Are you a sarcastic person?

Are you a sarcastic person and do you find sarcasm to be humorous?
I try not to be. Try hard. It's tempting (and often way too easy) to "fire one off" for a cheap laugh but it often sounds mean-spirited. It's a quality I find very obnoxious in others too. The older I get, the more I agree with my mother - if you can't say something nice...:rolleyes1

I'm Canadian...from the prairies, in case that makes a difference. I think we have a special kind of sarcasm bred into us. It is a part of our pattern of speech, but it isn't the "mean" kind of sarcasm that I hear some people use. Any sarcasm that is hurtful to somebody, I don't find amusing at all, however Canadian sarcasm can be hilarious. It instills a sort of camaraderie at times. I wish I could define it better, but it is something I notice when we switch geographic regions, even across the U.S. My friend from Minnesota had "it," but people in California and Oregon didn't really get "it." I have been told by more than one person that they can tell when I start being truly friendly with someone because I start "joking" with them. What they refer to as joking is what I would call call Canadian sarcasm and it only works if the person you are saying it to is receptive to the way in which the statement is delivered.

I'm Canadian...from the prairies, in case that makes a difference. I think we have a special kind of sarcasm bred into us. It is a part of our pattern of speech, but it isn't the "mean" kind of sarcasm that I hear some people use. Any sarcasm that is hurtful to somebody, I don't find amusing at all, however Canadian sarcasm can be hilarious. It instills a sort of camaraderie at times. I wish I could define it better, but it is something I notice when we switch geographic regions, even across the U.S. My friend from Minnesota had "it," but people in California and Oregon didn't really get "it." I have been told by more than one person that they can tell when I start being truly friendly with someone because I start "joking" with them. What they refer to as joking is what I would call call Canadian sarcasm and it only works if the person you are saying it to is receptive to the way in which the statement is delivered.
I think the term you're looking for is "satirical" rather than sarcastic. And often inside jokes amongst those of us who "get it" make us feel like we're all in it together, eh? :goodvibes

I have a dry sense of humor that comes off sarcastic sometimes, and I probably am sarcastic to a degree, but I'm rarely mean spirited, except against bigots - they get what they get from me.

I try to be really good on the Dis.

I'll tell you something that makes me nuts though - people who say they are "fluent in sarcasm" on their dating profiles...but that's a different thing and just the tip of that iceberg.

Having a sarcastic mind is exhausting when everyone else is so serious. Yes, I'm sarcastic, I love to laugh & find sarcasm humorous

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter