she was tall enough to ride (on her birthday, she rode the roller coaster in toon town and loved it). And has now warmed up to Goofy and LOVES Stitch!!

On the other hand, we are going tomorrow with my sis-in-law and her 2 month old and 3 yr old. The 3 yr old is high maintenance and I am not sure how she will do. At least we have seperate rooms so they can chill out more if they need to while we do our thing....

And as others have said before it is an experience in and of itself to see it through there eyes. Growing up near Disney I went a lot and did Night of Joy almost every year, but going with my dd was like I never have been there before. It was awesome!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter