Are you a good "dieter"?

Beezle2

Hi-Yah!
I am not.. I swear I am SO annoyed by food tracking and the whole calorie counting torture. I AM a good exerciser. I love weight lifting, hot yoga, walking, biking. I used to love running but my knees are having none of that these days.

My mid life crisis was losing 50 lbs on keto and weight training and getting in amazing shape. Like many others though, some of the weight has crept back on and I find myself searching for motivation again.

How are you doing? Same? Do either food or exercise seem to be a harder problem?

Food is always the issue for me. I enjoy exercise, but I just like to eat a little too much.

I have always been able to drop weight if I get disciplined with my diet.

I can honestly say I’m pretty good about watching what I eat and how much of what I eat. If I feel like I’m getting off track I start using My Fitness Pal again and I quickly get back into my program.

I’m good about working out - I love working out. I exercise approximately 6 hours a week. In fact, I’m leaving soon for the gym.

I’ve always struggled with weight - my entire life. At one point, when I was 25, I went on a nonfat diet and it messed up my entire system - my gallbladder had to come out and my liver was affected - I was in the hospital for a week. I do think I had a bit of an eating disorder because I was so fixated with losing weight and working out way more than I do now.

Still today I’m not as fixated as I was back then, but I still think about food all the time. I read labels and if something has way to many fat and carbs it’s a big ❌ for me. I’m constantly trying to balance my food - if I’m having a slice of birthday cake tonight then I need to eat very little calories for breakfast and lunch. I’m constantly doing this. It’s kind of mentally exhausting.

My DH and DD20 both gain weight easily too, so therefore I buy very little treats for us - you can’t eat it if you don’t buy it. I love ice cream, but I almost never bring it in the house unless it’s DQ Dilly Bars because they are small and not many calories - they are just enough for an ice cream fix.

If I had a magic lamp with a genie, and I could get 3 wishes, one of my wishes would be to eat anything I want, whenever I want, for the rest of my life and never gain weight. Since that will never happen, I just keep on keeping on - LOL!

I used to be super disciplined when it came to dieting. But I’ve lost my willpower and motivation. Exercise is still easy and enjoyable. I just eat too much.

I need a jolt/trigger to get started again. Years ago, a neighbour stopped by and said, “Whoah! You’ve gained weight.” Those words were like a slap in the face. I loathed her. But it was the kickstart I needed to lose the weight. Unfortunately, over the years it started to creep back on.

Maybe I’ll stop by her place so she can insult me again. Lol.

Weight has always been a struggle for me. Back in 2019 I has weight loss surgery but last year I've gained some weight so I'm working to get that off. I started with the Keto diet but I had a lot of trouble following that for portion size and amount. I switched over to Weight Watchers and hoping this will help. I feel that I'm a lot more concious of what I'm eating lately.

I have been on WW for 14 months. I am 72 and have always been a very slower loser. I am down around 25 pounds and am trying to maintain that weight loss. I could use to lose maybe ten more pounds, but it doesn’t seem to be happening. I weigh, measure and track, but, wow, it’s a struggle. I have started walking on a treadmill at Planet Fitness, so maybe that will help a little.

I am trying to make this a lifestyle, rather than a diet. Life is short and I want to enjoy it. I do not diet on vacation. If I go out with a friend on the weekend, I enjoy a cocktail or wine and don’t pay too much attention to what I’m eating. If I can maintain the 25 pound loss living this way, then I can do it.

Losing weight is hard. No doubt about it.

I think food is harder for most people because it's something that you have to keep attending to throughout the day. If you get up and do a good workout to start the day, you know you're hitting your movement goals. Maybe you also take a walk at lunch, but once you've done the main activity for the day, you can essentially just be and that's ok. Sitting down on the couch at the end of the night can't undo a day's worth of good activity.

Reducing food intake means having lots of hunger urges (and boredom urges, and emotional urges) throughout the day and having to make the choice each time to have the healthier snack, drink some water, consider whether you're actually hungry or if you're using food to address some other need. And, you can do great all day long and then completely overdo it on the couch at the end of the night and lose your calorie deficit.

For the food thing, that's why shopping and meal prep can be so important. At least, if you have the chopped veggies in the fridge, then you can pop them out and snack on them without it requiring extra work. I mean, it's still the mental work of eating broccoli instead of something salty and fatty, but it's not also extra physical labor in the moment. The more you can make lower calorie foods the default, the better you can do on this front.

Food is always the issue for me. I enjoy exercise, but I just like to eat a little too much.

I have always been able to drop weight if I get disciplined with my diet.
See, I am the opposite. I can handle the food side okay, but I absolutely loathe exercise in any form. I wish I didn’t, but I do. So it’s nearly impossible to keep up the motivation to work out when all it does is make me miserable and cranky. I have always been envious of people who say working out fills them with feel good endorphins. That is an experience I have never had, even if I exercise for a while.

I was the kid who sat under a tree with a good book instead of running around the neighborhood. I am still that kid at heart.

I really think it is about figuring out what works for each individual as we are all different. For me cutting all processed foods, sugar, and simply carbs works. For others it may be something else. Having healthy snacks in the house is a wonderful suggestion from earlier in this thread.

I have been doing a little fresh fruit with some Greek yogurt and a little honey and protein granola as a sweet snack. It’s very good and much better than a 9pm pint of ice cream.

I always have raw carrots and celery around and I love both of those too.

Beef jerky is salty for sure (so watch that), but can be a great snack that won’t destroy your nutrition ratios for the day.

I don't really diet but just try to limit carbs and sugar. I gave up drinking a year ago and that has helped a lot.
Agree ...reduce carb/sugar intake and you will lose weight. There are so many good reduced carb options/recipes out there right now -use an "eat this, not that" mentality

I do well when I am on a diet. Staying on the diet, however isn't easy. I lost 40 pounds due to an illness 3 years ago. I have put about 20 pounds back on. To be honest, to be heavy and healthy right now is more important than losing weight.

I had no weight issues until I got pregnant with my twins and gained 64 pounds. I lost all of the extra weight on the old WW. I kept the weight off until after menopause and now I am no longer at my ideal weight but am not morbidly obese. I am trying to lose about 15 pounds just to feel better in my clothes.

Over the years, I have seen WW change their plan over and over, but I think the old plan is still the best one. It is very easy to do -- no calorie counting and no points. I am glad I kept the literature.

Terrible at dieting. I finally gave up and realized I will always be about 20 pounds over what would be ideal. But I’m healthy, active, love sports, try to wear flattering and youthful clothes for my age (74). And I refuse to give up my red wine or good food. For me, I’ve decided life is too short to worry about it anymore. No one cares about my chubby thighs but me. And my husband still calls me cute, I’m blessed.

Never depended on a diet that required counting calories or weighing portions; the most structured weight loss regime I ever did was Atkins and it worked perfectly with some modifications (can’t eat canned chicken or “energy bars”) for my mindset. I dislike exercise for the sake of movement but I have enjoyed activities that keep my bod fit like swimming, hiking and cycling.

Lost mobility on the right side of my body at the end of 2021 and it is now a constant battle to maintain my pre stroke weight and level of fitness.
Going to a new rehab center today and hope their assessed goals meet the ones in my head cuz I don’t want no stinking wheelchair for life - doesn’t make the fashion statement I want🤣

I should point out that my definition of diet is not exclusive to weight loss and more in line with what is needed to keep my life’s engine chugging along. So my “diet” excludes most overly processed foods and food stuff, unhealthy amts of salt and sugar etc.

I don't "diet" or think there is one silver bullet way to eat out there but I am conscious of what I put in my body and I move a lot.

My philosophy on eating is to eat real food, lots of plants, and avoid added sugar pretty strictly. If I had to choose an author that most closely fits my philosophy it would either be Michael Pollan or Mark Hyman. They aren't dogmatic and talk about the difference between food and boxed industrial creations. I also think it is important to understand eating, and health in general, is a process and not some checklist that requires no time or effort.

I've never fluctuated more than 5 pounds in my adult life so it has worked for me.

I have been on WW for 14 months. I am 72 and have always been a very slower loser. I am down around 25 pounds and am trying to maintain that weight loss. I could use to lose maybe ten more pounds, but it doesn’t seem to be happening. I weigh, measure and track, but, wow, it’s a struggle. I have started walking on a treadmill at Planet Fitness, so maybe that will help a little.

I am trying to make this a lifestyle, rather than a diet. Life is short and I want to enjoy it. I do not diet on vacation. If I go out with a friend on the weekend, I enjoy a cocktail or wine and don’t pay too much attention to what I’m eating. If I can maintain the 25 pound loss living this way, then I can do it.

Losing weight is hard. No doubt about it.
I could have written this. Same age. Same weight loss. Been on WW about the same amount of time. Only thing is I don't do the treadmill. We do try to walk every day. I do the same on vacation and weekends. I continue to track my intake and also weigh myself everyday just to keep accountability.

I don't "diet" because I think of diets as temporary. I had a lifestyle change several years ago and have stuck to it as if my life depended on it - because it did. Where I am a slacker is exercise. I just cant get started or stick to it at all. about 22 years ago, I lost 60 ponds by swimming and walking inessentially so that I could increase my chances of getting pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy (I did, he's awesome).

Now, I use my physical limitations as an excuse even though there are exercises I could be doing.

I’m pretty good about both, but I don’t “diet.”During Covid I got serious about my health and dropped 70 pounds counting calories and moving. No food is off limits. I am a vegetarian. I’ve used MyFitnessPal for ages and I have a Fitbit. I’ve been running (no races) for about 2 years. Knock your formal exercise out early in the day and keep moving. Exercise and logging my food are essential habits just like brushing my teeth.

I’ll be 58 next week and I want to be able to move quickly as I get older.

I enjoy exercise, but finding the time these days is the challenge. I left the house to drive to the office around 6:30am, I'm heading home midday to finish the workday at home but still logging out early for a choir rehearsal around 4pm, and my younger one has school ball tonight which is bound to go until at least 9pm. I used to wake up around 5am to workout, but it hit a point where it became so draining. Ultimately, it's food and moving around during the workday that get me. I added a standing/walking desk in my home office which helps some, but food is still my nemesis. I've had some successful stints with diet modification, but it's been pretty much impossible to maintain because nobody around me watches what they eat. I know it's on me, but when it comes to family meals, dining out, and provisions during tournament weekends...it always feels like an uphill battle. I lost a tremendous amount of weight between 2018-2020 between going gluten free, dairy free and amping up my workout routine. It just wasn't sustainable. Now here I am in 2024 and I'm back where I started. I was hoping the walking desk would help, but it's so hard to coordinate typing and walking. I'm not sure who these people are that think it makes them focus more, because it is one big distraction. Standing is decent, but the walking...going to have to just use it to walk while watching tv or listening to music...especially since it gets so hot here. I think we're supposed to be around 90 later on this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter