APRIL 2022 W.I.S.H. - Springing into healthy living

Self care right now is centered around getting the car taken care of. It’s been on my to do list for a long time and not doing it has been a burden.

Today I’m doing a practice run for Easter Brunch and making a Dutch Baby. Last one I did didn’t come out right, so my confidence is a bit shook. I’m also doing odds and ends of chores and then this evening I’ll make a list of the left overs to tackle during the week, so that there’s little to nothing left to do Saturday.

Self care today was sleeping until almost 8! (Tell me you have young kids without telling me you have young kids) Probably would have slept even later but DS9 called to say good morning just before 8. DH and I saw DEAR EVAN HANSEN last night, we laughed, we cried, we agreed not to watch the movie so it doesn't destroy our memory of the amazing play....no offense if you liked it. The play was just SO good.
After the show we got some late night food. I took some cold meds and bam I was down for the count.
There is nothing like medicine induced sleep while knowing your kids are safely tucked in at their grandparents house! It's like double the tranquility.
Minor self care item was saving myself time and stress for Easter dinner. We are hosting again and have plans the night before. Rather than stress myself out day of I actually ordered pre-cooked chicken from grocery store along with some of their sauces. Doing a super simple ham in a soda glaze. All of the sides I can make the day before and assemble in the morning. I did a curbside pick up order for tomorrow for everything but the veggies so that'll be all I need to get during the week.

Disney World
I try to buy a new pair of earrings every time we go and DH always buys a pin with the year on it.
Space Mtn, Test Track, Tower of Terror and Everest--yes. i am a thrill seeking girl.
My newest item that I am treasuring because it bring me so much joy is a sticker of Gus and Jacques with the key running to a mouse hole. I have it discreetly tucked on the baseboard and it's not something one would notice right away. I love it.

I haven't left the house today. Seems weird but I have had a very, very quiet day and I just love it! I was going to do yardwork, but the temperature never got out of the 40s so I said nope.

Forgot what I had planned for tonight's dinner and that was not a good thing because it needed to cook a couple hours. Got a whopper junior instead and then made the dinner. So tomorrow's dinner is done!

Social Saturday Disney Survey

1. Walt Disney World or Disneyland? Disney World. I have never been to DL but really want to go

2. The first Disney movie you remember seeing in the theaters? Maybe Little Mermaid. We didn't go to the movies often when I was younger

3. What type of Disney item do you collect the most? (Pins, Vinylmation, dolls, etc.) Mugs. I started this in middle school.

4. Favorite attraction/ride at the parks?

• Magic Kingdom: Its a Small World. More for nostalgia. I loved it on my first trip in 5th grade
  • Epcot: The old Figment ride
  • Hollywood Studios: Toy Story Mania. I haven't been since all the new rides
  • Animal Kingdom: Safari

5. What’s your most treasured Disney item? I don't know. I have a bag I got in like 6th grade. Bought it myself from the Disney store. I still have it and it is still in great condition for being 30ish years old and was my main bag that I used to back to go to my dads every other weekend and to sleepovers.

6. Which Disney voice actor would you most like to meet? Tom Hanks or Tim Allen​

7. If you could say anything to Walt Disney right now, what would it be? I am not sure.​

8. Your favorite snack to get at the parks? (Churros, Mickey’s Ice Cream Bars, etc.) We don't eat snacks really. I do like to get an Icee (when I can find one) on hot days.​

9. Your favorite parade/show at the parks? The mid day one at MK​

10. Do you have a favorite pair of Mickey ears? I don't have any.​

Talking of literal dreams I had a strange one last night, involving Laura and George Bush. I half expected to wake up and find out one of them had passed away.

As to which of my life dreams/goals am I going to use for motivation this week... I'm going to focus on having a lovely home and feeling/looking younger. The house one is well in hand with the work I've been doing, just need to stay focused. As for feeling/looking younger, I need to get myself moving more and eating better. The sun is now coming up early enough to get out for pre-work walks, but it is rather nasty outside this morning, so that isn't happening today. Hopefully by lunchtime it will be better,

We had a good weekend this weekend. DD had her ups and downs but seems to have had a good weekend and did a bit of her old self. She is attached at my hip and wouldn't let me go shopping for the Easter baskets. So I let her come with me and she got to pick out what she wanted. They are old enough that it was not a big deal. We watched a lot of NCIS this weekend and also did some relaxing. We did celebrate DS's birthday on Friday. We went out to eat on Friday and then had cake. This was a new restaurant to us and I ended up with stomach issues all weekend. I am pretty sure that what I had had MSG in it. I haven't been like this since I stopped eating MSG almost a year ago.

I joined a 10,000 step goal per day challenge on Facebook. I am hoping that this will be motivation for the next month.

TUESDAY TOPIC

One of the (many) books on my to-be-read pile is Brene Brown's new book: Atlas of the Heart. The chapters are titled "Places we go..." and cover topics like "... when things are uncertain", "... when we compare", "... when things aren't what they seem". When browsing the book looking for a topic for today, the chapter "Places we go when life is good" jumped out at me: the places she lists are:

Joy... an intense feeling of deep spiritual connection, pleasure and appreciation
Happiness... feeling pleasure often related to the immediate environment or current circumstances
Calm...creating perspective and mindfulness while managing emotional reactivity
Contentment... the feeling of completeness,
appreciation and "enough-ness" that we experience when our needs
are met.

Gratitude... reflection of our deep application for what we value, what brings meaning to our lives and what
makes us feel connected.

Foreboding Joy... fear of leaning in to good news, wonderful moments and joy
Relief... feeling safe and able to rest

Tranquility... the absence of demand, no pressure to do any thing

Wow, what a list, what do you think about the emotions she's included? And it got me to thinking... how do we go to those places when we're not sure life is good? We have our Gratitude exercises, but what exercises would we do to get to a state of Contentment, Relief or Tranquility?

1649729590824.png

It took me awhile to get back on track after the hospital and in fact I had to go to the doctor and take some sick leave to look after myself but I am starting to feel better.

I tracked consistently last 8 days, including the day my son had birthday! He is 15. It's hard to believe I am grown up enough to have 15 year old day

WW left Ireland last year and they were never good having their book for sale here. I miss their magazine and to get inspired I ordered few of the edition magazines form Amazon US and few books through mail postal service in UK and as they were all books I didn't have to pay extra taxes on arrival. I haven't followed WW but their recipes are really great, pity they stopped the magazine and it's so hard to get my hands on any of the books here.

Hopefully I start seeing the results on the scale again!

Wow, what a list, what do you think about the emotions she's included? And it got me to thinking... how do we go to those places when we're not sure life is good? We have our Gratitude exercises, but what exercises would we do to get to a state of Contentment, Relief or Tranquility?

I think it's a good list, and like that she separated things out. (For instance, joy, happiness, and contentment are all related, but kind of differ inversely by intensity and duration.)

I was a little uncomfortable with the "foreboding joy" category, though.

Getting to these places in difficult times was definitely tested during the early days of the pandemic. I think "leaning in" to being home, even in small ways, helped many people - taking up old hobbies, decluttering their houses, recapturing family time from formerly overscheduled lives.

As for exercises, I definitely think gratitude is the key to the others, and contentment flows most directly from that. - When you notice the things you're grateful for, you remember that you do have enough.

I'm not sure I can come up with an exercise exactly for relief. - I think it just comes naturally after stressful times (and I certainly wouldn't create stress just to feel relief.)

But for tranquility, I think the exercise is to drop things - to look around around (at your space, at your commitments, at how you spend your time) and consciously let go of the things that aren't serving you anymore.

I think it's a good list, and like that she separated things out. (For instance, joy, happiness, and contentment are all related, but kind of differ inversely by intensity and duration.)

I was a little uncomfortable with the "foreboding joy" category, though.

Getting to these places in difficult times was definitely tested during the early days of the pandemic. I think "leaning in" to being home, even in small ways, helped many people - taking up old hobbies, decluttering their houses, recapturing family time from formerly overscheduled lives.

As for exercises, I definitely think gratitude is the key to the others, and contentment flows most directly from that. - When you notice the things you're grateful for, you remember that you do have enough.

I'm not sure I can come up with an exercise exactly for relief. - I think it just comes naturally after stressful times (and I certainly wouldn't create stress just to feel relief.)

But for tranquility, I think the exercise is to drop things - to look around around (at your space, at your commitments, at how you spend your time) and consciously let go of the things that aren't serving you anymore.
It's so true about 'leaning in' to being at home during the early days of the pandemic, and the fundamental changes it brought to our lives.

I also liked the subtle differences she describes between the different emotions, it really got me to pause and think about them. 'Foreboding joy' did click with me... I used to think my karma was that when things got good bad would follow. Over the years I came to realize this was an after affect of growing up in an alcoholic household where things did get bad on a regular basis, and I've let this mindset go.

As for exercises or practices we can adopt to light up those emotions when things may not be all that good, being out in nature was the first thing that came to mind. The places that transport me the most are the beach at Ft Warden in Port Townsend and the
Willapa Bay side of the peninsula that Long Beach is on... even just thinking about them helps me to relax and release.

Last edited:
It took me awhile to get back on track after the hospital and in fact I had to go to the doctor and take some sick leave to look after myself but I am starting to feel better.

I tracked consistently last 8 days, including the day my son had birthday! He is 15. It's hard to believe I am grown up enough to have 15 year old day

WW left Ireland last year and they were never good having their book for sale here. I miss their magazine and to get inspired I ordered few of the edition magazines form Amazon US and few books through mail postal service in UK and as they were all books I didn't have to pay extra taxes on arrival. I haven't followed WW but their recipes are really great, pity they stopped the magazine and it's so hard to get my hands on any of the books here.

Hopefully I start seeing the results on the scale again!
Glad to hear you are starting to feel better.

how do we go to those places when we're not sure life is good? We have our Gratitude exercises, but what exercises would we do to get to a state of Contentment, Relief or Tranquility?
Also a child and sister of an alcoholic, I have trouble trusting and fear that when things are "good," the other shoe is going to drop. I try very hard to fight those feelings and instead try to have faith. I'm learning that worry is nothing but a waste of time.

I constantly seek tranquility. I find it at the ocean most often. I go to the spa, but it's hard to turn off my brain as the aestheticians talk a lot and I never fully relax. Even when I get acupuncture and massage at the chiropractor, everyone is chatty. Sometimes silence is all I need. Prayer gives me a strong sense of relief.

Hello Friends!!! Seems like everyone is doing well so far this week and over the weekend!

Sadly, my car started having sympathy pains for @Oneanne car (LOL) on Friday.

Luckily my middle son is a mechanic and told me to bring it straight in…which I didn’t do 😬. Instead I went to the spca to volunteer, drove DD to/from 2 different art programs, did my puppy adoptions Saturday morning and then dropped my car off…

My son almost had a fit after finding I had a loose belt and all 4 of my tires were worn uneven and basically trashed. So I had no car Saturday, Sunday and yesterday while my son waited to the tires to come in and did the work on it that needed some.

Luckily it’s all fixed now and my car is perfect. My bank account is now far from perfect though 😂

My fosters adoptions went so great, they were adopted by wonderful families. To make it even better-they only live ONE MILE from one another ❤️ The adopters are going to meet up half way and walk the boys together!! I could not be happier!

For self care Sunday I slept until 845!!! Amazing!! Motivation this week is healthy eating and exercise every day leading up to Easter so I can indulge that day without guilt!

Got my grocery pick up orders together for tomorrow, hoping they have everything I need for Easter dinner/dessert. Hosting for 20 people!!! I had a dream last night that I forgot to cook the entire meal!!

Woohoo... after four weeks of End-to-End testing, where all the teams/applications involved in the project I'm working on have validate that their system does what it is supposed to do, we finally broke thru yesterday and completed most of our test scenarios. Monday it had really hit me what a burden this has been and how tired I am, so it is a huge relief to almost be done.

Woohoo... the house is almost ready for Easter Brunch. Looking forward to having everyone over.

Woohoo... kind of a backwards one but yesterday the hotel I stay at when I'm at the ocean/beach posted about the snow flurries happening in the area (I follow them on IG), and it occurred to me that if I had gone down there Sun-Weds as planned, it would have been so cold and nasty that I would have gotten very little out-of-doors time which was a major reason for going.

I made two lovely recipes from one of the ww edition magazines. Bot from the instant pot - chicken shawarma and beef & broccoli with soy sauce and sesame seeds. So easy and so tasty. I wish I can get the proper cookbooks too but happy with what I got.

I also made lovely carrot cake cupcakes form Krisin Cavallari book. I am not a fan fo hers or familiar with her that much but got the book on recommendation adn the carrot cake cupcakes while tiny are flour free, and lovely flavor for 140 cal.

Only trouble is hard to stop at one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter