Are you still adding on the DDP when you go?

We would not purchase it either if the tip is removed. I fully expect the price to increase over time but that change would really hurt the servers I think.

I haven't read that whole thread. Is it credible? WDW has had dining plans forever and tip has always been included. To change that next year which would be the 4th year of this plan seems unlikely. So many people would not notice that tip was no longer included.:confused3

Yes it is something we would do on every trip that is at least 7+ nights. I wouldn't even think of the DDP for a long weekend. We usually leave WDW for at least one day, so we have to use that extra TS somewhere. Don't you have to have an AP to get the DDE card?

That makes sense then, if that's what you're in the habit of. Do you have a TS meal on the nights you trade-in?

We would not purchase it either if the tip is removed. I fully expect the price to increase over time but that change would really hurt the servers I think.

I haven't read that whole thread. Is it credible? WDW has had dining plans forever and tip has always been included. To change that next year which would be the 4th year of this plan seems unlikely. So many people would not notice that tip was no longer included.:confused3

Agree, much of the value is in the included Tip. If we had planned to do a TS every day on a trip, we'd go with the DDP without a second thought.

If they pull the tip out, however, it's a definitive 'No Thank You'. :(

I have used the DDP twice now. I also have the DDE card...had it for two years, and it has more than paid for itself.
I'm going again in August, and have all my ADRs. We always have one TS meal a day, usually dinner. So, this time, I figured I would try to save money and not pay for the DDP...about $570 for the three of us. I have the DDE card, so figure I can use that for the dinners. Well, I have sat down, 4 times now, with my handy dandy calculator, ADRs and menus in hand. I have figured the cost using DDP only, I have figured it using both DDP and DDE, I have figured it using DDE and having breakfast and lunch in our villa. If I eat breakfast and lunch in the room, I save only about $50!!! And that includes only $25 a day for snacking!!! I figure that it makes more sense to just pay the $570 and be done with it. I sat with those stupid menus, I added up what we would eat if actually paying oop,(one appetizer, two desserts for the three of us), and it was still only a $50 difference. So, we'll pay the extra and be able to do counter service for lunch each day (better than pbj in the room) and eat breakfast in the room, with a nice snack each day....gotta have my sweet cream cheese pretzel and dolewhip each trip!!!!

However, if they do change the plan and take away the tip, I don't think we'll use it again. I like not having to worry about figuring anything out...just hand them the room key. It will amount to an 18% increase for us, so it won't be as economical in the long run. I would much rather they take away the dessert that is included in the counter service meals....we never eat it anyway.

Agree, much of the value is in the included Tip. If we had planned to do a TS every day on a trip, we'd go with the DDP without a second thought.

If they pull the tip out, however, it's a definitive 'No Thank You'. :(

Looks like it is credible, a few Disney Dining CM's have corroburated it. From what I understand the Union doesn't want the 18% removed, but WDW does. This will hurt both CM's and consumers of the product if they think it is as it has always been and do not tip--in addition I doubt they will discount the price of DDP so consumers will not do as well.

Looks like it is credible, a few Disney Dining CM's have corroburated it. From what I understand the Union doesn't want the 18% removed, but WDW does. This will hurt both CM's and consumers of the product if they think it is as it has always been and do not tip--in addition I doubt they will discount the price of DDP so consumers will not do as well.

Well, then I sincerely hope WDW is reading these boards still ... because I can see a major drop off in DDP purchases once people figure it out. And the CM's are going to get nailed because 'Repeat Users' are going to assume that Gratuity is included and be mighty upset if the CM asks for a tip. If they do go this route, they better have some huge signs to make it perfectly clear that Gratuity is no longer included in the DDP.

Yes, we will always get the DDP. No, we do not gain weight when we use it and no, I do not think it's too much food. How is 1 Ts and 1 CS meal a day too much food?? That always baffles me when people say that. :confused3 Even my 5 year old can easily eat that much food, especially with all the walking at WDW. We eat a resort/character breakfast most mornings. Some mornings we grab CS breakfasts. We eat a CS lunch almost every day-at MGM we do TS lunches. We eat a TS dinner EVERY night, and have ever since our first trip to Disney. So, the DDP does not force us to eat differently, we have always eaten this way at Disney.

We do not now or ever plan to cook on our vacations. We have the DDE card and we use it for resort/character breakfasts, a couple OOP TS lunches and alcohol. In 2006 we ONLY used the DDE, in 2007 we ate exactly the same and used the DDP. We saved a lot of money using the DDP, much more than using only the DDE. But, that's our family. We LIKE to make ADR's 6 months ahead, we LIKE to eat TS every night-including some signatures.

For our family the plan works, but it's not a perfect fit. I'd much more prefer a plan that gives two TS per day-similar the our old favorite the dreammaker silver plan. Disney dining asked me that question in a survey, so I hope that is something they are considering. :woohoo: We'd use it for breakfast and dinner every day, and yes, I'd happily pay more $$ for it.
Disney does have the premium plan, but you can't do it with DVC. We are considering using it for our May 2008 non-DVC POLY stay, but it's not a perfect fit. We won't do all the tours and extras that come with it, and we do prefer CS lunches most days, so we can keep seeing the parks. (the premium plan gives 3 TS meals a day).

I know the servers union and Disney are working on some changes. The one change-adding auto 18% gratuity to DDE card-is not a big deal to me. We always tip 20% anyway. The other change-removing the included 18% tip from DDP..I suppose it makes it less of a value. However, I have read many, many posters on the dining board complaining about how they wish the tip wasn't automatic because they got bad service, and didn't think the CM deserved 18%, blah, blah, blah. People have actually gone to managers demanding the tip be removed (which was impossible with the DDP). Well, now those posters may get what they want-a tip at their discretion. Personally, I'd rather pay more $$ for the plan and keep the tip as is. I think the CM's will suffer if this goes through and that's a shame.

That makes sense then, if that's what you're in the habit of. Do you have a TS meal on the nights you trade-in?

You don't actually have to use 1 TS per day. If we're staying 7 nights on the DDP, the 2 of us would get 14 TS, 14 CS & 14 snacks. You can use them at your own discretion.

You don't actually have to use 1 TS per day. If we're staying 7 nights on the DDP, the 2 of us would get 14 TS, 14 CS & 14 snacks. You can use them at your own discretion.

Nono, I understand that. ;) :goodvibes:

I was only suggesting, that as a rule of thumb, if families normally had one TS per day, then the DDP was likely a great benefit for them.

In our case, we have 1-2 TS meals over a 5 night stay, and [the only] one of those might be a dinner show ... so, for our habits, it's not worth it.

Sure, if we made ourselves eat 1 TS per day [on average], it would be different, but then I'm spending a lot more than I would have normally in order to save some.

I wonder ... if you link two reservations, to both have to be on DDP?

Nono, I understand that. ;) :goodvibes:

I was only suggesting, that as a rule of thumb, if families normally had one TS per day, then the DDP was likely a great benefit for them.

In our case, we have 1-2 TS meals over a 5 night stay, and [the only] one of those might be a dinner show ... so, for our habits, it's not worth it.

Sure, if we made ourselves eat 1 TS per day [on average], it would be different, but then I'm spending a lot more than I would have normally in order to save some.

I wonder ... if you link two reservations, to both have to be on DDP?

Then it definitely doesn't fit your plans. I'm not sure about the linking ressie's part. We're doing a long weekend in Dec in a studio without the DDP, then a 2 bdr for the next 6 nights with friends with the DDP. but I'm not sure what linking reservations means?

Then it definitely doesn't fit your plans. I'm not sure about the linking ressie's part. We're doing a long weekend in Dec in a studio without the DDP, then a 2 bdr for the next 6 nights with friends with the DDP. but I'm not sure what linking reservations means?

I'm just wondering if we could do a 2-3 night stay with DDP, then another 2-3 night stay, without it ... separate reservations, but linked so that we can stay in the same room.

I'm just wondering if we could do a 2-3 night stay with DDP, then another 2-3 night stay, without it ... separate reservations, but linked so that we can stay in the same room.

I'm pretty sure once they are linked you are "stuck" with the full amount of days. I don't link my reservations so I break them into a five day, a two day and a five day with the DDP on both 5 day ressies. It works for me and I really don't stress about hte move, but for others it may not be ideal.

I'm pretty sure once they are linked you are "stuck" with the full amount of days. I don't link my reservations so I break them into a five day, a two day and a five day with the DDP on both 5 day ressies. It works for me and I really don't stress about hte move, but for others it may not be ideal.

Bummer ... I figured as much ... the move is a bigger deal for us ... we like to stay where we're at once we're there. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter