AOA: Mermaid room?

StelmackFamily

Earning My Ears
I have 2 DD age 5.5 and turning 8 on the trip :) Any advice on which building or floor to request?? or advice on the resort in general. Will we be happy with this resort with 2 young girls???

very happy! Little Mermaid building is the farthest from the bus stop. I will suggest to ask for a ground floor room to minimize the walk. Have a great trip!

There really aren't many differences in location for the three mermaid buildings, so I'm not sure it really matters which building you request -- they're all the farthest from the main building. As PP suggested, ground floor may be a good request and perhaps a corner room so you don't have people on both sides of you contributing to noise levels.

We've stayed at AoA with our two little girls who were 2 and 5 at the time and they loved it. It's a really beautifully themed resort, but I don't think we'll stay there again. I just didn't like how far the mermaid rooms were. I know in the grand scheme of things that a five minute (or so) walk at the end of the night isn't that huge of a deal, but it felt like it after a full day in the parks while carrying two sleeping children. Just my opinion! They do have great pools and a great food court, though!

I think you'll love the resort. My son, seven, really, really liked the pool area. And just in general, walking into each of the themed areas was enough to occupy several hours for us. We typically stay at the Beach Club, but if my son had his druthers we'd be at AoA every time.

As @SarahC97 said, the buildings are all pretty much the same. My son noticed that as you walk into the Mermaid area the building on your left is the "good guy" building and the building on right is the "bad guy" building.

I have no input on floor.

And yes, as everyone will tell you, it is the farthest section. But I mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. You get the added bonus of walking through the Lion King theming on the way to your buildings, which my son really enjoyed. And note there is a short cut of sorts to/from the bus stop, where you can bypass the main building and go directly to your room, cutting off a few minutes.

The biggest downside of the resort is the food court, often a calamitous mess.

Last edited:

:welcome:
I think you will be happy with it. My daughters' both loved it when we stayed there. Overall we enjoyed it enough that we are staying there again in August.

@SarahC97 makes a good point about the distance to the bus / food court not being much in the grand scheme of things, but that doesn't mean a whole lot at the end of the night. That being said, we had a car and were able to park close to our building, so we didn't have as many of those end of night walks.

Choosing building 7 or 9 might get you slightly closer to Animation Hall, but not by much. We had a ground floor room right near the pool and had no noise issues. In our case the ground floor was beneficial because we had a stroller that we then didn't have to worry about carrying up and down the stairs...which may or may not be an issue for you.

The food court can get crowded, but the food was always decent. And the theming of the resort, well, I don't think it can be beat!

Hope your trip goes great!!! :tigger:

Thanks for the input! I feel like the theme of the hotel will make a great vacation for my girls! We intend to spend most of the days in the parks, we do have one pool/rest day in the schedule. We are also driving , so we can always drive to the parks if we feel its necessary.

Either Triton or Ursula buildings (7 or 9). Both of those are slightly closer to the main building than Ariel (8). Ground floor makes the walk a bit easier. I personally didn't mind the walk. It's neat to walk through the Lion King section along the way.

The theming is amazing.

We stayed in the Ursula building and loved it. Didn’t mind the walk at all - cool stuff to see on the way. If you’d be carrying sleeping kids though that might be rough.

We have stayed in Little Mermaid rooms at AOA the past five trips. My girls age 8 & 13 ask to stay there as we have enjoyed the resort that much. The theming is so in depth and truly carries over the park experience to the hotel. We have stayed in all three buildings with Ursula being our best location. The pools are great and the Little Mermaid one is much quieter than the Big Blue Pool. The landscaping is neat because it matches the building areas to make it feel more immersive. After five stays, I can say the walk to the room isn't so bad especially in consideration of the park mileage. Walking thru the Lion King section is a favorite part with the little bone yard cave. We bring a collapsible drink carrier to carry the mugs back. The food court has a large amount of different food choices that it can be overwhelming. The staff is quite friendly. We had no issues with housekeeping except they came early in Ursula for some reason. Bus service was very reliable with many of the double buses for Magic Kingdom. They will leave plenty of towels for you to use at the pool too.
You will love it I'm sure and soon it will be "home"!

Questions for LM rooms: 1. The refrigerator ... appear to be your basic mini frig 2-3 cu. ft. Does it have a freezer section? 2. Coffee makers ... Keurig or some other style of coffee pod / pack. Thanks.

We stayed at AoA in the LM rooms last March. We all really enjoyed it there. The walk was long, but filled with lots of eye-candy. The grounds are gorgeous.
The kids liked the pools. i wish we could have had more swimming time.

Having said that, we likely wont stay there again. It was expensive, and I really just wanted to stay once for the experience. If we don't stay at the fort campground on our next trip, it will be the Pop.
But again, we really liked AoA. If it weren't so expensive we would go back. I do recommend it.

I will be going in June 18-22 with the family. Staying in the mermaid room. Not too worried about the walk. I did hear on a post on facebook that they will be doing some rehab work on the rooms. This will include adding coffee makers. Not sure when this will happen. Was said in 2018.

Since you will have a car, recommend a building closest to the parking lot. I'm not a fan of rooms above the first floor because the odd layout of the value buildings can be very confusing and you'll get turned around quite a bit. Getting a first floor room will ease that confusion, I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter