Art the Greeter at the Beach Club

Tink901

WDW Bride 2009 All it takes is Faith, T
Hello Everyone -

I'm putting together a scrapbook for Art of stories and photos. I have lots of pictures of him from different times. I just wanted to put together something to show him that he is a "Icon" of the beach club.

If you have any stories or pics you would like to share with him please pm me or reply here.

I don't think he realizes how many scrapbooks and photo albums he really is in!!

I'm looking to give it to him for christmas.:santa:

Thank you for your time!

Brenda

Art is probably the nicest, most sincere person I've ever met. He is the epitome of a gentleman. When we stayed at BCV two years ago, I talked with him almost every day as we'd pass through the lobby.

My DS absolutely adored Art, because Art spoke with him as a peer, not as an adult talking to a little kid. They traded pins, and to this day DS won't trade the pin that he got from Art (Art gave him an extra pin, too :) ). When we we got back from our trip, DS told me that he liked Art better than any of the characters he'd met!

One of the highlights of our BC trip for my DD was trading pins with Art everyday - she loved him way more than stormalongbay! :goodvibes

bc-lobby-art.jpg

One of my boys thinks he is the best thing at WDW. Talked about him to grandma and grandpa when he got back from the Beach Club, how the guy told him he had a good salute, etc. It really made his whole trip.

He's fantastic. I don't know what Disney pays him, but it isn't enough.

What a wonderful idea! I ran up to him just like a little kid when we stayed at the BC and yelled, "I have to get your picture; you're a celebrity!!" He was so gracious and gave me a salute for the picture.

I'll see if my DW would be so kind as to post the picture we have with Art, but, I'll at least contribute some back story. First of all, I believe that Art's been the greeter at the Beach Club since it first opened. I remember having taken several trips where I've stayed there and without a doubt, I would say that I've not really "stayed" at Beach Club until I've had the pleasure of seeing Art. Still, moving on to the particular story:

My wife & I were there in October 2006 for our hunnymoon and after having pin traded a few times (including once with a very sweet young boy who asked her on the boat to MGM "Do you trade?" in the sweetest voice possible), my wife had a pin of a dog who both she & I vaguely recognized, but couldn't for the life of us really figure out who it was, or even from which Disney movie he was from. We were certain it was an "official" pin (had the right stamps on the back, etc), but we couldn't figure out WHO IT WAS A PIN OF!

We were staying at the Beach Club and, having a bit of extra time available that I, I suggested that we ask Art (also gave me a chance to introduce my bride to one of the nicest gentlemen I've ever met) as he is full of information. After chatting with him for a few minutes, we did ask him, showing him the pin. He was completely stumped. But, as anyone who's reading and contributing to this thread knows, that will NOT stop Art from getting the answer! :thumbsup2

Art proceeded to ask first a couple of people at the Front Desk who he thought would know; no luck. Then he went and brought out Hurley from Guest Services who knows quite a lot about the pins. Hurley looked at the pin, stared at it, knew he'd seen the character, but was as stumpted as we were. So, then between Hurley & Art, they enlisted half of the people who were working in the Beach Club to help figure out who that little dog was!

Ultimately, they brought out Jaime who, without a moment of hesitation, told us that it was Dodger from Oliver & Company. In a sense, it figured... after all, it was the Artful Dodger in the non-Disney version, & who did we ask to help track down the answer, but none other than Art himself! :rotfl2:

In any event, Art, as always, was absolutely wonderful. So were Hurley & Jaime of course, too. So, what did we do? We went over to Guest Services at one of the parks & wrote up all three of them (individually) for recognition by Disney for their EXCEPTIONAL service. Also, & please feel free to use this, anyone & everyone, we recommended that Art be given a special title, as befits his station, & personality.

We've named Art to be the Grand Admiral of the Beach Club. Without a doubt, he's one of the nicest, & most magical, people around, & he is what makes the Beach Club our first choice resort.

Tink, my DH is mrmagicmph. I'll post the picture of DH, Art and I. If you want a better version of the picture PM me and I will e-mail you with it. We love Art, I even asked him if he would sign my autograph book and he said, "I would be honored." We are going to make a point to go over to the Beach Club this time around just to say Hi to him. :goodvibes
LarryMaryAndArt.jpg

I love your idea, Tink! I'll always remember that Art was the first castmember to give my daughter a Mickey sticker on her very first trip to WDW and the Beach Club (at 17 months old). It was her first bit of Disney magic and we hadn't even checked in yet!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!

I appreciate everyone helping me with this!:thumbsup2 Thanks for the notes, pictures and the pm's.

This is going to be a ongoing project I won't be giving it to him until the 1st week of December during my mvmcp visit. :santa:

This will mean so much to him, I will take pictures and post them when i present him with the album.:wizard:

Thanks again!
Brenda

I don't have any pictures, but I just wanted to say that we LOVE seeing Art when we visit the Beach Club. We stayed at the YC a couple of years ago. It was such a treat to see his smiling face when we passed through the lobby there.

I agree with the statement that whatever Disney pays him...it's not enough! He always has a smile and is so cheerful.

Just wanted to let you know that he made our day many times and even perked us back up when we were lagging!!!

I didn't know about Art !! Is he at the Beach Club every day ? We won't be staying at the BC, but have an ADR for Cape May and it'd be an honor to meet him.

We all absolutly ADORE Art! On our trip in December my DBF became really close to him and would go downstairs every morning just to talk and hang out with him!

I didn't know about Art !! Is he at the Beach Club every day ? We won't be staying at the BC, but have an ADR for Cape May and it'd be an honor to meet him.

He works Tues - Sat everyweek. I think he is there from about 8am - 3pm I know he takes a later lunch.

He is a very humble man, I wish there were more like him! He truly enjoys meeting people and making new friends. He truly appreciates that people take the time to stop and say "hi". He enjoys taking pictures with everyone, so I thought this would be a way for him to realize how many people he touches while at work.

I've gotten to the point that no trip is complete without some time to visit, talk and take pictures with him. Without seeing him the trip just doesn't feel right.

Brenda

He works Tues - Sat everyweek. I think he is there from about 8am - 3pm I know he takes a later lunch.

He is a very humble man, I wish there were more like him! He truly enjoys meeting people and making new friends. He truly appreciates that people take the time to stop and say "hi". He enjoys taking pictures with everyone, so I thought this would be a way for him to realize how many people he touches while at work.

I've gotten to the point that no trip is complete without some time to visit, talk and take pictures with him. Without seeing him the trip just doesn't feel right.

Brenda

Thank you so much for the quick answer. Our ADR is for 8am on a Friday so hopefully we'll get to meet him and maybe even add our picture/story to your scrapbook :banana:
This has got to be the sweetest idea ever. :hug:

Art is the best we stayed there last year. Ds8 traded with him. I loved back back and seeing him there to say hi to everyone he is the best greeter I dont think there is anyone else like Art.

Thanks for the kind words to me for doing this for him. I just want to do something special - he is an incredible man.

I always say "its the little things that mean the most" and to him just a guest taking the time to talk to him is it. So I just wanted to do something for him to give back.

Thanks again!
Brenda

The Beach Club Villas is our "home away from home" and we stay there every year. We always check in on a Sunday, so we never see Art on check-in day. The next morning, we always make a detour on the way to the busses to see Art in the lobby and to say hello. Our trip hasn't officially started until we've said hello to Art. He is truly a treasure. He has touched so many lives over the years.

The Beach Club Villas is our "home away from home" and we stay there every year. We always check in on a Sunday, so we never see Art on check-in day. The next morning, we always make a detour on the way to the busses to see Art in the lobby and to say hello. Our trip hasn't officially started until we've said hello to Art. He is truly a treasure. He has touched so many lives over the years.

RSoxFan -

I love that you interview boyfriends by taking them to WDW, I do the same and they have to get by Art and be approved :thumbsup2 . LOL

Your so correct no trip does officially start til you see the salute from Art and hear the hello.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter