Are you still adding on the DDP when you go?

Just curious for those that consistently say it is too much food what do you eat when you eat TS, just the entree?

In my whole life, I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I order an appetizer OR desert! I pretty much always just get the entree. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy that pleasure while on DDP;) .

We have it down to a science.

Studio = DDP
1 Br = No DDP

When we have a 1 Br we really enjoy just hanging around the resort. So cooking is not something that bothers me.
When we are in a studio we tend to get out more. Great excuse to use the DDP.:yay:
Plus I figure if we are saving points, we should be rewarded.

We save money using the DDP vs OOP. Don't like to drink in the heat; so alcohol savings really aren't an incentive for us to purchase the discount card.

We rarely eat breakfast, especially on vacation; prefer an early lunch; then dinner around 6 or 7 p.m.

Typically, stretch the plan over an additonal day. Other than a turkey leg or 2 a day for JR;) we're covered.

Usually wind up taking rice krispie mickey bars back home:banana: to use up our snack credits.

Hope they keep offering it to DVC!

Without the DDP:

For health and diet reasons - we always drink water with our meals. I may have a glass of wine at dinner.

DS10 eats off adult menus, but does not like 99.9% of desserts (I have no idea how I gave birth to a child that does not like chocolate :scared1: - but I did)

We do not eat dessert after lunch.

DH and I never order an appetizer and share one dessert at dinner.

Now that DS is 10, I am positive that the DDP does not save us money. BUT - I also don't think it costs significantly more than we'd spend otherwise - maybe 100$ more, and it is very fun to not even think about the bill when we eat out. For our upcoming trip, we got both the DDP and DDE. I'm planning to not purchase the DDP at all when we go back in July. We'll have to see how much the DDE ends up saving us.

Just curious for those that consistently say it is too much food what do you eat when you eat TS, just the entree?

Our snacks we used for water and fruit. We did not spend any money out of pocket for food except beverages not on the DDP and we had at least one signature meal during the week.
Yes, I generally eat just the entree. I might have a nibble of my DH's appetizer or his dessert, but most often, I can't even finish just the entree much less adding more food to the meal. DH doesn't always get appetizer and dessert, either. It depends on which restaurant we're at and how hungry he is.

I don't eat any snacks between meals.

For water, we buy a case of it at Walmart when we get to town and keep it in the villa refrigerator to take to the parks with us.

We haven't tried it yet as it's new since the last time we were there - but I don't think we'll try it this year either mainly because our DS is turning 10 but doesn't eat more than a 7 yr. old. (he's ALMOST 53 lbs!) Having to pay the adult price for him irks me to the core. So I think we'll pass - might order the DDE card tho. Maybe when he's 15 & eating enough for 3 the DDP will work out for us! :lmao:

Thanks for those that shared why the DDP plan does not work for them. We don't cook any meals while on vacation, so it does work great for us.

We love dining out each night and we have our CS around 10:30 or 11am and then dinner in the evening. We did at least one Signature per week to use up 2 TS and only had our CS for that day.

We almost always get a salad with our meals, very seldom did we get any appetizers that were not, unless it was something very unique then we shared it.

As to the desserts, we ate them if the mood hit us, sometimes only a bite or two. I feel no guilt in leaving food on my plate.

As far as the CS desserts since we were at SSR, they were very lenient as to what a dessert can be so we mostly had our desserts at our room for an occassional snack which even included fruit and danish. Snacks we got fruit or water. We did not purchase any groceries, or spend any money out of pocket the entire week except for one beer and one daiquiri.

Between walking at the park, jogging at SSR and working out at the gym, we gained no additional weight.

So to the OP it works for some and for others it doesn't.

I guess it bothers me at times when I read these threads, that some seem to imply that if you like the DDP you are a food hog and you are going to gain 20 pounds in one week. I think unless you know what people are actually ordering on the plan and their activity level, it is not fair to categorize those that like it as "heavy eaters" or "gluttons" anymore than to say someone that prefers to cook their meals in their rooms does so because they are cheap. Just my opinion.

For those that think the DDP is too much food, what do you normally eat at Disney?

Is it because there is one TS per day. I can't see one CS and one TS per day as being much. Especially if you do any Signature then you don't have a TS for each day.

We almost never order regular appetizers or dessert, esp at WDW, but will get soup or salad at times. The only exceptions are when we have had the DDP or Food n Fun. Our preferred approach is 2 TS restaurants per day with a very light breakfast Or a late larger breakfast with a relatively early dinner. With discounts we generally spend less on two TS options per day including tax and tip than the DDP would cost us. We did use it to try it out and to have some adventure and eat at some of the more expensive options. It was WAY too much food. My wife said never again no matter what. But for certain situations, esp very short stays of 2-3 days, we likely will get it and plan the places that return a better value reserving the less expensive options for trips or portions of trips without the DDP.

For our family, we will use the DDP again if in a studio - since we don't really have too much of a kitchen to make an occasional dinner.

Also, it is much more convenient to use DDP if we use ME and don't have a car to grab groceries from Publix.

In the overall, though, the DDP did increase our food costs - I will have to look back at our last few vacations to see how much it increased the final food tally. (But I did enjoy knowing that the tip was included in what I already paid for the DDP!)

My one wish would be that Disney would let us have it for a portion of our stay vs linking it to every day of your reservation - the "all or nothing" aspect of the DDP kind of puts me off.

DDP is entirely too much food for my family and we over eat. However, I do feel it is the best value and will do it again in the future! We are afterall, on vacation and work everything off while walking through all the parks!

We used DDE in Feb for a 4 night stay and again in April for a 5 night stay. I kept track of how much we spent and figured that we saved approximately $25 in Feb and $40 in April. Each trip, we did not eat TS one of the nights, Although in Feb, we ate counterservice Breakfast twice and I think I included that amount. We also did not get snacks every day and when we did get snacks, they were shared - we each did not get our own. We did not have appetizers. We got dessert a couple of times, but they were shared.
In my opinion, I like DDE better because we order what we would eat and don't way over do it and come out cheaper. My DH likes DDP better because he feels the option of having a snack every day and the desserts at every meal is worth the little bit of extra money. He also prefers to eat at least one TS a day.

My family is 2 adults, 1 child, 1 2 year old. Our next trip, we are splitting up our stay and will do DDP the first half and DDE the second half of the trip.

One thing that was nice with the DDP- on our last day we had so many snack credits left we bought bags of Goofy's Candy Co. Candy and gave them as gifts to the kids' friends.

Right now, we really like the DDP - but I think it has a lot to do with the ages of our kids. We're still in the mode of doing a LOT of character meals and DDP is a real bargain for those. For example, CP the cost is $27.99 adult and $12.99 child. At current DDP prices, I've already saved money on my kids and just about broke even on the adults since DDP includes tax and tip. That makes the CS and snack pretty much free.

I know a lot of folks with older/grown children prefer the non-buffets and nicer restaurants. Most of our favorites from the pre-kid trips are 2 TS credits so I don't think the plan is a good deal for that type of dining.

We also travel with family/friends most of the time and DDP makes it very easy to split the bill.

We just did the DDP and I am so glad we did. We weren't going to do it because we thought we would have too much food and we really aren't big eaters and never order dessert. We do always do a TS once a day and we never cook on vacation even though we are usually in a 1 bedroom. We also do not have a DDE, even though we are AP holders. We will definately add it to our ressie for Nov.
Guess what, we ate almost everything!LOL We really liked having our own appetizers. After our 2nd meal, we learned to just tell the waitor we want to pace ourselves and were not in a rush and to give us time with each course. This worked out great. Sometimes we ate the dessert and sometimes we didn't. We still came out ahead. I really liked not worrying about prices or carrying money or tipping. When a waitor went above and beyond for us then we tipped extra. It just really worked well for us. The amount of food you get with a CS credit was unbelievable. We would eat an early lunch, like at 11:30am and have a late dinner. We have 2 kids, 9 & 4 and they always wanted their dessert!LOL We left with 2 CS credits that we didn't use, but that was because we didn't have our kids with us for one of those meals. I do have to add that since the DDP has been so popular, like the past year we have noticed the portions of the food, entrees and (some)appetizers are a lot smaller than they were. Oh, and we didn't gain a pound eating all that food!

I guess it bothers me at times when I read these threads, that some seem to imply that if you like the DDP you are a food hog and you are going to gain 20 pounds in one week. I think unless you know what people are actually ordering on the plan and their activity level, it is not fair to categorize those that like it as "heavy eaters" or "gluttons" anymore than to say someone that prefers to cook their meals in their rooms does so because they are cheap. Just my opinion.

I was looking at this from an economic perspective more than a "heavy eaters" or "gluttons" perspective. I looked over the menus, and did the math. If I were, for example, eating at ESPN I would only want to have the nachos for dinner. I would be too full to eat anything else, and I would probably have to share those with my two kids.

Also, I looked at the menu at Sci-fi. There I thought the bowl of chili sounded good, but once again that is just an appetizer.

I think what we are going to do is just go without the dining plan for the first 4 nights of our trip, and then go on it for the last 9 nights since we will be splitting our stay. It will also be the last year my son can be on the plan as a child - so why not!

Thanks for all of your advice. I really appreciate it.

Connie.

I have mixed emotions on the plan. The best part to me was that everybody could order what they wanted without me feeling it in the wallet. Nothing worse than my son ordering something very expensive and then decide he didn't like it. Or 11 year old ordering a $26 steak. I have to be frugal to make these vacations happen. That was probably the best part of it. Also being able to go to places like Le cellia and seeing a $220 bill and not have to pay it. Or the same at concorse.
What I miss is places like ESPN club and just eating nachos or a bucket of wings, not economical to go there with dinning plan. Also we would have the kitchen sink at B & Cream, thats a dinnerby inself. Really can't justify doing that while on the plan.
I think we are going to try going on the cheap next trip. No DDP! AHHH!! I'm afraid I will hate it. Last 2 trips used the plan and really enjoyed it.
My son will be working in the disney college program our next 2 trips, apparently we get 20 % off bill if he is with us. I am also wondering if we can share our dinners with him if not a Buffet if we had the DDP. I mean he will only be with us rarely when he's not working, and throwing food away just seams crazy. No Flames please. And be extra nice to cast members after June IT Might Be My Son !!! LOL He's the tall one in the picture below.

And be extra nice to cast members after June IT Might Be My Son !!! LOL He's the tall one in the picture below.

Aaahh, ok I will make sure I am nice, although I always am. We will be there in June!!! What will he be doing exactly?

We do both DDE and DDP, but we only do DDP during a split stay. We tend to use our table service credits for dinner at pricier restaurants, not at buffets, and not for breakfast.

For our trip in October, our DDP TS reservations are at Narcoossee's, Capt Jack's, and Le Cellier.

Aaahh, ok I will make sure I am nice, although I always am. We will be there in June!!! What will he be doing exactly?

This is his first time working there and suppose to be in Operations. He said he would float to cover other jobs so he could be anywhere. I am very excited for him, this is a great step toward reaching his goals. His dream job would be for ESPN. He's a communications major at The Ohio State.

DDP for us. We first experienced DDP last Sept. during 'Free' dining. A nice perk considering we were not yet DVC owners and paid rack rate for a 2 bedroom. Kids (and I use the term loosely) are 26 and 24. Son is 6'4" and can consume alot of food. Daughter out-eats son. Needless to say - a GREAT value to us. Have since used the DDP for our March stay and have already added it to our December ressies. Love the idea that all meals are already paid for - including tax and tip. Our favorites: Biergarten, Le Cellier, Fantasmic Dinner Package, Boma, Yachtsman Steak House and SSR Turf Club. I would have the cost of the days dining plan in one of these restaurants alone. The flexibility of 2 TS for a special dinner is also nice. We did California Grill and loved the view of Magic Kingdom.

I am wondering how DVC'ers are feeling about the Dining Plan. Are you still using it when you go, or are you either sticking to the DDE card, or for those who are sans a DDE, are you just paying as you go along?

We used it last year, and I was just thinking now that this is WAY too much food, and pain for the PS at the table service restaurants as well.

Let me know what you think, please. :goodvibes

I change my mind each day I think about it. Ultimatley, I'm siding with the DDE card - I want greater flexibility in eating schedules. Ultimately it may cost me 10-20% than the DDP, but I'll feel better.

Dirk

Thanks for those that shared why the DDP plan does not work for them. We don't cook any meals while on vacation, so it does work great for us.

We love dining out each night and we have our CS around 10:30 or 11am and then dinner in the evening. We did at least one Signature per week to use up 2 TS and only had our CS for that day.

We almost always get a salad with our meals, very seldom did we get any appetizers that were not, unless it was something very unique then we shared it.

As to the desserts, we ate them if the mood hit us, sometimes only a bite or two. I feel no guilt in leaving food on my plate.

As far as the CS desserts since we were at SSR, they were very lenient as to what a dessert can be so we mostly had our desserts at our room for an occassional snack which even included fruit and danish. Snacks we got fruit or water. We did not purchase any groceries, or spend any money out of pocket the entire week except for one beer and one daiquiri.

Between walking at the park, jogging at SSR and working out at the gym, we gained no additional weight.

So to the OP it works for some and for others it doesn't.

ITA - it's totally ridiculous that people on these boards constantly think that people who enjoy the DDP are gluttons or big eaters. Who says you have to order everything that is available to you - we don't! We like the DDP as well and we are very healthy eaters - no fast food, pop, candy, etc. We are used to eating 2 table service per day when using DDE (I grew up in an Italian restaurant family - very good food my entire life) - we order only what we know we are going to eat.

It really confuses me why people think they have to order everything that is offered. Like I said, we are very healthy, don't gain additional weight while on the DDP and love it because it suits our eating style, although counter service is the hardest part for us to manage (it's getting easier as Disney is offering more healthy options now) as we don't normally eat counter service at all. For snacks, we like to get water, fruit, perhaps an ice cream, etc.

We have done DDE and DDP, and like both for different reasons, but for kids ages 3-9, the DDP is a really great deal (especially since we always eat at character meals since our 3 yr. old loves them!). We are planners, so we always make ADRs at 180 days out and so this isn't an issue for us either (incidentally, we don't ever cook in our room either, but we are light breakfast eaters, so we may have toast, fruit, muffins or juice in our room).

Happy eating, Tiger :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter