Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert

Are you an Introvert or Extrovert?

• Total voters

Scootin'By

DIS Veteran
I've noticed in reading through training journals and race recaps that it seems like a lot of us are introverts. It makes sense to me since running is sort of a solitary past time (it's definitely my quiet place), but according to some sources, only about 1/3rd of the US population is introverted. So I wanted to conduct some unscientific research and find out whether runners meet this average or whether they're more likely to be an introvert.

To level set, here are the two definitions I'll use (both from WebMD):

Introvert - An introvert is a person who feels more comfortable focusing on their inner thoughts and ideas, rather than what’s happening externally. They enjoy spending time with just one or two people, rather than large groups or crowds.

Extrovert - An extrovert is a person who may have an outgoing personality and feels comfortable and even excited in group settings. People who are extroverts tend to be very talkative, sociable, and active.

So, do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?

I am an introvert who ends up sometimes having FOMO about the stuff that the extroverts do, but is too lazy? self-centered? to do anything about it. (And will now spend the $$ saved on therapy for that revelation to do something fun....by myself 😁 )

Weirdly, however, when at Disney, I have no issues talking to people (much to the chagrin of my kids, back when we went together)

Last edited:
I'm an introverted extrovert. And extroverted introvert?

I can do either, but big groups can be exhausting. If we tie that back to race weekends (and the meetups) I will say that it's pretty easy to find smaller pockets of people to interact with because I am pretty sure there is a healthy number of introverts in here. For example, at HH during MW we started with one group at/around a table, and then it kind of grew and expanded and there was a larger group standing and talking, and a smaller group talking at the table still. Super easy to decide which one you wanted "in" on. And the pre-race meetups tend to be more of a "drop in" and informal with a lot of smaller side conversations. (And this is why even introverts should come to the meetups. ;) )

Also, x2 on what jmasgat said about the FOMO about things extroverts do....but I just don't want to put on real pants to leave the house. :rotfl2:

I'm a bit of both. I am at home on stage performing in front of hundreds, yet I am more comfortable in a social setting of a small group. I am the kind of person that wants to make sure everyone is having a good time and when there's too many people, I can't do take care of everyone.
I want to go out and spend time with a group of friends in a bar, but yet every time the opportunity comes up, I stay home.
However, I'll go to Disney by myself and have a wonderful time, even if the park is at capacity.
I think I'm just weird. :rotfl:

I'm an extrovert with a bit of social anxiety. Once I'm out, I enjoy socializing and getting to know people. But I often have to talk myself out of bailing at the last second. That's why I volunteer to make meetup signs and help organize gatherings, because it gives me extra incentive to be there.

And much like @Chuckers I have no anxiety about performing or speaking in front of large groups, and want to be sure everybody has fun at the smaller events.

For the "a little bit of both" crowd I've heard the term for you is ambivert.

I'm what I call an "outgoing introvert" meaning that I really enjoy doing things with other people and the group size doesn't matter, but I need time alone to recharge after I do something highly social. Like, if I have a really busy weekend full of people, then it is highly likely that the next day I will talk to nobody so I can recharge. Solo runs are recharging times. Hiding in my bedroom and reading is how I recharge. Watching bad TV by myself is my favorite way to recharge.

As a kid I used to take "breaks" from parties. Without fail, at some point during a party, I will disappear for 20 minutes. As an adult it's probably me going into the kitchen to clean, but as a kid I would go to my room and read.

I have to edit my last comment, ALMOST every time I stay home instead of going. When I do go, on the way there I keep thinking it's going to be an awful time and it never is. I need to believe I'll have a good time more than dreading it.

100% introvert with horrible social anxiety. I am not very good at starting small talk and due to nerves I usually say stupid things I promptly regret the moment it’s out of my mouth. Add in my ADD and I’m usually just a hot mess in day to day life 😂

That’s probably why I like running so much. No need to interact with anyone unless I really have to. Even when I’m at the gym I make sure to have earbuds in and avoid eye contact as much as possible 😆

I'm an introverted extrovert. And extroverted introvert?

I can do either, but big groups can be exhausting. If we tie that back to race weekends (and the meetups) I will say that it's pretty easy to find smaller pockets of people to interact with because I am pretty sure there is a healthy number of introverts in here. For example, at HH during MW we started with one group at/around a table, and then it kind of grew and expanded and there was a larger group standing and talking, and a smaller group talking at the table still. Super easy to decide which one you wanted "in" on. And the pre-race meetups tend to be more of a "drop in" and informal with a lot of smaller side conversations. (And this is why even introverts should come to the meetups. ;) )

Also, x2 on what jmasgat said about the FOMO about things extroverts do....but I just don't want to put on real pants to leave the house. :rotfl2:
My sentiments exactly! I'm a homebody and when I'm in yoga pants, I dont' want to go out again. When I've dropped in on the Rise and Run meetup, I go from small pocket to small pocket.

I'm definitely an introvert. I teach and I'm an academic advisor, both of which I love, but they are both things that I "perform" and find very draining. Once I get home, I don't talk much, but my husband is an introvert, too, so that's ok. :)

I am an introvert who ends up sometimes having FOMO about the stuff that the extroverts do, but is too lazy? self-centered? to do anything about it. (And will now spend the $$ saved on therapy for that revelation to do something fun....by myself 😁 )
Totally agree. Sometimes I manage to make it a mission to do a specific thing that is more social, but I have to really make it a goal/task. Not to say that I don't enjoy it, but it's work of a sort.
I am not very good at starting small talk and due to nerves I usually say stupid things I promptly regret the moment it’s out of my mouth.
I agree about the small talk. I've sort of learned to start some small talk with my students because "it's my job", but in other situations I don't really care if I seem standoffish. Your comment about saying things you regret reminds me of The Bloggess. Do you read her blog? She does the same thing. She's also a humorist, so she writes about her incidents in a funny way, too.

Definitely an introvert. I need a lot of solo recharge time and do much better in small group/one on one settings.

I second Bree's sentiment of feeling like I'm not the best at small talk, and often kicking myself later for some of the things I say. I've always maintained that I'm a better writer than orator. Though the social anxiety has lessened since when I was younger.

Your comment about saying things you regret reminds me of The Bloggess. Do you read her blog? She does the same thing. She's also a humorist, so she writes about her incidents in a funny way, too.
Her post about Beyonce the chicken remains one of the funniest things I have read on the internet.

Aggressively introverted, putrecently foul mouthed when I do talk, and I have what is referred to in women as resting b!^<# face. Somehow I manage to turn on the charm and chit chat when I am at the register. Wife and daughter are both extraordinary extroverted, wife gets it when I need to decompress, daughter not so much but I don’t find it a chore to entertain her chattiness since I can be goofy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter